Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I live in McKinney and I'm getting tired of riding by myself. I'm not sure how much time I can get for myself on Sunday, though, as I usually have to borrow it from my wife and kids. How long you typically spend on a ride like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
All right, cool, that sounds pretty manageable. I'll work on freeing up that afternoon because I don't know how long this weather will last.

I've been riding only a bit over two years and I've only ever gone out by myself, so I hope I wouldn't be a drag on the group if I were able to go. I've got a first gen SV650, if it matters.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Can't do it this time. Wife has a hair appointment at 2 so I need to watch the kids. :doh: I'll try to make the next one.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm installing new steel brake lines and new brake pads on the front today (if my garage is warm enough) or tomorrow. Would it be stupid to go on a group ride with new pads? I'd love to get out this weekend if the weather is good and another ride gets put together, but EBC says you're supposed to ride extra careful for the first 300 friggin miles and at my rate that will take months.

It's going to be either that or a homebrew session, so I'm going to have a good time either way, dammit. This has been a lovely week.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
If you miss Virginia (which is easy if you're coming north on 75) the next easiest thing to do might be to exit 380 / University, go east, and loop back around. You can hang a right on McDonald St. (aka State Highway 5) and follow it south to Virginia, turn right again, and the Pub is five blocks ahead on the right.

You all may already know this but the Pub has an older sister in downtown Plano called the Fillmore, which is where I hung out a lot before we moved to McK. Also a cool place--not as roomy but I like it a little better.

The brake pads and lines went on with no issues yesterday, and as long as I'm a little heavier with my right foot I can still stop okay. I've got a fresh oil change and chain lube too, so unless the weather is really bad or there's some family emergency, I'm riding this Sunday.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I haven't tried taking that route, but then again I live at Virginia & Custer so whenever I go downtown I just head straight east on Virginia.

If the consensus is to meet in HDMcK and if anyone needs help finding it, I can meet somewhere more convenient along 75 or SRT/121 and act as a guide.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I rode around McK this afternoon to bed in the new pads a bit more and it sure was nice out--drat near perfect. Tomorrow should be as good or better, and the brakes feel very decent already, so I'll see you at the Pub. I assume I just need to look for people in riding gear or a table with helmets on it or something.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I certainly had a great time. Thanks again for letting me join you all. Looking forward to next time.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
That looks like a nearly-all-day trip but if I could get freed up--my next three weekends are booked, myself--I'd be willing to try it. We used to live in Coppell and I'd take 35 to and from Oklahoma to visit my family, and I remember that it's pretty nice up that way, although Denton traffic really sucks.

It would be nice if that route didn't have such a big chunk of 35 in it, like if it came across the lake and back down some of those country roads to the east. I went camping at RRSP last November and the roads we took between McKinney and there would have been good for riding. They were a lot like the route you took us on last week, lots of farms and quick lefts and rights. Sucked in a car though.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I will have family visiting from out of town whom I only see a few times a year, so I won't be able to make it, but have fun and ride safe if you go.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Is anyone else, by chance, going out this weekend? I am approaching that extremely rare convergence point once again where I don't have anyone visiting, I don't have to work, I don't have any house or yard projects to do, and the weather should be good. Should.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
That sucks dude. That's beyond ridiculous just for TWO tires. I spent an entire Saturday mounting my tires the first time I tried it, before I learned the tricks, which sucked, but I'd still rather do that than pay that much. This was just mounting PR2's for a 2000 SV650 though, so probably a lot less risk involved. Ghetto as hell, too--my bead breaker was the 12" C-clamp I use for brake jobs and my tire mounting rack was a pair of cinder blocks with a lovely old towel draped over them. I balanced them with an ounce of Airsoft pellets in each tire. :downs:

Still, I hate dealing with tires in general, both on bikes and cars.

I might just go putter around by myself out east like I used to do. These opportunities come up so rarely that I'd hate myself for wasting one.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Awww man, I would be so all over that if I wasn't going out of town with the family this weekend. All my extended relatives are getting together in Virginia and I haven't seen any of them in 5+ years. I have a kid none of them have met yet and two cousins in their 20's that I haven't seen since they were babies.

Anyway, I rode out to meet a friend for lunch yesterday for the first time since putting an R6 throttle tube on my SV (reduces throw to about 1/4 turn) and the bike feels fantastic. I need to get a real ride in before the weather gets unbearable.

Has anyone got plans for Sunday 6/1? I am going to block out some time to ride no matter what but I would love to not have to go by myself.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

Marxalot posted:

This probably isn't the place to ask, but you all seem like beer nerds and there's bound to be a few of you that know both Dallas and Houston.

Does the houston area have an equivalent to Mr. G's in Plano? I haven't found a place down here with the same kind of selection as them.

Looks like Total Wine and Spec's (which bought Mr. G's a few years ago) both have locations in Houston. Here in Dallas they both have awesome selections, but they are bigger chain stores so the beer selections are maybe not quite as individualized to the managers' tastes like Mr. G's and Kegs & Barrels in Plano. Still, I think you will probably find what you're looking for at either of those places.

We just got back from our Washington DC trip yesterday and it looks like the weather there was a lot better than here so I guess I don't have to feel lovely about missing the Revolver trip.

Peticolas and Community are my two favorite breweries in the DFW area and they're pretty close to each other, but they're in an area that is not the least bit fun for riding, so that sucks. Franconia is up in McKinney near where I live, and they have been around a while longer and are in better proximity to some riding roads, if you guys are looking to do more of that sort of thing. Franconia has the disadvantages of not being as far away as Granbury and not having really great beer. Their dunkel is okay but everything else I've had has been sorta meh.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I really wish I could go tomorrow but I committed that time to the family already, and I'm not getting let out of it. What you're planning sounds fun and I have been trying to ride more lately but I can't make it work this time.

I am putting in a reservation for the next ride now though. There's not much decent weather left.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
That photo set is hilarious. I love the blacked out speedometer and the prominent solid yellow "don't pass here" line. So FM4 was fun? Will you be going back?

I had a great time riding about 30 miles from my house to Frisco and back to meet some friends for lunch. I stopped for gas on the way for an added touch of excitement and danger :(

I declared last night that I'm going on the next group ride that occurs while we're in town, plus my wife decided she needs to go to the George Strait concert next Saturday, so it seems totally reasonable now for me to spend an entire Sunday riding to/around/from Austin and collapsing in exhaustion the minute I walk back in the door. I've been thinking about riding in Hill Country since I got my first bike and haven't done it yet; my only long ride, ever, was to Tulsa and back and I wouldn't recommend that route to anyone.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I am in McKinney, yeah. Also I would only be free on Sunday since I have to watch the kids while their mom is getting in touch with her redneck roots at the concert. I am fully domesticated and boring.

So, all of this sounds good to me. When I have to go to OK it's almost always to Tulsa and back, or going east from there on 44 into Missouri, and all of those roads are boring as poo poo. It would be nice to see a part of the state that's pretty and interesting.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm in for the 8th but it would be helpful to know how early you all would want to meet. My wife has to make it all the way back here from Arlington late on Saturday night, and if I have to leave real early Sunday morning I might have to make some arrangements.

I'm pretty excited too--I've been riding for 2.5 years now, and I haven't done any touring at all yet, which is what I'm considering this to be. I've been that far east in TX a few times and I thought it was really scenic and nice, but it was also further south (Gilmer, i.e. Barnwell Mountain Rec Area) and I was in my truck, wishing I was on the bike.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm in.

Any suggestions for cheap rain gear that can be bought locally? I can't afford anything like the suit you've got and all my summer gear has holes/mesh in it. I have windproof winter gear but nothing waterproof. That trip to Tulsa I mentioned, the entire return leg was in the rain, and I promised myself that I'd get rain gear before my next long trip. I just didn't expect it to be this soon.

Do you guys use Camelbaks or anything to stay hydrated on the bike or is that overkill while it's still less than 100 out?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Since I'm not going to be doing anything but riding that day, and it doesn't matter what happens to my clothes underneath, maybe I'll just deal with the rain (if there is any) in my regular gear. The main thing that bothered me last time was being cold--being wet wasn't that bad on its own. The bike handled fine.

I like the glove idea though, if I can find any big enough to fit over my already big regular gloves. I have a new set of A* SP2 gloves that are just now getting broken in, and I like them but they seem huge.

If we're breaking roughly hourly then I will probably forego the camelbak and just pack some bottles in my tank bag. I've got the full factory toolkit under the passenger seat and I have a tire plug kit with a CO2 inflator but I'm not sure what else would be needed, hardware-wise.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Seems as good a place as any to me. The Eldorado exit from 75 has been screwed up by construction since I moved here but it's always just been westbound that was affected. I'll be there and ready to roll at 8.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Rain and storms are looking increasingly likely for this weekend.

Do you intend to make a go/no go decision on, say, Saturday evening or are you all planning to go no matter what?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I would have enjoyed meeting up with you guys at Motoliberty but I just didn't have time to go all the way down there and back. I did make it to Cycle Gear and got some cheap Bilt/Frogg Toggs rain gear though, so I should be set for rain tomorrow if we get it.

I came through that Eldorado exit on the way back to recon the Valero station there. poo poo's hosed up and bullshit if you're trying to go west, still, but you won't have any trouble getting to that gas station. It's on the right.

See yall a bit before 8 tomorrow.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm sorry but I am going to hang back. Weather radar shows a big system right where we would be going and possibility of storms besides rain. Not my idea of fun. I was really looking forward to this and I'm sorry to drop out at the last minute, but 500 miles in intermittent rain and storms just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Where did you end up going instead?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm looking out the window at the street (which has dried up again) and feeling stupid and wondering if I can go out somewhere by myself later if that system blows through. It's too late to catch up with you all now, but I hate the idea of all that prep work and anticipation being completely wasted.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Well, thanks, that helps a little. I have been feeling lovely about this all morning. I'm sorry you guys didn't have a better time. I am still very ready/stoked to make that trip to the byway so I hope we can work that out again soon. I will be out of town--Broken Bow, actually, in the general area--next weekend for Father's Day but no plans for a while after that.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Between the replacement parts (the ones that tend to snap off) and the rash on the tank it seems like it's been down at least once, but it's very clean. I can't get my swingarms that shiny. The rear tire also looks shiny, though--if you ride it off, please be careful.

Once I got them cleaned and synched, I never found the carbs on mine (I have a 2000 SV650) to be difficult to deal with, nor has the choke/warm up time been much of an issue. My bike has been very good to me. It runs and rides great and still gets ~45 MPG at 28K miles. I was looking for Gen 2's when I found mine, but it was too good a deal to pass up and I've never thought much since about what I might have missed. Then again, I do all the wrenching on it and I'm comfortable with that. People who don't do their own maintenance tend to be more wary of carburetors.

All of the decent Gen2's I've seen around DFW were about $3500+, at least when I was looking. I bet you could get this one for $2000 cash if you like it and if you press the issue about that tank damage.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
You definitely want to be real careful with a new tire for the first, I dunno, 100 miles or so? Maybe less? Kuffs recently replaced one or both of his tires, I think, so maybe he can weigh in.

But when it's brand spanking new and shiny like that you need to be careful not to lean too much or be too heavy handed with the throttle. That said, I've scrubbed in two sets of new tires on two different bikes so far and never had any issues. I just rode somewhat conservatively. If it runs and you're comfortable, I see no reason to let that keep you from riding it home. I bought my first bike right after I took the MSF with zero other experience, and I rode it home with no problems. (it wasn't an SV though)

I can't speak for anyone else here but I agree with that assessment of D/FW drivers. After moving here from the Midwest I immediately found them to be self-centered assholes who drive way too fast. Then you factor in the prevalence of big, tall SUV's and trucks; immigrants who just learned how to drive here; idiots who pay more attention to phones than driving; and, now that it's summer, a lot of high school kids on the roads too.

You just have to be really, really careful is all. You develop a prescience after a while for driver stupidity--certain signs tip you off that someone in your vicinity is going to do something retarded, and when you learn to trust that instinct it helps a lot. I have had a few near misses but that's pretty much it. I don't commute long distances, though. I have a somewhat aggressive riding style that focuses on keeping out of the way of other vehicles, and it's served me well so far. Being the fastest thing on the road within your sight line is a big defensive advantage.

The loud exhaust thing is pretty subjective IMO. That bike you posted has an aftermarket pipe which might already be loud. I replaced my stock setup with a Danmoto titanium slip-on with a baffle in it, though it was mostly about weight savings and looks for me, but I am happy with how it sounds. I just don't know if it makes me any more noticeable in traffic. If someone is in a position to hear it, I'm most likely already out of their blind spot and/or right in front of them.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Congratulations. Did you get that first gen? If so, I have a copy of the factory service manual on a CD-R around here somewhere. I had to do a lot of restoration on mine after it spent 5 years gathering cobwebs in the PO's garage, so I got to be quite mechanically intimate with it. I'd be happy to make you a copy and/or answer questions if you need anything like that.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Sounds like you're going to be doing a lot of the same stuff I did. The fluid changes and chain service are easy. Brakes aren't bad either.

I have been using Rotella-T diesel engine oil and it works great and is relatively cheap. I used Prestone and distilled water for coolant after flushing out the old stuff. Regular DOT4 for the brakes, same deal with flushing out the old fluid but it's a tad more complicated cuz you have to bleed them too.

I have been using kerosene and a "Grime Minister" chain brush every 600 miles for cleaning the chain and I lube it with some kind of white wax spray lube I got at Cycle Gear that is supposed to never fling off as long as you let it dry overnight. Seems to work fine but the chain only has a few thousand miles on it. Bit of a pain in the rear end sometimes but not difficult.

Hard to advise on what type of pads to choose. Personal preference and riding style are big factors. I put EBC HH pads on my fronts this year, and I like how they bite but they have to be hot. When I do the rears I'm going to use organics.

Skymall, I might be free on the 29th. Really want to try again to make that trip. I was in Broken Bow last weekend and it's pretty up there.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I wouldn't admit it in the other threads, where the consensus seems to be if you don't buy Pitbull stands your bike will fall over, but I got one of those cheap two-piece rear paddock stands when they were on sale for $40 at Cycle Gear and in combination with some cheap no-name spools, it works great for chain maintenance. I spin the wheel a lot during the cleaning part, with some trash bags underneath to catch the dripping kerosene, and at least for me that wouldn't be possible without a stand. One time prior to that I used my floor jack and a small piece of 1x6 under the engine to get the rear up in the air and that worked, but it wasn't nearly as stable as I would have liked.

We have enough SV's represented now to make a subgroup. Might be fun to meet up to talk about maintenance/tech and swap stories since we're all doing it ourselves. So far I've rebuilt the forks with stiffer springs and heavier oil, replaced the goddamn fork seals twice (my own fault), mounted new tires, rebuilt and resynced the carbs, replaced the chain and sprockets, replaced the levers, replaced all fluids and the front brake lines and pads, and have done few little mods like the turn signals and a homemade fender eliminator, which also made me have to retrofit a solid state flasher relay. I would be curious to know if you (MNS) have had things better or worse with your second gen and what all you had to do to it.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
What is the temperature threshold that makes you love or hate life on a long ride? I have only taken relatively short rides in 90+ weather.

It is a little cooler up there, and I had hoped that leaving DFW in the morning and coming back in the evening would help us dodge the worst of it, but I also agree that very soon it's going to be too miserable to attempt it.

It was slightly scary using the rear stand by myself the first time, but it's nothing now. I position the stand under the spools (it only catches one, of course), put myself on the left side of the rear wheel, use the pillion handle to tilt the bike up slightly, use my foot to push the rear stand down until it engages the other spool, and then I push it the rest of the way down until it's stable.

I hadn't seen one of those PackJack things before but it's a clever idea and I like the fact that the demo video and instructions feature a first gen SV650. :toot: Looks like you'd only want to use it on the road or a level driveway, though. Seems like it would slip pretty easily on a garage floor.

How was the valve check for you? I am pretty sure mine are going to be fine but it's the only important spec/clearance that I haven't checked or adjusted yet. I would also like to know how the rear shock works for you. I've been considering that myself, being a fatass that weighs about twice as much as the rider Suzuki designed the bike for, and I have the preload cranked up. The stiffer front forks made a big difference for me so I wonder what I could expect from a new shock.

Have fun with that fork job. It was a messy and frustrating half day for me the first time, following the blue-hairded girl's write up for changing fork oil. The second time I had to change the fork seals it was a lot easier but still messy.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I wonder how old my kids will have to be before I can afford a dadbike.

Back on the topic of 93+ degree riding, if you had a choice between a solid leather jacket with mesh panels and zippered vents that doesn't fit because you lost a bunch of weight, and a jacket that does fit but is all perforated leather with no vents that can be closed, which would be better?

I re-read that article about hot weather touring and ventilation and I'm starting to wonder if I could handle a long ride like the Oklahoma route, if it's that hot out, with what I have to wear. I don't have funds to invest in a bunch of new gear or fancy base layer stuff. The house and the car have been picking my pockets all year.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Longest ride I've been on was about 6 hours, but it took that long because it was in cold and rain the entire time and I stopped several times to find ways to add layers. Longest ride in fair weather was about 5-5.5 hours, so I'm still pretty soft. I'm not worried about the length of the ride so much as my tendency to get dehydrated.

If we are going to be in the mid 80's for much/most of the time, I'll be fine I think. It was not uncomfortably warm in Broken Bow last weekend by any means, which is right on 259 there, north of Idabel, though it was humid. I have some cheap compression undergarments that seem to work well enough (tried em out the Saturday before we were supposed to go to OK) and I might bring along my ancient old Camelbak, which is very small as those things go.

I like the saloon idea.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
McKinney just tightened their water restrictions even more so someone around here apparently thinks the drought is still getting worse, despite all the rain you've been causing. I guess rain next weekend is a guarantee since that Oklahoma ride is on the calendar again.

I had no hope of going for a ride today, due to all the other stuff I had to do, and I couldn't even do those things because it was all outdoor work so I'm not really sure how to feel about how the day went. I worked on organizing closets at home instead. Woo hoo.

I still think I need to check my valves sometime. MNS did you get to do that job today? How did it go?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I was worried that the forums wouldn't come back up in time to resume planning this. :f5:

Assuming decent weather this time, and as of now it looks like dry and about 90, I'm still in.

edit: for the 29th that is

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
It would be weird if I turned out to be the only person available to ride on a sunny weekend.

I had to go to Plano for work today and while I was there I exchanged something at Cycle Gear and noticed that all their Heat-Out stuff is half off, and they are throwing in a T-shirt for $9.99 if you buy anything else. I don't know how well it works compared to better brands, but I figured $20 was okay to gamble on one of their long sleeve shirts.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I just want to ride somewhere. For the love of God, I need to get out on the bike and away from the house and work for awhile. I'm already resolved to go somewhere alone if nothing else works out, but I'd rather be with at least part of this group if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Congratulations, that sounds like lots of fun. I'd love to be able to do that someday.

• Locked thread