Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Shovelmint posted:

4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Satyr Hoplite
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Foundry Street Denizen

4 Hammerhand
4 Titan Strength
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Coordinated Assault

4 Searing Blood
4 Lightning Strike
1 Magma Jet

15 Mountain

It maybe needs a little tweaking, but it's fast as gently caress. Swiftspear makes it work.

Sideboard ideas:
Magma Sprays? Magma Jets? Arena Athletes? Stoke the Flames? Some land?

I like this deck and will probably play around with the concept. Have you tried Inferno Fist? I'm wondering if that will be any good since it can function as a makeshift Seal of Fire when you don't want the +2 power anymore, plus I can yell "ROCKET PUNCH" when I sac it.

I mean I have my Rabblemasters ready for whatever Rabble Red will look like, but this deck looks like it'll be a good bit of fun. I'm always looking for the next generation of Sligh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Okay I'm lazy as gently caress so here's a screenshot of a decklist I want to try out:

I would really like to test this deck out with some people on Cockatrice if able, it's just a rough draft of Junk Midrange, that's it. I need to see if Despise is maindeckable and if it isn't I'll switch it's place with the Cuts in my SB.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

stinkles1112 posted:

This is beautiful. I've been looking for a deck to get back into constructed and this list sans sideboard is less than $13 on TCGPlayer.

I'm thinking Forge Devil is pretty solid in the side, as is Flamespeaker's Will and Arena Athlete. Probably something like,
4 Forge Devil
4 Arena Athlete
2 Flamespeaker's Will
2 Magma Spray
3 Eidolon of the Great Revel

Seems ok?

War-Name Aspirant might be another option, since it gets by Sylvan Caryatid without so much as having to get into combat with it. Scouring Sands seems like it'd be awesome in the mirror match.

Is Ordeal of Purphoros worth considering? Probably too clunky.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Cactrot posted:

Definitely cut 2 main deck cards (probably Deathbellow Raider) to move Reckoner over.

awesome, I'll cut a few deathbellows and maybe a scarhide and a petrifier to get a few more land and the two boros reckoner's in there.

Any thoughts on if I should try to put a mogis or two in or anything else from my sideboard?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I think this is going to officially be the deck I put together to test leading up to the first Game Day of this new Standard:

4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Akroan Hoplite
4 War-Name Aspirant
4 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Goblin Rabblemaster

1 Iroas, God of Victory
3 Gods Willing
4 Ride Down
2 Trumpet Blast
2 Spear of Heliod
1 Ajani Steadfast

4 Battlefield Forge
3 Mana Confluence
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mountain
9 Plains

SB:
3 Erase
3 Suspension Field
3 Banishing Light
3 Devouring Light
3 Stoke the Flames

Gods Willing was the last spell in the main deck, I'm thinking a dedicated protection spell has to be the best last thing to throw in a deck with 24 creatures. Previously I had Coordinated Assault in that slot but I dropped it after abandoning a Heroic sub-theme.

SB is kind of a placeholder, but I know that for sure I need Stoke the Flames because it's the only thing in white or red that deals with Stormbreath Dragon.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Boco_T posted:

I think this is going to officially be the deck I put together to test leading up to the first Game Day of this new Standard:

Those Ride Downs are going to be absolutely dead vs the slew of Rabble Red and boros aggro decks, I'd be very wary about MDing them at the beginning of the season when you're likely to be playing hard aggro every other match at best

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

neetengie posted:

I had something similar minus the Sorin and had Polukranos's instead, why are you not running any Hero's Downfall?

I'm trying to avoid getting too greedy (e.g. double black spells) unless I have to. Do you think the mana is good enough to really go for that? Because if so, I probably would maindeck 2 Hero's Downfall and only one Cut.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 23, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Shovelmint posted:

4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Satyr Hoplite
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Foundry Street Denizen

4 Hammerhand
4 Titan Strength
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Coordinated Assault

4 Searing Blood
4 Lightning Strike
1 Magma Jet

15 Mountain

It maybe needs a little tweaking, but it's fast as gently caress. Swiftspear makes it work.

Sideboard ideas:
Magma Sprays? Magma Jets? Arena Athletes? Stoke the Flames? Some land?

I really love burn decks because for some reason they just piss people off. There's no complicated tempo or control or anything interesting. You just smash their face in as fast as possible before they can even grasp what's happening.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I think that deck is actually pretty hard to play well. You basically have a huge range of options available from turn one, and while they all do similar things, different choices are optimal in different situations, and you have to plan based on your topdecks and their potential plays to get the kill as efficiently as possible. A lot of times it wont matter what you do because you can just turn guys sideways, but when things don't go ideally, your decisions and sequencing can really make the difference between a win and a loss.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tracula posted:

I really love burn decks because for some reason they just piss people off. There's no complicated tempo or control or anything interesting. You just smash their face in as fast as possible before they can even grasp what's happening.

This deck is the opposite of that. It's a delicate balance of what plays to make to combine damage-dealing ability with resilience, unlike Legacy Burn which in certain matchups can be "Cast 7 Lightning Bolt variants".

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yeah, that deck is basically a math game. How fast you can deal the optimal amount of damage per turn and also take into account any blockers or other potential cushions that may prevent that from happening. It's going to come down to how efficiently you utilize those Heroic and Prowess triggers in conjunction with all your other spells.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

16 Forest
7 Island
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Temple of Mystery

4 Elvish Mystic
3 Kiora's Follower
1 Courser of Kruphix
3 Karametra's Acolyte
1 Phantom Warrior
2 Horizon Chimera
1 Prophet of Kruphix
1 Nessian Game Warden
2 Nemesis of Mortals
1 Arbor Colossus
1 Genesis Hydra
1 Hydra Broodmaster
1 Terra Stomper

1 Aspect of Hydra
2 Titanic Growth
2 Negate
2 Divination
3 Jace's Ingenuity
1 Aetherspouts
1 Fated Intervention

Yeah, I know it's basically the Clash Pack combined with some extra 2015 cards, but that's about all I have :shrug: I'm not in the position to order cards, either, so I pretty much have to work with my (admittedly, fairly sizable) 2015 collection and various Theros block cards. If anyone can recommend some ways of enhancing this (also choosing a 60th card) using only 2015/Theros cards, I'd really appreciate it. I'm pretty poo poo at deckbuilding anyway :v:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I think Phantom Warrior just rotated out, is that supposed to be a different card?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Boco_T posted:

I think Phantom Warrior just rotated out, is that supposed to be a different card?

Oh right, Khans of Tarkir just hosed up 2014/Ravnica cards, didn't it? I guess I'll have to replace it even though it's my favorite card in the game :(

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Alabaster White posted:

Oh right, Khans of Tarkir just hosed up 2014/Ravnica cards, didn't it? I guess I'll have to replace it even though it's my favorite card in the game :(
Mystic of the Hidden Way is the Khans card for you, friend.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

This deck is the opposite of that. It's a delicate balance of what plays to make to combine damage-dealing ability with resilience, unlike Legacy Burn which in certain matchups can be "Cast 7 Lightning Bolt variants".

You're right. Even usually I play red as just a cudgel of hit them with as much dumb damage as fast as possible. I guess, ironically, there is some finesse to a super hard burn deck.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

bhsman posted:

I went ahead and built a version of Rabble Red based off of a version Tom Ross brewed when discussing post-rotation options (but before Monastery Swiftspear had been spoiled), as well as a Siege Rhino Midrange that I'll probably build to act as my 'main' deck if I decide not to run with Jund.

I'm curious to see what you end up doing with Jund. I have a lot of the Jund players and kind of want to build a deck for it, but I haven't taken a hard look at the options post rotating yet.

Also, your Rabble Red deck is set to private. :)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Abzan Control. Game plan is similar to mono black from last standard - aggressively one-for-one then just stick a threat.

4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
3 Siege Rhino

4 Thoughtseize
4 Hero's Downfall
3 Utter End
2 Silence the Believers
2 End Hostilities

4 Liliana Vess
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Ajani Steadfast
1 Garruk, Apex Predator

4 Windswept Heath
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Malady
4 Temple of Plenty
3 mana confluence
2 Swamp
2 Forest
2 Plains

This deck seem like it'd be fun to play, but I feel like it just gets rolled so hard by aggro.

The mana base is also a complete mess. I recognize I have too few untapped sources of black mana for those thought seizes. I have no idea how to deal with fetches, really.

I dunno, is there potential here?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

OssiansFolly posted:

I'm curious to see what you end up doing with Jund. I have a lot of the Jund players and kind of want to build a deck for it, but I haven't taken a hard look at the options post rotating yet.

I think the problem for Jund is that, aside from going all Jundwalkers, I feel like there isn't a strong mid-to-late game for the deck aside from maybe Reaper of the Wilds?

quote:

Also, your Rabble Red deck is set to private. :)

:doh: I always do that.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

bhsman posted:

I think the problem for Jund is that, aside from going all Jundwalkers, I feel like there isn't a strong mid-to-late game for the deck aside from maybe Reaper of the Wilds?

:doh: I always do that.

Thats the problem I am seeing right now. There are some good single color cards, but with Khans a good chunk of the power cards require a wedge that doesn't fit in the current wedge hole.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

OssiansFolly posted:

Thats the problem I am seeing right now. There are some good single color cards, but with Khans a good chunk of the power cards require a wedge that doesn't fit in the current wedge hole.

OTOH, I also forgot Stormbreath Dragon is a card that exists; the issue I see is that losing Abrupt Decay as a solid piece of removal; maybe the answer is to run Bile Blight? Deathdealer could be decent, too...

Jotunn
Aug 16, 2013
Hi, I've recently gotten back into magic after playing it in highschool, and in the meantime I inherited my brother's set of magic cards from when he played semi-pro level, and I've been putting together a deck for casual play with friends out of recent drafts, old drafts, and cards I collected when I was a little kid. It's very casual (one guy plays an only slightly overpowered deck made out of cards he made himself, another guy occasionally brings out an infinite squirrel deck as a joke) but I'd like to keep/move it towards a Standard deck, at the very least in power. Basically, if you have suggestions it would be preferable to keep them to the last few blocks - I probably wouldn't want to add anything from before Return to Ravnica or Innistrad, and try to get rid of the stuff in there from before that.

Anyway, the deck.

Basically, I looked through what I had and deciding that I liked the idea of Flinging a Spitebellows at my enemy me and a friend came up with this deck, simply out of what I had in my Magic box at the time:

Fling

//Creature (18)
1x Changeling Berserker
1x Flamekin Brawler
1x Hissing Iguanar
1x Incurable Ogre
2x Keldon Marauders
1x Minotaur Skullcleaver
2x Mudbutton Torchrunner
4x Oxidda Golem
1x Rage Thrower
1x Scuttling Doom Engine
1x Spark Elemental
1x Spikeshot Goblin
1x Spitebellows

//Instant (12)
1x Blood Lust
1x Fall of the Hammer
1x Fling
4x Lightning Bolt
1x Magma Jet
1x Seismic Strike
3x Soul's Fire

//Sorcery (2)
1x Bolt of Keranos
1x Traitorous Blood

//Enchantment (4)
2x Genju of the Spires
2x Hammerhand

//Artifact (1)
1x Sylvok Lifestaff

//Planeswalker (1)
1x Chandra, Pyromaster

//Land (24)
24x Mountain

Apart from the obvious getting more Spitebellows, Flings, and Fall of the Hammers, what do you think should I add/remove? It's also 64 cards so I would probably want to cut two as well. In terms of budget, I wouldn't want to be spending more than $3-5 per card.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

EDIT: I've also been looking at murdergoats and feeling very, very tempted.

Jotunn fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 23, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Boxman posted:

Abzan Control. Game plan is similar to mono black from last standard - aggressively one-for-one then just stick a threat.

4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
3 Siege Rhino

4 Thoughtseize
4 Hero's Downfall
3 Utter End
2 Silence the Believers
2 End Hostilities

4 Liliana Vess
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Ajani Steadfast
1 Garruk, Apex Predator

4 Windswept Heath
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Malady
4 Temple of Plenty
3 mana confluence
2 Swamp
2 Forest
2 Plains

This deck seem like it'd be fun to play, but I feel like it just gets rolled so hard by aggro.

The mana base is also a complete mess. I recognize I have too few untapped sources of black mana for those thought seizes. I have no idea how to deal with fetches, really.

I dunno, is there potential here?

It just seems like a removal heavy package of the normal Abzan Midrange deck. If you're really looking to play it as a control deck with Garruk and/or Elspeth as win-cons, run Sorin instead of Ajani to make it stays unprofitable to attack you while you continue to build up resources. If your opponent can't answer Sorin in two turns you'll ult him and that's a total gamebreaker against a lot of decks. You don't really have any way to deal with opposing fliers either. Perhaps a High Sentinels is an idea there.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Mono-red Burn/Control is back! Here's the updated decklists, very strong and fast, I think this might be a sleeper if you want a deck for the coming weeks.

http://deckstats.net/deck-4936453-4a8c0ff7ba441457a1168ed0626dfd6a.html

quote:

//Creatures
4 Satyr Firedancer
4 Generator Servant
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Scuttling Doom Engine

//Burn
2 Shrapnel Blast
4 Stoke the Flames
2 Searing Blood
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike

//Dragon
4 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

//Lands
16 Mountain
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Battlefield Forge

//Sideboard
3 Fated Conflagration
4 Anger of the Gods
4 Erase
4 Stormbreath Dragon

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Ok, so here's what I've got so far;

Sligh-tly Obnoxious
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Satyr Hoplite
4 Foundry Street Denizen

4 Hammerhand
4 Coordinated Assault
4 Titan's Strength
4 Searing Blood
4 Lightning Strike
2 Dragon Mantle
2 Inferno Fist

16 Mountain

Sideboard
4 Magma Spray
4 Scouring Sands
2 Flamespeaker's Will
2 Arena Athlete
3 Stoke the Flames

I found 16 to be a reasonable number of lands, I was getting stuck on one a little too frequently for my liking at 15, plus with Dragon Mantle and Firedrinker you have some good mana dumps if you get the fourth land. On the subject of Dragon Mantle, however, I found that 4 wasn't doing super great for me. It draws a card, which is nice, but half the time it's basically Cycling R and a heroic trigger, and I wouldn't actually activate the firebreathing a single time. Inferno Fist gives you the same heroic trigger but adds 4 damage to the board (notwithstanding heroic/Swiftspear) for 3 mana, while Dragon Mantle takes 5 mana to add that same 4 damage, and the sac effect can give you that last little bit of reach you need, or deal with problem dudes on board.

For the side, since we're all basically going into the format blind the first week, I just figured that A) I want to deal with Bloodsoaked Champion, B) I want to deal with the mirror/tokens, C) I want to deal with Courser/Stormbreath/Brimaz and be able to trade my derpy 1/1's for bigger dudes with Stoke

My favorite part of this deck is that I'm ordering every last card in it to get back into type 2 and it's costing me $16.35.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I think Forge Devil may be a worthwhile sideboard option.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, for someone who is looking at a Jeskai control deck, what do you think the right mix of sweeper effects would be? (Obviously, this is very meta dependant, but what do we have?)
Anger of the Gods
End Hostilities
Whelming Wave
Aetherspouts
Fated Retribution

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I would argue that Valley Dasher deserves some discussion in Rabble Red/Slight decks.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

bhsman posted:

I would argue that Valley Dasher deserves some discussion in Rabble Red/Slight decks.

I thought about it, but I like Mogis's Warhound better. I'd much rather have a bestow 3 on my war-named aspiriant or goblin rabblemaster.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Frgrbrgr posted:

Mono-red Burn/Control is back! Here's the updated decklists, very strong and fast, I think this might be a sleeper if you want a deck for the coming weeks.

http://deckstats.net/deck-4936453-4a8c0ff7ba441457a1168ed0626dfd6a.html

This looks pretty spicy. I think that Satyr Firedancer is underplayed in Standard overall and would be pretty good at wiping up the nerds trying out aggro on day 0. Erase is a nice answer to the gods, the clan Ascendancies, Coursers, and other random enchantments and I think white deserves an inclusion in the deck, but do you think 4 Battlefield Forges will get you there? Are you interested in artifact destruction spells, such as Shatter? Why not go all the way up to 4 Stoke the Flames? That card is really bananas with Rabblemaster. Do we really want 4 Darksteel Citadels with no Ensoul? I understand the Shrapnel Blast interaction but if we want to splash white for real 4 might be pushing it. I think we want 4 Searing Blood as well in the 75, but 2 in the main seems right.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
To have a 90% chance of casting a single W spell by turn 7, you need 9 sources of a color. So 4 sources of W will not get you to Erase, unfortunately. Bringing it in out of the side, especially if you brought in all 4 copies, you'd probably have a least a 50% of being unable to cast it in any normal-length game.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

stinkles1112 posted:

A) I want to deal with Bloodsoaked Champion

The Champion can't block, so I'm not sure that's a priority for this deck. Aside from that, 16 seems like the right balance. I think you're slightly underrating Dragon Mantle, but maybe Inferno Fist plays better with that 16th land.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Boco_T posted:

To have a 90% chance of casting a single W spell by turn 7, you need 9 sources of a color. So 4 sources of W will not get you to Erase, unfortunately. Bringing it in out of the side, especially if you brought in all 4 copies, you'd probably have a least a 50% of being unable to cast it in any normal-length game.

Yeah, I still need to figure out the land situation, but certain enchantments shut the deck down hard, like Whip. What're the numbers if there's 4 Mana Confluence in for 4 Mountains? I tried the temples but coming in tapped just slows down the game so fast.

AgentSythe posted:

This looks pretty spicy. I think that Satyr Firedancer is underplayed in Standard overall and would be pretty good at wiping up the nerds trying out aggro on day 0. Erase is a nice answer to the gods, the clan Ascendancies, Coursers, and other random enchantments and I think white deserves an inclusion in the deck, but do you think 4 Battlefield Forges will get you there? Are you interested in artifact destruction spells, such as Shatter? Why not go all the way up to 4 Stoke the Flames? That card is really bananas with Rabblemaster. Do we really want 4 Darksteel Citadels with no Ensoul? I understand the Shrapnel Blast interaction but if we want to splash white for real 4 might be pushing it. I think we want 4 Searing Blood as well in the 75, but 2 in the main seems right.

Other questions in order:

- Artifact destruction, not so worried about, there's just not many great artifacts in Standard that aren't also enchantments. I guess it might be worthwhile having some Torch Fiends on the side as well?

- There are 4 Stoke the Flames.

- Darksteel citadel is worth the Upside of Shrapnel Blast, red mana sources are all over the place and in testing, I've rarely had problems with it.

What I really need to do is test this against a saucy Mono-Black devotion deck with Whips and Grey Merchants.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Frgrbrgr posted:

Yeah, I still need to figure out the land situation, but certain enchantments shut the deck down hard, like Whip. What're the numbers if there's 4 Mana Confluence in for 4 Mountains? I tried the temples but coming in tapped just slows down the game so fast.
I feel that, just trying to make mana work without taplands in this format is going to be horrible. 4 Confluence 4 Forge doesn't quite get you up to 90% based on this page but I think it probably gets you over like 75% to be able to cast it in an average game.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Boco_T posted:

I feel that, just trying to make mana work without taplands in this format is going to be horrible. 4 Confluence 4 Forge doesn't quite get you up to 90% based on this page but I think it probably gets you over like 75% to be able to cast it in an average game.

On the plus side, it gets turn 5 kills pretty often so that's good. I'm hoping the obvious weaknesses get erased by every other deck either being slow durdly three-colors or red aggro decks that get shut down easily by Searing Bloods and Angers.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

jassi007 posted:

I thought about it, but I like Mogis's Warhound better. I'd much rather have a bestow 3 on my war-named aspiriant or goblin rabblemaster.

I like the flexibility Warhound brings, but Dasher's haste is really nice...

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I have been playing around with the following Br build:

4 Temple of Malice
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Mountain
8 Swamp

4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Mardu Skullhunter
2 Gnarled Scarhide
4 Pain Seer
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Tormented Hero

2 Stoke the Flames
3 Magma Jet
4 Thoughtseize
4 Drown in Sorrow
4 Hero's Downfall

SB: 4 Grim Haruspex
SB: 4 Dark Betrayal
SB: 4 Chief of the Edge
SB: 4 Caves of Koilos

constantly recycling bloodsoaked is great and hes'got great synergy with tymaret, making it easy to keep him on the board to block/trade while flinging bloodsoaked champs at the face for reach.

*Might do awake with stoke the flames -hasn't really been necessary yet becayse Tym fulfills the same role and could be dangerous with pain seer.
*pain seer should maybe be grim haruspex; esp in mirror matches (had 3 last night on cockatrice); we're not doing any blocking so life might be needed.
*Drown in sorrows is great after you run your bloodsoaked into their guys, -2/-2 sticks around and wipes, then new bloodsoaked champs to recycle them all again next turn. Super awesome in the mirror match since they do not have Raid going and they probably have not held a bloodsoaked back in their hand.

*I saw a black/white warrior version with chief of the scale but I am not sure about it; I don't want to go 3 color as I don't want to fiddle around with the manabase, I want to apply pressure immediately.

Any ideas or suggestions or comments?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
As a matter of fact I did not realize that Valley Dasher was a card. I think it definitely warrants discussion, but my question would be, what comes out for him? Every other dude has more raw damage potential, but the haste is pretty sweet. To be honest I've been very underwhelmed by Foundry Street Denizen. If I don't get him alongside Akroan Crusader he's rarely better than a 2/1, in which case I think I'd rather have the Dasher just about every time since he has a chance of surviving combat. Will definitely test it out.

I may very well be undervaluing Dragon Mantle but I really, really like Inferno Fist. Maybe not in place of the Mantle but definitely along side.

Forge Devil is a card I've been going back and forth on, I'm not sure he's better than Scouring Sands for what you're trying to accomplish with him because while the 1 damage CITP effect is nice, his body is super low impact compared to every other creature in the deck. Scouring Sands is way more swingy and the Scry is a super nice addition because this deck desperately wants smooth draws. Forge Devil is almost always going to be a 2-for-1 in the matches you bring him in, but so's the Sands. I'm still not sure one way or the other on this one.

As far as dealing with Bloodsoaked Champion, I foresee a lot of Mono-Black aggro running around, and I just want a little insurance to help me win that race. The Champion in particular may not be the biggest threat that I need to deal with but I feel like I'd probably want to SB at least some amount of Magma Spray in any case, just because graveyard chicanery is A Thing again.

I don't think I'm sold on Mogis's Warhound. I really don't want to be casting things for 3 CMC in this, and he's definitely not good without Bestow.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

stinkles1112 posted:

I think it definitely warrants discussion, but my question would be, what comes out for him? Every other dude has more raw damage potential, but the haste is pretty sweet.

At first glance, I don't like the inclusion of Satyr Hoplite; at least Crusader can make dudes to use with Stoke the Flames, whereas Hoplite takes away spells to target Crusader with in the first place. If you aren't running Stoke, feel free to ignore this.

As for Dasher himself, I could ask Tom Ross his thoughts on the card next time I run into him. :v:

quote:

To be honest I've been very underwhelmed by Foundry Street Denizen. If I don't get him alongside Akroan Crusader he's rarely better than a 2/1, in which case I think I'd rather have the Dasher just about every time since he has a chance of surviving combat. Will definitely test it out.

Denizen becomes a lot better when you run him with Rabblemaster, as Rabblemaster's token creation buffs Denizen, who in turn buffs Rabblemaster in combat.

quote:

I may very well be undervaluing Dragon Mantle but I really, really like Inferno Fist. Maybe not in place of the Mantle but definitely along side.

If you find that it works better for you, go for it. That said, Dragon Mantle gives the deck something a Sligh-esque deck almost never has: cheap card draw. Being able to vent your excess mana into more damage is always nice, too.

quote:

I don't think I'm sold on Mogis's Warhound. I really don't want to be casting things for 3 CMC in this, and he's definitely not good without Bestow.

Yeah, I'd rather just run Blinding Flare to trigger Prowess for Swiftspears and Heroic for Crusader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Satyr Hoplite was a questionable one for me too, looking at the list on paper. He's really very good though, and adds some redundancy when you don't draw the Crusader. The main thing I like about him is that paired with any of the buff spells he smashes through Sylvan Caryatid, and he can get totally out of hand when you go, for instance;

T1: Monastery Swiftspear, smack for 1
T2: Hoplite, Hammerhand, neutralize blocker, get in for 5

After that there are so many turn 3 plays that either kill them or leave them at low single digits, like Coordinated Assault + Titan's Strength, that I have a hard time putting Hoplite on the chopping block.

Denizen is indeed bonkers with Rabblemaster, but a set of Rabblemasters quadruples the cost of this deck and I really don't want to drop that much money... Getting ahold of him will be my goal, and I'd like to shift to Rabble Red or Mardu tokens once I get a collection going again, but in the mean time I'd like to try to work without him.

I'm still torn on the Dragon Mantle. It is an excellent mana dump, but I just cannot decide what the right number of copies is...

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 24, 2014

• Locked thread