Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I've watched quite a few Gundam series but I still don't know jack about different gundam models at all, and the premise sounds utterly terrible.

That being said, this trailer introduced me to a rapier fencing gundam complete with a somewhat proper stance for rapier fencing. What is that model?!

v Shows how ignorant I am. At least I got *something* out of this series.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Err, I dropped this show because I wasn't really engaged in the first episode, but my friend hinted me that some character sharing my nationality makes an appearance so I have to see it because we finns care way too much how we're portrayed even if it's completely non-sensical and non-factual. And I'm in the middle of the third episode, and this is an honest to good show? It seems they can kind of march all these outrageous personalities on to the stage without breaking the plot. Kind of brilliant. Awesome comedic moments like the SIEG ZEON moment in the third episode.

...I don't have any lectures tomorrow, and I want to binge this show so hard, but I registered for my student society's breakfast meeting early morning because, hey, free breakfast?! :byodood:
I regret that so hard now. :suicide:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Thinking that the methane clathrate honcho wants to discover plavsky secrets or something. I bet it's about energy generation or something. And team nemesis is supposed to somehow help them do it?
Also, holy poo poo, Kaiser was Finnish too?! For the record, his name makes no sense to be Finnish (Or Swedish - well, maybe just little more. He'd be from Mariehamn, capital of a Swedish-speaking autonomous island that's a part of Finland). Go evil corporate team Finland :toot: I'm betting the plavsky engineers aren't exactly saints either, though.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 11, 2013

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This episode made me realize that battleships are probably not completely out of the question in this show. I've watched a bit of Gundam but I'm still absolutely clueless about pretty much everything concerning names or units, I completely gloss over them - and frankly I don't care - Well, I have a rough idea what a Zaku looks like and what-not but still... But give me Archangel (or any battleship) kicking some rear end (Hah, I wish) complete with a nerdy crew acting out weapons officer roles and what-not like from some Artemis LAN party and I'd be completely swooned over. That makes me think, how come some people get a co-pilot with them in Gunpla battles? Can they actually check instruments/do fiddling with power management, etc. so the pilot can actually focus on piloting? How is that fair towards solo pilots? Or are they not just shown in the anime?

I unironically like SEED best just because of the drat battleship scenes... I prefer the "gritty realistic" battles of... 08th MS Team - name escapes me... and god drat spaceship battles over flashy shounen bullshit. Am I weird? I mean, I probably shouldn't be watching Gundam for battleships, right?

...Does any specific Gundam show do ship battles better than others?

vv Yeah, which is why I'd love to see a full crew of a battleship in some episode, even if they fail spectacularly. Subset of Gundam fans that are neglected and want to show that ships are not completely useless, if you will. A bit similar in theme with the bar full of Zeon military hardcore nuts and this episode's ex-girlfriend squad. It'd fit the theme, in a way.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 17, 2013

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I like Aila's reaction to all these stupid shenanigans. :colbert: ...Well, I mean GunPla battles are cool, but... No, seriously, in terms of in-universe, how could anyone take this sports... err, e-sports seriously? First the huge Gundam, now the lottery for weapons. It'd be basically impossible to have any sort of neutral observer making sure the games aren't rigged somehow. You'd think there'd be a huge outrage by now.

I don't take it that seriously, it's just a fun show, but still! :arghfist:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I feel like a terrible person for identifying with the Renato brothers: Having that experience in a game where the opponent/the audience thinks they're hot stuff when it's entirely possible to peg them down and you're not just so vocal about your loving "skill level" and could care less about the community around it. And when you do take guys like that by a surprise, it feels so good man. :c00l:

...And then you realize you take the game too seriously and lost the spiritual battle like the Renato brothers did. :qq:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I kind of didn't feel the fight for this episode, it didn't feel quite as spectacular as the previous ones. Also, I almost always keep cheering on the opponent instead of the protagonist. I think Nils' goals are perfectly reasonable by themselves. :colbert: I almost laughed out loud by the clacking of his... traditional Japanese shoes, though.

Bimmi posted:

What the gently caress is Moomin doing there?

I had to watch this god drat episode early just because of this (I missed the screenshot). Moomin is/was supposed to be quite popular in Japan, and, well, Aila and Moomin come from the same place, I guess? :shrug: For the record, imagine my shock how my childhood memories were utterly corrupted when as a long-time anime hater (Dude, Pokémon as a kid made me want to stab my eyes) I realized Moomin the animated series was animated in Japan. :negative:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

I wanted to mention this and see if anyone else thought the same thing...
When China gets interviewed about how Sei is in school and she tells the world he's a goof off, I know his mom was upset because that casts her son in a bad light. But did anyone else flashback to her daydream about being the center of attention at a media conference where shes pointed out as being such a lovely woman as much as her having a gunpla family and think maybe she was also a little upset they asked some classmate about Sei when they could/should have put her in the spotlight instead?

I think she's more pissed off about the fact Sei is goofing off at school more than anything else.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I find that the series got a lot more grim now, with Aila's PAIN-INDUCING PERFORMANCE ENCHANCING TORTURE HELMET. Also, first signs of technology that's a little weird for our time apart from the black box that is Plavski particles - Yeah, I know the series takes place in the future. Everything else now, even the GunPla mafia guy was a little goofy. Even if he had a fight with Ramba/Sei's dad, he still took off/and/or/ was carrying no deadly weapons as far as I remember.

Sorry for spouting :patriot:-esque stuff, but the speculation that Aila is a street urchin may be accurate, but for the record (as if Sunrise bothered to do such research) - at least in the present - there are absolutely no street urchins in Finland because of how our social services work. Yeah, some weird cases can be out there, but no "Sleeping on train station benches" -stuff. To be fair though, the show could be throwing us a curve ball here.

Is it just me or did Aila's co-pilot/doctor guy seem genuinely concerned for Aila's welfare in the end? (Well, that doesn't excuse him pushing the button at all, though). Also, what the heck is Flana Institute? Some sort of education system?... Newtype poo poo? Apparently Flanagan Institute is a thing in Gundam continuity.

I liked someone pointing out they didn't cut to the grandson when Quebeley was tearing poo poo up in a frenzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I just marathoned the four latest episodes and as a non-hardcore fan (The only reference I've gotten lately was Celestial Being and that was called out loud) this series was definitely entertaining. So much good action. Maan. Perhaps not the most deep show, but definitely stupid fun.

Only thing I was left wanting was moving statues and BATTLESHIPS but I guess we can't have everything.

• Locked thread