Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I was there earlier tonight. There were reps from each major manufacturer with an example of most every bike from their current model lineup. There were also a few accessory manufacturers and a few gear retailers with a presence. I don't think that the show was really worth $12 to me, since I've done some pretty decent research on what my next bike will be and have already had an opportunity to put a leg over those options. But if you want to really get some bandwidth for putting your butt in some saddles, this has got to be the best way to do it.

Also worth noting: Free bike parking and free gear check (a la coat check). Didn't have to worry about hauling my coat / backpack / helmet around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm at the convention center if anyone else goes.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone else go?

Here's my album from the show

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Looks good! I didn't make it out this weekend on account of playing the "what tools do I need?" game for my exhaust install this week.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Is anyone else looking at the forecast with restrained optimism?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I hope it is warm! I desperately want to get out and burn some fuel.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I bought new tires online... anyone know a place that's NOT 140$+ to put em on?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Moto Liberty is doing a big sale / party tomorrow. Anyone gonna go check it out? I've not done a whole lot of shopping for gear around Dallas, but I was really impressed by their selection.

full disclosure: I'm a customer, bought all of my riding gear from them.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Moto Liberty is doing a big sale / party tomorrow. Anyone gonna go check it out? I've not done a whole lot of shopping for gear around Dallas, but I was really impressed by their selection.

That's like a mile from my house, probably stop by to take a look.

Now that I'm finally confident enough to take my motorcycle into traffic can anyone recommend a ride or something? Imagine I were starting from that motoliberty place.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I've been using http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Texas_119.html as a baseline for my routes. There's not much in that area specifically though, it's kinda knee-deep in the city.

You could head west and check out part of Fort Worth, or you could head north and check out some of that area. Eastbound along FM 455 from I35 to FM 543 to McKinney is a nice route. The fissures in the road surface on 543 from the other direction are awful, though.

I need to get to work tomorrow sometime in the afternoon, but if you feel like starting out early (10~11am from MotoLiberty) I'd go exploring with you. PM me if you're down.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

hmmm that's less than 10 minutes from my office, and I leave work at 10am... I'll have to stop by at least.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Motoliberty is awesome. I like those guys. I also got to play with my new paddock stand (which I got from Motoliberty)! Fun stuff. Easy to use and seems nice and stable. My chain is now super clean! Or , I think it's super-clean, I'm traditionally a shaft-drive guy, so this whole "chain" thing is new to me.

Good day for riding, anyone else get out?

Also, anyone have a compelling reason I shouldn't stick this on my bike? http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-crashbars-engine-guards-triumph-street-triple-675-08

I'm moving to that Remus system (it sounds like angels screaming something to death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcfwGYOrsso)as soon as my goddamned exhaust gaskets come in, which according to the nice Austrians should weight something like 15 pounds less than my stock exhaust. Those crash bars weigh 12 pounds, so I figure if I slap those on, total bike weight change is inconsequential. Well, as inconsequential as it can be with my fat rear end riding it.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 18, 2013

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I was out trying the first few legs of this route http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1091/Texas/North-Dallas---455-onto-697.html . I think the contributor had an optimistic view of the road surface, though. Eastbound FM546 out of McKinney has some really really kickass long high speed corners with lots of room and nearly-new road surface. Some other parts of the trail, not so much.

PadreScout, I don't normally care for crash bars on non-adv bikes, but I think that matches the styling on the Striple pretty nicely.

edit: I meant *East*bound FM546. It routes around some warehouses / light industrial near the airport.

kuffs fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 18, 2013

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

I've ridden that 697 between Sherman and Whitewright - super nice but short, I didn't know about that south leg on 496 until I got back home. Good to hear it's good stuff. I'm going to have to get out and ride it here in the near future.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
weathers about to turn poo poo. Looks like the end of the season is upon us.

Everyone put some fuel stabilizer in their machine and run it into the carbs?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
screw that I'm from the great white north and will ride if it's sunny and above 30*.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I didn't just go buy a lined one-piece for nothing!

(Still waiting on my waterproof boots to come in)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Skreemer posted:

screw that I'm from the great white north and will ride if it's sunny and above 30*.

For real. Gear up and nut up, ladies.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The weather's looking pretty nice on Sunday, guys. Anyone feel like exploring?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
This is what happens when you ride with goons

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

This is what happens when you ride with goons

Fortunately you have some kind of Super Fancy bike where all your parts are firmly attached and people come tow you when you get a flat tire :v:. Had a great time riding today man, sorry about the tire.

BTW, I just now noticed that what happened to my shift lever. The PO sheared the original peg/bolt, and rather than getting a new lever/peg combo, elected to drill a new hole that isn't really flush with the lever and install a peg into that. Why would you do that. A gear shift lever is 15 dollars come on. Oh well, new one on the way.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
It would have been really swank if I actually got a tow. I waited for an hour for the agent to call me back after they arranged everything. Ended up calling in to cancel, and happened to get the agent sitting next to the one I had talked to previously. Apparently an hours worth of effort and she couldn't find anyone that could tow the bike in the area. Gal was in the middle of calling the local PD to see if they had any ideas.

My brother showed up about a half hour after that. He and I went and got a plug kit, plugged it, and rode it home without issue. The tire kept a steady 40psi the entire ride home. (I loving love TPMS)

Pulled this out of the tire

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

It would have been really swank if I actually got a tow. I waited for an hour for the agent to call me back after they arranged everything. Ended up calling in to cancel, and happened to get the agent sitting next to the one I had talked to previously. Apparently an hours worth of effort and she couldn't find anyone that could tow the bike in the area. Gal was in the middle of calling the local PD to see if they had any ideas.

My brother showed up about a half hour after that. He and I went and got a plug kit, plugged it, and rode it home without issue. The tire kept a steady 40psi the entire ride home. (I loving love TPMS)

Pulled this out of the tire

Oh, poo poo. Wish I'd stayed I could have run somewhere and got a patch kit or something. :( Glad you made it back OK. Pretty lovely on BMW's part, although bumblefuck Texas on a sunday afternoon is not really the best place to get a tow. Can you prorate the tire?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I don't really blame BMW in this case, they tried really hard. The last time I had my car towed I waited an hour and a half, and that was in the middle of Richardson. I think the wreckers around here are just allergic to money or something.

I survived, and now I'll be buying a tire repair kit right away.

I'm not sure about proration. I opted out of the road hazard warranty, and the roadside assistance is complimentary. I don't think I have a claim to any sort of tire replacement.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Lovely day for a ride, eh, gents?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I tried taking the ninja out. Promptly dropped it coming to a stop on my way out of the apartment complex.

I went and put it back away immediately.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
It's truck weather. I love this stuff though. For me it's a ton of fun to drive in. No one on the roads and I can take it easy. Though saying that I pushed 3 cars out of ice(snow) banks and towed one guy out of a ditch. The bike is sleeping for a few days.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Yeah, I took my Miata out for Tokyo Driftu on Friday, I think I'll just wait it out over the weekend. Get some videogame time in and relax.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Took the Bandit 1250's tires to be swapped out (found a place that'll do it relatively cheap for me).
Been out riding the GS450. it's a bit chilly in the morning but by 10am it's drat nice out.

Anyone else been getting out and about?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I sold my car last week, so I've been commuting on the bike. I was pretty happy to be able to wear my summer gear today. It's a little cold in the morning, but by afternoon my ride home will be perfect.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I rode Wednesday and Thursday and it was awesome. Got 500 miles on my bike now and I'm a lot more comfortable on it. My turns still take two lanes though.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
The Lee Parks riding school teaches (and it has worked well for me) is to just "flop" into the turn. Basically, don't try and lean and then lean more, you basically want to drop into your final lean angle in one go. It feels a little wierd until you get used to it, but you can turn in a lot sharper if you do it that way.

oh hey, someone else bothered to put the steps from his book concerning this on the internet, so I'm stealing them(thanks, camera56, whoever the gently caress you are):

"Lee describes ten steps. It feels like a lot to remember when you’re reading it, but with just a bit of practice, it comes naturally.

1. Reposition the foot (get your toes out of the way so you don’t scrape them). On a cruiser, this isn’t important.
2. Pre-position the body. This is where the action is. Get at least your upper body inside the vertical centerline of the bike. If you’re riding a standard or sport bike, get a lot more than that over to the inside (looking at pictures helps right about now).
3. Hold the bike upright by pushing on the outside grip. So if you’re going to go right, your body is off to the right side and you’re now pushing on the left grip.
4. Find your turn point. Most riders don’t do this. They just sort of go around the corner. Instead, you want to pick a place to turn in and wait for it.
5. Look through the turn. This is MSF 101. While doing that, definitely scan your line to make sure you’re not missing anything.
6. Relax the outside grip. I think about “releasing” the outside grip. The feeling is that of the bike dropping into the turn. The first time this happens, it can feel pretty weird. The last thing you want to do right about now is chop the throttle. Maintain some forward thrust please,
7. Push the inside grip. At this point, if you have your weight to the inside, the bike will be heading off in a whole new direction. Now you can see why you want to find and wait for your turn in point. If you need more turning, this is when you add some counter steer. Gently. Sometimes this feels to me like pulling the bike down to me.
8. Roll on the throttle. Roll means be smooth with it. Your bike is still leaned over so you’re splitting traction between turning and going.
9. Push the outside grip. This will pick the bike back up. Keep rolling on the throttle as you do.
10. Move back to neutral. That’s you and your body back in the center of the bike."

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 21, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I feel like the "push on the outside grip to hold the bike straight" thing is really dumb. If you're holding the bike upright, that means you're introducing another input somewhere else. And unless you're really aggressive with your stomping on the pegs, shifting your body on the bike isn't going to change the direction of the bike unless you're inducing a countersteering motion, so it sounds like his entire technique revolves around compensating for a bad habit (unwanted introduction of steering inputs).

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
"Why We Ride", yet another documentary to try and explain the wonders of being on a motorcycle, or some other bullshit, it's cold and there's no active motorcycle racing going on right now. They are trying to show this film in local theaters through "tugg.com" events. I've been to a few events through this site and they do work. As such anyone want to get together and see this?

http://www.tugg.com/events/6910

Why We Ride
Presented by The Twisted Riders
Thursday, January 16 7:30PM - 8:59PM
in Grapevine, TX at AMC Grapevine Mills 30 with Dine-In Theatres $12.00 General

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This event is scheduled in DC on January 26th and a few of us have reserved tickets. Y'all will have to let us know how it is if you end up going.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Skreemer posted:

"Why We Ride", yet another documentary to try and explain the wonders of being on a motorcycle, or some other bullshit, l

I watched the preview, looks like over dramatized bullshit " wah wah wah freedom!" loving freedom, I've been riding over ten years, over mountains, through deserts and I still have no loving idea what they're talking about.

Maybe I should make a documentary about riding. It will be 10 seconds long. "Why we ride? Riding a motorcycle is more fun than driving a car" ::roll credits::

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Hello Dallas goons! I just moved to Waco, and I'm looking for a reliable shop that won't charge me extra for being a girl. Anyone in the area have any recommendations? The bike is a 2005 Honda CBR F4i that I couldn't bear to part with for the move.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Ghost Cactus posted:

Hello Dallas goons! I just moved to Waco, and I'm looking for a reliable shop that won't charge me extra for being a girl. Anyone in the area have any recommendations? The bike is a 2005 Honda CBR F4i that I couldn't bear to part with for the move.

Love to help ya there but most the places here charge even more than the shops I dealt with in Chicago did. Get a service manual and some tools?

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Thanks, that's good to know. :) I've got the manual and tools, and I'll probably just wait till I have the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Ghost Cactus posted:

What shop charges more if you're female?

• Locked thread