Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I rode around McK this afternoon to bed in the new pads a bit more and it sure was nice out--drat near perfect. Tomorrow should be as good or better, and the brakes feel very decent already, so I'll see you at the Pub. I assume I just need to look for people in riding gear or a table with helmets on it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Alceste posted:

I rode around McK this afternoon to bed in the new pads a bit more and it sure was nice out--drat near perfect. Tomorrow should be as good or better, and the brakes feel very decent already, so I'll see you at the Pub. I assume I just need to look for people in riding gear or a table with helmets on it or something.

Fat guy with a British bike would be me. It will be parked at the table with me.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Okay, I've mashed the two routes together.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...6,11,14&t=m&z=9

Unfortunately it looks like the iOS app can't deal with that, and I can't seem to get it to save coherently.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I have to go into work today. Security system failed, so good chance I won't be done in time to ride. :/

Going to be a bad Sunday.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
So how bad was is Padre Scout?

The ride went rather well. No one crashed, everyone looked good and I believe a fun time was had by all.

Can't wait to see some pics and footage Kuffs.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I certainly had a great time. Thanks again for letting me join you all. Looking forward to next time.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Thank you all for coming. I had a blast :D

Here's some pics to tide you over till I review the footage.

I wasn't tired until I got home and took my gear off, then it all hit me.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I found footage of our collective shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYc0SNyc3VU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

I found footage of our collective shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYc0SNyc3VU

It's not like we we're just plodding along either... He was just in a hurry.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

It's not like we we're just plodding along either... He was just in a hurry.

I remember seeing him getting on his bike in a parking lot as we rode past, he was definitely booking it.

Had a good time riding with you guys, thanks for navigating again kuffs.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Skreemer posted:

So how bad was is Padre Scout?

The ride went rather well. No one crashed, everyone looked good and I believe a fun time was had by all.

Can't wait to see some pics and footage Kuffs.

It was a hoot. Apparently they ran a fire drill and that shorted our some .. sub control panel. This caused all our doors to be permanently open. I got to go in, figure this out, then work with the vendor to fix some hardware. So much better than going riding :/

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
That does sound like an awesome time to not be around the office and be somewhere else. You at least get a comp day or overtime pay?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
So, the weather doesn't look all that good next weekend (and I'm booked anyway). But I've been eyeing this route a bit: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/545/Texas/The-Red-River-Cruise.html

It's a shame that it starts in Denton, though.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
That looks like a nearly-all-day trip but if I could get freed up--my next three weekends are booked, myself--I'd be willing to try it. We used to live in Coppell and I'd take 35 to and from Oklahoma to visit my family, and I remember that it's pretty nice up that way, although Denton traffic really sucks.

It would be nice if that route didn't have such a big chunk of 35 in it, like if it came across the lake and back down some of those country roads to the east. I went camping at RRSP last November and the roads we took between McKinney and there would have been good for riding. They were a lot like the route you took us on last week, lots of farms and quick lefts and rights. Sucked in a car though.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah, I'm not really into the big I35 stretch, either. The problem is, replacing that stretch with back roads makes it more like a 6 hour ride. Most folks are already gonna need an hour to get up there and back. Which turns it into an 8 hour day for most - not counting breaks. I think I may go scout the area first and see if it's really worth nearly an entire day.

I've ridden to Sanger from McKinney via Celina and Pilot Point, it's a nice ride on a bike. Seems like it would be a lot nicer from the other direction though, westbound lanes had huuuuge ruts in them.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I think the snow effectively kills any riding plans for at least a few days. (I moved here to get away from this "snow" bullshit)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
This weekend is looking hella promising weather-wise, in spite of what we saw over the weekend and today.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

This weekend is looking hella promising weather-wise, in spite of what we saw over the weekend and today.

I'm for it, maintenance during the week (got oil, got oil filter and air filer, got fluid for the radiator) and I should be set for the weekend.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I will have family visiting from out of town whom I only see a few times a year, so I won't be able to make it, but have fun and ride safe if you go.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Well. I haven't ridden the Striple in a few weeks and the battery went dead. I thought "That's odd. I could leave the BMW like 3 months without the battery going flat." Pulled it out to put it on the tender and top it off, then the weight of the situation hit me. The Triumph battery is loving TINY. Like... 2 6 volt lantern batteries small. I'd say it's 1/3 the size of my BMW's battery.

This does adequately explain why it went flat so quickly.

That said, fuckers on the tneder, it'll be nice and charged for riding tomorrow! I'm going to go by Frisco and get the plates for my new meatball machine I replaced my Miata with and then maybe do motoliberty and the BMW dealer... and possibly run out to Waco, rumor has it my old man is out that way riding, see if I can't meet up with him.

Anyone have big plans for the nice weekend?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

Anyone have big plans for the nice weekend?

Have bike, will travel. Nothing set in stone for me. If no one was going to speak up this weekend I was going to visit Austin. I know a guy that opened a BBQ place down there: http://www.blueoxbarbecue.com/

Other than that I was basically open to whatever this weekend.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm not really sure what I want to do this weekend. I probably ought to spend at least part of a day pulling the rest of the ninja apart. And I shouldn't squander the nice weather we have.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I also forgot to mention there's an old motorcycle parts shop just south of valewood parkway on the west side of the frontage road to 35E. Bates Motorcycle parts. It's not clean, it's kinda cramped, they have a little bit of drat near everything.

Bates Discount Cycle Parts #2
14007 North Stemmons Freeway
Dallas, TX 75234
(972) 620-0929
bates2.net‎

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
So, I was thinking I might do some exploring of Dallas tomorrow. Maybe starting with the crazy-rear end mansions around DNT and Northwest Highway? Possibly including a brief trip to Henderson/Knox for lunch? Maybe some White Rock Lake? I'm a transplant that's only been here nearly 3 years and I pretty much only hang out up in the northeastern parts. Padre, I hear you're somewhere at 635 and DNT?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Skreemer and I are gonna meet at about 10am-ish at Saxby's (Midway and Alpha).

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

kuffs posted:

So, I was thinking I might do some exploring of Dallas tomorrow. Maybe starting with the crazy-rear end mansions around DNT and Northwest Highway? Possibly including a brief trip to Henderson/Knox for lunch? Maybe some White Rock Lake? I'm a transplant that's only been here nearly 3 years and I pretty much only hang out up in the northeastern parts. Padre, I hear you're somewhere at 635 and DNT?

Yeah! I live right in the 365/DNT area. I'm up for riding. My awesome plans just got torpedoed by a user in Estonia's machine going all fraggo. So instead of going out this morning I'm heading to the office to get him a replacement spun up and configured. Gotta have it in London Monday.

So I checked my battery, it's fully charged and ready to go- I'm about to head over to the office and do that thing. Hopefully I'll be done by 10. Might be more like 11. email me at ***redacted***. I'll give ya my phone number and we can try to meet up once I have this taken care of.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 16, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Be careful there is a cop radaring right outside Saxby's.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
OK it was multiple cops and drat were they pulling people over like crazy.

Thanks for the route and suggesting the Gin Mill for lunch, the food was excellent.(superlative)
The route around the lake though confusing and fraught with many stops for no vehicle access was very nice. The scenery of housing, the lake and skyline as well as the people were excellent.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
np yo, that was a whole lot of fun. It was a nice change of pace to just go cruise and take in sights. I'll have to remember that area if I ever end up with a pillion.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
That was loads of fun!!

The part where we got passed by the bicycle was kind of sad. Great food! Great riding! Great company! We should do this again. I'll post up our heroic Whiterock lake picture here shortly.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Here we go. One pic of a goon ride minus me. I'll try and be in the next one.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

You guys started a ride like right outside my house and I was 600 miles away for it. :( You go through Strait lane for the mansions? Also have to go by and wave at Dubya's gate.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Right outside your house? You live in the Saxbys?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I ditched everything today and rode out to Austin. Got to eat brunch at a place owned by a guy I know (Blue Ox mentioned above). I also got to stop off just outside of Waco in West, Texas where there seems to be a high concentration of Czech folks. Got to eat some kolache at exit 353 along I-35 (http://www.czechstop.net/). It wasn't a bad ride, left the house just before 8am and got home about 4pm. Didn't stay anywhere for very long and cruised at higher than posted speeds and was still getting passed. Enjoyable day though.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Owns. I've heard good things about the Czechstop for a while now. How was the wind down south?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
When I got to Austin proper it wasn't too bad. Along 35 between Waco and Austin, it sometimes got a bit interesting.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Hey Gewns! Beware of the 635 access roads east of DNT. I made the mistake of taking my little Volvo down it and now i have loving CONCRETE stuck to the side of my car where, apparently, some rear end in a top hat dispensed concrete dust on the road and the drizzle turned it liquid.

Keep dat poo poo of yo bikez, lads.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Excellent weather for a ride tonight.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

azzenco posted:

Excellent weather for a ride tonight.

Except along 635 between 35E and 75... The traffic is moving along fine, just no one is looking out for anyone else, and the exit ramps are freaking treacherous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone have no plans for Sunday? (supposed to rain part of the weekend anyway) I have an account on the MotoGP site and will kick in for food/beer if someone hosts a few hours of racing. The GP race itself is on the 23rd at 1400 local time.

• Locked thread