Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
OK it was multiple cops and drat were they pulling people over like crazy.

Thanks for the route and suggesting the Gin Mill for lunch, the food was excellent.(superlative)
The route around the lake though confusing and fraught with many stops for no vehicle access was very nice. The scenery of housing, the lake and skyline as well as the people were excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I ditched everything today and rode out to Austin. Got to eat brunch at a place owned by a guy I know (Blue Ox mentioned above). I also got to stop off just outside of Waco in West, Texas where there seems to be a high concentration of Czech folks. Got to eat some kolache at exit 353 along I-35 (http://www.czechstop.net/). It wasn't a bad ride, left the house just before 8am and got home about 4pm. Didn't stay anywhere for very long and cruised at higher than posted speeds and was still getting passed. Enjoyable day though.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
When I got to Austin proper it wasn't too bad. Along 35 between Waco and Austin, it sometimes got a bit interesting.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

azzenco posted:

Excellent weather for a ride tonight.

Except along 635 between 35E and 75... The traffic is moving along fine, just no one is looking out for anyone else, and the exit ramps are freaking treacherous.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone have no plans for Sunday? (supposed to rain part of the weekend anyway) I have an account on the MotoGP site and will kick in for food/beer if someone hosts a few hours of racing. The GP race itself is on the 23rd at 1400 local time.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

Speaking of races. Any of you guys going to Austin for the race?

I already have my tickets and hotel space .

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
drat good race as an introduction to the series. Thank you for Hosting Kuffs. Watching the races on my 24" monitor is never fun.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

np dood, I'm happy to do so. I learned a lot about the series today :).

I'd like to host the Argentine race as well, but I'm moving around that time, so it could be iffy.

Aside form the bikes I own a truck, if you need a hand just let me know.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Padre Scout,

I'm up for a ride, just let me look at what the schedule is going to be like, either this weekend or next weekend I'm supposed to ride up to Branson Missouri.

motorocker,

What kind of accommodations are you looking for?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

Probably not going to be this weekend after all. My tires got shipped to the wrong place by FedEx and I have a new lease of machines coming in tomorrow I'll have to sort over the weekend. Next weekend for realsies?

That works for me. See you then.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

motorocker posted:

Just the standard free fare, butler passed champagne and hors d'oeuvres, concierge, continental breakfast and a straw bed in a box car. Actually I think I'm gonna camp out down there in Austin on race weekend, but If anyone wants to drink some beer and shoot the poo poo, hit me up. I don't know anyone there.

Keep an eye on the race thread, there's tent spots at the circuit supposedly though I think those are going for 30$ a pop... Keep an eye on the racing thread, supposedly there's going to be a meet up.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

Holy poo poo. That Saxby's by my house closed.

What will Padre do?

No poo poo? The baristas there were drat cute too. There's another coffee/pastry shop just a block or so north on Midway:
iheart Kolaches
13901 Midway Rd
Dallas, TX 75244

There's always the Starbucks for overpriced burnt roast too.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Hey Kuffs, what bluetooth system do you use when you ride? I've been looking at the Sena SMH-10 systems.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

That's exactly what I have. The user interface is just spectacular. Battery lasts me a good two weeks of commuting with music. Speakers could be a little nicer on the low end at higher volume levels, but I can cope.

Cool, now to see if the wmj-20 systems are coming out any time soon. And to figure out how to get everything onto my iPhone without iTunes trying to take over my library of lovely music.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

This rain and cold weather can suck it. I needed some fair weather for a shakedown ride before the races this coming weekend.

Guess I may have to go get a new set of Frog Toggs.

Bypass the frog toggs and go to walmart and buy a cheap set of nylon rain gear. Just make sure it's not rubberized on the outside.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

I'm off in about an hour. Looks like I will be at T15 as well- so maybe we'll run into each other! Ride safe and enjoy the races, gents!

Picked you right out of the crowd. That roof helmet is too noticeable.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
How was your ride back Padre Scout? I got up early to get out and it started pouring out. Then came the hail and lightning and all. I said "Screw this." and waited until almost noon before I got on the road. Once I got on the highway I thought I was going to get blown off the back of the bike. The headwind was crazy, I was actually losing 4 - 5 MPG on the bike fighting the wind.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

I blew out on Sunday. Our seats were loving terrible, so me and the old man decided that we'd do better next year and get the gently caress out of Dodge while the getting was good.

To which end I got caught in a pretty severe storm in Waxahachie for an hour or two. Time kind of gets weird when you're soaked to the bone and standing around a little gas station with an attendant that doesn't speak English. But After the initial monsoon I managed to haul rear end up a gap in the clouds and made it back home without any more life threatening weather events.

Did inspire me to get a new helmet. Mine would spit water through the face vents onto my glasses and the inside of the visor. It got ugly there for a while, but I finally got it sorted with the visor just cracked open a hair - that way nothing fogged up but my glasses stayed dryish.

Rain stings like a motherfucker at 75 though.

I decided I'm meant to run around tracks though, so I'm currently blowing my polestar mapping money I've been saving for the meatball machine on new track compliant gauntlets (Held Phantoms) and a new lid ( Arai Signet Q). I'm hoping to make the Eagle Canyon RideSmart session here in June. Should be a hoot.

edit: gently caress! Also should have dragged you over to the parking lot to hear the Triumphs new pipes. I'm pretty happy with them.

extra edit: Who was the woman with you? New girlfriend?

What didn't you like about your seats? Where I was I could see the whole cornering complex on our end, though I wish I was about 10 or so rows higher so I could get pictures over the fence instead of through it.

Ha god no, that was my cousin. She's interested in bikes and racing but is a poor college student. With some of the things she's been through I try to help her out when I'm able to.

You're close by, let's get another ride going.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Padre Scout:

I was hip to that, I bought the cheapest seats as high as I could get them. We were only in row 6 but they were good enough to see much of the track.

Kuffs:

poo poo as long as we left around 10am I'm game. It's only a 4 hour run.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well, I'll bring the bike to work tonight, someone tell me in the morning where we'll meet up and I'll just tag along. (Meet at motoliberty?)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm going to be a bit late (20 - 30 minutes at the most)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

azzenco posted:

Need more details. How good of a rider do you need to be to join this crew? I'm in my first year and have about 800 miles of slow riding experience.

Today has been absolutely gorgeous.

You don't need to be very good. Today's was a good example, it was mostly two or more lane sweepers and wandering about. Probably going out on a trek like today's would have been great practice. Lots of mixed riding, and some experienced folks to help out of something goes wrong.

Keep watch here or suggest a route, get out and about some.

drat nice little ride. Smoked Gouda cheese sticks, drat tasty non-ring onion rings, pleasant day, good company and a small tour of an independent shop out near nowhere.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

"Nobody is out to impress anyone," well, Skreemer is. He did a patriotic tribute to the continental 48 states in the form of a 90 MPH rolling stoppie while standing on the seat of his Bandit that truly moved me. He was draped in an american flag, clenching a rose in his teeth. When he saluted me and that bald-eagle landed on his shoulder .. I nearly cried. Truly inspirational.

drat straight, though I may need to fire the eagle, it get spooked when I bring the rear tire down and digs his talons into my shoulder. It's just not as freedom loving as I am. (and it was a yellow rose, I had to set aside a small portion of the tribute to Texas itself)

azzenco posted:

Cool I ride on 183/114 but not too often. I still ain't used to crosswinds. I'll try to link up at the next one if it isn't too far away.

If you ride that corridor (through Irving I think), you should do fine on any of the highways we ride on. If you don't want to wait for the less patriotic riders I'm in Southlake and am off the clock from Saturday until Tuesday.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
2 things.

Saturday there's a small bike show/swap meet in Plano. Anyone want to go have a look?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mpo/4429457831.html

Sunday, there's been mention of hosting a MotoGP afternoon? Give me a place and I'll lend my video pass for the afternoon. The Moto3 race starts at 11:10, the Main GP at 13:05... I'm free all afternoon. (we can watch the races at any time those are just the official start times.)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Send me/us an address to gather at tomorrow. Email is "SA username" at gmail dot com.

I ended up going to the Show. It was pretty small but had some interesting bikes. Early 80's Hans Muth designed Katana, 1974 Ducati, a bunch of 60's and 70's trail/enduro bikes, a Matchless, and a some other stuff.

Afterwards I found a Bavarian restaurant and had some drat good rouladen.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Moto3 was plenty drat exciting, moto2 was unusually boring, and the first half dozen laps of the GP was way better than it usually is.

Thanks again Kuffs for hosting.

M. Night Skymall, let us know what rearsets you go with.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
So Gran Premio bwin de Espaņa this weekend? The race is at 7am our time, so any time during the day would work.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Sock Weasel posted:

My time period for riding around on my full UK motorcycle license over here is up so I need to do the tests. Do you guys have any personal recommendations on where to do my MSF? (Or... does it / the experience even vary between test centers?) I'm based in Arlington.

The MSF is a national curriculum and doesn't vary from state to state at all unless there's a specific requirement from the state, for example in Wisconsin because they like their drinking and driving so much I had to give a whole hour state specific "don't drink and ride" module. From what I recall you're more than competent/confident on a bike and don't "need" the MSF courses though they are great for refresher/confidence booster if you want to get more time in practicing "parking lot maneuvers".

If you take the test at a Harley dealer, it's no different than taking it from an MSF site. The "rider's edge" instructors go through the MSF course first and then is trained by Harley to sell bikes, usually sometime during class there's a tour of the local dealership and an introduction to their full array of products.

Another option is to just take the test at the DMV. It's similar to the MSF test in that it's mainly a parking lot maneuver test.

As an MSF instructor, if it's easier/cheaper for you to go through the DMV test and you just want another opinion on if you can pass the skills portion, I do have access to an MSF range in Southlake and can run you through a quick course/practice test. (Warning this would not be official and I am not licensed to instruct in Texas, I am only licensed to instruct in Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin.)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Sock Weasel posted:

Yeah, I e-mailed the DMV a few days ago asking what the hell to do with my UK license now and they replied telling me - complete with spelling errors - "To apply for a motorcycle license, you must first complete a motorcycle safety course approve by the motorcycle safety foundation. A complete list of certified locations is available on website, https://www.dps.texas.gov or by clicking here. After you complete the course, you will need to visit a driver license office and present your certificate of completion for the course, and you will be required to take a motorcycle rules written test and pay $16 fee." It does seem to be that I need to take the full course at an approved place. In that case then I'll just find one which has openings once I get my residency card through. :) That said - an unofficial run through at Southlake would have been hugely helpful and very much appreciated if I could have gone directly through the DMV. Thanks for the offer!

I think a Harley dealership would raise an eyebrow if I turned up for their course on my Ninja... but that is tempting. :v:

Hmm thanks for the note on the DMV/licensing. The three states i instructed for it was an either/or deal. Most folks opted for the MSF because the DMV only ran motorcycle testing once a week for 3 hours (it was almost impossible to get a test reservation through the DMV)

Of all things the bikes they use for instruction at the Harley dealers are Buell Blasts, a bike that hasn't been available for sale since 2009.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone need a cheap and dead easy to work on starter bike?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/4454304906.html

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
So... LeMans GP this weekend?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Works for me, see ya'll there (trying to learn to be texan or something)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

M. Night Skymall posted:

A network engineer on a DRZ400 is possibly the gooniest motorcycle rider of all time that guy should be on here.

Good times watching MotoGP as always, we still going to try to organize a group ride for next weekend?

The ride home was entertaining with the car carrier not knowing which exit to take.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Spankydoodle posted:

Hello Dallas riders! I am moving cross country to Dallas this weekend and hope join the ranks once I've settled in and purchased a bike down there and become comfortable with it. I just completed the MSF last weekend and I've been looking on Craigslist for an SV650. I don't know anyone in Texas besides a few friends that live in Austin, would it be possible to persuade one of you to look at bikes with me for road worthiness? I can compensate you.

I am available to assist if you need.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm in, give a when and where... (my shift ends at 10am.)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

Let's meet at Moto Liberty and plan to leave there at 11am. Revolver opens at noon, but the tour doesn't start until 1:30PM. Here's hoping that Padre can his appliances before then!

OK good deal. Hopefully I won't have a customer issue like last time.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
For me it wasn't fog, the water had misted so bad I had tiny beads of water covering my shield on the outside. I just forgot to wipe it down with rain-x. The brewery was entertaining. Other than home brewing I'd never been in one that was basically a one room operation.

Of all things for rain gear for many years I just wore something like this:

reflective rain suit
"golf" rain suit

As long as they aren't rubber (which melts against the engine at even an incidental touch) I've had decent luck.

Another option is to coat stuff with something. In the past I've used camp dry. It works OK but you need to re-apply it all the time.
I've seen never-wet but haven't had a chance to try it out.

http://www.neverwet.com/

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Italian Grand Prix this weekend. Anyone up for it?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Hell I'm up for a ride over the weekend, I can watch the GP anywhere/anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
About the same for me, post a time and where and I'll show up.

• Locked thread