Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Roman posted:

Is there a mod to put JUST 2.0's visual changes into the regular game? Not just the Atmosfear stuff?

Absolute Nature then select the "dead" preset for everything should get you pretty close. That's just for environmental stuff like trees and grass, though.

Horns fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
The food thing is idiotic. Why are they in the mod at all? No vendor would logically buy tainted food for any reason. No stalker worth his salt would be carrying it around. Are they only there to be found in stashes? As if finding stashes with nothing but soiled underwear and three dead bullets weren't bad enough, now the sandwich in it will kill you too. I kind of liked the silly amount of incidental food items, but now it really is just pointless bloat.

quote:

- Mechanics charge significantly more for repairs and give smaller discounts

:what:

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I never really had any issues with Misery either, but it seems to turn some people into frothing maniacs. :ssj:

Frothing is a bit of an exaggeration. I just don't like the mod very much. It has a lot of great ideas and I love the atmosphere, but new mechanics are implemented poorly and balance is all over the place. Technically it can also be a real beast, bringing really powerful machines to their knees, not to mention the instability and save corruption still present. Stutter can be such a problem that they wrote an in-lore explanation for it.

But that's ok, there's plenty of other mods out there :buddy: I've been playing some of Lost World Origin for SHoC and really digging it. I wish it had a proper English translation (only the major quests have been Google Translated and are often really confusing) because it feels like everything I wanted Lost Alpha to be excluding graphical improvements.

e: well ok maybe Ddraig should chill out a little bit but he's not wrong

Horns fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 2, 2014

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Been playing Shoker Mod for CoP, it's pretty cool but this is what it looks like when I use my binoculars:

I've tried digging around in the mod files. The binoculars config file references a "wpn_crosshair_bino" texture, but I can't find it anywhere in the texture folder. Anyone know how to fix this?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Monolith. posted:

Shoot, I bought my PC to play Stalker on too. How weird.

Same, more or less. I spent about $700 and it handles SoC and CS fairly well for the most part, LA gets about 50FPS+ at all times after some tweaking, but it really chokes on certain CoP mods. The stuttering is the worst part. Speaking of which, does an SSD make any noticeable difference for stuttering?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Those of you playing LA, are there any features in other mods you like that you would like to see in LA? Within reason, of course, I'm not going to try and port stalkersoup over :v:

Freeplay would be amazing, like something similar to Doom's Mod Merge for SoC. Hell, it doesn't even need to be that complicated, just remove the main story and level changer restrictions (DMM lets you name your character and pick a faction, adds new vendors, etc.). I just want to go stalking in all those big beautiful maps. Of course, the main problem is filling all those maps with activity, because they were kind of barren the last time I played...

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I always take out the guys on the catwalks from the left side of the complex (nearest to the crashed heli in the swamp) using the big retaining walls for cover, then rush in through the break in the wall over to the trucks and sheds. The slope leading up towards the main building is great for cover and lobbing grenades from. Then it's usually just the leader and maybe one other mook in the building to take out.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

NeoSeeker posted:

Does SHoC have the biggest map? I seem to remember it having a bunch of big maps and a bunch of nook and cranny maps.

Pretty sure that even the largest SoC map doesn't approach the size of any of CoP's maps.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

NeoSeeker posted:

The entirety of CoP's maps doesn't come close to SHoC. Even if it does it doesn't have all those cool little pathway maps.

Not what I was trying to say. SoC obviously has more maps and is certainly bigger overall, but none of its individual maps are as big as CoP's Zaton, Jupiter or Pripyat.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Missing Name posted:

And yet, maybe it was just me, but the CoP maps still seemed too crowded.

I'm odd in that I like biiiiig areas to explore.

I don't think that's odd at all. Or maybe we're both odd. ;)

I'd kill for a STALKER game that was more of a happy medium between Roadside Picnic and the '79 film. Less straight up gunfights, more weirdness, solitary exploration, creeping dread and big open places to poke around; where every encounter with another living human is an extremely rare and life-or-death event (sort of like what the encounters in I Am Alive tried to be).

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I wanted to like Sky Anomaly but it is hands-down the most crash-prone mod I've ever played. I couldn't get more than 20 paces from the starting position before my first crash, and half a dozen more before I even made it to the Skadovsk. What little I got to see of the surreal new anomalies (Ghost truck and anomalous grave marker) was pretty sweet, though.

Ddraig, does your Misery add-on still have the SA anomalies?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Well, poo poo. Didn't think I'd ever reinstall Misery, but here I am...

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I was going to complain about the rate of knife degradation (even with a sniper it's a bit too fast), but hopefully raising the price on mutant parts balances that out.

Misery is... alright now? The economy changes in 2.1.1 make earning cash a much less tedious experience, new anomalies make exploration more interesting and unpredictable, more music (I got pretty stoked when It Was A Good Day started playing, and like all the audio "glitches"), new flavor stuff is cool...

gently caress, looks like I'm dragged back in.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

EvanSchenck posted:

I decided to give it a try but I'm kind of put off by how truly insane the economic model is--and you say this is improved over how it was?

Yeah, mechanic repair prices are still loving absurd but the rest of the economy in 2.1.1 definitely feels more manageable compared to 2.1.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Oh right, I forgot that I'm using rookie mode as well. Standard is just silly. Even in rookie mode some of the damage resistance on NPCs seems excessive. Trying the Water Plant mercs and the guys in standard stalker suit style outfits require 3 or more body shots with a high-caliber rifle (head shots are at least a guaranteed kill, though).

edit: Yo Ddraig

quote:

FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression : !m_error_code
[error]Function : raii_guard::~raii_guard
[error]File : D:\prog_repository\sources\trunk\xrServerEntities\script_storage.cpp
[error]Line : 748
[error]Description : ...call of pripyat\gamedata\scripts\itms_manager.script:241: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'mut' (a nil value)

stack trace:

Getting this crash when trying to loot izloms. Specifically the ones hanging out behind the Iron Forest, if that matters (they're the only izloms I've come across so far).

edit 2: Also found an exploit: ARS adds the option to refill flasks; if you have an empty flask and talk to Beard, you can fill the flask, but immediately after filling it another empty flask will show up in Beard's inventory - buy that and you can fill it again, which will cause another empty flask to be available for purchase, fill that, buy another one, fill it, etc. Buying the flask and filling it is 190RU; the full coffee flask sells back to Beard for about 4400RU. Really easy way to make a poo poo load of extra cash, I was up to 100K after just a minute or two.

Horns fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 27, 2014

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Got another crash log for ya

quote:

FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression : !m_error_code
[error]Function : raii_guard::~raii_guard
[error]File : D:\prog_repository\sources\trunk\xrServerEntities\script_storage.cpp
[error]Line : 748
[error]Description : ...call of pripyat\gamedata\scripts\itms_manager.script:241: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'add' (a nil value)

stack trace:

Getting this when trying to loot mutants with the NR-40 knife.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Would it be possible to add an upgrade tree to the military binoculars to have NPC identification brackets and zooming? Seems kind of silly that it takes up a weapon slot but is no more functional than a rifle scope (less functional in some cases since you can upgrade some sniper rifles to have adjustable scopes).

Also scripting chat is fascinating. I really hope the source code leak leads to people fixing some of the biggest nagging issues with these games like stutter and broken stealth.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Swartz posted:

So, I have it on good authority that the wait for Call of Chernobyl won't be much longer if you're looking for a huge freeplay sandbox in CoP.

If I remember correctly the OGSE team also said they'll release the new version this year complete or not, so there's that to look forward to as well.

Yesssss. I played a bit of the CoC beta back in April. It was pretty buggy (save corruptions, mostly) but I was really impressed with it overall, especially the scripting. Yantar was a goddamn warzone with dozens of Mercs, Ecologists and mutants running around and there was barely a hint of that signature STALKER stutter.

quote:

As some of you know I've been working with the CoP source code.
A quick question I have: would you guys be willing to endure longer loading times under DX10 & 11 if it meant having brand new shader effects under those modes? If not it means restricting new graphic effects to DX9. As for DX8/Static lighting I'm removing it entirely as it makes certain weapons chrome for people, and just generally attracts a lot of idiots on ModDB that don't understand why static lighting doesn't work well these days. I believe OGSE did the exact same thing.

What kind of new shader effects? Load times on DX10/11 are already brutal for me, but if it means better optimizations and eye candy in-game, then a little more loading isn't that big of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Misery isn't even all that difficult, it's just tedious. That's my biggest problem with it. loving everything takes way longer than it should, from simple things like eating a protein bar to putting an artifact into a container.