Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grem posted:

I go back and forth between HoF and... Pro? I think it is, the medium setting. The missed alley oop for three points was on HoF.

I have a tough time going any higher than whatever is above pro because the game doesn't get harder, it just makes you miss shots for no good reason. You'll also foul every single time you hit X.

Like, the AI does identical moves at all levels of difficulty, it just makes it so their shots go in literally every single time while yours clank for 25% FG every game. Good luck doing a post move on the highest difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I just run straight down a little off the center lane. When the defending SG makes a move I cut to the edge and run around him. Drive to the bucket when there's no one between me and it. Usually end up with an easy lay up or dunk. I shoot around 80% doing this on HoF mode.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

I just run straight down a little off the center lane. When the defending SG makes a move I cut to the edge and run around him. Drive to the bucket when there's no one between me and it. Usually end up with an easy lay up or dunk. I shoot around 80% doing this on HoF mode.
Heck, this works when my center gets a rebound and goes coast to coast too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grem posted:

Yeah thats what I do to get respectable numbers in HoF but I get bored of it after a while. I turn the difficulty down to pro and try to cross-over fools, which is a lot more fun for me.

Stigmata
Jul 5, 2004

Oh Trey!
Can anyone say definitively if the Level 3 signature move bug is fixed on the 360 version of 2k14? I'm looking at Level 3 Finisher in particular but there's still some mixed information on if it'll destroy your character's finishing skill or not.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Angrily demanded a trade from the 76ers. Got the wingman thing and since I'm a PG I figured I could use the practice. Anyway the guy I'm supposed to feed is Danny Granger (started right after he was traded). He ended up scoring about 12, passed up tons of shots, and shot about 40%. In the process I turned it over 13 times (which is on me, sure). Next game they move me to SG and start MCW at point. Forget that. Bad enough they have tons of people standing around the 3 pt line who never shoot from there when I get double teamed, looking at you Thad, cut or something dude if you're not going to shoot.

Anyway Houston was the most interested in me and have a SG so I'd definitely play point. Miami and NY were both interested too, so those were the three I picked. Of course I get the message they couldn't find an acceptable trade, great.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I finally made it far enough in MyCareer for free agency. The year prior to that my Jazz came back from a 0-3 deficit against the Cavs in the finals with me scoring 60 point double doubles every game and filling the rest of the stat sheet with 5x5s. Finals MVP, #3 rated player in the league, #1 at PG, and all the offers I got were valuable bench minute rolls on lovely teams, including the Cavs.

Severely disappointed.

I ended up taking starter minutes with the Lakers who had Lowry and Lebron and nothing else.

Larz2021
Feb 2, 2001
Is there a way / option to tell the dumbass AI *dont* pass me the ball right now? Playing on the Jazz Trey Burke absolutely loves to throw the ball at me when Im running out to set a pick, or other times Ill be just trying to get into position on the block and they chuck it at me.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

I finally made it far enough in MyCareer for free agency. The year prior to that my Jazz came back from a 0-3 deficit against the Cavs in the finals with me scoring 60 point double doubles every game and filling the rest of the stat sheet with 5x5s. Finals MVP, #3 rated player in the league, #1 at PG, and all the offers I got were valuable bench minute rolls on lovely teams, including the Cavs.

Severely disappointed.

I ended up taking starter minutes with the Lakers who had Lowry and Lebron and nothing else.

I thought free agency didn't work?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

KDdidit posted:

I thought free agency didn't work?

He is probably on the 360

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Glumslinger posted:

He is probably on the 360

PC

PremiumBlend
Jun 12, 2002

We did it little buddy...
Is there no Free Agency in the XB1/PS4 versions of the game? Do you just end up staying on the same team forever or until you request a trade or something? This kind of seems like it should be an important part of the MyPlayer game… more important than a cutscene where the 3rd string center on the Pelicans tells me I need to be his sidekick.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I rented this game for the ps3 and i enjoy it a lot. Whats the difference between season and the association modes? I want to start the season off with draft picks and and I want to trade a few players around but when I started both modes they just sent me straight to the first game of the season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mr Cynicism posted:

I rented this game for the ps3 and i enjoy it a lot. Whats the difference between season and the association modes? I want to start the season off with draft picks and and I want to trade a few players around but when I started both modes they just sent me straight to the first game of the season.

Association starts you at the beginning of this season (so draft picks are made for this season, but you have 1sts and 2nds from here on). You don't need to play a game, you can sim if you want. I think you probably hit start too quickly.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mr Cynicism posted:

Season is only one season long, association mode spans many seasons (I think 30, but it could be more)

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KDdidit posted:

Angrily demanded a trade from the 76ers. Got the wingman thing and since I'm a PG I figured I could use the practice. Anyway the guy I'm supposed to feed is Danny Granger (started right after he was traded). He ended up scoring about 12, passed up tons of shots, and shot about 40%. In the process I turned it over 13 times (which is on me, sure). Next game they move me to SG and start MCW at point. Forget that. Bad enough they have tons of people standing around the 3 pt line who never shoot from there when I get double teamed, looking at you Thad, cut or something dude if you're not going to shoot.

Anyway Houston was the most interested in me and have a SG so I'd definitely play point. Miami and NY were both interested too, so those were the three I picked. Of course I get the message they couldn't find an acceptable trade, great.

Got traded! To the Bulls. With Rose they wanted me to play SG so I demanded another trade. Got traded! To the Cavs. With Irving they wanted me to play SG. Obviously didn't request either of those teams. Don't think there's time to get traded by the ASG.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got Traded right before the deadline! To the Grizzlies! They want me to play SG and Conley to play PG. Gods drat it, I'm rated 92 at PG and all I want to do is play that position. Does seem like 3/4 of the teams have better points than shooting guards though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KDdidit posted:

Got Traded right before the deadline! To the Grizzlies! They want me to play SG and Conley to play PG. Gods drat it, I'm rated 92 at PG and all I want to do is play that position. Does seem like 3/4 of the teams have better points than shooting guards though.

How tall are you? If you made your guy 6'3+, you'll get SG minutes regardless, and especially if they already have a good PG.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I love using Dirk in this game/series. His turnaround fade away is basically automatic unless he is really fatigued.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

While I do enjoy this game its one of the hardest sports games I've played. The opposite team seems to score at will. More so in my career mode. If you make any mistake on the D the other team will score 90% of the time. Its really frustrating becuae my cpu teamtes could be 6 inch free from the basket and still manage to miss it. They never get rebounds and some will straight up refuse to pass it to me. They rather let the shot clock go to 0 and miss a point blank shot. Any tips on how to read a offense?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Mr Cynicism posted:

While I do enjoy this game its one of the hardest sports games I've played. The opposite team seems to score at will. More so in my career mode. If you make any mistake on the D the other team will score 90% of the time. Its really frustrating becuae my cpu teamtes could be 6 inch free from the basket and still manage to miss it. They never get rebounds and some will straight up refuse to pass it to me. They rather let the shot clock go to 0 and miss a point blank shot. Any tips on how to read a offense?

The game is an eerily accurate representation of what it's like to play on a lovely team

All I do in that game on offense when I'm not shooting is try to attract an additional guy to me and then dump the ball off to someone else.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr Cynicism posted:

Any tips on how to read a offense?

Depends on the position you're playing. I almost always drift to the weak side (the side with only my PF or C) with my PG. Keeping your eyes off your player and seeing how the other players are moving towards you is a must, as is watching how your own team is moving around. If someone is running really hard they're probably going around a screen and you should wait until they're open to pass to them. The CPU will knock down any shot as long as you pass it to them well enough.

I dunno, there's a ton of poo poo you have to do on every possession if you want to play realistically. If not just run to the baseline, hit Y, then back someone down for a quick spin move to the basket. Works every time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The CPU will also learn if you keep going to the same play or same patterns, its really important to mix it up. If you're always driving they will start to hedge hard, and if you are kicking it out to the 3pt line, they will start gambling on the lane or just generally sticking close to shooters.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

It's pretty crazy that they never fixed it so alley-oops worked with the old left stick controls on the 360 version. The season is almost over. This is something I would expect from EA but not 2k.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I like how the 4 page manual that shows controller buttons says you can download the full complete manual at nba2k website and it's just a fuckin PDF of the same 4 page manual they packed in the game.

I have no idea how to do any of these modes. Not even Prima makes guides for this poo poo. It has 5000 stats and options and no one bothers to make up a manual? I didn't even know the tutorial thing was even in the game until I found it after making the worlds ugliest shoes in some Nike2kSi4u app.

Oh well. I'm loving this game SO much even if I don't know what the hell I'm doing! Check out my pink shoes with no laces because I have no idea how to even put those on.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 26, 2014

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Philthy posted:

I like how the 4 page manual that shows controller buttons says you can download the full complete manual at nba2k website and it's just a fuckin PDF of the same 4 page manual they packed in the game.

I have no idea how to do any of these modes. Not even Prima makes guides for this poo poo. It has 5000 stats and options and no one bothers to make up a manual? I didn't even know the tutorial thing was even in the game until I found it after making the worlds ugliest shoes in some Nike2kSi4u app.

Oh well. I'm loving this game SO much even if I don't know what the hell I'm doing! Check out my pink shoes with no laces because I have no idea how to even put those on.

If you have any questions we can probably help. I think they assume if your playing this game now you've played the other games in the series which are basically the same.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
How does the pc version play? Has it been patched?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Waroduce posted:

HAHAHHA 2K releasing a PC version patch.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Pretty sure the only versions that got patches were Xbone and PS4.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Waroduce posted:

L o loving L

Let's put it this way. The PC version is completely playable. It's sold on Steam, the greatest platform on the internet to play multiplayer games, and yet you cannot pick the opponent you play against in multiplayer. You can only enter random find matches that lose connection after 5 seconds.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
is it :filez: to ask about trainers here? The last 2k game I played was 10 and it was always such a drag until you could boost your physical attributes to be competitive

Emery
Feb 8, 2012

Waroduce posted:

is it :filez: to ask about trainers here? The last 2k game I played was 10 and it was always such a drag until you could boost your physical attributes to be competitive

Just google 'Cheat Engine NBA 2k14' and you'll be on your way.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
What's the optimal way to run your career as a player? 12 minute quarters and playing every key game only or playing every game?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Henron posted:

What's the optimal way to run your career as a player? 12 minute quarters and playing every key game only or playing every game?

12 min quarter games for god drat ever. The only way I could get through more than a season was 6 minute and set the sim length to he same.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

im in my 4th season and I was playing 6 min q and 12 sim length before I even realized what that meant. im going to start over. my player will never break a record becuase all the cpu players are playing for 12.

I was playing key games and I havent broken 350k fans. you also dont get to do the social media challenges by skipping games.

another good reason to play 12 min is becuase its pretty hard to get the other team into foul trouble in 6 min.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Henron posted:

I believe it was said a few pages back that 8 minutes will have stats similar to 12 minutes.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I play 12 minutes. It takes awhile to play but I'm a nerd and need everything to be close to real life, if I can do it

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
I forgot why I stopped playing this like 4 months ago. Oh that's right I'm a 6'3" PG breaking the all time PER record who is now a starting power forward. Back to not playing this.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I just got this for free from PSN. I quickly figured out I have no idea what I'm doing. I've never played a basketball game besides NBA Jam and I really don't know much about the sport either. Is there a mode that familiarizes you with the controls? Also what position is the most fun in the my player mode? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Okay so I'm on the Nets for my career and rated 96.

The starting five are me, Joe Johnson, Brook Lopez, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett.

I know i'm the point guard and all but Deron Williams is the best player on the team and he only gets 20 minutes a game while I get 48!

Is there any way to get it where I can switch out, say, Paul Pierce or Joe Johnson for Deron? He's a better player all around stat wise.

On another note: pairing floor general for with kevin garnett's +6 to defense really upgrades your team.

I run catch and shoot, floor general, the 25% contact thing, deadeye, and the one that gives the guy an 8% increase on his shot if it results in an assist.

If I'm playing a team with known stars like the heat then I'll use lockdown defender over floor general.

Is this considered a good loadout?

• Locked thread