Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Caros posted:

Well I think one of the reasons I am hyped for Build Fighters is that it plays to the thing I like about Gundam, giant fighting robots.

A lot of shows, SEED, 00 to an extent, Unicorn especially really hammer in the pacificsm theme to the detriment of the mobile suit combat. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing all the time, but I'll admit I got kind of bored in the last episode of Unicorn when 90% of the OVA was taken up by bickering, newtype bullshit and side co-prosperity plotting.

By its nature Build Fighters allows for guiltless battling. You can have two characters kick the poo poo out of each other without having to constantly have them retreat or worry about watching 15 flashbacks of "NICOLLLLLL!!!! STELLAAAAAAA!!!!"

I've seen a few people with that opinion. However 00 and Unicorn handle the whole pacifism ideal way better than SEED did. The last episode of Unicorn felt like it was just a huge set up for episode 7, which seeing as it is now feature film length, I've got really high expectations for it. As for BF, I'm liking it way more than I thought I would. As you all have said the fight choreography is awesome. If this is the goofy fun we get before the Origin comes in and blows minds, I'm 100 percent game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Caros posted:

Oh I agree with that 100% SEED's attempt at dealing with pacifism is Kira getting a Mobile Suit that is so strong no one can really fight against him. Unicorn has had some wonderful action scenes intermixed, but I guess I just get annoyed at Banager's Newtype brain problems as he yells at people for the 30th time to stop fighting.

At the end of the day I just like BF because it lets you have fun with Gundam. Excluding G Gundam the vast majority of the series is pretty loving depressing, and for once its fun to see a straight up Shonen Battle Anime about my favorite robots.

I'd go check out some of the games and sidestories if you want a bit more on the side of happier. I'd be happy to link some stuff in the actual Gundam thread for you, I just don't want to derail here anymore than I have.

I also want to note, I'd love to see Sei take after his dad and wind up with the Build Nu instead of the Build Freedom. Especially since we see Reiji as a Build Mk. 2 in the credits.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 20, 2013

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

But God Gundam already had two God Fingers in its show.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRAOhrmJIdA - 3:54

What he needs is the silver feet to compliment those golden fingers.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Srice posted:

I know it goes without saying but holy crap the internet comments from elsewhere about this episode are really lovely and terrible.

I shudder to think about just the YouTube comments alone.

Am I the only one who saw the damage done to the Build Strike and just shuddered at the thought at it happening to my stuff?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Gundam Build Fighters - The Shinkyo Gunpla School, OUR GUNPLA ARE BURNING RED!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Perfect Grade Gunpla battle. Bring it on boys. :smug:

Not much variety suit wise there. Besides it'll just wind up being PG Strike Freedom vs Perfect Grade 00 Raiser in the finale anyway.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Pffft. SF's backpack would probably snap at the first attempt to use the Dragoons, and 00 Raiser literally can't move unless you push in the condensors on his limbs.

Man I wish I could afford a PG so I could test that.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So this is a thing and I immediately want one for my HGs.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2013/11/gundam-build-fighters-hg-1144-custom_9.html

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I hate to be that guy, but I'd by lying if I said I really had thought too deep into this show enough to think if it has sexist implications or not. I mean, the thing was marketed to kids as a push to sell toys, and as others have said, it didn't stick out to me anywhere as bad as AGE. The only reason I didn't like Kirara is because I don't like idol characters. China is there to be an audience surrogate, and that's really about as much as I'm taking from it. It's a big, dumb fun show that wound up being way higher quality than I really expected and honestly I'm pretty ok with that. If this means that it does well enough from toy sells to fund the next big Gundam series after the Origin, awesome. If it gets people into a pretty niche hobby that they can derive as much joy from it as myself and others, even better. It's a dumb kids show and isn't pretending to be otherwise. It may have a mostly adult audience in mind, but I'm sure that wasn't the intention at first.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: haha Allenby cameo!

Fixed that for you.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Episode 10 here for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0izJERZkVRg

Looks like Aila is indeed being set up as a love interest for Reiji. Given their interactions in this episode, I can't say I object.

Also, Tatsuya really should have invested in a more concealing brand of sunglasses.

Oh yeah, definitely loved the Aila and Reiji interactions. Their fight over food had me in stitches.

So this episode completely won me over on the Star Build Strike. All I'd seen was the high grade, but seeing it in action was just fun.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Got to admit, the game designer part of me sees this and thinks Gunpla Battles are crazy broken, how does one achieve the sort of poo poo they get to pull off there? It does seem to amount to magic protagonist advantage. I must make clear this is not really a criticism of the show.

And a fine choice it is, superb HG kit if you ask me. What was the red Gundam with that group, beside The O?

Speaking of, I think the woman in Sei and Reiji battle was in a Ciqueroga. As with Turn X, I hope this show is effectively promising an HG kit for it. But each time something like Cobra Gundam or that lance one out F91 show up I have to think it's a little less likely. Abigor looks cool too.

Does Rainer's Gelgoog, with the booster skirt, exist in continuity with a kit, or is that to be taken as his own mods?

That was the Gundam Visirgo from X if I recall correctly.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I was very dissapointed when the MG Jesta went back up in price. Between it and the cannon those are my favorite grunt suits.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

This entire episode was basically the writers being shown this and told to make an episode about it.

I have no idea how anyone could possibly dislike GIANT ROBOT BASEBALL.

I'll second that statement. HG Baseball Build Strike when?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Powerstone posted:

A 540 miles per hour fast ball.

Expect nothing less from the spherical coffin.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I'm really curious what that EX-S showed in the preview will have to do with the next fight.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

"This Party Nu isn't just for show!"

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The episode itself was great, but honestly seeing everyone from various Gundam series get their happy ending made the episode completely worth it.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm more hoping for the adventures of Takashi Iori, Gunpla Detective.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Caros posted:

I'm right there with you my MG brother.

As did I.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Dumb as it sounds I either want what is essentially Gundam Build Fighters: Battle City Arc or Takeshi Iori: GUNPLA DETECTIVE. Go full wacky.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm just amazed the loving Re-GZ got an upgrade.

Give me MG Re-GZ 2.0 Bandai.

EDIT: There's a Powered GM lurking in the toy section too. It'll probably belong to this season's Ral.

From bits I've picked from /m/ that may be the villain suit. Take that with a grain of salt though.

Also burning Gundam looks rad.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

China's brother needs to be voiced by Yuuichi Nakamura so I can by extension make more Preventer Lightning jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm super excited for Dragonar 3Z8.

• Locked thread