Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Holy poo poo. That Saxby's by my house closed.

What will Padre do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
This rain and cold weather can suck it. I needed some fair weather for a shakedown ride before the races this coming weekend.

Guess I may have to go get a new set of Frog Toggs.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm off in about an hour. Looks like I will be at T15 as well- so maybe we'll run into each other! Ride safe and enjoy the races, gents!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Skreemer posted:

How was your ride back Padre Scout? I got up early to get out and it started pouring out. Then came the hail and lightning and all. I said "Screw this." and waited until almost noon before I got on the road. Once I got on the highway I thought I was going to get blown off the back of the bike. The headwind was crazy, I was actually losing 4 - 5 MPG on the bike fighting the wind.

I blew out on Sunday. Our seats were loving terrible, so me and the old man decided that we'd do better next year and get the gently caress out of Dodge while the getting was good.

To which end I got caught in a pretty severe storm in Waxahachie for an hour or two. Time kind of gets weird when you're soaked to the bone and standing around a little gas station with an attendant that doesn't speak English. But After the initial monsoon I managed to haul rear end up a gap in the clouds and made it back home without any more life threatening weather events.

Did inspire me to get a new helmet. Mine would spit water through the face vents onto my glasses and the inside of the visor. It got ugly there for a while, but I finally got it sorted with the visor just cracked open a hair - that way nothing fogged up but my glasses stayed dryish.

Rain stings like a motherfucker at 75 though.

I decided I'm meant to run around tracks though, so I'm currently blowing my polestar mapping money I've been saving for the meatball machine on new track compliant gauntlets (Held Phantoms) and a new lid ( Arai Signet Q). I'm hoping to make the Eagle Canyon RideSmart session here in June. Should be a hoot.

edit: gently caress! Also should have dragged you over to the parking lot to hear the Triumphs new pipes. I'm pretty happy with them.

extra edit: Who was the woman with you? New girlfriend?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Skreemer posted:

What didn't you like about your seats? Where I was I could see the whole cornering complex on our end, though I wish I was about 10 or so rows higher so I could get pictures over the fence instead of through it.

Ha god no, that was my cousin. She's interested in bikes and racing but is a poor college student. With some of the things she's been through I try to help her out when I'm able to.

You're close by, let's get another ride going.

Our seats were in Row 1. loving worst seats ever, couldn't see guys coming in from the straight, just saw them after the first left and then two turns where you had to head track the poo poo out of them to even keep up. Felt like I was shaking me head "no" for 45 minutes during qualifying.

Super crap seats.

Yeah! We should ride some. Riding is awesome!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Motoliberty is having another shindig. I am compelled to go and see if I can find anything to spend my money on. One day I'm going to find a pair of city riding boots that fit right.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Yeah! I'd like to go for a ride. I kind of want to check out lakes. I don't think we've done NW DFW area yet, wanna try that?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
10 am it is! See you gents there.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
GREAT RIDE!!!!!

Aside from an elder gentleman trying to run over Screemer, a silver car trying to run over Kuffs, and a blue VW trying to rear-end me ... a super pleasant ride!

We need more Goons to share in our rides and experience the bliss that is small group bullshit-arounds.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

azzenco posted:

Need more details. How good of a rider do you need to be to join this crew? I'm in my first year and have about 800 miles of slow riding experience.

Today has been absolutely gorgeous.

How "good"?

I'd go with: can you stop and start and turn without falling over? Are you comfortable traveling at highway speeds on the highways (briefly, we try to stay off them as much as possible)?

If you said yes to those then welcome aboard!

If you said no... come anyway. We'll figure out some riding we can do that'll help you learn to do those things.

We're mixed skill. Nobody is out to impress anyone, we are more concerned with everyone getting there than anyone being a bad-rear end. We just ride along, as fast as comfortable- don't feel pressured to go real fast- the best part about riding for fun is .. if you ride a little slower, the fun last longer!

The "theme" of todays ride was basically "Hey, we haven't ridden the lakes in NW DFW, so lets do that!" So we did. We also ate hamburgers. It was pretty amazing.

So yeah, if you wanna come we tend to get a couple rides a month in, or so it had been going so far. Like Skreemer said- just watch this thread and you're more than welcome to come out next time if you want. Or if you wake-up some morning and want some company for a ride, just post up. Anyone that's available will chime in. I'd personally like to group ride more than I do and it's not like "everyone" has to come on every ride, I've missed a couple. So consider us ... available riding buddies.

"Nobody is out to impress anyone," well, Skreemer is. He did a patriotic tribute to the continental 48 states in the form of a 90 MPH rolling stoppie while standing on the seat of his Bandit that truly moved me. He was draped in an american flag, clenching a rose in his teeth. When he saluted me and that bald-eagle landed on his shoulder .. I nearly cried. Truly inspirational.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 20, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
My Sena arrives today so me and kuffs can talk on rides! BFF SENA BUDDIES!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
nevermind

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 26, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm up for a ride next weekend.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Spankydoodle posted:

Hello Dallas riders! I am moving cross country to Dallas this weekend and hope join the ranks once I've settled in and purchased a bike down there and become comfortable with it. I just completed the MSF last weekend and I've been looking on Craigslist for an SV650. I don't know anyone in Texas besides a few friends that live in Austin, would it be possible to persuade one of you to look at bikes with me for road worthiness? I can compensate you.

I'm no SV650 expert, but I know having a critical set of eyes can help, someone not emotionally invested in the getting of a new machine- so I can help as far as that.

edit: and I don't think I can ride Saturday. I'm having appliances delivered. So I have to be home for that.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 20, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
The Buddhist temple thing in Dallas is having a Thai food/culture event Saturday and Sunday! I probably won't get to go anywhere Saturday due to poo poo getting installed at my place- but Sunday I should be free. Anyone want to get out early-ish and check it out?

http://thaifestdallas.com/

Come on!! It looks awesome!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

kuffs posted:

Revolver brewing tours are only open on Saturdays. I'd be happy to shift that destination to the 31st if it meant more people could come.

My only concern about riding this Sunday is the threat of inclement weather. Forecasters can't seem to decide if it's gonna rain Sunday or Monday. I have wet weather gear, I just don't know about the rest of you.

Man, I want to get out Saturday. I wish they would narrow the loving delivery window from "between 7 am and 7 pm" so I could make plans to get out of the house.

I have never done a brewery tour and that sounds awesome.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 22, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
These guys still havent turned up. Talk about a wasted day.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I have a Sena too! Sena conference for everyone!!!

loving dudes finally showed up and now I am the proud owner of major appliances. A most auspicious day.

Hopefully I can make the next ride.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

kuffs posted:

Actually, I could see fine. I don't know if my visor has a special treatment or what, but water beads off of it pretty easily. And I have a wiper on my wet weather gloves.

Pin locks are the shiz-nat.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
That sounds awesome. I'd like to ride some canyons.

Also, hey Kuffs, whatd you do for the neck curtian on your Signet when mounted the Sena?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'd like to ride! It's a riding day!

--- and like clockwork work calls. Maybe tomorrow.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 31, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I rode the Talimena a few years ago. That's a drat nice ride.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
According to the Hurt Report loud pipes do NOT save lives.

They sound pretty bitching though.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
More people to ride with is bad-rear end. Hopefully I'll make the next ride. Oklahoma?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I've met LOTS of people who ADORE THE gently caress out of FJRs. It's on my short list of machines I've met .. countless people who own and never heard them say anything bad about.

That said, my 64 year old father is thinking about going from a '99 GS to a FJR. I'm not sure he will ever pull the trigger though, he loving loves his GS.

...I don't have to have a point.

You should be a Street Triple. They're great for touring if you don't mind not bringing your stuff with you. I tried bagging mine and it was miserable, then last trip I just brought a couple shirts and a change of pants. I bought all my toiletries, white clothes, and such at Wal-Mart for single use. Cost me about 30 bucks and I managed a 4 day ride out of a backpack. Best. Idea. Evuh!

So, yeah, STRIPLE!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
we doing a maintenance day? The striple needs a chain cleaning!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
redacted

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 22, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Hmmm, rain changes things somewhat. Unless the weather breaks I believe I will just stay in today.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm up for a ride that's not to Oklahoma.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
IS FM4 that one that runs N/S up by Bonham and Whitewright?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
me too

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I want to ride! I've missed the last 3 or 4 and I need to get some miles on my machine.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
A downtown ride sounds kind of awesome.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Fun! I'm up for checking out a gaming conversion.

Also the Motoliberty events are always fun. Last time they had that coffee place with the crazy Ape .....scooter..... bus ...thing. So I'll definitely be going there as well.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
All I know about downtown is there's reputed to be some good Mexican food there.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Motoliberty event is on Saturday, I believe.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'd like to ride earlier in the day myself, but we will be hard pressed to kill 6 hours downtown while waiting for the good discounts at motoliberty.

EDIT: Speaking of motoliberty. I went with a coworker to help him pick out gear. I tried on some Sidi streetburners. loving badass boots. I believe I will be getting a pair.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 12, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I heart colaches at 10. CHECK! See you guys there.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Riding more than once in a week?

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I also wired my helmet! I kind of hosed the curtain all up before I discovered you have to remove the cheek pieces first, but I think it will be alright. Im charging the Sena back up so I can test it. I'm pretty excited.

• Locked thread