Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007
Is this your homework Larry?
Awesome OP. The only thing I take issue with is recommending Complete. If somebody is looking for a mod to use on their first play through of SoC I say nothing fits the bill better than Zone Reclamation Project. Bug fixes, and a true vanilla+ experience not Complete's significantly easier experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007

Horns posted:

Yeah, repair costs are insane. It's usually much cheaper to buy the gun new from Owl than it is to pay Cardan to repair it if it's >30% condition. It's always cheaper to repair poo poo yourself, though, unless it's just minor maintenance.

And seriously, cocaine is fantastic. Weighs nothing, increases carry load and endurance, and stops bleeding. Ephedrine does all the same stuff better and is quicker to use, but rarer and more expensive.

Don't use anti-rads, they're terrible. Smoke tobacco instead.

Nthing never not use cocaine. If you're not running around like Rick James through the zone picking up everything you can to sell for peanuts to Beard and Owl you're playing wrong.

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, I usually try to avoid duke-it-out firefights as much as possible, as getting shot in the head tends to end you pretty fast. I don't know if that is because I play on the hardest difficulty, or because I rarely wear exoskeleton armor. I usually end up running around in a SEVA suit and headshotting with a Vintorez. Normally a shotgun for anti-mutant backup.

Wonder how far I could get with just pistol/smg/shotgun, or with LMGs.

When I'm playing Stalkersoup I usually gravitate to Vintorez for the rifle, SR-3 Vikhr for a pistol/cqb weapon and a Saiga for mutants. So much fun to be had.

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

I did play quite a bit of SoC, I got to the bar, did a whole lot of quests after that, including something about a... military base? plans? I ended up getting into some sewers where something attacked me :gonk:

Then I went back to the bar, went to look for a scientist, and my quest marker glitched and kept pointing at the entrance to the trainyard area, got kinda fed up and never came back to it. :I

If the extra gameplay stuff can be turned off and just the eye candy working, I'll probably end up using this one, I'm a sucker for moody weather in videogames.

Ah, so you got to I'm assuming the agroprom underground, then were given the quest to go to the wild territory and save Kruglov from the merc ambush to get to Yantar and lab x-16. I'd really suggest giving SoC another go round with something like the Zone Reclamation Project installed. None of the other games really touched just how fantastic the first game was in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I love CoP and to a lesser extent CS, but the level of exploration available in SoC is just amazing.

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007

Rob Ford posted:

Holy poo poo, this loving game.

I tried Shadow of Chernobyl and Prypyat way back when, and quickly stopped cause I found the combat impossible, and the rest boring.

So if I want to try again, and I dont' give a poo poo about "realism" or re-playability, what loving mods am I supposed to be using these days to make the game shiny and fun?

I just want the atmosphere that the reviews always promised, but that I never saw cause the game itself was frustrating as gently caress.

Just download the Complete mod for SoC since it sounds like you want the atmosphere of STALKER with easy mode difficulty. Also, at least in SoC you'll want to play on Master difficulty since the three lower ones have a certain percentage of shots that should hit not register in what I assume was supposed to be a safety factor for the player, but the setting applies to enemies as well. Basically, the lower you set the difficulty, the more shots that should "hit" will count as a miss.

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007
The only reason I suggested Complete was because it makes the game easier and makes the enemies drat near blind and deaf at night. By all means download ZRP, it's a far more customizable experience than Complete. I actually find Complete to be garbage, but since he had said he found the combat impossible, I was literally looking for the most easy mode mod out there, which just so happens to be complete more or less.

thekimjong-illest fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 19, 2014

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Installing multiple versions is fine.

There's actually been a shift in the SoC russian community where more and more mods are being made for 1.0006 (the steam version) thanks to various hacks to the engine. 1.0004 is largely considered outdated now, but there's still a few mods that only really work well on it.

the fsgame.ltx will allow you to specify where the config files go (top line) for that particularly version so that shouldn't be a problem.

This. I've got four or five installs of SoC, mostly for a few mods I dont want to have the hassle of uninstalling (anything that adds .dbx) files. I've also got two CoP installs. The only thing you've got to do, at least in my experience, is find the game in the registry and delete the entry for it or just edit the install location.

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Misery 2.1: CARDAN DOESN'T WANT TO PUT UP WITH YOUR poo poo THAT'S WHY DADDY HE DOESN'T LOVE YOU

Holy poo poo, I forgot the absolutely pants on head retarded rationalizations they came up with for the bullshit aspects of Misery 2. I really fail to see how spare parts for an AK series weapon would be hard to come by in the zone, seeing as it's in a former Soviet bloc country.

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Just gave them a bug report of an easily repeatable, testable crash that is consistently happening no matter what I do, what tweaks I use, or what have you.

The response?

"Looting boars does not crash. Nor looting any other beings."

Yeah, gently caress them.

Completely Reinstalled Call of Pripyat, used the full version of Misery 2.1, then trying with the upgrade patch applied ontop to make sure there's no files that haven't made the jump, have tried it with the "fix" and without the fix, and every single time it crashes. The response is to stick their fingers in their ears and say "Not happening!"

I never did particularly like the team making Misery, the name alone "True Zone Projects" is bad enough. That they refuse to listen to reason and actual evidence is just icing on the cake.

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007

Avocados posted:

Why is GSC apparently not backing LA anymore because of the leak? Isn't that a little much? I'd like to imagine that response was a little reactionary and things will eventually go back to plan once the dust settles, but I feel like I'm missing something.

GSCs whole beef with LA was that it was still buggy and they wanted the game to give more information to the player. So I could see the release (albeit leaked) of an incomplete build of the mod making GSC leery of officially backing the mod.

Which is hilarious considering how buggy vanilla SoC and Clear Sky are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007

Ddraig posted:

You'd be amazed some of the poo poo you can do with it. The dude did say he did it while he was bored and ill, though.

The x-ray engine is ridiculously versatile. Some of the poo poo Russian modders do with it amazes the hell out of me.