Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Hello Dallas riders! I am moving cross country to Dallas this weekend and hope join the ranks once I've settled in and purchased a bike down there and become comfortable with it. I just completed the MSF last weekend and I've been looking on Craigslist for an SV650. I don't know anyone in Texas besides a few friends that live in Austin, would it be possible to persuade one of you to look at bikes with me for road worthiness? I can compensate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Thanks guys! I'll PM you or something once I'm down there.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Hey Skreemer/Padre if the offer to come help me look at a bike is still good I'm all settled in now and I'm hoping to go look at a motorcycle this week/weekend. I was leaning towards something newer at first, but I think I am going to go for a first gen SV650 since it will be my first bike and I don't have a covered place to park it. This is the one I have my eye on, it's located in Garland. 30k miles but from the pictures it doesn't seem to have any glaring problems and I like the way it looks.

I'm living in Uptown Dallas so let me know what works best for you guys logistically and we can figure something out. PM me or email at thatjerkjosh_AT_gmail.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Yeah I would definitely prefer FI for the convenience, but I do intend to do all the maintenance myself so hopefully the carbs won't be too much of a pain in the rear end. Is the newness of the rear tire going to affect its traction? I am undecided on whether I want to ride it off or tow it. My only prior experience was with the MSF but I didn't have any problems there. Obviously riding on the streets and highways will be different but I've got all the gear and I'm a careful person by nature. I intend to use this bike to commute to Fort Worth so the sooner I get comfortable the better.

A lot of people have told me DFW is not very friendly to motorcyclists. Have you guys had this experience? A coworker who also rides told me to get a really loud exhaust but that seems to be a very polarizing topic amongst other riders.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Picked up my SV today with the generous help of Skreemer! Rode it home no problem (aside from the DFW drivers) and am planning to ride it to work tomorrow as well. It needs a little bit of work but it runs and there were no serious issues. I'd love to join you guys the next time you go out for a ride.

Thanks again Skreemer!

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Alceste posted:

Congratulations. Did you get that first gen? If so, I have a copy of the factory service manual on a CD-R around here somewhere. I had to do a lot of restoration on mine after it spent 5 years gathering cobwebs in the PO's garage, so I got to be quite mechanically intimate with it. I'd be happy to make you a copy and/or answer questions if you need anything like that.

Yes, ended up getting the 2002. I downloaded the service manual from svrider.com and I've been looking through it but it's definitely a bit intimidating for never having done any mechanical work in the past. Still, I want to learn to do this myself. While the previous owner had said that it had been regularly serviced the receipts he provided me were only for a few different things and I'm not sure if the recommended maintenance schedule was followed so I'd like to be able to go through most of that.

Right now I'm planning on replacing the brake pads, flushing the radiator and perhaps an oil/filter change per Skreemer's recommendations.

Skreemer posted:

Don't forget to order new brake pads all around. There's still material there but they looked kinda thin. Recheck the amount of coolant and oil. You're going to need to get a paddock stand set of stands, Alceste and M. Night Skymall both have SVs though M. Night Skymall's is a 2nd generation. Oil your chain, it's noisy as heck. If you decide to go new chain, remember to replace chain and sprockets together.

Looks like I'm going to need to go buy an ethylene glycol base anti-freeze and mix it 50/50 with distilled water for the engine coolant. I still need to buy oil and a pan for it; I should be able to take the used oil to any mechanic for disposal right? Is the used engine coolant okay to dispose of in a more conventional manner? What oil do you guys recommend? And what should I use to oil the chain?

M. Night Skymall posted:

I do all my own work on my bike, and it was fairly beat up when I got it (still pretty beat up) so let me know if you need any help with anything. I have a stand that'll lift up the front/rear without loading the suspension that should work on a first gen also.

Not sure when we're riding again, I think of all the rides we've done this one starting in Mckinney is my favorite. I think FM4 out by Granbury has a bit more in terms of elevation/twisties but it's not nearly as convenient. Both are good though if you're looking for somewhere near Dallas to get some riding in.

I know kuffs said he was busy the 22nd, anyone up for trying to ride out to Oklahoma the 29th? I also want to do a motorcycle camping trip sometime but I need to work out my kit and figure out how to avoid melting, may end up cheating and just meeting my wife somewhere while she drives the car.

I'd definitely appreciate the use of the stand until I get one of my own and perhaps a bit of guidance on the initial servicing. I'm also reading that I shouldn't replace the brake pads on both the front and rear wheels at the same time, so I may only do one for now. What are good brake pads to get?

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

I'd like to come as well! I ordered a Pit Bull stand but it won't get here until Monday. I wanted to do my oil change/radiator flush/brakes/chain cleaning. If you guys don't mind having a noob around that'd be awesome.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

I've got the oil, oil filter, coolant, brake fluid, brake pads, grunge brush, degreaser and chain lube. I think I can fit it all into my Kriega R25. I don't know what I should get to store the used coolant though, so maybe I can pick that up at AutoZone.

Look forward to Sunday!

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

I've been riding to work this week after the generous help of M. Night with some of my routine maintenance. Hasn't been too bad and haven't had any scary moments, but going home to Dallas from Fort Worth on 183/35 I go through some loving insane wind. Blows me around a bit on the bike and freaked me out once when I felt the front wheel move a bit more than I would like. Sometimes I have to lean to the side just to go straight.

Only issue I'm having with the bike right now is poor idling. I think, and some of the other riders I've talked to think it's dirty carbs so I bought some B-12 Chemtool to add to my tank and some of the B-12 spray stuff as well that I can spray directly into the carbs. Going to try that out tomorrow or Friday and see how it goes. I really don't want to take the carbs out and clean them but I'll probably have to do that eventually anyway.

I'll try to join you guys the next time you go for a ride but I've heard some of you like to go pretty fast. I've only gone up to 80 so far, usually do 70-75 on the highway. Might need some more miles under my belt before I do tag along.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

I'd be interested if this B-12 doesn't do the trick. I've read a little bit about colortune and carb syncing and it seems pretty heavy, so I probably need to do more reading before I'd be comfortable doing something like that.

One of my coworkers is going up to Oklahoma to pick up his dad's Harley on Saturday, he said he'd give me a call if he ended up going for a ride on Sunday. Other than that I didn't have anything planned. If you guys end up doing any kind of ride post it here and I'll see if I can join you.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Hmmm this sounds cool. I think my R/R is fried, was going to confirm with a multimeter tomorrow but in the meanwhile I have a new Yuasa battery already and a new R/R coming from roadstercycle.com

For tomorrow I have the old battery trickle charged and I can probably throw that back in and ride up.

edit: although I dropped my truck off today at the mechanic and was supposed to pick it up tomorrow before they close at 3. Need to figure out these logistics.

Spankydoodle fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 12, 2014

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

I had my Sena mounted by the guys at BMW Motorcycles of North Dallas:

They were one of the few local dealers that I found that carried Sena. They gave me a 10% discount on the price if I had them do the install for me, came to ~$215 total where it would be $209 before tax if I bought it online.

I'd recommend these guys to anyone else in our area that is thinking of getting one. The guy that did the installation for me has done dozens before and had it down to a science. The install is very clean as you can see.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

That's a cool looking Harley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

That deals gap run actually looks like a lot of fun. I'd love to do it.

M. Night I still have to give you back your heat gun! I've had it for far too long.

• Locked thread