Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

stinkles1112 posted:

Satyr Hoplite was a questionable one for me too, looking at the list on paper. He's really very good though, and adds some redundancy when you don't draw the Crusader. The main thing I like about him is that paired with any of the buff spells he smashes through Sylvan Caryatid, and he can get totally out of hand when you go, for instance;

T1: Monastery Swiftspear, smack for 1
T2: Hoplite, Hammerhand, neutralize blocker, get in for 5

This is true, although A) This is also accomplished with Crusader, and B) Hoplite doesn't have Haste.

quote:

Denizen is indeed bonkers with Rabblemaster, but a set of Rabblemasters quadruples the cost of this deck and I really don't want to drop that much money... Getting ahold of him will indeed be my goal, and I'd like to shift to Rabble Red or Mardu tokens once I get a collection going again, but in the mean time I'd like to try to work without him.

And that's fair; I'm not about to tell you to spend $40 on a playset. That said, how would you feel about Firedrinker Satyr? He's only a dollar apiece ATM and, IMO, could replace Hoplite.

quote:

I'm still torn on the Dragon Mantle. It is an excellent mana dump, but I just cannot decide what the right number of copies is...

The cantrip alone makes it worth using as a 4-of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

bhsman posted:

This is true, although A) This is also accomplished with Crusader, and B) Hoplite doesn't have Haste.

Hammerhand grants Haste. :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cernunnos posted:

Hammerhand grants Haste. :v:

Oh dang, it does? My goldfishes with the deck just got 13.5% better! :eng101:

This is just like that time I didn't realize that Mistcutter Hydra had both Haste AND pro-blue.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

bhsman posted:

And that's fair; I'm not about to tell you to spend $40 on a playset. That said, how would you feel about Firedrinker Satyr? He's only a dollar apiece ATM and, IMO, could replace Hoplite.

Deck already plays Firedrinker.

I think inferno fist may be worth possibly splitting the slots with dragon mantle. It's got a lot of upside, and cycling isn't top concern as the goal tends to be to kill them as fast as possible, on the other hand in this deck, 2 mana is hugely more expensive than 1.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I already have 4 Firedrinker in there.

And yeah Crusader is definitely the optimal one drop, but I really like the redundancy of Hoplite. He adds one power to the board for every Heroic trigger just the same, and most of the time that extra damage coming from another creature is going to be better, but sometimes you want that bigger body. Hoplite can get out of range of Anger of the Gods, for example, whereas Crusader is always going to get blown out by it.

I think you're right about the Mantle though, after taking it down to 2 copies I almost immediately miss the cantripping. I might try splitting 2/2 with Lightning Strike and Fist for curve reasons and keep it at 4 Mantle.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Shovelmint posted:

Deck already plays Firedrinker.

stinkles1112 posted:

I already have 4 Firedrinker in there.

This is what I get for posting while tired and sick. :smith:

quote:

And yeah Crusader is definitely the optimal one drop, but I really like the redundancy of Hoplite. He adds one power to the board for every Heroic trigger just the same, and most of the time that extra damage coming from another creature is going to be better, but sometimes you want that bigger body. Hoplite can get out of range of Anger of the Gods, for example, whereas Crusader is always going to get blown out by it.

Or Drown in Sorrow, which IMO is the bigger threat since black is going to be so popular. You make some good points about Hoplite, though, and have convinced me to pick up a playset in case I decide to try him out.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
you are preemptively forgiven for any M:tG-related posting mistakes due to your awesome murdergoats avatar, don't worry about it

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

bhsman posted:

This is just like that time I didn't realize that Mistcutter Hydra had both Haste AND pro-blue.
I think of Mistcutter Hydra as the green fireball.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

stinkles1112 posted:

you are preemptively forgiven for any M:tG-related posting mistakes due to your awesome murdergoats avatar, don't worry about it

Thanks. :unsmith:

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I think of Mistcutter Hydra as the green fireball.

This is a really good idea, actually.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

Satyr Hoplite was a questionable one for me too, looking at the list on paper. He's really very good though, and adds some redundancy when you don't draw the Crusader. The main thing I like about him is that paired with any of the buff spells he smashes through Sylvan Caryatid, and he can get totally out of hand when you go, for instance;

T1: Monastery Swiftspear, smack for 1
T2: Hoplite, Hammerhand, neutralize blocker, get in for 5

After that there are so many turn 3 plays that either kill them or leave them at low single digits, like Coordinated Assault + Titan's Strength, that I have a hard time putting Hoplite on the chopping block.

Denizen is indeed bonkers with Rabblemaster, but a set of Rabblemasters quadruples the cost of this deck and I really don't want to drop that much money... Getting ahold of him will be my goal, and I'd like to shift to Rabble Red or Mardu tokens once I get a collection going again, but in the mean time I'd like to try to work without him.

I'm still torn on the Dragon Mantle. It is an excellent mana dump, but I just cannot decide what the right number of copies is...

Still think it's 4 copies. It replaces itself, triggers crusader and swiftspear. It is a very important card.

Here is my take on it.

4x Firedrinker Satyr
4x Akroan Crusader
3x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Foundry Street Denizen
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Dragon Mantle
4x Titan Strength
4x Hammerhand
4x Co-Ordinated Assault
4x Lightning Strike
2x Searing Blood
2x Magma Jet
17x Mountain

Sideboard-
2x Inferno Fist
2x Magma Jet
4x Stoke the Flames
2x Circle of Flame (MIRROR MATCH WOO)
2x Mogis's Warhound
3x Frenzied Goblin

I actually am in love with this deck. It is a very technical deck and not like a burn deck at all and requires very expert use of your mana as their are a ton of mana sinks in the deck. There are so many lines to go towards in order to do 20 damage to the opponent and definitely going to sleeve it up for game day.

Samael fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 24, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Samael posted:

Still think it's 4 copies. It replaces itself, triggers crusader and swiftspear. It is a very important card.

Here is my take on it.

4x Firedrinker Satyr
4x Akroan Crusader
3x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Foundry Street Denizen
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Dragon Mantle
4x Titan Strength
4x Hammerhand
4x Dragon Mantle
4x Lightning Strike
2x Searing Blood
2x Magma Jet
17x Mountain

Sideboard-
2x Inferno Fist
2x Magma Jet
4x Stoke the Flames
2x Circle of Flame (MIRROR MATCH WOO)
2x Mogis's Warhound
3x Frenzied Goblin

I actually am in love with this deck. It is a very technical deck and not like a burn deck at all and requires very expert use of your mana as their are a ton of mana sinks in the deck. There are so many lines to go towards in order to do 20 damage to the opponent and definitely going to sleeve it up for game day.

You have 8 copies of Dragon Mantle, but other than that it's a sweet list and I might build it since I already have the Rabblemasters, and am looking for a cheap Standard list in case I need to play the format.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 24, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

C-Euro posted:

You have 8 copies of Dragon Mantle, but other than that it's a sweet list and I might build it since I already have the Rabblemasters.

Whoops! Yeah replace those with uh... something.

EDIT: It was Co-Ordinated Assault

Samael fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 24, 2014

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
What kind of fixing would I need to have UU (Dig Through Time) and BB (Drown In Sorrow and Hero's Downfall) in a Villainous devotion deck? Should I not bother with either, sticking with Treasure Cruise and Sultai Charm?

I'm also a little worried about being weak to Thoughtseize but hopefully being traditional with Arbor Colossus and Polukranos as well as being able to restock when flooded will prevent too many problems when the Villainous Wealths get countered or Thoughtseized.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
19 black sources to cast your removal on time, 16 blue sources to cast Dig around turn 5 or so, maybe 9 green sources to cast Wealth the turn afterwards. You can shave those numbers a little (especially the green) by accounting for your card drawing and selection, but it's still really greedy.

You really just can't play CC-costing things across three different colours without having both fetches and typed duals to make up your manabase.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Frgrbrgr posted:

Mono-red Burn/Control is back! Here's the updated decklists, very strong and fast, I think this might be a sleeper if you want a deck for the coming weeks.

http://deckstats.net/deck-4936453-4a8c0ff7ba441457a1168ed0626dfd6a.html

This may be stupid but why would you want Battlefield forges in here?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

This may be stupid but why would you want Battlefield forges in here?

To cast the sideboard Erases.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

To cast the sideboard Erases.

I'm an idiot. I missed the sideboard cards. ;)

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
To be fair, the format on that site puts them a bit out of the way.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also to be fair, four white sources is not a suitable mana base to cast anything with.

I mean, even if you really really can't afford tapped lands (you can probably do fine with a couple of tapped lands), at least put some basic Plains in there or something.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Can the deck work without the Sarkans? I'm seriously thinking about throwing this together but they're like up to almost $30 now and it's making my soul hurt or are they just that good?

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Here's an Esper Control shell I put together today: http://deckstats.net/deck-4945653-56a8ad736c429fa6a9dc8b2e2eb67f00.html

quote:

//Planeswalkers
4 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
4 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

//Creatures
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Prognostic Sphinx

//Spells
3 Banishing Light
2 Dig Through Time
2 Empty the Pits
4 End Hostilities
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize

//Lands
4 Caves of Koilos
2 Island
4 Mana Confluence
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Enlightenment
3 Temple of Silence
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Not sure how well it all plays together, but it has some serious value somewhere in there. Empty the Pits gets really good later on, Dig Through Time might just have to go, but it's good. Thoughts?

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
No Jace's Ingenuity?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Frgrbrgr posted:

Here's an Esper Control shell I put together today: http://deckstats.net/deck-4945653-56a8ad736c429fa6a9dc8b2e2eb67f00.html

Not sure how well it all plays together, but it has some serious value somewhere in there. Empty the Pits gets really good later on, Dig Through Time might just have to go, but it's good. Thoughts?

4 Elspeth seems like too many. Its a very expensive spell that you don't need multiples of, really.

AlsoD posted:

What kind of fixing would I need to have UU (Dig Through Time) and BB (Drown In Sorrow and Hero's Downfall) in a Villainous devotion deck? Should I not bother with either, sticking with Treasure Cruise and Sultai Charm?

I'm also a little worried about being weak to Thoughtseize but hopefully being traditional with Arbor Colossus and Polukranos as well as being able to restock when flooded will prevent too many problems when the Villainous Wealths get countered or Thoughtseized.

Dig Through Time isn't a spell you cast on curve (if you could even say that about a Delve spell) very often. You'd definitely want to be skewed towards the black spells you cast early.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 24, 2014

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Frozen_flame posted:

No Jace's Ingenuity?

I can't tell if that's better or worse than Dig Through Time. They're probably interchangeable and can be swapped if I notice any particular GY issues, or GY hate evolves in the meta.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

neetengie posted:

Okay I'm lazy as gently caress so here's a screenshot of a decklist I want to try out:

I would really like to test this deck out with some people on Cockatrice if able, it's just a rough draft of Junk Midrange, that's it. I need to see if Despise is maindeckable and if it isn't I'll switch it's place with the Cuts in my SB.
Bumping this up in the thread because I'd like to have some input on this.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

neetengie posted:

Bumping this up in the thread because I'd like to have some input on this.

This is almost identical the final deck I'm sleeving up this weekend (assuming I get the cards, of course)

Deck: Abzan Rhino Midrange

//Lands
2 Caves of Koilos
3 Forest
3 Llanowar Wastes
2 Mana Confluence
4 Plains
2 Sandsteppe Citadel
1 Swamp
2 Temple of Plenty
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
2 Banishing Light
1 Utter End
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Murderous Cut
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
3 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
2 Anafenza the Foremost
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Fleecemane Lion
2 High Sentinels of Arashin
4 Siege Rhino
4 Sylvan Caryatid

//Sideboard
2 Despise
2 Abzan Charm
3 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Garruk, Apex Predator
2 Drown in Sorrow
2 Erase
2 Mistcutter Hydra
1 Thoughtseize

Display deck statistics

I added Cut to the mainboard because I think you'll get enough stuff in the GY for it to be worth it. I probably could cut the Utter End and just have 2 Charms, but oh well, I think its fine. I like Sorin as an alternative wincon by just protecting him with the big butts and ulting him out in 2 turns.

I really like High Sentinels in the mainboard just because its cute synergy with Anafenza and Ajani and can actually break certain stalemates, particularly against the mirror that isn't using it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 24, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

This is almost identical the final deck I'm sleeving up this weekend (assuming I get the cards, of course)
<snippity snappity>
I added Cut to the mainboard because I think you'll get enough stuff in the GY for it to be worth it. I probably could cut the Utter End and just have 2 Charms, but oh well, I think its fine. I like Sorin as an alternative wincon by just protecting him with the big butts and ulting him out in 2 turns.

I really like High Sentinels in the mainboard just because its cute synergy with Anafenza and Ajani and can actually break certain stalemates, particularly against the mirror that isn't using it.
Here's my most recent list, and I came to the same conclusion to fit High Sentinels in the main:

I played against a friend of mine and didn't like Despise in the main much - Elspeth I thought about more and would rather have her in the sideboard against stuff like Control or other Midrange decks. I added another Anafenza and two Wingmate Rocs, my thought process being that Anafenza is a house and having a slim chance of drawing her is a bad thing, but I don't want to always draw her. Wingmate Rocs would help against aggro, and having two fliers in the sky is great. I might re-add Cut again, just need to know what to cut for it though. Maybe 1 Abzan Charm and 1 Banishing Light?

Offer is still up to playtest in Cockatrice because that would be hella useful before ordering some of the pieces.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Orzhov Warriors

4 Caves of Koilos
4 Mana Confluence
7 Plains
7 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Ajani's Presence
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
3 Herald of Anafenza
4 Tormented Hero
4 Chief of the Edge
4 Chief of the Scale
4 Oreskos Swiftclaw
2 Sightless Brawler
1 Athreos, God of Passage
3 Banishing Light
1 Spear of Heliod
3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

Self-explanatory.

Beat you for 3 on 2, 6(or 8) on 3, Sorin for the win. :v:

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Hi Goons. Would you be willing to give me some advice on my deck? I'm losing pretty often at my campus's Magic Club. I'm on a bit of a budget for adding new cards, so singles over $15.00 are probably out of the question for now.

Sultai Graveyard Deck

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

TerraGoetia posted:

Hi Goons. Would you be willing to give me some advice on my deck? I'm losing pretty often at my campus's Magic Club. I'm on a bit of a budget for adding new cards, so singles over $15.00 are probably out of the question for now.

Sultai Graveyard Deck
First question - is it something related to a format, or is it just anything goes?

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

neetengie posted:

First question - is it something related to a format, or is it just anything goes?

I'm trying to stick with the most recent sets, so Khans, Magic 2015, and the Theros block.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

TerraGoetia posted:

I'm trying to stick with the most recent sets, so Khans, Magic 2015, and the Theros block.

You've got two Dregscape Zombies in there who are waaaay past their expiration date. They provide a little extra reach from the graveyard, but are better suited in an aggro strategy when you just need to push through the extra 2 damage.

Sylvan Caryatids would be better replacements for them in my opinion, they should help you power out your bigger creatures earlier. OOF -- $12.99 a pop, nevermind.
Maybe Bloodsoaked Champions? They're around $6.00 a pop now, and do what your Dregscape Zombies are already doing, but much better at it. On second thought, that card is kind of a nonbo with Dredge, because you don't really want to exile Bloodsoaked Champion for a Dredge card, else it's just a 2/1.

Let me ask you this: How do you see your deck winning?
As far as losing in your playgroup, what are you usually losing to?

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 25, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

You've got two Dregscape Zombies in there who are waaaay past their expiration date. They provide a little extra reach from the graveyard, but are better suited in an aggro strategy when you just need to push through the extra 2 damage.

Sylvan Caryatids would be better replacements for them in my opinion, they should help you power out your bigger creatures earlier. OOF -- $12.99 a pop, nevermind.
Maybe Bloodsoaked Champions? They're around $6.00 a pop now, and do what your Dregscape Zombies are already doing, but much better at it.

Yeah, Sylvans are stupid expensive right now.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Maybe Bloodsoaked Champions? They're around $6.00 a pop now, and do what your Dregscape Zombies are already doing, but much better at it.

The Dredgescape Zombies are actually from the Speed vs. Cunning duel decks, but Tapped Out wasn't displaying that properly. I originally put them in because I thought they gave me more graveyard play--I could discard them for Sidisi or the Vizier, and then play them out of the grave. I guess they don't do as much for me as I had intended.

I can't afford the Sylvan Caryatid right now, but maybe I can trade someone for it the next time I'm playing.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Bloodsoaked Champion. I bought one just now and will update my list to reflect that. Coming back more than once means I can be a bit trigger-happy about sacrificing/discarding/swinging with him.

Edit: Ahh crap, I bought the card while you were making your edit.

Edit2: So I've been winning in the past by stalling the game out with zombie tokens, then swinging with Become Immense on one of the big creatures (especially the Terra Stomper). If the game lasts, Garruk's emblem means I'll go whole-hog, since even the zombie tokens will be killing machines.

I've been losing to mass flying, fast aggression, and gods like Purphoros that can damage me each turn without me having a response.

TerraGoetia fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 25, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

TerraGoetia posted:

The Dredgescape Zombies are actually from the Speed vs. Cunning duel decks, but Tapped Out wasn't displaying that properly. I originally put them in because I thought they gave me more graveyard play--I could discard them for Sidisi or the Vizier, and then play them out of the grave. I guess they don't do as much for me as I had intended.

I can't afford the Sylvan Caryatid right now, but maybe I can trade someone for it the next time I'm playing.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Bloodsoaked Champion. I bought one just now and will update my list to reflect that. Coming back more than once means I can be a bit trigger-happy about sacrificing/discarding/swinging with him.

Edit: Ahh crap, I bought the card while you were making your edit.

Edit2: So I've been winning in the past by stalling the game out with zombie tokens, then swinging with Become Immense on one of the big creatures (especially the Terra Stomper). If the game lasts, Garruk's emblem means I'll go whole-hog, since even the zombie tokens will be killing machines.

I've been losing to mass flying, fast aggression, and gods like Purphoros that can damage me each turn without me having a response.

Bloodsoaked Champion is a really good card anyways, and you won't be sad for having bought him. I'm considering buying 4 before everyone gets the idea that he's The Real DealTM. He just might not be optimal in this build. If you even have a passing idea of making an aggro deck in black, Bloodsoaked Champion's your man.

So it looks like you're going for big beefy beats mid-to-late game. As I suspected, Dregscape Zombie doesn't really fit into that plan too well because 2/1 quickly becomes irrelevant, even coming back from the graveyard later.
You're almost definitely going to need more spot removal. This set's Murderous Cut is exactly what you're looking for, and I would try and get my hands on at least two of them, if not the full complement. Windstorm is a great answer in green for mass flying creatures, and it's been reprinted from here and back, so it should be negligibly cheap. Plummet is probably your next best cheap option.
Green has access to some real God-hosers, notably Fade Into Antiquity (seeya forever Purps) and Unravel the Aether which will give you some breathing room at instant speed.
Also, I don't know why, but Reaper of the Wilds is still stupidly cheap and a really good Golgari card. 4/5 potential deathtouch/hexproof is a really flexible creature. You should reliably be able to use it's scry ability with all the zombies you should be pumping out.
Drown In Sorrow and/or Bile Blight is good removal against early aggro decks, and I don't think they're terribly expensive right now.
Sagu Mauler has hexproof and trample, and is a great target for Become Immense.
Treasure Cruise as a one-of would be a really good way to keep your hand stocked and make use of those delve cards.
Also, Nighthowler could be a wicked card in this deck, but probably prone to massive fluctuations in P/T if you delve often. Still, it's a $1 rare.

I'm sure there are others here who have more advice, but there's my two cents.

What the hell: I have some time at work today, so I'll go through your deck and offer my ideas, keeping in mind you're on a budget:
-Ancient Silverback. A decent finisher creature, stays on the battlefield for a while, but doesn't synergize at all with your graveyard, and has zero evasion. I would replace it with the aforementioned Reaper of the Wilds.
-Bloodsoaked Champion. As mentioned before, a great card, but maybe not at home here.
-Dregscape Zombie. Illegal in standard. Cut ASAP. Like Bloodsoaked Champion, but worse. There are plenty of other cards you could put in.
-Grim Haruspex. Personally, I like this card, but the "nontoken" clause really hurts in in this deck. Still, not bad, and oddly enough, combos well with our ol' buddy Bloodsoaked Champ.
-Mystic of the Hidden Way. Nice budget card, and a great target for your Become Immenses. It will eat removal very quickly. You could eventually do better, but this is a nice clock while you gum up the groundworks with zombies.
-Necromancer's Assistant. Good way to enabler delve cards, and a decent body. It's doing what you want this deck to do, so keep it in.
-Necropolis Fiend. Tight, you could play this out pretty quickly and get out to a good lead. It wouldn't hurt to have 1 more.
-Prognostic Sphinx. Also a good card, evasive, a naturally big butt, and a massive delve enabler. Scry 3 is big too. I love it.
-Rakshasa Deathdealer. It's a really good card to stick early and keeps some relevance late game by being a mana sink and resilient, but the lack of evasion makes it a subpar choice. Not bad, but one of my first considerations for cut.
-Rakshasa Vizier. Yeah, this dude gets super swole just being around while you Delve. Opponents are going to need quick answers once you've stuck them. But, as usual, they're just big bodies with no evasion, so they will eventually be outclassed by anything with regeneration or deathtouch. Still great synergy with your plan, and a late cut if at all.
-Ruthless Ripper. Ruth the Ruthless Ripper, she's a bit of a toss-up. If you morph her, it's really up to your opponent to read your poker face or block with a creature they don't mind losing to her. If you sit back with a morph, your opponent will just assume the worse and fly over. I think she's redundant in your deck and can be cut for proactive removal instead.
-Satyr Wayfinder. Great card here. Good early play to fill your yard and you're pretty likely to hit a land. I'd keep both of them.
-Sidisi, Brood Tyrant - Yeah, if you've got 3, play 'em! She's gumming up the groundworks while simultaneously enabling delve. No qualms here.
-Siege Wurm. Here's the evasion you need. I think this is a decent choice for you if you've got a few zombies on the ground that can convoke it early. Be warned that as soon as you stick your Become Immense on it, it's going to bait out removal. Keep it in though.
-Sultai Soothsayer. - Good as a 1-of. Dig a little, delve a little. the 2/5 body is pretty nice. I wouldn't run more than 2 though.
-Terra Stomper. Yeah, go for it. There's that trample, and uncounterable is gravy. Same as Siege Wurm, it's gonna bait that removal.
-Singing Bell Strike - This is exactly the removal you don't want. This is designed to allow aggro/tempo decks to get in their last few hits. You want your deck to go late game, and by that time this enchantment is totally outclassed. In fact, I would consider hitting my own creature with it to give it "6: Vigilance." Number one choice for cut.
-Sultai Ascendancy - Quite a good card for this deck, and I love that you don't necessarily need to toss anything in the yard if you don't want. The mana cost is tough to get early, so I wouldn't run more than two.
-Become Immense- This is your finisher spell, dovetailed with a trampler/flyer. You definitely need to be hitting something with evasion, otherwise it's chump-block town for you. I'm not sold on this spell honestly, and I think you can do better even on a budget.
-Empty the Pits - Go for it. Make 11 2/2 zombies. Now you've got a wall of 2/2s. Swing in for the win. (Don't run more than 1)
-Sultai Charm - Very versatile, and almost never dead in your hand. Keep it in.
-Unmake the Graves - I'm not usually sold on "return target creature from your graveyard" spells in constructed, so I rate this pretty low, but considering you'll have tons of 2/2s on the ground, I think this could often be better than a Raise Dead, so I'd say keep it as a one-of.
-Restock - Blegh. 5 mana? I mean, it's nice to hit an instant again, but it's not worth it. You want to be exiling cards to delve, not grabbing them back. Cut it.
-Scout the Borders - Nah, this is Satyr Wayfinder's job. You've got better things to do on turn 3. Cut em both.
-Taigam's Scheming - Should definitely be Commune with the Gods, which doesn't net you -1 card like Taigam's Scheming does. Cut it for Commune with the Gods.
-Garruk, Apex Predator - Great card, keep it.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 26, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Bloodsoaked Champion is a really good card anyways, and you won't be sad for having bought him. I'm considering buying 4 before everyone gets the idea that he's The Real DealTM.

Just FYI for you and everyone else who are worried about card prices etc, the EV of this set it currently like $5ish per pack. That is a dollar over MSRP and way way to high. This set can not sustain the prices it currently has once supply opens up. Sorin and Sarkhan are not going to sustain $30, the set is not going to sustain 10+ $5-10 rares etc. in addition to the fetches. Either fetches become $5 or the standard playables are going to come down.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

jassi007 posted:

Just FYI for you and everyone else who are worried about card prices etc, the EV of this set it currently like $5ish per pack. That is a dollar over MSRP and way way to high. This set can not sustain the prices it currently has once supply opens up. Sorin and Sarkhan are not going to sustain $30, the set is not going to sustain 10+ $5-10 rares etc. in addition to the fetches. Either fetches become $5 or the standard playables are going to come down.

Completely agree with jassi.

The MTG finance crowd will have a price floor on fetches, 8-10 absolute worst case for fetches, but 12-16 is more reasonable. If a card isn't mythic, it won't hold its price. Even most of those will crater to mythic bulk status.

Here's my calls: fetches, sarkhan and 1 mystery card stay in the double digits, everything else tanks.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Molybdenum posted:

Completely agree with jassi.

The MTG finance crowd will have a price floor on fetches, 8-10 absolute worst case for fetches, but 12-16 is more reasonable. If a card isn't mythic, it won't hold its price. Even most of those will crater to mythic bulk status.

Here's my calls: fetches, sarkhan and 1 mystery card stay in the double digits, everything else tanks.

This is most likely the case. As of right now a box of Khans has an average value of nearly $190. Sorin's price has more than DOUBLED in a week (106% to be exact). Don't gauge anything on right now prices...we have a VERY limited pool of cards that people are jumping on to get in ahead of the curve, but this set will likely be the most opened set in the past year. The market will be FLOODED with opened Khans cards in 2 weeks time.

On the other hand...NOW is the time to be selling the cards you open. I had 2 Sorins and a Sarkhan that I sold this week for $30/ea. and I don't regret it. The only cards I am holding for now are Rattleclaw Mystic, Siege Rhino and Bloodsoaked Champion because I think those cards are stagnant where they are or will go down to level out some.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

An LGS is going to be having a win a box tournament on Sunday. Khans block only. it's to drive early sales of products and but lol last time it was won with MBD consisting of mostly uncommons and a couple Nykthos.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could bring? Assume I've gone to enough prereleases to have access to any common/uncommon but no planes walkers. I don't think anyone will be rolling in with a junk midrange deck featuring all 4 sorins but you never know. It's usually just what people were able to grab from prerelease and FNM tomorrow.

I was able to get a playset of utter ends and a couple siege big dudes so I'm thinking junk midrange with the morph life linker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

An LGS is going to be having a win a box tournament on Sunday. Khans block only. it's to drive early sales of products and but lol last time it was won with MBD consisting of mostly uncommons and a couple Nykthos.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could bring? Assume I've gone to enough prereleases to have access to any common/uncommon but no planes walkers. I don't think anyone will be rolling in with a junk midrange deck featuring all 4 sorins but you never know. It's usually just what people were able to grab from prerelease and FNM tomorrow.

I was able to get a playset of utter ends and a couple siege big dudes so I'm thinking junk midrange with the morph life linker.

Abzan is loving nuts. Highlight cards to grab:

Siege Rhino and Utter End, as you said
Ainok Bond-Kin, first striker lord
Abzan Falconer, flyer lord
Abzan Charm, uncommon, instant speed +1/+1s
Mer-Ek Nightblade, deathtouch lord
Armament corps, +1/+1 granter that is a must-have

And then any rares: Duneblast, High Sentinels, Ivorytusk Fortress, Anafenza, Ascendancy, Hardened Scales, Herald of Anafenza, Sorin. Make sure to get as many tri-lands and refuges as you can in color. The morph lifelinker is only ok and lifelink in general isn't very necessary unless the other deck is seriously fast. You just get big then smash. Trample is ok for the same reason, but seriously it's just win-more.

Also final note: Brave the Sands is a non-bo with Anafenza and Ivorytusk Fortress.

• Locked thread