Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thats part of the Ladies and Sister Stalkers - LASS (Female Player Outfit/Leg models and Voice Mod) on the Gamma Discord. Though those specific nails are ones I made/painted myself :biglips:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Very nice

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Grok should really add a medic to the Rookie Village or The Farm in Cordon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Grok should really add a medic to the Rookie Village or The Farm in Cordon.

Real Stalkers rub some dirt on it then drink an entire bottle of vodka.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I kinda like that not everywhere has easy access to stuff. Clear sky has it all in one spot but their base is a pain in the rear end to get to, rookie village is really safe, but you trade off that by having to travel back and forth for stuff. Garbage is Garbage, Jupiter and Zaton have everything close but their areas are actually dangerous, etc etc.

Your medic is lining the inside of Sidorovich's pockets with rubles.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

dogstile posted:

I kinda like that not everywhere has easy access to stuff. Clear sky has it all in one spot but their base is a pain in the rear end to get to, rookie village is really safe, but you trade off that by having to travel back and forth for stuff. Garbage is Garbage, Jupiter and Zaton have everything close but their areas are actually dangerous, etc etc.

Your medic is lining the inside of Sidorovich's pockets with rubles.

unless you're friendly w/ Duty then you just setup shop in Rostok and you're set for pretty much everything

honestly I hardly ever remember to use medics. im the cheap motherfucker that will spend minutes next to a campfire for the free regen while I already have 10 medkits and 300k rubles in the bank though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The downside of rostok is that the mechanic and the trader are annoyingly far from eachother and you have to put up with Duty :v:

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Lol. I do find that annoying as well, but it is possible to “not shoot” Duty if you put your mind to it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Hm.

No

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Did Agroprom used to have a loner base in one of the games? That camp area they often hang out in the northern section of that area has a building with an upper float that totally looks like it has spots for a couple merchants behind counters.

It’s been a long time since I played the originals so I can’t remember.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did Agroprom used to have a loner base in one of the games? That camp area they often hang out in the northern section of that area has a building with an upper float that totally looks like it has spots for a couple merchants behind counters.

It’s been a long time since I played the originals so I can’t remember.

In Clear Sky, there are Loner vendors there.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
The newbie village in Cordon is a liminal space, a waystation, a tourist trap. It's no one's destination but the unprepared and unlucky may find themselves stuck there, so it only makes sense that the services are limited and come with a healthy markup. Sid is doing the hard work of greasing the right palms to keep the Military from ventilating every would-be hard-rear end and has-been in the place. He's a humanitarian if anything, but not above lining his pockets with the coins of those who can't hack it in the real zone.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Am I a joke to you, Sakharov?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
He pays you for the job anyway so joke's on him, I guess.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I am currently in the “lug guns and ammo up to the outskirts” stage for the big assault on Pripyat and the CNPP. Naturally, this is when all the monolith and sin baddies i encounter are carrying artifacts that i literally cannot take with me as I am too over encumbered. Goodbye, money.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Really fallen in love with this PP-2000 I salvaged earlyish in my current run. I've come to realize 9x19HP, while no .45 Hydra-shock, is not a bad mutant killing around afterall. I really wish I could get rid of the burst fire setting though, all I need is single and full auto.

Its now in my Top 3 SMGs alongside the UMP-45 and SR-2M as a nice middle ground between the two extremes of "only kills mutants good" and "only kills stalkers good".

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 25, 2024

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played stalker since back when it was "new" but I saw this thread and thought I'd give gamma a try, and I'm completely lost. Don't know if I just have forgotten how to play stalker or if it is gamma but I don't understand how I'm supposed to heal myself, or find some better guns.

As an example, I found a svu in the swamp which needs a new gas system, which I have in my stash, but I can't find, or find enough stuff to make, the correct repair kit. Do I have to drag all the stuff around with me to the various parts of the zone to check out all the traders for the remaining parts for the repair kit, or is there an easier way to do this that I have missed?

And how does healing work in gamma, so far I've only found that I can heal by eating, by paying doctors, or by hanging around the campfire, but as far as I can tell I haven't found any "fast healing" med-kits that can be used in combat?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah Gamma is sort of the deep end of stalker nodding . Your in game PDA has some guides on this sort of stuff that might help.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

I seem to recall you guys talking about climbing being added in a recent GAMMA update, or did I dream that?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

MadlabsRobot posted:

I haven't played stalker since back when it was "new" but I saw this thread and thought I'd give gamma a try, and I'm completely lost. Don't know if I just have forgotten how to play stalker or if it is gamma but I don't understand how I'm supposed to heal myself, or find some better guns.

As an example, I found a svu in the swamp which needs a new gas system, which I have in my stash, but I can't find, or find enough stuff to make, the correct repair kit. Do I have to drag all the stuff around with me to the various parts of the zone to check out all the traders for the remaining parts for the repair kit, or is there an easier way to do this that I have missed?

And how does healing work in gamma, so far I've only found that I can heal by eating, by paying doctors, or by hanging around the campfire, but as far as I can tell I haven't found any "fast healing" med-kits that can be used in combat?

There's an in-game manual ("Guide" in the PDA) that explains a lot of this stuff, as do loading screen messages.

You can replace gun parts in the field without a kit. You can use "field strip" to remove a part from a gun and then just drop that part onto another gun. So in the case of your SVU, just drop the new gas system on the gun in your inventory. This does make the gun a little dirtier though - lowering the overall condition. You can avoid the loss in condition by using a workbench and a toolkit to swap parts around, but it's not a huge penalty when you can get a better gun up and running.

For healing, there are two kinds of healing items - first aid (bandages, medkits) and post healing (ibuprofin, yadulin). You use the first aid to restore yellow (temporary) health to extremities and then use the post-heal item to restore the temporary health to normal health. You will probably often do this in combat, while cowering behind cover.

There are also Stimpacks which can be purchased, found, or crafted which are meant specifically for combat healing. The basic one fills your base HP very quickly and the more advanced versions do first-aid and post-heal. Additionally there are even more powerful medical items, the best (?) being a syringe called Rebirth that does full first aid and full post-heal, much like visiting a doctor.

I personally tend to craft and stockpile the mid-grade (military) stimpack and bind that poo poo to F3. That being said, even in the late game my most frequently used medical items are bandages to staunch bleeds and fentanyl to post-heal limbs and torso.

Paying a doctor for a full heal is almost always the best choice if you have the option, as their fee is about the same as a single bandage or medkit.

spechtie posted:

I seem to recall you guys talking about climbing being added in a recent GAMMA update, or did I dream that?

You can mantle now just by jumping towards a ledge. It really adds a lot to the platforming and stash-hunting. There are still invisible walls everywhere though.

moller fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 30, 2024

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
I checked out the guide and I think I have started to get a hang on the basics of maintenance and repairs. I don't really understand how the condition of a gun works though. I tried to fix up a pistol by swapping out parts and cleaning until each part was at 99%, but couldn't get the
overall condition higher than 55%. I used it for a while and overall condition dropped to 54% and when i then cleaned it again the overall condition increased to 64%. Exactly what determines how high I can get the overall condition, is it connected to items with "repair bonus"?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Think of the amount General condition of the weapon as another part or the “frame” of the weapon. It’s health is independent of the other parts. If the overall weapon condition is below 85% it has a chance to damage the internal parts when being used, knocking off a number of condition points off one of them all at once rather than a slow wearing of condition like usual.

A technician will sell a variety of cleaning sprays and oils that can be used to restore the frame condition from various levels. If you started as a Loner in Cordon the most likely accessible tech is Xenotech Omar the Farm in the northern end of Cordon or Mangun in Rostok/The Bar.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Rebought the trilogy on PS5 and I’ve come across an annoying bug trying to get the Boss trophy in CoP. I’ve literally never sided with Bandits on any quest ever. So I started a new game, went straight to Sultan, finished The Hit, felt horrible, started Transaction. When the deal goes south, as soon as as I shoot the mercs or Morgan the bandits turn hostile. Focusing on the loners and letting the bandits take the mercs ends with no one acknowledging the quest. I restarted and tried again but this time bandits don’t go hostile but I get a “quest failed” message when I blast Morgan. It’s my last trophy too :(

Edit: Well it worked after I got home from work today, now just to collect the stupid detectors and I’m platinum

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 1, 2024

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Lol, Anomaly has an april fools easter egg in it, the load screen replaces all uses of anomaly/anomalies with amomawy/amomawies

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Killswitch posted:

Lol, Anomaly has an april fools easter egg in it, the load screen replaces all uses of anomaly/anomalies with amomawy/amomawies

I remember the in-game radio chatter also having an uwu filter applied at some point, possibly for April fools.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MadlabsRobot posted:

I checked out the guide and I think I have started to get a hang on the basics of maintenance and repairs. I don't really understand how the condition of a gun works though. I tried to fix up a pistol by swapping out parts and cleaning until each part was at 99%, but couldn't get the
overall condition higher than 55%. I used it for a while and overall condition dropped to 54% and when i then cleaned it again the overall condition increased to 64%. Exactly what determines how high I can get the overall condition, is it connected to items with "repair bonus"?

Guns are weird.

So, with armour, the internal parts all add up to the condition of the armour itself (and its why its so easy to get suits up and running, because once you get armour up to 55% or something, you can use a kit to just boost everything in it to 100%).

With guns, the internal parts are separate from the condition. Take a pistol with 3 parts, you can a gun with everything at 99% and a barrel at 61% and it'll still have the gun at 20% or so. You can remove the barrel, clean it and get that to 100%, the gun itself still needs to be brought up in condition.

It's also why you can occasionally have a gun at 100% condition jam occasionally, because it'll have a hosed trigger/spring. You can see that by hovering over it and you'll see "dirty x" on the part you have to clean.

moller posted:

For healing, there are two kinds of healing items - first aid (bandages, medkits) and post healing (ibuprofin, yadulin). You use the first aid to restore yellow (temporary) health to extremities and then use the post-heal item to restore the temporary health to normal health. You will probably often do this in combat, while cowering behind cover.

I mostly just keep things in yellow health until combat is actually over because i know the moment i make it perm health i'm getting shot in that bodypart again.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
drat. I lost my bandit ironman playthrough after many days and significant progress last night. Absolutely going through stages of loss over.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

And just how stupid and preventable in hindsight was your death? :v: thats always the best part of Ironman runs in game, you'll survive situations you had no right to, only to die to the stupidest thing hours later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
My death was part cockiness to not clear around the factory first, part ambush. Also I was in an exosuit with out servos so i couldn’t outrun the grenade that ultimately got me.