Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Official Trailer:

Releasing October 1st, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxRf8LuPqmA

2K14 debuts as a mostly incremental change from previous years, with a revamped special mode, reportedly largely improved defense that rebuilt how on-ball defensive actions (like steals and blocks) work, along with improvements to ball handling and passing. The controls are going through another revamp (queue teeth gnashing as everyone re-learns how to shoot) with the right thumbstick now controlling both shooting AND ball-handling moves without a modifier.

Gone is any sort of Legend Mode, as well as the Dream-Team or Classic Teams. In their place is Path To Greatness, the ultimate NBA Fan Fiction where YOU decide what magic adventures await Lebron!

IGN http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/26/nba-2k14-review posted:

In fact, the lone major new mode this year is LeBron: Path to Greatness, a thematic opposite of 2K12’s revered Jordan Challenge. Rather than allow you to recreate and virtually relive King James’ biggest career moments the way His Airness’ mode did, it instead lets you play out LeBron’s hypothetical future, either by staying with the Heat and building a dynasty or, far more appealingly, testing free-agent waters. The latter option takes James from the Heat to the Knicks and eventually back to the Cavs, putting him in fantastical scenarios both with and against even more fantastical superteams, such as a LeBron/CP3/Howard-led Knicks roster against a Rose/Melo/Wade-fronted Bulls squad. It’s fun, but it’s nowhere near as compelling as playing out some of the greatest moments in NBA history in Jordan Challenge. Puzzlingly, this mode doesn’t allow you to save your progress mid-game and come back later the way the rest of 2K14 does, and that’s a needless annoyance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Cl5fci8lQ

I don't know about anyone else, but I usually spend 95% of my time in myPlayer and Franchise mode, so these other game modes aren't that big of a deal. Sadly, it looks like Franchise Mode/myPlayer is largely is unchanged, which means at least another year before much investment will show up there.

In past games slider adjustments made the game dramatically better, but with the new defense it'll probably take some time to see what, if any, adjustments will be needed.

Competitor NBA Live 2014 has a release date of November 13th and will only be available on XBone and PS4 if they actually release anything.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If you are getting a PS4/Xbone might as well just wait til November.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

If you are getting a PS4/Xbone might as well just wait til November.

I'd be willing to bet the game will look identical, but that is a good point.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

So I guess the PC version will be notably inferior once again when it comes to features / patches?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

beer_war posted:

So I guess the PC version will be notably inferior once again when it comes to features / patches?

Considering it cost half as much as the console versions, probably.

I heard they're taking out Create a Legend, what the gently caress

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

beer_war posted:

Even more so since they are getting a stripped down version of the PS360 version.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

Considering it cost half as much as the console versions, probably.

I heard they're taking out Create a Legend, what the gently caress

Yeah, it is gone. I never really played it much, but it was a cool feature and I'm not sure why its gone. They basically left myCareer identical so I find it hard to believe there is a technical reason why it was left out.

myTeam will have tournaments for all-bronze, all-silver, etc, which is nice and might even get me to try online. I believe you will be able to do offline tournaments as well.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
A new trailer for Next gen 2K14 was just released:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151633690366363

EDIT: Better quality link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJoyobk0tVM

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 30, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

oh poo poo the PC version is being released the same day... Hmm

God I love 2k. It's crazy just how much better the next gen version of 2k14 looks than Madden 25.

Now if only they cared about the PC customers :smith:

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 1, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I just care about the new pickNroll reactive system and fixed offensive rebounding at this point. That's all I ask, because I already know your rosters will be dogshit.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Lockback posted:

I'd be willing to bet the game will look identical, but that is a good point.

Yeah, about that. You might want to check out some of the next-gen clips/the TV spot.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Mandrel posted:

Yeah, about that. You might want to check out some of the next-gen clips/the TV spot.

There's a quick shot of Harden in the new trailer and it's stunning how good the game looks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mandrel posted:

Had there been any gameplay clips more than 2 seconds? When the ps3/360 came out any cross-gen title was, at best, very marginally better. It'll take a while to take advantage of the hardware. I tend to not believe 2 second promo clips.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
I'm downloading 2k14 on Steam now. Got a key from an outside site for $24. Hopefully they actually patch the PC version!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

vegaji posted:

I'm downloading 2k14 on Steam now. Got a key from an outside site for $24. Hopefully they actually patch the PC version!

I caved and bought it. It's crashing after the opening cinematic for me :smith: I should have known better.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Dexo posted:

oh poo poo the PC version is being released the same day... Hmm

God I love 2k. It's crazy just how much better the next gen version of 2k14 looks than Madden 25.

Now if only they cared about the PC customers :smith:
I'd be happy with them caring enough to actually release a PC patch (2k13 still has all the offensive rebounding issues etc because they NEVER patched it at any point).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Chris de Sperg posted:

I'd be happy with them caring enough to actually release a PC patch (2k13 still has all the offensive rebounding issues etc because they NEVER patched it at any point).

Were you able to fix that with sliders at all? Even post patch I still set the sliders way down for offensive rebounding and way up for defensive.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

Were you able to fix that with sliders at all? Even post patch I still set the sliders way down for offensive rebounding and way up for defensive.

The problem is that sliders only work if you're playing association or random matches, not the Create A Legend/Myplayer modes.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

So if anyone was wondering/didn't know, the way the right thumbstick thing works is you hold down LT to pass and RT to shoot.

RT is still also sprint, so this clearly means one thing: pull-up threes everywhere.

e: hahahahahahaha the loving "no decent players on blacktop on pc" bug is still loving in

Chris de Sperg fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 2, 2013

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RT is only sprint. You don't need to hold RT to shoot, you just use the right thumbstick.

So far I'm enjoying it. The defensive changes feel a lot better, my fantasy association I use Larry Sanders to just roam the paint and the body contact is far better. The controls take a lot of getting used to, I keep passing out of fast breaks hitting LT trying to dunk.

I'm finding it harder to drive from the perimeter, that may just be getting used to it though. And free points from the post seems like it's gone, though the post still feels overpowered.

Alot more goaltending, but the loose ball physics are better.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 2, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You mean they fixed everyone becoming Hakeem Olujuwaon in the post as soon as you do the tap->quick tap for the lay-up?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

You mean they fixed everyone becoming Hakeem Olujuwaon in the post as soon as you do the tap->quick tap for the lay-up?

So far. Post play feels a lot better, its a lot more important where you are positioned when you get the pass, rather than just backing down, head-fake, shoot. Mid-range shots feel tweaked too, in 2k13 I had problems where open 15 footers would miss more than contested 3s. Now open mid-range hits a lot more reliably.

I think I'll probably jack everyone's quickness up once I get a feel for more sliders. Players feel heavier and sluggish.

Also, in extremely limited playing trade offers look a bit better. CPU fantasy drafting is still poo poo. Cavaliers picked Dwight, Noah, Amare, Scola with their first 4. Good luck with that!

Music is very solid. Not sure how much Lebron picked out as the "Special Music Curator" but so far I like it.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Well, things don't seem much different at all with MyPlayer except for one small, but wonderful, customization option...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
How easy/hard is it to block shots now?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

peer posted:

How easy/hard is it to block shots now?

Somewhat easier. If you drive right at a guy or trying to post up a bigger player who has superior position its pretty easy to get a block. If you do a weak-side roam you can usually get blocks too. This year those weakside blocks often go flying into the stands which is a nice touch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Did the game cut down on the number of shots that bounce out of bounds? That was really annoying last year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

Did the game cut down on the number of shots that bounce out of bounds? That was really annoying last year.

Haven't played enough games yet. I can't remember seeing more than 1 or 2. Players do seem like they are better at doing stuff near the sideline without going out of bounds, but rocket passes to guys seems like it's more likely to go through their hands, which seems more realistic.

Another thing which I liked was more talking points about minor players. In my association I have Ronnie Brewer and Wes Johnson, both of which had 2 sound bites about (they talked about how Brewer is a hustle guy despite being a bigger guard and how Wes has such a sweet looking shot but basically sucks).

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
So I braved Gamestop to buy this drat no I don't want to preorder call of duty or sign up for an account or poo poo just give me my dumb basketball game. Seems okay so far, I barely played 2k13 though so I don't really know what's changed.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Sucks about the no classic teams thing. The classic moments in 2012 was really fun

edit: Its 2014 and I still cant put Amare glasses on my player. some bullshit. Nba2k1 had this

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 2, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

the_american_dream posted:

edit: Its 2014 and I still cant put Amare glasses on my player. some bullshit. Nba2k1 had this

The nightmare continues.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I like the new pick and roll system. Harden/Howard pick and roll all day every day

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I've been looking into this game to see if they've bothered fixing any of the major annoyances with career mode, and am pretty disappointed by what I've seen/heard about so far. For those that play the mode a lot, do they still not let you just pick what team you want to play for by requesting/forcing a trade? Do you still have to sit through inane post-game questions that have one-sentence answers that may or may not match the paragraph-long answer that your player actually gives? Is talking to your team's GM still the most incomprehensibly awful, unnecessarily drawn-out "experience" that makes you want to pull your teeth out because for some god drat reason they don't let you just hit A and skip all the dialogue?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

VDay posted:

So I've been looking into this game to see if they've bothered fixing any of the major annoyances with career mode, and am pretty disappointed by what I've seen/heard about so far. For those that play the mode a lot, do they still not let you just pick what team you want to play for by requesting/forcing a trade? Do you still have to sit through inane post-game questions that have one-sentence answers that may or may not match the paragraph-long answer that your player actually gives? Is talking to your team's GM still the most incomprehensibly awful, unnecessarily drawn-out "experience" that makes you want to pull your teeth out because for some god drat reason they don't let you just hit A and skip all the dialogue?

Yeah pretty much, all this is still in there.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

So according to nba2k14 the titular character/best player in the world will become a FA in 14-15 and will literally sign up for nickles and pennies to chase championships in new york. Does 2k know something we don't :tinfoil:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What did New York possibly offer Chicago to get Rose, Butler and Noah?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

What did New York possibly offer Chicago to get Rose, Butler and Noah?

If it's anything like 2k13, a lot of 5 star 1st rounders.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

So according to nba2k14 the titular character/best player in the world will become a FA in 14-15 and will literally sign up for nickles and pennies to chase championships in new york. Does 2k know something we don't :tinfoil:

I like that Grant Hill came out of retirement to play the point.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
Grant Hill probably would come out of retirement to play for that team, but I assume it's George.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

In 2015 Lebron and Durant will be battling each other for the championship belt with their mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Okay the draft sequence freaks me the gently caress out when they straight up put sound clips from the actual draft.

Also, the new controls (seriously 2k, stick to one) are so confusing and it seems like it just takes out any comfort for button-only shooters.

• Locked thread