Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
That sounds like a really good set of changes.

e: From the last page

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think Grok was considering adding quest asking for gunsmithing kits but afaik has not yet.

Change of plans for the future update:

quote:

For the next update I wanted to make armor balance my priority, but I think the artefacts system is not good enough to start balancing armors around it.

I will thus rather focus on changing the artefacts system to make it more appealing and engaging, as well as less RNG.

The melter charges system will be abandoned because I think it adds too much micromanagement for a lot of people.

Artefacts will be able to be sold no matter their condition. That way it’s the player choice to make a bit of cash, or keep the artefacts for later use.

Instead of requiring 2 artefacts to make 1 artefact of higher tier, the recipes will convert 1 artefact of one tier, to one artefact of a tier above, by using mutant parts in the recipe. By doing this the upgrade path of artefacts will be clearer and less RNG. And this will also properly gate artefact crafting progression because some strong mutants don’t really spawn in the South. This will also push the player to keep certain mutant parts, and actively hunt mutant to craft better artefacts. I always wanted mutant parts to be used as something else than money maker, and this is the perfect opportunity.

T3+ artefacts (Snowflake, Full Empty…) will be removed from the fields spawns. But artefacts in the north will spawn with higher conditions. A general sentiment is that artefacts hunting is only valuable in the north because you can find T3 artefacts. This won’t be the case anymore.

Map based artefacts conditions: artefacts will spawn with higher condition in the north maps compared to the south maps. This means artefacts hunting will still be quicker in the north, but to go to T3 and T4 artefacts (compass…) you will need to craft them.

Detectors will passively beep in your pocket (MCM configurable) so you won’t miss artefacts in the field.

Overall I think this will push the player to get faster into artefacts crafting while making the endgame artefacts a bit longer to make, while making it less frustrating (that one single artefacts you need to upgrade your T3 artefact that never drops), and while making mutant parts actually useful.

I think that after the first iteration, some balancing patches will be rolled out, especially to nail the number of mutant parts needed for the artefacts crafting. I hope a majority will like the changes.

Speaking Grok he announced some upcoming changes he has planned for artefacts. The melter is going away.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My main complaint about artifacts was that collecting them was entirely pointless in the early/mid game. There was nothing that could be done with an artifact without a whole lot of effort so just leave them where they lie.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Interesting, thanks for confirming, thought i was going crazy that i was missing some merchant somewhere who would pay $$$ for extra gunsmith kits.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Killswitch posted:

Interesting, thanks for confirming, thought i was going crazy that i was missing some merchant somewhere who would pay $$$ for extra gunsmith kits.

Mechanics specifically do pay quite a bit for them

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Makes sense, thanks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Were these part repair kits always this cheapish/easy to craft? This could make getting guns with decent barrels up and running a lot easier. >20% is a lot more common than >60%.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That looks significantly easier than I remember, yeah. I don't recall what it used to be, other than it was prohibitively expensive; I'd never make universal part cleaning kits myself.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think if stalker 2 is good ill probably do one run of it using mostly default values/settings and then all my runs after will include carry weight 999999999999 kg modifiers. reading about carry weight issues is bringing back trauma.

how did that one recent story based stalker mod turn out? I remember initial impressions were pretty glowing. but i don't know what happened after that and what the name was.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

buglord posted:

I think if stalker 2 is good ill probably do one run of it using mostly default values/settings and then all my runs after will include carry weight 999999999999 kg modifiers. reading about carry weight issues is bringing back trauma.

how did that one recent story based stalker mod turn out? I remember initial impressions were pretty glowing. but i don't know what happened after that and what the name was.

The mod is called True Stalker, but I haven't played it yet.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

buglord posted:

Was carry weight even that big of a deal in non-modded stalker?

I'm only having carry weight issues because i'm dismantling 80,000 things and hoarding it, you don't do that in base stalker at all.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

dogstile posted:

Was carry weight even that big of a deal in non-modded stalker?

I'm only having carry weight issues because i'm dismantling 80,000 things and hoarding it, you don't do that in base stalker at all.

Definitely was, iirc original SOC didnt have any vendor limits on gun condition so lugging all the guns back to Sid or Barkeep was your primary income source in early game

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Huh, weird. I didn't really notice, i did all of my money gathering via artifact stuff.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I recall when playing SoC shortly after release that I dedicated all of my artifact slots to stamina recovery (and/or carry weight?) because otherwise you could only sprint for a few seconds before having to stand still and catch your breath. It was a maddening mechanic in a game with so much backtracking and traversal.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

And late game you'd want to take hundreds of rounds with you if you were using a gun that probably couldn't use looted enemy ammo, and that adds up fast.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

aniviron posted:

And late game you'd want to take hundreds of rounds with you if you were using a gun that probably couldn't use looted enemy ammo, and that adds up fast.

How we much am I you think you need for it, bring even more

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I can’t believe that brainscorched mumbling is going to be my legacy as a Stalker. :v:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

buglord posted:

How we much am I you think you need for it, bring even more

A true STALKER's motto.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

What are you, deaf?
What are you here?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think next time I start a new game I'm going to give myself a self-imposed rule of no using Repair Kit Charges to magic a replacement weapon part out of thin air.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can’t believe that brainscorched mumbling is going to be my legacy as a Stalker. :v:

lol i missed the post it came from and always assumed it was from a bad translation in some submod or something. it's better knowing it was a goon

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wafflecopper posted:

lol i missed the post it came from and always assumed it was from a bad translation in some submod or something. it's better knowing it was a goon

Nope, it was me posting on my phone right before going to bed having just gone through brainscorcher late at night and running afoul of both a burnt brain and my phone's autocorrect.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Oh man, I spent way too much time standing in the gravity anomaly in Agroprom (the one with the arching fingers overhead) with a Svarog wondering why the two artefacts that show on the screen weren't appearing on the ground at all before I thought "maybe I should look up?" How embarrassing. Got a Goldfish and a Wrenched out of it at least. :hurr:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R I obsessed about keeping my base loadout lightweight so I could run 5% further before running out of stamina.
This was cancelled out by also wanting to carry more ammo than anyone could ever possibly need*.

* I needed every single round

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Were these part repair kits always this cheapish/easy to craft? This could make getting guns with decent barrels up and running a lot easier. >20% is a lot more common than >60%.

Ok never mind this apparently the tooltips is incorrect and this is basically a worthless repair kit!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok never mind this apparently the tooltips is incorrect and this is basically a worthless repair kit!

Are you sure? They used to be pretty good?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I loaded my inventory with parts of all sorts at various condition levels, the only thing that came up were my guns.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Must have changed it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So ofc no sooner do I start a new game with that little self-imposed rule than the game just drops an beat up ADAR in my first gold stash. I didn't even realize that ADARs were in Gamma now. Also got lucky with a very early TOZ-194 drop so I could get a set of tools from Hip.

Thankfully a couple days worth of checking the techs in Cordon, Swamps, Yantar, Rostok, and Warehouses scored me the various parts I needed to repair it (as always, I play on the harshest progression difficulty setting). Also got a pump shotgun I can repair if I managed to find a K barrel and pump handguard. I'll have a very nice early game setup with that, other than not having very reliable access to 5.56 ammo yet save the 5.56HP that Butcher (finally) sells. ngl though, if I could, I'd totally try to barter the ADAR for a 9mm SMG or something. Who wants to trade me a PP-2000 for it? :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 19, 2024

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

moller posted:

I recall when playing SoC shortly after release that I dedicated all of my artifact slots to stamina recovery (and/or carry weight?) because otherwise you could only sprint for a few seconds before having to stand still and catch your breath. It was a maddening mechanic in a game with so much backtracking and traversal.

Mine was the one that got rid of radiation, then just carry weight. But I always ran super light up until end game.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
loving lmao, i got rocket launchered by monolith. In the garbage.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

RPGs in this are so stupid. Especially during the barrier defense. drat near unavoidable death. Even when I take cover I usually get exploded if the cover isn’t actually a good distance in front of me.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Are RPG's on in default gamma? I see the ammo around but i've not seen one being used.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Honestly thought it was hysterical, never encountered one during the brain scorcher assault, usually only see them in the stereotypical pypriat stadium battle. But no, eat a rocket in the garbage, where you almost never see monolith, period.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

dogstile posted:

Are RPG's on in default gamma? I see the ammo around but i've not seen one being used.

Monolith have them. You’ll usually first see them at the barrier defense missions. They’ve got them at the NPP too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Huh, weird. I fought through the whole place without seeing one.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I guess it's just random chance. I've finished one gamma run and done a fair share of the north in another, and aside from ammo, I've yet to see an actual RPG, on enemies or as loot

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Do a barrier defense mission (not the story one, the one where Lukas calls for volunteers on the radio) and the Freedom troops will actually call out with scripted messages when the zealots send in RPGs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nothing like getting an early "60+ good barrel" drop on a high end piece of gear and then scrounging more parts to repair it with. Bless the extended AK family having pretty much completely interchangeable parts in this game. I don't even have a PSO or Tulpan available to buy to put on this thing lol, but I'll manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
What submod for the painted nails?