Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Hello all, getting into MtG over the last couple months, still fairly new, but I've been having a lot of fun fine tuning this deck and figured hey, why not post it here.

I believe this counts as "Block Standard/Casual." It's G/W and built around the heroic mechanic. I know I shouldn't have this many 1xs and 2xs, it's mostly because I don't have more than 1 or 2 of the cards that should really be filling out this deck.

Heroes of the Sun God

I will say, though, that throwing down counters like hotcakes is some of the best fun I've had with games all year. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Hey there goons, I don't post here often.

Long story short, I planned on competing locally (FNMs, Grand Prixs) in Standard with a Constellation deck. Then Back to Nature happened. So now I'm scrambling for an alternative that I can really latch on to. So far I'm thinking Garruk/Planeswalker Jund, or maybe more cheaply, Mono-Red Burn with Scuttling Doom Engine. Here's a brew I have so far:

quote:

Mono-Red “Scuttling Burn Engine”

Mid-range burn/control deck with combo finisher

Creatures
4x Scuttling Doom Engine
4x Stormbreath Dragon
4x Generator Servant
4x Satyr Firedancer

Burn
2x Spark Jolt (scry 1)
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet (scry 2)
2x Searing Blood
2x Shrapnel Blast
4x Stoke the Flames

Is this card even good?
4x Chandra, Pyromancer

Land
4x Darksteel Citadel
16x Mountain

Tell me what's bad about this.

EDIT: Obviously this is for after the rotation. I'll put in anything good from Khans of Tarkir.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 22, 2014

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Red Burn Deck with some control elements. Lots of synergy off Firedancer, Shrapnel Blast + Doom Engine finish. Thinking about sideboard, rip it apart!

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
MonoRed Artifact Burn - update from a few pages back

Super fun to play, lots of value plays, will see how it survives testing against my playgroup this weekend.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

jassi007 posted:

Why not the dog thing that gets +X/0 and trample if you have an artifact?

Basically, "because Rabblemaster," but the long version of it is that I think the deck works because it provides threats on multiple levels, hopefully at the same time. Dragon and Doom Engine are both evasive but in different ways, but also require removal to be varied (Dragon has protection from white, while Doom Engine is only clean if you exile it, which is white). Meanwhile Rabblemaster just kinda takes over games by himself and is an immediate removal target which lets me smokescreen until I get out the bigger cards, along with continuing to combo off with Firedancer.

I wasn't sure about Rabblemaster but I wanted some sort of third big threat to go along with Dragon and Doom Engine. I was looking at Eidolon of the Great Revels for a while, and Prophetic Flamespeaker, and Chandra, but I think Rabblemaster does the smokescreen job the best to set up the real damage that comes in the midgame. Thinking about it, the dog probably should have been a consideration too, but it has a few weaknesses—Lightning Strike and the possibility of just not having an artifact in play. Ideally, Mongrel would come out before Doom Engine, on turn 3 or 4, and the only artifact I'd really have in play at that point is the Citadel, so 4/60 isn't great.

Btw if anybody doesn't see it, the super combo here is sacrificing a Generator Servant to play a hasty attacking Doom Engine that gets in for 6, then Shrapnel Blasting it for another 11. Turn 6 is an important one.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

neetengie posted:

Oi bruv I hope you come back with a report on how it runs. Seems interesting.

Okay, here's my thoughts so far:

Overall: Deck is quite strong, especially when it gets the right draw/curve and especially if the opponent doesn't. I played against a Constellation deck with a pretty good win rate (70-80%, I'd say) and against a G/B deck with Grey Merchants and the Whip and went maybe 60%. Lifegain is hard to beat, and high toughness creatures, but if it curves outright it's basically a Turn 4 kill.

Card notes: Satyr Firedancer is really important to get, should almost always be your 2 drop, but it's totally worth the lack of momentum in the first two turns for almost always some 2for1 burn spell on Turn 3. Getting out multiple Firedancers just makes the burn better, and Stoke the Flames on Turn 3 by convoking the Firedancer can deal with almost every powerful 3 drop (Brimaz, Courser, etc). Since this is only 2 mana, it's also quite efficient if it eats some removal, almost always trading for something that costs equal or more. Worst case scenario, it sits around and crashes for 1 if your opponent has no blockers.

Generator Servant is a great turn 2/3 play if you're ahead or even on board, especially so if you have a Dragon or Doom Engine in hand. Getting those out on turn 3 or 4 is basically the dream, and with haste they can almost always hit. Worst case scenario, you still put a halt on any 2 toughness creature bashing in.

Goblin Rabblemaster is in because I wanted something to take me from early game to midgame. It's the smokescreen that lets me set up the later plays, and naturally draws a lot of removal towards itself. At the very least, it's free tokens. At the very best, it kills by turn 4 or 5 along with the burn you already have. Some notes: having two out means that they both must attack! Don't forget that trigger if you're in a precarious board situation. Also, if you don't want to attack with the token, you can convoke out a Stoke the Flames before declaring attackers after it hits the board to tap it down and get a better attack next turn.

Stormbreath Dragon, didn't get much work in my tests because I didnt see much white, but obviously strong against exile removal and white fliers. This is already a well-known beater.

Scuttling Doom Engine is such a house. Generator Serving it to an opponent's face on Turn 4 feels great, immediately requires some sort of removal, and the 3-power requirement to block it gets around a lot of blockers you'll see(Nyx-fleece Ram, Courser, Caryatid), along with completely hopping over most aggro decks. Obvious combo finish with Shrapnel Blast, and the dream turn is 17 damage with a Doom Engine swing then the full 11 damage from Shrapnel Blasting it. I'm going to be paying very close attention to lifegain and sweepers in Khans, basically because destroying this guy vs. exiling him in any sort of control strategy is a six damage difference. With four Doom Engines in the deck, it's definitely possible to put your opponent in a no-win situation where they can't clear the board, because the six damage would kill them.

The burn spells are all more or less great, the two worse ones are Shrapnel Blast and Searing Blood, but both have tremendous upside in the right situations. Shrapnel Blast if you have one of the 8 artifacts, and Searing Blood for the insta-2for1 if they have a two toughness creature. And Firedancer makes them all so, so much better.

Sideboard Thoughts: Hoarding Dragon for more consistent Doom Engines, plus it ain't a bad draw in itself. Very weak against exiling, you lose both cards.

Twinflame on Firedancer is great. Twinflame on Rabblemaster is great. Twinflame on Doom Engine isn't so great because it exiles. But if you can Twinflame the Doom Engine, attack with both, then Shrapnel Blast the copy, that's 23 damage for just 5 mana late in the game. Yeah, highly considering messing around with this.

Enchantment hate might be necessary to get around certain things. Sideboarding in Back to Nature might be a great call, but do I put in Temples of Abandon to my sideboard? My main board? I'll have to see what else is good here.

Torch fiend for artifact hate.

Eidolon of the Great Revels is a good sideboard option, but I'm not sure how necessary it is.

Also, considering throwing in some goblins to make it more of a mono-red aggro deck after sideboarding. Key players would be Foundry Street Denizen to combo off the Rabblemaster token triggers, and Frenzied Goblin.

Final Thoughts: I can't wait to see what burn Khans brings in! Mono-red should be an interesting archetype with a bunch of wedge cards, but I'm sure I can figure something out. Also on my radar would be a red/green land that can be tapped that turn, which would make Back to Nature much more of an option. Mana Confluence is such a painful backup, and kinda missing the point of the card, but might be necessary depending on how many enchantments get picked up after the rotation.

Let me know what y'all think!

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I was hoping you'd do a trip report with that. I've been meaning to make something along those lines but hadn't tried it yet so I'm glad it was successful. Do you think the rabblemasters pulled their weight in the majority of games?

I think the Rabblemasters pull their weight goddamn anytime they hit the board, regardless of the board state. The only clean answer is instant-speed removal before the token comes out. They fit very well into the curve as the go-to 3 drop and you can even turn the token chump blocking in a behind situation into removal with the right burn spell. It also totally shuts down Caryatid, because it almost always attacks with 3 or more power.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

neetengie posted:

What enchantments did you have problems with specifically? What would a sample sideboard look like? Would Mizzium Mortars be a good SB option?

Good to know. I need some rabblemasters and stormbreaths to finish that deck, but I just realized that none of the deck is rotating out so it seems like a good thing to build right now. I'm assuming the sideboard is some combination of mortars, skullcrack, and some relevant hate cards. Phyrexian revoker seems like a good option with jund walkers being so popular suddenly.

First off just gotta say that this is definitely a post-rotation Standard Deck, Mizzium Mortars would be great to bring along but it's gone (but thankfully, so is Pack Rat and Sphinx's Rev). As far as enchantments go, a lot of my concern is just speculation on what the Standard archetypes are going to be after rotation. Whip of Erebos is a real big shut down with the lifegain and Grey Merchants flying back in from the graveyard, and Mono-black is definitely going to still be around. Back to Nature just feels right now like a really safe 2for1 off the sideboard against most decks, especially if Bestow sticks around. Not a lot of creatures can't be killed by Firedancer burn copies, but enchantments could put them out of range if they catch me tapped out. We'll see how that actually goes...

If I had to make a sideboard right now, that rotates, based on absolutely no testing, it'd be:

2 Temple of Abandon
2 Back to Nature
2 Torch Fiend
4 Foundry Street Denizen
2 Twinflame
1 Fated Conflagration
2 Eidolon of the Great Revels

poo poo Phyrexian Revoker works well too. Maybe that and more Shrapnel Blasts? Not sure how good Planeswalkers actually will be against this deck, since Doom Engine hops over all the tokens and Stoke the Flames ain't bad either.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Boco_T posted:

Are you saying have green cards in the sideboard and only run 2 sources of green to cast them? You need at least 9 sources of a color to cast it reliably by turn 6 even.

poo poo I don't know, I've only really done draft. You're right though, how the hell does red deal with enchantments?

Probably just count to 20.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe it's worth mainboarding 4 temples anyway. I don't have a turn 1 play and the scry is incredibly valuable.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 14, 2014

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Might be worth mainboarding the w/r temple so you can run a toolbox of white removal and wear/tear. White has better sideboard options than green.

Good thinking. Let's see... Deicide, maybe Banishing Light, any good gold cards? Anax and Cymede? Nah. God ain't great either. There's that WR trick too that probably isn't worth it.

Also, I forgot to mention Anger of the Gods is a definite sideboard card against aggro decks and likely required for mirror matchups.

Revised Sideboard
3 Deicide
2 Torch Fiend
4 Foundry Street Denizen
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Eidolon of the Great Revels
1 Fated Conflagration

Twinflame on second thought seems more win-more than board stabilizing which is what the deck really needs.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Pete Zah posted:

I just started playing Magic 2 weeks ago and bought a couple of intro packs plus a deck builder's toolkit. I bought a couple Elvish Mystics, but otherwise, I have no idea what to do with this green deck which started from The Wilds and the Deep intro deck.

I'm on a budget so I can't just add mythics and rares willy-nilly, I'm just asking for a little direction. More or less mana-ramp, more big dudes, more small dudes, more or less spells, that kind of thing. Recommended cards would be awesome too :)

In general, find the cards that work for how you want to play and put 4 of them in. 1-ofs and 2-ofs are just not consistent enough, if you have a good card just get 4 of them.

In terms of specific card notes, Archetype of Imagination is wayyy overpriced and fragile as hell, Shock as a 1 drop kills it. You have 2 Kiora's Follower and 1 Voyaging Satyr—just get two more Followers, they are very solid in UG decks. Also there's an infinite combo if you have 2xMarket Festival on the same land and a Kiora's Follower and a Thassa's Ire, all cheap to obtain, very fun to pull off if you can manage it. You can basically make infinite mana and turn it into infinite damage, tap downs, draw, scry, and my favorite, infinite infinite/infinite hydras with the Broodmother. More expensive upgrades would include Courser of Kruphix, Prophet of Kruphix, Thassa, and Sylvan Caryatid.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Made a tentative Jeskai deck with lots of instants for prowess triggers. Tested it on Cockatrice last night, it's not too great but it is substantially more powerful if you can get the right curve to land an Ascendancy on turn 3. Maybe more consistency could make it Standard-worthy? Feel free to take the list and run with it if anybody is interested. Dragon-style seems like a bad curve topper, as an additional thought. 3 toughness for 5 mana without haste just ain't cutting it in a world with Lightning Strikes and lots of cheap Sorcery-speed removal.

quote:

2 Bloodfire Expert
2 Dragon-Style Twins
2 Jeskai Elder
2 Jeskai Student
3 Jeskai Ascendancy
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Jeskai Charm
4 Winterflame
2 Bident of Thassa
3 Lightning Strike
4 Mystic Monastery
2 Flooded Strand
2 Temple of Triumph
4 Temple of Epiphany
2 Island
2 Plains
4 Mana Confluence
3 Voyage's End
4 Icy Blast
1 Quiet Contemplation
4 Mountain
SB: 3 Erase
SB: 3 Dissolve
SB: 4 Aerial Formation
SB: 1 Quiet Contemplation
SB: 3 Arc Lightning
SB: 1 Jeskai Ascendancy

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Does it have to be a 6? Hornet Queen nearly thrived in a Supreme Verdict/Lifebane Zombie meta, and I don't see much in KTK that's going to stop it. It's going to be a Thoughtseize/Rabblemaster/Hornet Queen format until someone breaks it.

Scuttling Doom Engine might be a good counter to Hornet Queen? I've been meaning to update and post my Scuttling burn/control deck here, will do so soonerish.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Mono-red Burn/Control is back! Here's the updated decklists, very strong and fast, I think this might be a sleeper if you want a deck for the coming weeks.

http://deckstats.net/deck-4936453-4a8c0ff7ba441457a1168ed0626dfd6a.html

quote:

//Creatures
4 Satyr Firedancer
4 Generator Servant
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Scuttling Doom Engine

//Burn
2 Shrapnel Blast
4 Stoke the Flames
2 Searing Blood
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike

//Dragon
4 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

//Lands
16 Mountain
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Battlefield Forge

//Sideboard
3 Fated Conflagration
4 Anger of the Gods
4 Erase
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Boco_T posted:

To have a 90% chance of casting a single W spell by turn 7, you need 9 sources of a color. So 4 sources of W will not get you to Erase, unfortunately. Bringing it in out of the side, especially if you brought in all 4 copies, you'd probably have a least a 50% of being unable to cast it in any normal-length game.

Yeah, I still need to figure out the land situation, but certain enchantments shut the deck down hard, like Whip. What're the numbers if there's 4 Mana Confluence in for 4 Mountains? I tried the temples but coming in tapped just slows down the game so fast.

AgentSythe posted:

This looks pretty spicy. I think that Satyr Firedancer is underplayed in Standard overall and would be pretty good at wiping up the nerds trying out aggro on day 0. Erase is a nice answer to the gods, the clan Ascendancies, Coursers, and other random enchantments and I think white deserves an inclusion in the deck, but do you think 4 Battlefield Forges will get you there? Are you interested in artifact destruction spells, such as Shatter? Why not go all the way up to 4 Stoke the Flames? That card is really bananas with Rabblemaster. Do we really want 4 Darksteel Citadels with no Ensoul? I understand the Shrapnel Blast interaction but if we want to splash white for real 4 might be pushing it. I think we want 4 Searing Blood as well in the 75, but 2 in the main seems right.

Other questions in order:

- Artifact destruction, not so worried about, there's just not many great artifacts in Standard that aren't also enchantments. I guess it might be worthwhile having some Torch Fiends on the side as well?

- There are 4 Stoke the Flames.

- Darksteel citadel is worth the Upside of Shrapnel Blast, red mana sources are all over the place and in testing, I've rarely had problems with it.

What I really need to do is test this against a saucy Mono-Black devotion deck with Whips and Grey Merchants.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Boco_T posted:

I feel that, just trying to make mana work without taplands in this format is going to be horrible. 4 Confluence 4 Forge doesn't quite get you up to 90% based on this page but I think it probably gets you over like 75% to be able to cast it in an average game.

On the plus side, it gets turn 5 kills pretty often so that's good. I'm hoping the obvious weaknesses get erased by every other deck either being slow durdly three-colors or red aggro decks that get shut down easily by Searing Bloods and Angers.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Here's an Esper Control shell I put together today: http://deckstats.net/deck-4945653-56a8ad736c429fa6a9dc8b2e2eb67f00.html

quote:

//Planeswalkers
4 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
4 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

//Creatures
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Prognostic Sphinx

//Spells
3 Banishing Light
2 Dig Through Time
2 Empty the Pits
4 End Hostilities
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize

//Lands
4 Caves of Koilos
2 Island
4 Mana Confluence
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Enlightenment
3 Temple of Silence
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Not sure how well it all plays together, but it has some serious value somewhere in there. Empty the Pits gets really good later on, Dig Through Time might just have to go, but it's good. Thoughts?

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Frozen_flame posted:

No Jace's Ingenuity?

I can't tell if that's better or worse than Dig Through Time. They're probably interchangeable and can be swapped if I notice any particular GY issues, or GY hate evolves in the meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

An LGS is going to be having a win a box tournament on Sunday. Khans block only. it's to drive early sales of products and but lol last time it was won with MBD consisting of mostly uncommons and a couple Nykthos.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could bring? Assume I've gone to enough prereleases to have access to any common/uncommon but no planes walkers. I don't think anyone will be rolling in with a junk midrange deck featuring all 4 sorins but you never know. It's usually just what people were able to grab from prerelease and FNM tomorrow.

I was able to get a playset of utter ends and a couple siege big dudes so I'm thinking junk midrange with the morph life linker.

Abzan is loving nuts. Highlight cards to grab:

Siege Rhino and Utter End, as you said
Ainok Bond-Kin, first striker lord
Abzan Falconer, flyer lord
Abzan Charm, uncommon, instant speed +1/+1s
Mer-Ek Nightblade, deathtouch lord
Armament corps, +1/+1 granter that is a must-have

And then any rares: Duneblast, High Sentinels, Ivorytusk Fortress, Anafenza, Ascendancy, Hardened Scales, Herald of Anafenza, Sorin. Make sure to get as many tri-lands and refuges as you can in color. The morph lifelinker is only ok and lifelink in general isn't very necessary unless the other deck is seriously fast. You just get big then smash. Trample is ok for the same reason, but seriously it's just win-more.

Also final note: Brave the Sands is a non-bo with Anafenza and Ivorytusk Fortress.

• Locked thread