Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well, I'll bring the bike to work tonight, someone tell me in the morning where we'll meet up and I'll just tag along. (Meet at motoliberty?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm down for doing NW Dallas. I know we were looking at some kind of loop near Denton last time we were trying to plan something.

Grapevine lake seems a little promising. Might be better now that it's springtime and things are starting to grow. I've done the lower part of Lewisville lake in the fall and it was fine, but not amazing. Might be better with more greenery.

Let's plan to be at Motoliberty when the event starts: 10am.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
10 am it is! See you gents there.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm going to be a bit late (20 - 30 minutes at the most)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Skreemer what happen?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Ugh, there was some kind of accident *just* as I was getting off of DNT to George Bush. Spent a good 15 minutes in gridlock while emergency crews got people sorted.

I had a great time with you dudes. Hopefully I can get my house sorted well enough that we can do MotoGP at my place next weekend.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
GREAT RIDE!!!!!

Aside from an elder gentleman trying to run over Screemer, a silver car trying to run over Kuffs, and a blue VW trying to rear-end me ... a super pleasant ride!

We need more Goons to share in our rides and experience the bliss that is small group bullshit-arounds.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Need more details. How good of a rider do you need to be to join this crew? I'm in my first year and have about 800 miles of slow riding experience.

Today has been absolutely gorgeous.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

azzenco posted:

Need more details. How good of a rider do you need to be to join this crew? I'm in my first year and have about 800 miles of slow riding experience.

I'm a terrible rider you'll be fine, though half the time I show up and can't actually go on the ride cause I have other commitments. (These two things may be related.)

Nice to see you guys again btw, picked up an RS Taichi 826 jacket for 15% off, good times finding eggs.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

azzenco posted:

You don't need to be very good. Today's was a good example, it was mostly two or more lane sweepers and wandering about. Probably going out on a trek like today's would have been great practice. Lots of mixed riding, and some experienced folks to help out of something goes wrong.

Keep watch here or suggest a route, get out and about some.

drat nice little ride. Smoked Gouda cheese sticks, drat tasty non-ring onion rings, pleasant day, good company and a small tour of an independent shop out near nowhere.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

azzenco posted:

How "good"?

I'd go with: can you stop and start and turn without falling over? Are you comfortable traveling at highway speeds on the highways (briefly, we try to stay off them as much as possible)?

If you said yes to those then welcome aboard!

If you said no... come anyway. We'll figure out some riding we can do that'll help you learn to do those things.

We're mixed skill. Nobody is out to impress anyone, we are more concerned with everyone getting there than anyone being a bad-rear end. We just ride along, as fast as comfortable- don't feel pressured to go real fast- the best part about riding for fun is .. if you ride a little slower, the fun last longer!

The "theme" of todays ride was basically "Hey, we haven't ridden the lakes in NW DFW, so lets do that!" So we did. We also ate hamburgers. It was pretty amazing.

So yeah, if you wanna come we tend to get a couple rides a month in, or so it had been going so far. Like Skreemer said- just watch this thread and you're more than welcome to come out next time if you want. Or if you wake-up some morning and want some company for a ride, just post up. Anyone that's available will chime in. I'd personally like to group ride more than I do and it's not like "everyone" has to come on every ride, I've missed a couple. So consider us ... available riding buddies.

"Nobody is out to impress anyone," well, Skreemer is. He did a patriotic tribute to the continental 48 states in the form of a 90 MPH rolling stoppie while standing on the seat of his Bandit that truly moved me. He was draped in an american flag, clenching a rose in his teeth. When he saluted me and that bald-eagle landed on his shoulder .. I nearly cried. Truly inspirational.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 20, 2014

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Cool I ride on 183/114 but not too often. I still ain't used to crosswinds. I'll try to link up at the next one if it isn't too far away.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

"Nobody is out to impress anyone," well, Skreemer is. He did a patriotic tribute to the continental 48 states in the form of a 90 MPH rolling stoppie while standing on the seat of his Bandit that truly moved me. He was draped in an american flag, clenching a rose in his teeth. When he saluted me and that bald-eagle landed on his shoulder .. I nearly cried. Truly inspirational.

drat straight, though I may need to fire the eagle, it get spooked when I bring the rear tire down and digs his talons into my shoulder. It's just not as freedom loving as I am. (and it was a yellow rose, I had to set aside a small portion of the tribute to Texas itself)

azzenco posted:

Cool I ride on 183/114 but not too often. I still ain't used to crosswinds. I'll try to link up at the next one if it isn't too far away.

If you ride that corridor (through Irving I think), you should do fine on any of the highways we ride on. If you don't want to wait for the less patriotic riders I'm in Southlake and am off the clock from Saturday until Tuesday.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
My Sena arrives today so me and kuffs can talk on rides! BFF SENA BUDDIES!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
2 things.

Saturday there's a small bike show/swap meet in Plano. Anyone want to go have a look?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mpo/4429457831.html

Sunday, there's been mention of hosting a MotoGP afternoon? Give me a place and I'll lend my video pass for the afternoon. The Moto3 race starts at 11:10, the Main GP at 13:05... I'm free all afternoon. (we can watch the races at any time those are just the official start times.)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I just got FIOS installed at my new place and will be spending Saturday getting moved in.

Let's do my new place.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

I just got FIOS installed at my new place and will be spending Saturday getting moved in.

Let's do my new place.

My house is available too if you don't get all the way moved in, I'm up for whatever though already planned to be free on Sunday for this.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
nevermind

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 26, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Send me/us an address to gather at tomorrow. Email is "SA username" at gmail dot com.

I ended up going to the Show. It was pretty small but had some interesting bikes. Early 80's Hans Muth designed Katana, 1974 Ducati, a bunch of 60's and 70's trail/enduro bikes, a Matchless, and a some other stuff.

Afterwards I found a Bavarian restaurant and had some drat good rouladen.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Finished moving. Will be ready tomorrow.. Please pm me or send an email to "the <my username>" at the gee mails. Let's do noon so I can be sure to be ready.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Well that was a buzzy ride home but otherwise uneventful. Now to shop around for some rearsets.

Had fun watching motogp with you guys, should do it again for Spain.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Moto3 was plenty drat exciting, moto2 was unusually boring, and the first half dozen laps of the GP was way better than it usually is.

Thanks again Kuffs for hosting.

M. Night Skymall, let us know what rearsets you go with.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

M. Night Skymall, let us know what rearsets you go with.

I went with super cheap Chinese ones by Danmoto. :v: I suspect they'll suck but whatever, if it's awful I'll get some vortex ones and I can have those for a backup. My bike's shifting is definitely compromised though so anything's bound to be an improvement at this point. I put the shifter I had on there prior to the broken one but it has its own issues, and it's uh..ziptied to the frame cause missing bolts. It fell off when I went for a test ride after swapping it out and nothing really bad happened other than not being able to shift, so with the added zipties I'm not really concerned it's going to come off under regular use, but definitely excited about my new rearsets getting here and having a bike with a few less missing bolts.

My friend picked up a 2011 R6 with 900 miles on it from craigslist. He's a squid though(says the man with his shifter ziptied to his bike), went to meet him today to see it and he showed up in shorts/t-shirt and a helmet with his GF on the back with no gear at all. Looks to be pretty comfortable on a bike though. It's odd cause when I bought my jacket he picked up some 700 dollar Dainese jacket, he had to order it though so maybe it isn't here yet. And he has an Arai helmet, squids are weird spread some of that money around to your other body parts man. :downs:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
So Gran Premio bwin de Espaņa this weekend? The race is at 7am our time, so any time during the day would work.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm gonna be in Austin to support one of my friends running with PCA

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

My time period for riding around on my full UK motorcycle license over here is up so I need to do the tests. Do you guys have any personal recommendations on where to do my MSF? (Or... does it / the experience even vary between test centers?) I'm based in Arlington.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sock Weasel posted:

My time period for riding around on my full UK motorcycle license over here is up so I need to do the tests. Do you guys have any personal recommendations on where to do my MSF? (Or... does it / the experience even vary between test centers?) I'm based in Arlington.

I took mine here: http://www.txmt.org/ and it seemed fine. My wife is doing hers here: http://www.texasmtc.com/ this weekend so I guess I could report on that later. Honestly if you already know how to ride a motorcycle it should be pretty trivial. I didn't know how to ride a motorcycle at all going in and it was still pretty easy. The only thing I'd say is make sure you study the DMV booklet (after the MSF) because the knowledge test at the DMV is weird and bizarrely specific about some things.

I'd just go for whoever has a location near you and a spot available when you want to go. Or do the Harley one because I bet that'd be funny. They're all around the same price too as far as I can tell. I think motoliberty has a 20 dollar off thing from one of the places if you grab a brochure and say you got it at motoliberty.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Sock Weasel posted:

The MSF is a national curriculum and doesn't vary from state to state at all unless there's a specific requirement from the state, for example in Wisconsin because they like their drinking and driving so much I had to give a whole hour state specific "don't drink and ride" module. From what I recall you're more than competent/confident on a bike and don't "need" the MSF courses though they are great for refresher/confidence booster if you want to get more time in practicing "parking lot maneuvers".

If you take the test at a Harley dealer, it's no different than taking it from an MSF site. The "rider's edge" instructors go through the MSF course first and then is trained by Harley to sell bikes, usually sometime during class there's a tour of the local dealership and an introduction to their full array of products.

Another option is to just take the test at the DMV. It's similar to the MSF test in that it's mainly a parking lot maneuver test.

As an MSF instructor, if it's easier/cheaper for you to go through the DMV test and you just want another opinion on if you can pass the skills portion, I do have access to an MSF range in Southlake and can run you through a quick course/practice test. (Warning this would not be official and I am not licensed to instruct in Texas, I am only licensed to instruct in Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin.)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Far as I know Texas doesn't offer a practical exam at the DMV. You have to take the MSF course and then a knowledge test at the DMV to get your endorsement.

There were a bunch of guys who clearly needed no instruction in my class just taking it to get licensed.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Yeah, I e-mailed the DMV a few days ago asking what the hell to do with my UK license now and they replied telling me - complete with spelling errors - "To apply for a motorcycle license, you must first complete a motorcycle safety course approve by the motorcycle safety foundation. A complete list of certified locations is available on website, https://www.dps.texas.gov or by clicking here. After you complete the course, you will need to visit a driver license office and present your certificate of completion for the course, and you will be required to take a motorcycle rules written test and pay $16 fee." It does seem to be that I need to take the full course at an approved place. In that case then I'll just find one which has openings once I get my residency card through. :) That said - an unofficial run through at Southlake would have been hugely helpful and very much appreciated if I could have gone directly through the DMV. Thanks for the offer!

I think a Harley dealership would raise an eyebrow if I turned up for their course on my Ninja... but that is tempting. :v:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Sock Weasel posted:

Yeah, I e-mailed the DMV a few days ago asking what the hell to do with my UK license now and they replied telling me - complete with spelling errors - "To apply for a motorcycle license, you must first complete a motorcycle safety course approve by the motorcycle safety foundation. A complete list of certified locations is available on website, https://www.dps.texas.gov or by clicking here. After you complete the course, you will need to visit a driver license office and present your certificate of completion for the course, and you will be required to take a motorcycle rules written test and pay $16 fee." It does seem to be that I need to take the full course at an approved place. In that case then I'll just find one which has openings once I get my residency card through. :) That said - an unofficial run through at Southlake would have been hugely helpful and very much appreciated if I could have gone directly through the DMV. Thanks for the offer!

I think a Harley dealership would raise an eyebrow if I turned up for their course on my Ninja... but that is tempting. :v:

Hmm thanks for the note on the DMV/licensing. The three states i instructed for it was an either/or deal. Most folks opted for the MSF because the DMV only ran motorcycle testing once a week for 3 hours (it was almost impossible to get a test reservation through the DMV)

Of all things the bikes they use for instruction at the Harley dealers are Buell Blasts, a bike that hasn't been available for sale since 2009.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sock Weasel posted:

Whatever MSF course you do supplies the bike, which is why I think Harley'd be amusing. Less so on a Buell Blast though.

Skreemer posted:

Hmm thanks for the note on the DMV/licensing. The three states i instructed for it was an either/or deal. Most folks opted for the MSF because the DMV only ran motorcycle testing once a week for 3 hours (it was almost impossible to get a test reservation through the DMV)

Of all things the bikes they use for instruction at the Harley dealers are Buell Blasts, a bike that hasn't been available for sale since 2009.

They're changing to the street 500 whenever that comes out, which should be a little less absurd, and available for purchase. I assumed they were doing it on the sportsters or something currently but I guess getting people to learn on some 900 CC cruiser is silly even for Harley.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone need a cheap and dead easy to work on starter bike?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/4454304906.html

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
So... LeMans GP this weekend?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm checking to see if I have plans already. I'm down if not.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yep I'm free. Wanna do noon at my place again?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Yep I'm free. Wanna do noon at my place again?

I'm free as well, noon is fine with me.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Works for me, see ya'll there (trying to learn to be texan or something)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

A network engineer on a DRZ400 is possibly the gooniest motorcycle rider of all time that guy should be on here.

Good times watching MotoGP as always, we still going to try to organize a group ride for next weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

M. Night Skymall posted:

A network engineer on a DRZ400 is possibly the gooniest motorcycle rider of all time that guy should be on here.

Good times watching MotoGP as always, we still going to try to organize a group ride for next weekend?

The ride home was entertaining with the car carrier not knowing which exit to take.

• Locked thread