Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ForbiddenWonder posted:

I just got this for free from PSN. I quickly figured out I have no idea what I'm doing. I've never played a basketball game besides NBA Jam and I really don't know much about the sport either. Is there a mode that familiarizes you with the controls? Also what position is the most fun in the my player mode? Thanks.

You can do the training camp mode which will sort of explain buttons at least, although if you're like me you'll remember one or two things and forget everything else. Over time you'll pick it up though and it's there if you want to go back and look at it.

For someone new to the game I'd say go with a point guard for your my player because you'll have a better chance at controlling the play. It'll probably be more fun at first than running around setting screens and not getting passed to. Learn how to run the pick and roll and abuse it until you get bored of it, then make a new guy doing something else that seems fun once you have a better feel for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BrandNew posted:

I forgot why I stopped playing this like 4 months ago. Oh that's right I'm a 6'3" PG breaking the all time PER record who is now a starting power forward. Back to not playing this.

That was always the best. I was put in at center one time and Dwight stunted all over me. Then there was one time where the game was bugged and Seraphin kept picking up my PG to guard and I was getting massive negative scores to my teammate grade for 'leaving my assignment' on the other team's center.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I just want to say NBA 2k15 really should have a copy of The Show's Dynasty Diamond. Call it Hoops Diamond even though it makes no sense. But it's a really cool game mode that would fit NBA really well. Give your Dynasty guys minute limits instead of game limits to make your rotation really important.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I've demanded a trade during my second season three times to no avail. I was All-NBA first team last season, and average over 40 a game. What the hell Dallas GM you suck.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Okay so my nets team traded Deron Williams and Joe Johnson for Dwayne Wade. I'm a 96 rated PG so Deron was just a 6th man and now Joe Johnson got replaced by D Wade. We got Jason Terry at some point and he's been a legit 6 man. 31-7 with no quit outs on hall of fame mode. 8-)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

joshtothemaxx posted:

I've demanded a trade during my second season three times to no avail. I was All-NBA first team last season, and average over 40 a game. What the hell Dallas GM you suck.

Why would anyone trade a player like that in real life. You're probably carrying the team.

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp
Just snapped some guys streak of 20 wins in a row. He chose the Cavs, I chose the Thunder. Probably one of the best players I've played in 2k14...lots of extra passes and insane penetration with Kyrie Irving. I was down by one with the ball and 26 seconds left...scored off a slashing move by KD who went 26/6. He pulled out a sick iso move with Irving and had a wide open shot that surely should've went in but it didn't. I can't believe I spent two months playing MyTeam instead of regular head2head, way more fun not getting dunked on by Jordan and LeBron every possession.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Long shot if anyone still plays the PC version. The game straight up exits out to the desktop whenever I complete a certain game in mycareer. Basically whenever I finish a game or go Next Game past the Nuggets, it quits the game entirely without a message.

Now, I've gone farther in mycareer before so I have no idea what suddenly caused this. Any ideas?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Holyshoot posted:

Why would anyone trade a player like that in real life. You're probably carrying the team.

Because I'm being a whiny bitch and because the team is 5-21 with me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Because I'm being a whiny bitch and because the team is 5-21 with me.

Sounds like you need to play better this is a superstars league a real superstar could drag a team of scrubs to the playoffs

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Dexo posted:

Sounds like you need to play better this is a superstars league a real superstar could drag a team of scrubs to the playoffs

Jordan did it in his starting years.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Nah I'd rather sim 2/3 of the games and drop 75 a game and lose. More fulfilling.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I got the game while it's free on PS+, and it seems that I can't create a MyCareer save. It says it's unable to create the save on the 2K Sports Server. I probably don't really need to earn VC, as it appears that the companion app for iPhones won't work and most locker codes at this point are going to be for next gen systems anyway. Is there any benefit for having VC as compared to having standard skill points?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Armitage posted:

I got the game while it's free on PS+, and it seems that I can't create a MyCareer save. It says it's unable to create the save on the 2K Sports Server. I probably don't really need to earn VC, as it appears that the companion app for iPhones won't work and most locker codes at this point are going to be for next gen systems anyway. Is there any benefit for having VC as compared to having standard skill points?

It transfers across your multiple MyPlayer saves and you earn it while playing in games in Association, MyTeam, or Quick Games.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I was thinking about getting 2k14 since it's on sale on Steam right now but I haven't played a basketball game since 2k2 on Dreamcast. Is there anything I might want to know out of the gate so I don't immediately regret this purchase? I assume I'll be terrible at everything for a while but I'm hoping it's not as cumbersome to pick up as some of the Madden games I've played (briefly) lately.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
if you play mycareer, cheat to give yourself max stats and be a pg that jams on people and hits stepback 3s all day

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
The PC version of 2k14 rules. I was an idiot and bought both the PC and PS4 versions, which I really regret since the PS4 version is godawful.

And I think it's way more fun not to cheat with MyPlayer, as it's a sort of game where you can get a real sense of progress/accomplishment with your player gradually getting better. That said, if you don't have a ton of time to put into the game or patience, go for the cheat method.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Buy the game and get a bunch of mods to make the game beautiful.

:allears:

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
I have never played a game with worse rubberband AI. It makes mario kart loving blush.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Oberst posted:

I have never played a game with worse rubberband AI. It makes mario kart loving blush.

It's the main reason I don't play at higher difficulty levels. Nothing about the game changes between Pro and Hall of Fame. The AI isn't smarter or anything like that. It's just that the higher you go up in difficulty, the more likely your wide open perfectly shot ball will just clank for no drat reason while their super contested 3 guys draped all of them turn around fades will swish every single time if you pull ahead in the game by more than 4 points.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Like real basketball, NBA2k14 has teams go on runs. Sometimes when you start pulling away the other team may go on a 8-0 run. The developers talked about how the fact that you see that happen in their game is a positive. It's pretty realistic to how real basketball is. I've blown out plenty of teams on HoF difficulty.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Lockback posted:

Like real basketball, NBA2k14 has teams go on runs. Sometimes when you start pulling away the other team may go on a 8-0 run. The developers talked about how the fact that you see that happen in their game is a positive. It's pretty realistic to how real basketball is. I've blown out plenty of teams on HoF difficulty.

But when you can tell exactly when the difficulty switch is going to be flipped by the cpu over multiple games then it's Not Fun or Realistic. Up by double digits at half? Here comes the difficulty spike. Yes sure things will regress to the mean in shooting % or whatnot alot, but sometimes teams do get blown out wire to wire. Just because you're up 12 at half the other team shouldn't magically all become lebron in the 3rd. Hell I find it easier to trail in certain hard games because the difficultly won't ramp up for no reason.

I love this game and it's pretty realistic most of the time, but when it wants to cheat, it really really cheats

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Oberst posted:

But when you can tell exactly when the difficulty switch is going to be flipped by the cpu over multiple games then it's Not Fun or Realistic. Up by double digits at half? Here comes the difficulty spike. Yes sure things will regress to the mean in shooting % or whatnot alot, but sometimes teams do get blown out wire to wire. Just because you're up 12 at half the other team shouldn't magically all become lebron in the 3rd. Hell I find it easier to trail in certain hard games because the difficultly won't ramp up for no reason.

I love this game and it's pretty realistic most of the time, but when it wants to cheat, it really really cheats

Isn't that what most sports games do? Remember blitz on the n64? Up 60? fumble,fumble, interception ....

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Rubber banding as it's called has been a part of just about any video game for a long time. You would be surprised how difficult it is to maintain rubber banding that works effectively. Games with none end up not being fun because you win by a considerable amount every single time, and other games become annoying because the CPU will flick a switch just for the sake of doing so and directly punishes dominance (Looking at you Mario-Kart).

It's just something that needs to be dealt with, because a game with none at all becomes boring very quick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think a lot of players start blaming rubber banding when they don't go 82-0 in a season too though.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Lockback posted:

I think a lot of players start blaming rubber banding when they don't go 82-0 in a season too though.

The bulls almost did it why can't we! :colbert:

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I don't mind runs, or "momentum shifts" or any of that in games, but I don't like when things just become inexplicably harder. Like in Madden where the biggest difference in All-pro and All-madden is that your guys fumble whenever they're touched and opposing players take 3 guys to tackle them. Fortunately the 2k series is typically pretty reasonable with those situations, where you're not going to turn the ball over every time you try to do a spin move, but you will if you do a crossover towards the guy guarding you, reasonable changes.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Could they not solve this by making the really good teams in sports games just really freaking good or having good players go cold or mediocre players get hot for a game? I'm thinking of a 2012 Jeremy Lin scenario. Like I said, I haven't been playing a lot of sports games lately.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

tadashi posted:

Could they not solve this by making the really good teams in sports games just really freaking good or having good players go cold or mediocre players get hot for a game? I'm thinking of a 2012 Jeremy Lin scenario. Like I said, I haven't been playing a lot of sports games lately.

The issue is that it's frustrating when the player gets a perfect shot off, even one that the game lists as a perfect shot in the shot feedback, and the ball clanks for no reason. It's artificially making the game harder by punishing the player with a random number generator instead of making the player work harder to get points.

Like a good solution is to make the AI stupid on lower levels. Don't have them close out on a 3pt attempt, make them jam the steal button over and over so the player on Pro settings can blow right past them, etc. On the higher levels you should have the AI doing more defensive rotations and clogging logical passing lanes, stuff that really good teams in the NBA would do.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

As someone new to basketball games what can you recommend for improvement?

I made a pg, got picked by the bucks, upgraded a few things but still 65 ovr. I'm afraid to waste vc especially given how slowly I seem to earn it.

I'm pretty good at setting picks and screens but on the bucks I definitely shoot more than I pass.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

sellouts posted:

I'm afraid to waste vc especially given how slowly I seem to earn it.

If you're not averse to slightly cheap tactics, quickplay a game of 12 minute quarters, save your game within minutes of the end, collect VC for that game and then maybe do the same with a game of 11 minute quarters. Maybe even 10 and 9 depending on how quickly you want to accumulate VC. You can earn VC for each different length game about once every 30 minutes I think, just by loading the saved game near the end and quickly finishing the match again.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Those type of tactics are perfect, thanks.

I was looking more for beginner playing tips but I seem to get beat a lot on simple 1 on 1 drives to the hoop which is likely a product of my 65 ovr I guess.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Really the trick is to just make all your players athletic since raising quickness and speed is the most expensive way to progress your player. Then just level up layup and shoot in traffic and you can put up 30 a game easy.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Doltos posted:

The issue is that it's frustrating when the player gets a perfect shot off, even one that the game lists as a perfect shot in the shot feedback, and the ball clanks for no reason. It's artificially making the game harder by punishing the player with a random number generator instead of making the player work harder to get points.

Like a good solution is to make the AI stupid on lower levels. Don't have them close out on a 3pt attempt, make them jam the steal button over and over so the player on Pro settings can blow right past them, etc. On the higher levels you should have the AI doing more defensive rotations and clogging logical passing lanes, stuff that really good teams in the NBA would do.

Just like in real basketball a shot can feel perfect and still miss. Just saying.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

thompson posted:

Just like in real basketball a shot can feel perfect and still miss. Just saying.

Yeah, that factor just feels like realistic basketball to me. If the game rewarded perfectly timed shots with a fg every time it would feel like an arcade game. That said I haven't played against high difficulty 2k teams since like 2k12 so there's that. The higher difficulty/sliders can definitely compound the frustration.

I do need to try out my PS4 version again soon and see if they ever fixed the issue with the sound dropping after a few minutes into a game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If you play at the higher difficulty levels it is an arcade game.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I skimmed through the thread today. I agree with all of the complaints in here. My favorite, besides all the terrible grinding you have to do with a team you don't want to be on...

You can't change your jersey number after creation.

Also, on my 3rd MyPlayer attempt, trying to do this to see if it works and I get traded to my favorite team:

Somebody on the 2k Forums posted:

1. After the rookie showcase pick your favorite team. Make absolutely sure you want to go to this team because there is no way to change your mind or change teams as you will be traded to this team after this process. You don’t want to waste 40 games trying to get to a team to then realize you want to go elsewhere so there is only one option. You’re not asking for a trade so there is no picking options or picking 3 teams. So keep all of this in mind. You only pick 1 team prior to draft interviews. This is the key to the whole process.

2. You must answer all interview questions attempting to be a good teammate and in all cut scene scenarios choose the options that increase your teammate chemistry. Wear the clown nose, stand up for your teammates, get ejected, carry your teammate’s luggage, etc.

3. Keep a good relationship with your GM, you don’t want to be traded prematurely. Saying “things are great”

4. About 25 games in your agent will take to you about being able to ask for a trade soon. A few games after you will get an option to ask for a trade when the GM checks in on you. This is very important. During any point in this process, DO NOT ASK FOR A TRADE. This will mess up the method and get you traded normally. The whole point of this is to manipulate the GM into trading you to your favorite team.
5. The timing of this is very important. AGAIN DO NOT ASK FOR A TRADE and DO NOT ASK YOURE TEAMMATE TO BE TRADED IN DECEMBER. Reason being is that the key to this process is the team that you picked will be the most interested team in you. Your favorite team will not show interest in you until January when you become a starter. The option will first come up in December but don’t choose it. Wait until after you become a starter.
6. Once you become a starter your star teammate will ask you to be his sidekick. By this time your team chemistry should be in the 90%. In the process, I told my teammate I’m not going to be his sidekick. Now your teammate chemistry should drop to 84%

7. After the sidekick conversation the very next GM conversation, tell your GM you “do not get along with a particular player”, Pick the STAR teammate. (This is the highest rated teammate and the one who asserts himself as the STAR of the team during cut scenes, i.e. the one who you watch film with, asks you to be his sidekick, etc.) Ask for the STAR teammate to be traded. When the GM asks if this is seriously an issue and whether you can resolve this pick "no, trade him" The GM will say he will see what he can do.

8. By this time two things will happen. Your teammate chemistry will go down to 76-79%. Secondly your GM relationship will go down to 1%. This is what you want. Your GM will be fed up with you and will look to trade you.

9. Once you go back to the main my career menu you should see yourself in the rumor mill. Once you play a game or two your agent will come to you in the arena tunnel and tell you what’s going on and that you may be traded and show you a list of interested teams. Your favorite team will start showing interest.

10. The whole process takes about 5 games. Just keep playing normally and you'll get another GM conversation soon. Don’t ask for a trade, just tell your GM you’re doing great. (Doing this time you can check the list of interested teams periodically in the 2K menu under My Career and you will start to see your favorite team moving up on the interest board.)

11. When you continue to the next game the GM will meet with you and tell you it wasn’t working out and that you’ve been traded. You will be traded to the team you choose at the beginning of the pre-draft process if you’ve followed these steps correctly.

Important Notes-
You may have to regain your starting spot or you might already be the starter. This seems to be pretty random in occurrence. And your jersey number might change depending if a player has the same number as you or the number is retired.

Also, don’t worry about your rating. You will not be traded for a star teammate no matter if you’re a high rated player. The GM will trade you for a low rated player of your position and draft picks. In my case I was traded to my favorite team the Knicks for Beno Udrih 69 rated PG and picks form the 76ers and I was an 81 rated PG.
And my friend did the same process and was traded for Ben Mclemore and picks from the 76ers to the Kings and in his other my career he was traded for Danny Green and picks from the Cavs to the Spurs. Both were an 82 rated SG each time.

You should be traded by late January early February depending on what you told your athletic trainer and how many games you missed.

That’s the whole process. Use this to get traded to the team of your choosing.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I just got the game, my guy is on the Knicks. I'm managing to out JR Smith, JR Smith himself. Gimme my shots.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hockles posted:

Also, on my 3rd MyPlayer attempt, trying to do this to see if it works and I get traded to my favorite team:

Confirming that this works, in case you want to get to a specific team. Just pick the team at the draft you want to end up at. It takes half a season, but if you have your heart set on a team, it is worth it.

Hockles fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Does anyone know if the AI will move your starting position around because of certain stats you have, or is it more random and just based on how stacked they are in certain positions?

I'm playing on PS3 so it's essentially the same game as last year, but I got it for free and I'm enjoying it. I just don't remember MyCareer being as weird.

I have a 6'0 defensive PG that got drafted to the Hawks. We're 9-22 and I like to play a season when a club I don't know too well drafts me (to get to know the roster for online etc) but the coach is an idiot. I start at SF with Teague and Williams rotating between PG/SG. I get a few minutes at PG every second game on average.

I'd say it's not bad for key games as you get a fair few playing SF, but obviously being 6'0 and playing against LeBron/Durant/almost anyone means you'll have a poo poo ranking to finish it off.

Should I just get off the team or will it correct itself if I pump my stats enough?

tl;dr - Is my 6'0 PG playing at SF because I'm worse than the other guards, because my stats match up the best for that position out of the guards or because the game is dumb?

• Locked thread