Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great OP, bad thread tag!
Playing Clear Sky again, I like it. Crossing my fingers I don't get hit with that save deleting bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndroidHub posted:

Did anybody ever try and make a Co-op campaign mod for SoC? I know it had some multiplayer deathmatch options, though a cursory google seems to say that a few people thought about it, but nobody actually did it. If there's anything like that around it would be great it know about.

I remember in the last thread someone mentioned that a few people are still very serious about their SoC/CoP clams.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Decided to play Misery again and patch it up. Got it to the 2.02+QF but it's still doing that loving head lamp bug. Any ideas on how to fix that? Will I have to revert to the previous patch or is it something I could just fix myself? I made sure that the battery drain option was off already.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobfather posted:

Do you mean that the lamp turns off really quickly?

If so, that's not a bug. The head lamp is an item that has to be bought and equipped before it can be used. For the mean time, I believe you get access to a lovely little lamp that goes into an item slot and can't be out at the same time as a weapon.

Wow hahah, I feel like a massive idiot. Time to get Ddraig's fix installed!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any tips for drawing out artifacts? CoP in particular.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killswitch posted:

I'm still really enjoying Misery 2.0.0 with no patches, y'all are just babies. Just don't try to talk to wounded NPCs and everything is great. Plus, the exosuit makes you nearly immune to most mutants :downs:

Enjoy any type of fire anomaly.
I will say that after patching up it looks like my flesh hunting ground got hosed up. That's how I made cash!

E: Holy gently caress is there something to to e the grenade tossing in Clear Sky down?

frank.club fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 24, 2013

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hahah this, a thousand times.

And thanks for the fix!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killswitch posted:

Yea, I don't get what people have against the fire anomalies in 2.0.0. I don't understand what is so disliked about "don't have proper protection? suck death." So you have to buy an ecologist suit, big deal. The thing is practically invulnerable to heat and toxic gas, just don't walk into burners. The weight of the suit kinda sucks, but I like how it basically forces you to choose between doing an artifact hunt or going out killing, although you could carry the suit with you for when you need it too if you don't value your stamina as much.

Unpatched Misery 2.0 had fire damage ignore any and all resistances.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killswitch posted:

In what sense? I can stand in the Circus Anomaly in an ecosuit and basically take no damage at all provided I don't wander right into a burner.

A lot of people (myself included) got shredded by fire stuff. The biggest example that came up was the Boiler Anomaly, where the two Stalkers are looking for artifacts. When you go to save the guy it proved very nearly impossible no matter what you were wearing. I remember a goon testing out going as bare minimum as he could and getting 100% fire resistance. There wasn't any difference in how much damage he took. It'd be interesting if that was really just some sort of bug between a lot of people.
The other one I personally know that shredded me was the Burnt Farmstead. Which was a bitch because you have to go there. If the Burnt Farmstead and Boiler don't give you any trouble then I guess you got a lucky install of 2.0.0. I guess the next thing I'd ask you check out would be the psy field on entering Jupiter Plant that wrecked me so hard I couldn't proceed.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I am a little jealous, then.

If there's anything I've learned after playing 50 hours in Misery, it's that in the Zone you need to concentrate on four things.

1. The things that kill you.

2. The things that almost kill you.

3. The things you kill.

4.The things you kill for.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Swartz posted:

Just thought I'd post a cool new thing Bangalore did that does the following:
1) Greatly reduces microstutter in the game
2) Decreases lag caused by lua files
3) Increased memory ceiling before a crash

http://www.mediafire.com/download/15brgil3s1z47rs/lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll

It works with CS and COP. Make sure you back up your original lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll.

Work with misery, too?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahah so I just got hit with 2 emissions in one day!

Ddraig I don't know if you're responsible for the radio freak out during the emissions but it no joke freaked me out.

E: Why is my Bear anomaly detector not showing me a green directional light but giving me distance beeps?

frank.club fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 29, 2013

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

Yes, the radio freak outs during emissions are my idea.

They cut out during emissions. During psi-storms (different from emissions), they switch to an "unknown broadcast" that's mostly comprised of various screams/radio noise and Russian Number Stations.

Most of them come from UVB-76 (The Buzzer), although the recordings are quite poor quality as I got them off youtube.

Incidentially, if you ever wonder what the deal with the mentions of "Woodpeckers" is all about in the loading screen text, it's a reference to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker

As far as I'm aware, this isn't actually in Misery 2.0 anywhere, just a reference to it. I quite like the idea of all these weird radio broadcasts somehow being linked to the original creators of the Zone, though.

If you're talking about the DLL that Swartz posted a link to, it goes into your bin folder. Make sure to back up the original, just incase.

What's the difference between a Pysi-Storm and an Emission?

E: It would've been a funny side mission to take down the woodpecker. Is it just coincidence that the station was there, or did it have everything to do with the CNPP.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 30, 2013

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

I managed to get it really, really cheap so I bought Chernobyl Underground.

It looks.. interesting.

I haven't mustered up the courage to play it yet, but the gameplay makes it look like something else, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX0Gtn1SK2M

e: God, this is terrible. I regret paying £2 for this.

New revision of the Unofficial Misery Patch coming up. I've updated the psi-storm radio files to be better quality. I've taken a few recordings of Russian Numbers Stations from the Conet Project. Also updated the UP to 0.3 which includes a few minor fixes (mainly to do with dialog). Two of the "major" changes include being able to sell Sokolov's note to Owl, and the gaping hole in the Ark being boarded up so it doesn't look so ridiculous when you hide in there during an emission.

Wow that game looks godawful. It looks like there's a slight resurgence of STALKER-esque games. Here's one I just noticed to day on the Steam store, Nether. An apparently urban survival FPS! I don't exactly have cash to try it and it is one of those pre-release games. But I figured someone in here might be interested. Also it doesn't look like HUD vomit like the game Ddraig was playing.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Swartz posted:

Odd, it should work. Maybe CS uses the dll in a different way. It was assumed that CS would work fine with it even though only COP was tested with it.

Looks like it's for COP only. Sorry about that, just went on what the author had said.

It does work well with Misery 2.0. It's not a total cure or anything but drat I really noticed things going smoother.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm playing Clear Sky complete and I'm noticing that my assault rifles weren't giving me much effort. I finally noticed during a fire fight as I aimed down the sights that my first bullet streaked about 30 degrees away from the barrel. Is there any reason bullets have issues going straight?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killswitch posted:

Guns in clear sky do gently caress all until you upgrade them, it's embarrassing.

Yeah, since I've posted I've upgraded my AK with two 50% 'flatness' upgrades and a muzzle velocity upgrade and now it kinda works.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well goddamn that sounds amazing. Look and feel of Misery without the ball crushing difficulty is a winner in my book.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eXXon posted:

CoP is $3 on Gamefly now. I guess I should go play it. I liked SoC but never finished Clear Sky what with the endless sniping from super-accurate night-vision'd jerks prior to Limansk or wherever it was I was supposed to go.

CoP is my favorite vanilla, and the only one I've also beaten vanilla if that counts for anything.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahah, when he turned around was he sporting the biggest :smug: ever produced in the zone?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ddraig, was it you or someone else that had a music fix for Misery? I'd kinda like having the whole song play instead of 20 seconds of it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'll be so polished we'll thrash it for being playable. And thus the STALKER ouroboros will be complete.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You'd have to also make a series of dialogue options with NPC's for that to work, otherwise it would be sorta a big gently caress you without much else.

Considering how loaded you can become in SoC

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you made me pick between a cat and a controller I'd pick cat any day.

I had no idea that poltergeist had a physical body in ShoC, shame it's not more obvious because it's loving creepy. It'd be cool if they were sometimes passive and just did scary poo poo.

And drat, I actually find all the C-Consciousness stuff very interesting, it's too bad ShoC is such a kick square in the balls and I never completed it. The end that is.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 12, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, it's pretty surprising when you kill one and their "true" body falls to the ground. I think a lot of the creepiness is derived from the fact that their appearance isn't obvious, and many people seem to deal with the glowing, intagible balls of light by simply running through the labs and avoiding them. So when they eventually realize they can kill them and finally see what they really look like, it's quite a surprise. I don't think it'd be as magical a reveal if it were more obvious.

That's what I did! It makes sense, the only thing that's bullshit is the poltergeist that is in some blocked off room in the lab that constantly throws poo poo at you. That was just really kind of grating and all of my scum saves from my time there are some iteration of "gently caress this place forever".

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy hell that unjamming bit made me flinch.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Haha, yeah, barrel nestled into my dick as jam the buttstock into the ground and stomp on the charging handle.

Definitely well-animated, though. I'll never deny more "Far Cry"-style first person animations like that.

Yeah it's impressive no doubt and Far Cry 3's weapons felt so good.

Roobanguy posted:

He's got 4 medkits, he'll be fine. :v:

The ultimate stalker mod would add a 0.01 percent chance of shooting yourself in the dick when unjamming.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know how well STALKER valentine's day cards would sell :v:.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cantorsdust posted:

(Let's) GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

"Baby you're hotter than a fire anomaly and I'm trying to Stalk that."

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"You're so hot, I have to wait for a patch so my protection will keep me from instantly dying when I'm inside you."

That's an ol' Misery 2.0 joke for ya. :tipshat:

"After I see you my weapon deterioration decreases."

"You must be a controller because I'm crazy for you."

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

A short while ago I had the idea of creating a mod for Misery that replaced the classes with Seinfeld characters.

I'm thinking: Jerry as the Sniper, Kramer as the Recon, George as the Assault.

I was also going to replace the character's dialog with dialog from Seinfeld to see if it could fit.

Kramer as anything other than assualt? Busting through the boat door. Beurers replaced with Newman.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

I was thinking Kramer being recon because he's rather wiley. George could work as Recon though, since even he doesn't want to be George.

I was thinking Sultan would be Newman. I guess it was funnier in my head, but given the ultra-serious tone they went for in Misery, having Seinfeld characters be plonked into the world with no real reference to them seemed hilarious to me.

Making the game over screen just the Soup Nazi guy would be pretty funny.

Finding sponge anomalies for stalker E. Boosler.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CoP stutters like a motherfucker on its own.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

I've got the Darkscape/Dark Hollow map and it's amazing how large it is. I guess I can see why they didn't include it, since cars are kind of wonky (I've hopefully fixed that, though)

The main quest section involves you driving a car, or a series of cars, from the Dark Valley to the Cordon while a military chopper pursues you and various military roadblocks are set up (including them pushing cars off the top of a bridge to block you)

There's a HUGE section of the map that is almost completely unused, though. A huge forest area with little camps etc.

Keep cars, I was fooling around in one in Oblivion Lost for SoC and hit one of the whirlygig anomalies, cue 7 seconds of airtime as I Tokyo Drift through open air.
Also drat does SoC become easier through just blind luck. I had kick-rear end weapon drops and often times I'll find anomalies just wondering around in the distance. Didn't even save scum x18, felt like a drat champion.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sulman posted:

Are you referring to the burner anomalies in the lab, or the super-soldiers that come for you afterwards? Because, drat, I didn't remember those soldiers being so drat tough before. I swear it's only later when you encounter the monolith guys you come across such hard targets.

Both. Of course I still have x16 left to do and I've never actually completed the game but this might be it. I don't know about my chances once I get to Pripyat. I only started this new game after my other Marked One came down with a bad case of 'annoying un curable swaying screen' syndrome in the city.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

There's a fun way to do the Dark Hollow. If you help Borov get the documents from the lab, and go back to him when the military arrive, I've made it so he'll give you the keys to his ferrari. I figure he's rich enough to have a few to spare.

It's the fastest car in the game but it's rather delicate. It does mean with some proper driving skills you can blaze past all the military checkpoints with ease.

Delicate? Dude I stabbed the steering wheel of a car and it blew up.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man I'm so close to beating Oblivion lost 1 or whatever.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robot Randy posted:

You dudes should check out Survarium, it's in CBT right now and it's pretty tight, $10 for early access and funbux, or you can enter a lottery for codes.

I heard it has no single player.

And is f2p

frank.club fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 24, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadBimber posted:

Website showing many pictures of the CNPP, this link specifically the construction of the sarcophagus. Lots of shots I've never seen before.

http://chernobylgallery.com/chernobyl-disaster/sarcophagus/

Who was the guy who took pictures of the inside of that place and how much lead did it take to bury him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avocados posted:

I just watched it right now. I found it pretty depressing :smith:. Wasn't there another doc floating around and it showed how all these areas since then have become super green and lush with wildlife strangely?

That and a pack of highly radio active wolves.