Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'd like to ride! It's a riding day!

--- and like clockwork work calls. Maybe tomorrow.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I had to basically emergency install a new tire on my ride. It was getting pretty flat, nearly cupped. F800riders.org apparently hates the stock tires and I'm an outlier for even coaxing 5500 miles out of them.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

I had to basically emergency install a new tire on my ride. It was getting pretty flat, nearly cupped. F800riders.org apparently hates the stock tires and I'm an outlier for even coaxing 5500 miles out of them.

What tires did you go with?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I only bought a rear, front isn't due for a while. I ended up with a Pirelli Angel GT. Reports of really good grip and about 11k miles on my bike.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Anyone wanna name a meetup place? Special requests for routes?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Anyone wanna name a meetup place? Special requests for routes?

Doesn't really matter to me where we meet, I'd be up for going out towards glen rose again if there're canyons there somewhere. Was pretty fun last time.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
About the same for me, post a time and where and I'll show up.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
As a warning, if we do FM4 it may be a bit of a trek. It starts in Jacksboro

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

As a warning, if we do FM4 it may be a bit of a trek. It starts in Jacksboro

Is it this one? https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33....1!4e1!3e0?hl=en

That doesn't look so bad as it loops back towards Dallas. Should be a similar number of miles to what we did last week.

I got a chin mount for my GoPro so hopefully can get it to work.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
That looks about right. We should probably meet in grapevine or Fort Worth. Maybe a donut shop or something?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Skreemer, you're usually off at 10am, right?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Let's meet at the Dunkin donuts at Alpha and Preston. 10:30am sound good?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Let's meet at the Dunkin donuts at Alpha and Preston. 10:30am sound good?

Works for me, see you then.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
OK Dallas goons, talk me back into street riding. I quit a couple of months after moving here from the Bay Area, partially due to money, partially due to the lack of mountain roads. But mainly because I would get about 12 tickets for lane splitting on the way home from picking up my next bike.

A work friend has a Goldwing that he rides...um...aggressively, and he keeps trying to talk me into street riding again. Which I do miss. And lately, track riding only just doesn't give me the fix I need. So tell me there are places to ride in the Dallas area without just wearing out the center of the tire.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I really wish I could go tomorrow but I committed that time to the family already, and I'm not getting let out of it. What you're planning sounds fun and I have been trying to ride more lately but I can't make it work this time.

I am putting in a reservation for the next ride now though. There's not much decent weather left.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Well, we're going to go check out FM4 tomorrow. (The route that M Night Skymall linked.) I'm sure it won't be as amazing as the mountains of California, but it features actual twisties and some pretty fantastic scenery. You're welcome to come along if you want.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Made it home good ride decent roads. Someone post video/pictures.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Shiiit, totally forgot to take the obligatory group shots.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Made it home good ride decent roads. Someone post video/pictures.

Certainly, here're some pictures I have of you making a legal pass while obeying all posted speed limits: http://imgur.com/a/oka7L Pictures taken .5s apart.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

M. Night Skymall posted:

Certainly, here're some pictures I have of you making a legal pass while obeying all posted speed limits: http://imgur.com/a/oka7L Pictures taken .5s apart.

drat I was moving along at a rather good pace at that point. No idea why but that series made me laugh quite a bit.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
You guys wanna try an Austin ride sometime? Since Skreemer doesn't work Sundays we have the potential to roll out here at like 7~8am and make it down to Austin by 11ish. Might be pretty fun to roll some *actual* hills and twisties.

edit: not pictured in either of those: me

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

You guys wanna try an Austin ride sometime? Since Skreemer doesn't work Sundays we have the potential to roll out here at like 7~8am and make it down to Austin by 11ish. Might be pretty fun to roll some *actual* hills and twisties.

I'm all for an Austin run... You weren't pictured because you were that far ahead...

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

That one was relatively easy to find, as it turns out mining 4000 pictures that mostly consist of my bike and some straight road for interesting shots is a little rough. Looks like I need to see what I can do to angle the camera more up. Though to be fair I think it'd just work better if I didn't have a windscreen. I think it'll be great for trackdays and stuff. I did take some video and it turned out fine but equally boring.

I'm tentatively up for an Austin run, I've done it plenty of times before where we leave at like 5am and then rock climb all day and drive home at night and it's pretty brutal. Not having to rock climb when we get there should make it a little easier but it's still 350-400 miles of commuting + whatever riding we do when we get there in a day.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
M. Night Skymall, there's a US-10 for sale in this guy's thread for $65 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=982666

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
That photo set is hilarious. I love the blacked out speedometer and the prominent solid yellow "don't pass here" line. So FM4 was fun? Will you be going back?

I had a great time riding about 30 miles from my house to Frisco and back to meet some friends for lunch. I stopped for gas on the way for an added touch of excitement and danger :(

I declared last night that I'm going on the next group ride that occurs while we're in town, plus my wife decided she needs to go to the George Strait concert next Saturday, so it seems totally reasonable now for me to spend an entire Sunday riding to/around/from Austin and collapsing in exhaustion the minute I walk back in the door. I've been thinking about riding in Hill Country since I got my first bike and haven't done it yet; my only long ride, ever, was to Tulsa and back and I wouldn't recommend that route to anyone.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

That photo set is hilarious. I love the blacked out speedometer and the prominent solid yellow "don't pass here" line. So FM4 was fun? Will you be going back?

I had a great time riding about 30 miles from my house to Frisco and back to meet some friends for lunch. I stopped for gas on the way for an added touch of excitement and danger :(

I declared last night that I'm going on the next group ride that occurs while we're in town, plus my wife decided she needs to go to the George Strait concert next Saturday, so it seems totally reasonable now for me to spend an entire Sunday riding to/around/from Austin and collapsing in exhaustion the minute I walk back in the door. I've been thinking about riding in Hill Country since I got my first bike and haven't done it yet; my only long ride, ever, was to Tulsa and back and I wouldn't recommend that route to anyone.

I think we have to go on Sunday in order for Skreemer to make it. Aren't you out in Mckinney? We should do OK instead. All of us are north Dallas(Except Skreemer) which ends up adding a lot of worthless miles on interstates to get to Austin, and I think a lot of the good riding near Austin is actually south or west of it which adds even more miles. I think it'll be at least 250 for most of us before we get into interesting hill country territory. I'd like to ride here instead:

If we're starting in Mckinney, we can be near the start of that ride in 120 170 (The last 50 miles are pretty mountainous which threw me off but I guess technically it's 170 to the actual bypass) miles. I was going to recommend the Wichita mountain wildlife refuge but it turns out Mckinney's further east than I thought and it's not very close. The Talimena National Scenic Byway however is relatively close.

Round trip, where we basically ride the byway out and back is ~500 miles with around 230 of it being primarily hilly curvy roads, so we'd still have to get started pretty early and make good time out to OK, but I think it'll be better riding than Austin for us. This is the route I was thinking. We can save 60 miles round trip if we skip the jog over to 271, I have no idea if that's worth it or not but it certainly looks hilly on the map. Some googling has it show up on recommended motorcycling routes so probably worth the trouble, can always just skip it on the way back if it's getting late.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I like that option as it's bound to be cooler than any trek down to Austin. Plus, Skreemer doesn't seem to be too afraid of miles so he should be down. Bonus being that it will perfectly put my bike at its intended maintenance interval.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I am in McKinney, yeah. Also I would only be free on Sunday since I have to watch the kids while their mom is getting in touch with her redneck roots at the concert. I am fully domesticated and boring.

So, all of this sounds good to me. When I have to go to OK it's almost always to Tulsa and back, or going east from there on 44 into Missouri, and all of those roads are boring as poo poo. It would be nice to see a part of the state that's pretty and interesting.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I rode the Talimena a few years ago. That's a drat nice ride.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Are we trying to book this for the 8th then?

I think that getting out to 271 can't be any worse than our trek out to Jacksboro yesterday. I'd like to see a different route back if everyone is cool with that.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Are we trying to book this for the 8th then?

I think that getting out to 271 can't be any worse than our trek out to Jacksboro yesterday. I'd like to see a different route back if everyone is cool with that.

After we hit Mena we could go back up the byway and then cut down 259 towards Idabel, OK, and then follow whatever back to Dallas.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm down with that. Plenty of options for optimizing for speed (I-30) or entertainment via the backroads.

I'm pretty excited, I haven't actually been that far east in Texas.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm in for the 8th but it would be helpful to know how early you all would want to meet. My wife has to make it all the way back here from Arlington late on Saturday night, and if I have to leave real early Sunday morning I might have to make some arrangements.

I'm pretty excited too--I've been riding for 2.5 years now, and I haven't done any touring at all yet, which is what I'm considering this to be. I've been that far east in TX a few times and I thought it was really scenic and nice, but it was also further south (Gilmer, i.e. Barnwell Mountain Rec Area) and I was in my truck, wishing I was on the bike.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I think something like 8am is probably key. It will take us about 5~5.5 hours (including gas / breaks) to get to the end of the trail. Figure on 1.5 hours for lunch. And figure about 5~5.5 hours getting back. That would put us back in McKinney at about 8:30PM at the worst.

kuffs fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 3, 2014

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Looks like slight chance of rain in the evening. So don't forget your rain gear or prepare to be a bit wet getting home. Remember snacks, water, tools (there will probably be a few of us with kits), and a microfiber cloth for your glasses / visor. Sunscreen for your neck and face is likely necessary. Make sure your tires are running at the right pressure and your suspension preload is right for the luggage you're carrying.

Can we actually get some RSVPs for this? I don't have everyone's number.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm in.

Any suggestions for cheap rain gear that can be bought locally? I can't afford anything like the suit you've got and all my summer gear has holes/mesh in it. I have windproof winter gear but nothing waterproof. That trip to Tulsa I mentioned, the entire return leg was in the rain, and I promised myself that I'd get rain gear before my next long trip. I just didn't expect it to be this soon.

Do you guys use Camelbaks or anything to stay hydrated on the bike or is that overkill while it's still less than 100 out?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I have a Rev'it rain jacket and rain pants that were less than $80 I think at Moto Liberty. You should also consider textured dishwashing gloves (to go over your regular gloves) if you don't have a set of rain gloves. Boots are a little less important, but still nice. Frogg Toggs makes overboots that lots of people like.

I have a hydration bladder that goes in my backpack, but I don't think I want to wear it. I think I'd be better off with more cooling on my back.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I'm in, the rain actually didn't bother me too much last time other than visibility, dried out really fast. Definitely going to Rain-X my visor though. I'd read somewhere that you weren't supposed to do it but the manufacturer's website says it's fine so boo random internet forums.

We don't usually go much more than an hour without stopping and usually just drink then, buy water/sportdrink at gas stations along the way or bring a bunch of bottles. My bike isn't going more than about 2 hours at our pace without gas anyway.

I think we should be on the road by around 8am from Mckinney if at all possible. I'd like to err on the side of having more than enough time to get back on a large road before it's dark. Google puts me at 536 miles including the jog to/from mckinney(35m each way for me) and about 10 hours of non-stop riding.

I've driven out through east Texas far too many times commuting to/from TN for school, but driving up/down I-30 in a loaded up honda civic doesn't really give you much to appreciate. I would prefer it if we could avoid having to go all the way down and take I-30 in though because I'm 100% sure it is not exciting.

Also if anyone wants to pick anything up, Motoliberty is having a sale/music/food thing from 1-4pm on Saturday. I'm going to be out there picking up some new gloves and trying to convince my wife to finish her gear collection so she can actually get on a motorcycle. There's some resistance.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Since I'm not going to be doing anything but riding that day, and it doesn't matter what happens to my clothes underneath, maybe I'll just deal with the rain (if there is any) in my regular gear. The main thing that bothered me last time was being cold--being wet wasn't that bad on its own. The bike handled fine.

I like the glove idea though, if I can find any big enough to fit over my already big regular gloves. I have a new set of A* SP2 gloves that are just now getting broken in, and I like them but they seem huge.

If we're breaking roughly hourly then I will probably forego the camelbak and just pack some bottles in my tank bag. I've got the full factory toolkit under the passenger seat and I have a tire plug kit with a CO2 inflator but I'm not sure what else would be needed, hardware-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Agreed, leaving McKinney by 8am is the right idea. We should probably meet at a gas station to get that part of things out of the way too.

Also my offer stands that I'd be happy to put the fairing back on my ninja for someone to ride. I don't know that it will do for such a long ride as Mena without some further sussing out, but any of our other routes should be fine.

• Locked thread