Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Unless you want to group ride in circles around my neighborhood I'm not quite up for anything yet, but once I get some more miles in and have some actual confidence on my bike I'd love to do something. I don't have any friends with bikes in Dallas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Moto Liberty is doing a big sale / party tomorrow. Anyone gonna go check it out? I've not done a whole lot of shopping for gear around Dallas, but I was really impressed by their selection.

full disclosure: I'm a customer, bought all of my riding gear from them.

That's like a mile from my house, probably stop by to take a look.

Now that I'm finally confident enough to take my motorcycle into traffic can anyone recommend a ride or something? Imagine I were starting from that motoliberty place.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

This is what happens when you ride with goons

Fortunately you have some kind of Super Fancy bike where all your parts are firmly attached and people come tow you when you get a flat tire :v:. Had a great time riding today man, sorry about the tire.

BTW, I just now noticed that what happened to my shift lever. The PO sheared the original peg/bolt, and rather than getting a new lever/peg combo, elected to drill a new hole that isn't really flush with the lever and install a peg into that. Why would you do that. A gear shift lever is 15 dollars come on. Oh well, new one on the way.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

It would have been really swank if I actually got a tow. I waited for an hour for the agent to call me back after they arranged everything. Ended up calling in to cancel, and happened to get the agent sitting next to the one I had talked to previously. Apparently an hours worth of effort and she couldn't find anyone that could tow the bike in the area. Gal was in the middle of calling the local PD to see if they had any ideas.

My brother showed up about a half hour after that. He and I went and got a plug kit, plugged it, and rode it home without issue. The tire kept a steady 40psi the entire ride home. (I loving love TPMS)

Pulled this out of the tire

Oh, poo poo. Wish I'd stayed I could have run somewhere and got a patch kit or something. :( Glad you made it back OK. Pretty lovely on BMW's part, although bumblefuck Texas on a sunday afternoon is not really the best place to get a tow. Can you prorate the tire?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I saved the directions for it. Not sure if I can make it out this sunday though.

ETA:
I also have the turn by turn they had because I seem to remember the google maps not being the same.
The route can start in Pilot Point - off hwy 377 or Celina - off hwy 289 (both north of DFW).
Head East on 455 until you reach HWY 75.
Turn southbound on the service road and follow it until you come to the end. This road will be County Road 275.
Cross over the bridge and you will land onto hwy 5 which turns in McDonald street.
Turn South and follow the road through the East side of McKinney, TX.
Make a left on Industrial Blvd. Follow until you reach South airport drive which turns into hwy 546. It will run into a stop sign and keep left on hwy 546.
Turn onto FM 982. You will run into hwy 380.
Make a right on hwy 380 and then an immediate left onto North 4th street. At stop sign make a right onto North 6th street which will dead end onto FM 1377, go right.
Follow the road until you reach FM 545. Go left on FM 545 until you reach HWY 121.
At the intersection of HWY 121 you can go straight to HWY 5 and then North or take HWY 121 to reach Tom Beam (preferred is hwy 5 route so I'll post it).
North on HWY 5 until you reach FM 121 in Van Alstyne.
Stay on FM 121 until you see FM 729 and turn left straight into Tom Beam.
From Tom Beam take HWY 11 East to Whitewright. At Whitewright go left onto HWY 69 North.
A few miles and left onto FM 697.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

My coworkers and I used to hit the Fillmore up pretty frequently. But recently they've decided to turn their music up way loud and it really ruins the place.

If everyone's thinking about starting out in McKinney again, we can do the same route that I've been running for a bit http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1091/Texas/North-Dallas---455-onto-697.html. 697 is the real gem of that trip and it looks like Skreemer and I missed out on a good chunk of it because I forgot where to turn in Tom Bean.

It's kinda short once you get the hang of it, maybe we could skip over to Bonham at the end of the route and try this guy http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1091/Texas/North-Dallas---455-onto-697.html ? The only downside being the 30 min slab between the two.

You linked the same route twice here.

I'd be up for a ride on Sunday.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

It's not like we we're just plodding along either... He was just in a hurry.

I remember seeing him getting on his bike in a parking lot as we rode past, he was definitely booking it.

Had a good time riding with you guys, thanks for navigating again kuffs.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

You guys started a ride like right outside my house and I was 600 miles away for it. :( You go through Strait lane for the mansions? Also have to go by and wave at Dubya's gate.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

PadreScout posted:

Motoliberty is having another shindig. I am compelled to go and see if I can find anything to spend my money on. One day I'm going to find a pair of city riding boots that fit right.

I'm going up there to pick up a more summer-weather appropriate jacket, maybe some gloves. Didn't actually know there was a sale though, that'll be nice.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

azzenco posted:

Need more details. How good of a rider do you need to be to join this crew? I'm in my first year and have about 800 miles of slow riding experience.

Today has been absolutely gorgeous.

I'm a terrible rider you'll be fine, though half the time I show up and can't actually go on the ride cause I have other commitments. (These two things may be related.)

Nice to see you guys again btw, picked up an RS Taichi 826 jacket for 15% off, good times finding eggs.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

I just got FIOS installed at my new place and will be spending Saturday getting moved in.

Let's do my new place.

My house is available too if you don't get all the way moved in, I'm up for whatever though already planned to be free on Sunday for this.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Well that was a buzzy ride home but otherwise uneventful. Now to shop around for some rearsets.

Had fun watching motogp with you guys, should do it again for Spain.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

M. Night Skymall, let us know what rearsets you go with.

I went with super cheap Chinese ones by Danmoto. :v: I suspect they'll suck but whatever, if it's awful I'll get some vortex ones and I can have those for a backup. My bike's shifting is definitely compromised though so anything's bound to be an improvement at this point. I put the shifter I had on there prior to the broken one but it has its own issues, and it's uh..ziptied to the frame cause missing bolts. It fell off when I went for a test ride after swapping it out and nothing really bad happened other than not being able to shift, so with the added zipties I'm not really concerned it's going to come off under regular use, but definitely excited about my new rearsets getting here and having a bike with a few less missing bolts.

My friend picked up a 2011 R6 with 900 miles on it from craigslist. He's a squid though(says the man with his shifter ziptied to his bike), went to meet him today to see it and he showed up in shorts/t-shirt and a helmet with his GF on the back with no gear at all. Looks to be pretty comfortable on a bike though. It's odd cause when I bought my jacket he picked up some 700 dollar Dainese jacket, he had to order it though so maybe it isn't here yet. And he has an Arai helmet, squids are weird spread some of that money around to your other body parts man. :downs:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sock Weasel posted:

My time period for riding around on my full UK motorcycle license over here is up so I need to do the tests. Do you guys have any personal recommendations on where to do my MSF? (Or... does it / the experience even vary between test centers?) I'm based in Arlington.

I took mine here: http://www.txmt.org/ and it seemed fine. My wife is doing hers here: http://www.texasmtc.com/ this weekend so I guess I could report on that later. Honestly if you already know how to ride a motorcycle it should be pretty trivial. I didn't know how to ride a motorcycle at all going in and it was still pretty easy. The only thing I'd say is make sure you study the DMV booklet (after the MSF) because the knowledge test at the DMV is weird and bizarrely specific about some things.

I'd just go for whoever has a location near you and a spot available when you want to go. Or do the Harley one because I bet that'd be funny. They're all around the same price too as far as I can tell. I think motoliberty has a 20 dollar off thing from one of the places if you grab a brochure and say you got it at motoliberty.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Far as I know Texas doesn't offer a practical exam at the DMV. You have to take the MSF course and then a knowledge test at the DMV to get your endorsement.

There were a bunch of guys who clearly needed no instruction in my class just taking it to get licensed.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sock Weasel posted:

I think a Harley dealership would raise an eyebrow if I turned up for their course on my Ninja... but that is tempting. :v:
Whatever MSF course you do supplies the bike, which is why I think Harley'd be amusing. Less so on a Buell Blast though.

Skreemer posted:

Hmm thanks for the note on the DMV/licensing. The three states i instructed for it was an either/or deal. Most folks opted for the MSF because the DMV only ran motorcycle testing once a week for 3 hours (it was almost impossible to get a test reservation through the DMV)

Of all things the bikes they use for instruction at the Harley dealers are Buell Blasts, a bike that hasn't been available for sale since 2009.

They're changing to the street 500 whenever that comes out, which should be a little less absurd, and available for purchase. I assumed they were doing it on the sportsters or something currently but I guess getting people to learn on some 900 CC cruiser is silly even for Harley.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Yep I'm free. Wanna do noon at my place again?

I'm free as well, noon is fine with me.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

A network engineer on a DRZ400 is possibly the gooniest motorcycle rider of all time that guy should be on here.

Good times watching MotoGP as always, we still going to try to organize a group ride for next weekend?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

No doubt! I'm happy you knew what you were doing M Night Skymall.

Pics from the afternoon (click for big):

And yes, we should try to put together a group ride next weekend. Anyone down for going to check out Revolver Brewing in Granbury? I was in the area last weekend and there's a ton of beautiful country with great winding hilly roads.

I just took 30 to 75 in downtown, it's not quite as fast as 635 but it's not that big a difference, and there was no way I was making the 635 exit.

I think I've tried Blood and Honey by Revolver before. I'd be up for riding around Granbury, my grandpa used to live there, haven't been in a long time.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I can only get out on Saturday, my mom's birthday Sunday. She claims it's fine if I go for a ride in the morning and come by later but I suspect she's lying :v:. I've never done a brewery tour either seems like it'd be fun. I need to go down to Deep Ellum Brewing Co. sometime I like their beer a lot.

Plan for labor day is to do my valve adjustment and swap out various lights/mirrors so I have brake lights and signals that are a bit more functional and less "legally they exist."

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

You could have been out riding in the rain with us. It was wet. The brewery was alright though, really crowded.

That was my first time riding in the rain, the visibility is awful. I was slowly convincing myself in my head that I should make my next(immediate) purchase a better helmet with one of those pinlock visor things so it didn't fog up, but apparently you guys couldn't see poo poo either so it doesn't matter.

Definitely going to pick up some kind of rainproof outerwear for my jacket though. Aside from the rain and the terrifying gravel road that was pretty fun. If we're going to be near Glen Rose again we should do destination BBQ because Glen Rose BBQ's pretty awesome. There're some other BBQ restaurants besides that one that are also good. I'd be up for it anyway, once we actually found the roads the riding was pretty nice too, more fun than Mckinney I thought.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Actually, I could see fine. I don't know if my visor has a special treatment or what, but water beads off of it pretty easily. And I have a wiper on my wet weather gloves.

Ah, well maybe I will get a better helmet or visor or something cause I couldn't see poo poo, even when the rain was just kinda misting it would still fog up pretty bad. That part after the car wash though I was just kinda staying generally behind your tail lights on the grey blur in front of me.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

I took a ride with some ADVrider guys on Sunday and learned a few new routes. I've got a treat for you dudes if you feel like hauling yourselves a bit west. FM 4 features *actual* canyons. Yes, canyons in North Texas. We ended up on the same highways I took you guys on Saturday at the end of the day. Ended up having barbeque at a biker / country joint outside Glen Rose. The food was 'meh' as far as I'm concerned. But it was fine for taking a break and preparing for the ride home.

I'd be up for riding Texas canyons. I was talking to my dad about it and he says if we're going to bother going somewhere for BBQ it has to be Llano or somewhere south of Austin (he had a specific place but I forget.) Neither of those are very interesting to get to though probably. The place we ate in Glen Rose wasn't a biker place so there may be better BBQ restaurants around. The only thing I really remember about it is that our waitress managed to use the word "ya'll" 7 times in a single sentence. It was a real linguistic achievement.

Anyway let me know if you guys are going and I'll make some time. If it ever stops raining anyway.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

So apparently my bike hasn't been able to go WoT for several weeks. That explains uh, some things. I fixed that today and made the first steps to having blinkers that blink at appropriate speeds, I put some resistors on the front and got new mirrors with blinkers on them so they're actually visible. I have new lights for the rear as well but only the 1 set of resistors so I'll have to wait until another pair come in so everything works correctly. Be nice to have people able to tell where I'm indicating from the front.

Anyone going riding if we aren't watching the GP? Feeling kinda cooped up after all this rain.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

I had to basically emergency install a new tire on my ride. It was getting pretty flat, nearly cupped. F800riders.org apparently hates the stock tires and I'm an outlier for even coaxing 5500 miles out of them.

What tires did you go with?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Anyone wanna name a meetup place? Special requests for routes?

Doesn't really matter to me where we meet, I'd be up for going out towards glen rose again if there're canyons there somewhere. Was pretty fun last time.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

As a warning, if we do FM4 it may be a bit of a trek. It starts in Jacksboro

Is it this one? https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33....1!4e1!3e0?hl=en

That doesn't look so bad as it loops back towards Dallas. Should be a similar number of miles to what we did last week.

I got a chin mount for my GoPro so hopefully can get it to work.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Let's meet at the Dunkin donuts at Alpha and Preston. 10:30am sound good?

Works for me, see you then.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Made it home good ride decent roads. Someone post video/pictures.

Certainly, here're some pictures I have of you making a legal pass while obeying all posted speed limits: http://imgur.com/a/oka7L Pictures taken .5s apart.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

You guys wanna try an Austin ride sometime? Since Skreemer doesn't work Sundays we have the potential to roll out here at like 7~8am and make it down to Austin by 11ish. Might be pretty fun to roll some *actual* hills and twisties.

edit: not pictured in either of those: me

That one was relatively easy to find, as it turns out mining 4000 pictures that mostly consist of my bike and some straight road for interesting shots is a little rough. Looks like I need to see what I can do to angle the camera more up. Though to be fair I think it'd just work better if I didn't have a windscreen. I think it'll be great for trackdays and stuff. I did take some video and it turned out fine but equally boring.

I'm tentatively up for an Austin run, I've done it plenty of times before where we leave at like 5am and then rock climb all day and drive home at night and it's pretty brutal. Not having to rock climb when we get there should make it a little easier but it's still 350-400 miles of commuting + whatever riding we do when we get there in a day.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

That photo set is hilarious. I love the blacked out speedometer and the prominent solid yellow "don't pass here" line. So FM4 was fun? Will you be going back?

I had a great time riding about 30 miles from my house to Frisco and back to meet some friends for lunch. I stopped for gas on the way for an added touch of excitement and danger :(

I declared last night that I'm going on the next group ride that occurs while we're in town, plus my wife decided she needs to go to the George Strait concert next Saturday, so it seems totally reasonable now for me to spend an entire Sunday riding to/around/from Austin and collapsing in exhaustion the minute I walk back in the door. I've been thinking about riding in Hill Country since I got my first bike and haven't done it yet; my only long ride, ever, was to Tulsa and back and I wouldn't recommend that route to anyone.

I think we have to go on Sunday in order for Skreemer to make it. Aren't you out in Mckinney? We should do OK instead. All of us are north Dallas(Except Skreemer) which ends up adding a lot of worthless miles on interstates to get to Austin, and I think a lot of the good riding near Austin is actually south or west of it which adds even more miles. I think it'll be at least 250 for most of us before we get into interesting hill country territory. I'd like to ride here instead:

If we're starting in Mckinney, we can be near the start of that ride in 120 170 (The last 50 miles are pretty mountainous which threw me off but I guess technically it's 170 to the actual bypass) miles. I was going to recommend the Wichita mountain wildlife refuge but it turns out Mckinney's further east than I thought and it's not very close. The Talimena National Scenic Byway however is relatively close.

Round trip, where we basically ride the byway out and back is ~500 miles with around 230 of it being primarily hilly curvy roads, so we'd still have to get started pretty early and make good time out to OK, but I think it'll be better riding than Austin for us. This is the route I was thinking. We can save 60 miles round trip if we skip the jog over to 271, I have no idea if that's worth it or not but it certainly looks hilly on the map. Some googling has it show up on recommended motorcycling routes so probably worth the trouble, can always just skip it on the way back if it's getting late.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Are we trying to book this for the 8th then?

I think that getting out to 271 can't be any worse than our trek out to Jacksboro yesterday. I'd like to see a different route back if everyone is cool with that.

After we hit Mena we could go back up the byway and then cut down 259 towards Idabel, OK, and then follow whatever back to Dallas.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I'm in, the rain actually didn't bother me too much last time other than visibility, dried out really fast. Definitely going to Rain-X my visor though. I'd read somewhere that you weren't supposed to do it but the manufacturer's website says it's fine so boo random internet forums.

We don't usually go much more than an hour without stopping and usually just drink then, buy water/sportdrink at gas stations along the way or bring a bunch of bottles. My bike isn't going more than about 2 hours at our pace without gas anyway.

I think we should be on the road by around 8am from Mckinney if at all possible. I'd like to err on the side of having more than enough time to get back on a large road before it's dark. Google puts me at 536 miles including the jog to/from mckinney(35m each way for me) and about 10 hours of non-stop riding.

I've driven out through east Texas far too many times commuting to/from TN for school, but driving up/down I-30 in a loaded up honda civic doesn't really give you much to appreciate. I would prefer it if we could avoid having to go all the way down and take I-30 in though because I'm 100% sure it is not exciting.

Also if anyone wants to pick anything up, Motoliberty is having a sale/music/food thing from 1-4pm on Saturday. I'm going to be out there picking up some new gloves and trying to convince my wife to finish her gear collection so she can actually get on a motorcycle. There's some resistance.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

How does the Valero at the corner of Eldorado Pkwy and Medical Center Dr. sound? Just off 75 and has a shopping center next to it. Unless the guy who lives out in Mckinney has a better recommendation. I can never remember what roads are under construction out there but I think that should be fine to get to.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Looks like a high of 80 across the scenic byway and a 40% chance of rain, so maybe bring some backup clothes or whatever in case you get cold and wet. Think I'm going to go ahead and pick up rain gear just in case, rain in 90 degree weather was fine because it just cooled me off and was wet, below 80 while soaking wet will probably be unpleasant.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Forecast claims rain in the morning and late afternoon/evening up in Oklahoma/Arkansas and only a couple hours of rain during the day, given that the day's 14.5 hours long now and it's probably raining early morning/late afternoon/evening we might avoid getting rained on in the mountains. Might be a wet road though. I'm up for it with how the weather looks but I'm picking up a rain suit on Saturday and some quick drying base layer stuff like I said, and some kind of solution to the "can't see poo poo out my visor in the rain" problem I had last time.

If people don't want to we could always do a more local route and hope for better weather later, either way's fine with me.

Tried to get that US-10 from the guy on ADVrider btw kuffs but it'd already sold. Think I'm going with a Givi topcase anyway. We're getting my wife a new car so I'm probably keeping this bike a while :v:, may as well be happy with it. Also make grocery shopping and commuting less annoying with a place to stick my helmet, and eggs. Now I just need a new windshield and handlebars and I'll have replaced almost everything on it that seemed weird.

Edit: It's not raining in Austin if anyone has a route to ride there as an alternative. (It is hot as poo poo though.)

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 6, 2014

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

What base layer are you going with?

Ex-officio boxer-briefs should get here today to try and I'm probably just going to stick with my long sleeved Reebok tech shirt. The reebok stuff does pretty well. Pretty sure it's this one. It's also a lot cheaper than any of the motorcycle brands except Cyclegear's heatout. I got one of the heatout compression shirts and hated the fit. I'm confident the Ex-Officio stuff'll help because I used to have a lot of their stuff when I used to hike/climb a lot and it worked pretty well.

I was planning on just looking at what Motoliberty has this Saturday for a full length baselayer bottom. I'm pretty confident that just switching to the Ex-Officio stuff'll help tremendously vs. cotton, but my legs are definitely uncomfortable in the heat even with mesh pants so I'm probably going to at least try the RS-Taichi cool ride stuff or try the Heatout bottoms from Cyclegear, or both. Cyclegear's bottoms are 15 bucks so I'm not really risking a lot there.

Switching from cotton t-shirts to the long sleeved tech tops made things a lot more comfortable for me up top, also felt a lot less gross since I don't stick to the sleeves of my jacket when I try to take it off. It also dried really quick in the rain last time and didn't get clammy or anything.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

No problem. There's a flash flood warning in talihina until 7pm. Don't think that's reasonable to ride through. Still hanging out at the gas station waiting on skreemer, but not riding to Oklahoma for sure.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

Where did you end up going instead?

Trying Forney. South East should be somewhat dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

I'm looking out the window at the street (which has dried up again) and feeling stupid and wondering if I can go out somewhere by myself later if that system blows through. It's too late to catch up with you all now, but I hate the idea of all that prep work and anticipation being completely wasted.

Headed home already, despite our best efforts to try to dodge the rain it was still really wet. I hadn't actually checked the weather since Friday so I didn't see how much worse the forecast had gotten until I was already out at the gas station in Mckinney. If I had I'd probably have posted to say we probably shouldn't ride into a flash flood warning in Oklahoma :v:. Still really want to do that ride though so hopefully we can get a free day + good weather to line up sometime soon.

You didn't miss much besides wet roads and really mediocre/bad tex-mex.

• Locked thread