Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Look out for an updated version of the Misery Hotfix later on tonight.

By the way, it just goes to show the Misery team are a bunch of humourless bastards. I wrote a few stories for the Dialog Manager texts (the 'What's new in the Zone?' things) and this is one that was rejected by their 'language master':

Shoe Story

This wasn't considered appropriate :rolleyes:

Maybe next time I'll throw in a Better Nate than Lever variant.

Oh christ, that was beautiful. Do you have any more rejects?

Also, I seem to remember seeing a variant :ussr: except it was a stalker. Anyone have this saved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Acquire Currency! posted:

I remember a goon testing out going as bare minimum as he could and getting 100% fire resistance. There wasn't any difference in how much damage he took. It'd be interesting if that was really just some sort of bug between a lot of people.

I tested that in the burnt farmstead. Goddamn, was I pissed at Misery at that point. And yeah, every other page in the bug thread had a mention of "fire is poo poo" until they fixed it.

Now it actually does something, but I just use a SEVA when I know a fire bit is coming up.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Someone made a delightful little swf toy, EQUIP YOUR STALKER. Let's see what trainwrecks come out of it.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

awesomeness

This sounds great. The ending of the game always bothered me; it seemed halfassed. But now it might be worth looking into again.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

There is a mod out there with a badly animated sex scene :psyduck:

It was only a matter of time.

Except there aren't any women на Зона...

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Are you nuts, that's not far enough. Replace all humans with Sid and then substitute in the Controller or Pseudogiant model for the women.

HOWDY HO can stay, though.

:suicide:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

sobkas posted:

There is a music mix:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482049&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=164#post419567870
I had some problems with it...

Filenames of ogg files contain characters that somehow breaks sound_theme.script. Renaming them and then correcting sound_theme.script fixed this problem for me.

Huh, that's odd... I got them to work with my install. What kind of characters were verbotten?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

sobkas posted:

If I remember correctly: spaces, apostrophes, periods. Only numbers, letters and underscores didn't caused any problems.
Take a look at this script: http://goo.gl/gzymJB .

Spasibo, I will fix that in the next release. Already I've got something like 40 tracks for each radio.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

I've added in a few minor easter eggs from a few of my other favourite games. If you look hard enough in the Zone you'll be able to find Jorji Costava, or what's left of him

Please tell me he has a stash of some obscenely rare drug, and his PDA is the most cheerful thing you'll read in the Zone.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Aww, how adorable!

The already weird fanart is getting weirder.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Vorenus posted:

That is pretty weird, but for pure disgust GIS "Bloodsucker". Keep scrolling. You'll know when you've found it.

Are you referring to the one of the puddle of blood, the multiple sexy blutsaugers or the one with the fountain of oh god who did this why did they do that where is that all coming from

Also, have a burer mod.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

(Let's) GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

"Is that your artifact detector, or are you just happy to see me?"

"An emission is coming, if you know what I mean..."

"Wanna swap stashes?"

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Acquire Currency! posted:

Delicate? Dude I stabbed the steering wheel of a car and it blew up.

Remember, there was a point you could take out a BTR with your goddamn knife. A Ferrari ain't poo poo on an infantry carrier.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I wish I could play OGSE, but I can't install it correctly, even if I followed the directions.

Same issue with OL.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

MadBimber posted:

Whats the trouble? Do you have crashlogs? Are you trying to run on steam or a non-steam install?

Steam, did the regedit thing the OGSE 0.692 page said, and then crash upon starting. Warning message tells me something is wrong with a plugin, which one is unclear because there was a big long string of symbols cluttering the message. No crash log created. So I scrapped that plan.

Now I'm attempting to make OL 2 running, except the installation readme is also jumbled symbols. Not English, not Cyrillic, just Greek-y glossolalia. I used the version Swartz linked last page:

Swartz posted:

*Edit 2*
Here's a link to the GSC thread with a torrent, some fixes, and a translation: http://www.gsc-game.com/main.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr&thm_page=1&thm_id=22080&sec_id=17#372800

Cyrillic works, I can even switch between English and Russian keyboard software here.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I'm playing Autumn Aurora for SoC.

It's so pretty and the sounds are awesome :allears:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I realized why AA sounds so much more realistic than vanilla. Lots of sounds were taken from Battlefield Bad Company 2, which are far more on the realistic side of gunfire. No exaggerated booms for rifles and howitzers for handguns, no "pew pew" of silencers. No, we're talking sharp cracks and pops here.

Also, Acquire Currency, great loving avatar.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Has anyone here hosed around with Priboi Story?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Roadside Goonsnack

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

So, how do stashes work in this game? Can I pick any footlocker or cooler and put stuff in it (like, will it be there later), or does it need to be one of the purple icon'd things that show up on the map?

e: playing SoC, first time player, etc.

The only "safe" stashes are the BLUE LOCKERS that specifically say "Open the box" and have nothing in them the first time you check. There's one INSIDE Sidorovich's bunker, one in Rostok Bar, another in the Yantar lavatory. Those are the only three I can think of off the top of my head.

Be careful - there are other blue lockers in settlements that say "Open the box." They have randomly regenerating items and may delete what you stick in there. Examples include the box by the campfire in Cordon village, the locker in the vehicle graveyard in Garbage, the expert's locker in the Wild Territory...

The rest are called "stashes" proper and you might get your stuff wiped out if you put it in an "undiscovered" stash, which then later gets marked in your PDA. Once you loot a stash, it is not used again and you can put whatever the hell you want in that location. Just remember where exactly it was or it's lost to the Zone :devil:

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 23, 2014

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Speaking of stashes, is the box near Arnie in the Bar safe? I generally leave my things there because hey, the Bar is one of the few completely safe areas (if you don't piss off Duty) and it's convenient that it's literally across the street from 100 Rads.

That is specifically reserved for stuff you're not allowed to take into cage matches AKA your entire inventory at the time. End of fight, it's all there. Don't know what the chances of stuff getting deleted are.

Also, I love finding glitches and exploits in this game. Especially if they allow exploring inaccessible areas. I just wish I wasn't so loaded down with dead mercs' scalps loot and had to stop for breath every few yards.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

And there's the Ruger in Misery. It's a .357.

But yeah, a Nagant would be awesome. Or what about a Smith and Wesson Model 3 in .44 Russian or .44 Special? Too bad I have no idea how to model 3d things.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Sorry for dp, wanted to call attention to the MISERY changelog 2.1

quote:

- anabiotics now work properly, author: ddraig (Unoficial MISERY Patch)

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I can't tell yet. Can't download that through school bandwidth. I'll check later.

I wonder if they ever got around to using some of the sound effects I sent them a while back. Have a listen

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

AA adds in the Saiga. I can almost see it rust with every shot :allears:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I got yet another friend addicted to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

It took three years, but hey. Now he's becoming one with the Zone.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Or artifacts which are modified regular items. Not necessarily useful, but still in line with the Zone. Or maybe add some things from Roadside Picnic. Find them in stashes, or throw them around as tiny bits of scenery most people overlook. Higher prices from Scientists.

"This utensil kit was found in a Burner anomaly. The spoon seems warm to the touch, always. Other than that, it doesn't do anything. 100 RU."

"A long, thin shard of metal which sparks if flexed. Interesting, but little else. 1000 RU."

"A small, coppery ring which doesn't fit on your finger. However, it can spin on a table for hours. 500 RU."

"A pad of what seems like steel wool, but is actually rubbery to the touch. No known uses, but someone might want to study it. 250 RU."

I could think of this poo poo forever.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

"Cardan's Vodka: An anomaly because everyone thought he drank it all. 2000 RU."

"Pineapple: How the gently caress did this get in the Zone? Hawaiian better fess up. 1500 RU."

"Melted Boar Chop"

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Holy Bejesus Misery 2.1 is a mess.

The fixes they actually managed to fix in 2.0.2? Over half of them are not implemented. My anabiotic fix, which supposedly was incorporated, hasn't been. Over half the fixes from the Unofficial Patch that they say were incorporated... surprise, surprise haven't been. There's a bug that caused crashing if you tried to loot a mutant that was in 2.1's beta that has been fixed, but not included in 2.1

I guess the guys making this are looking to get into game development, but with a QA track record like this the only place willing to offer them a job might be Bethesda.

So the 1.1 gb file I downloaded isn't worth installing yet?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Their rating on ModB has dropped. I think I saw it up at 9.3 at its highest. Now it's dropped down to 8.7 :v: Rather substantial if you think about it

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Lots of it seems kind of repetitive, going by what I've found on youtube. Very slight variations on the same thing.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

CoP used to stutter a lot for me even on lowest settings. Good fps but every 15 seconds it freezes for a fraction of a second.
I used to think that it's because of my lovely CPU but I just upgraded my computer but the game still stutters in the same way.
Is it something specific to stalker games? I can't find any solution for that.

My current rig is i5-4670K CPU, 4GB DDR3 Ram, GeForce 560GTX. I can play pretty much anything on max settings but Stalker just doesn't want to stop stuttering.

video capabilites? I find that running 2.3gHz will give me optimal performance on "low."

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Of all the engines they could have used, it was... XRay?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I crashed as I walked out of Sid's bunker :saddowns:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

drat, this is pretty even on low graphics.

And I like the PDA overhaul. It lets me speak to people nearby.

And holy gently caress, I'm an idiot. In every game the PDA shows who is within "beep detector" range. Gives their names, ranks and affiliation. Even enemies. :cripes:

:speculate: edit: it came from facebook. safe stashes. WARNING: MAY BE SOME LOCATION SPOILERS, DON'T READ IF YOU WANT TO WING IT ANYHOW

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 30, 2014

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

KINO. You can't forget them.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I mainly like exploring poo poo. Which is why I have yet to finish Fallout 3 after all these years - something new comes to my attention while I walk the Waste. :v:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Also, just occurred to me; Do "flatness" upgrades for weapons improve damage as well or is that misremembering something? I figured it's boosting bullet velocity, should probably improve damage a bit so...am I wrong?

As far as I can remember, it just means the round becomes more accurate at longer ranges - you don't have to gently caress with aiming above the target as much. Kinda like below. Maybe they modify the rifling :confused:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Kind of related:

Nature's documentary on the Zone

See how many stock sounds used in this documentary also show up in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (I counted 3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

If you didn't think STALKER was creepy enough, why not add in a dash of traditionally unsettling Russian cartoon characters? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MW3iMsi204

Jesus loving christ. Why is he using a knife against that thing? Where is the lupara? Where are the grenades? WHERE IS THE PK?

bunnielab posted:

I went into some house by the train bridge and there was this freaky midget thing in there, shotgunned the hell out of it. What was that thing?

Yeah, I found it too. I had dropped my shotgun somewhere else, so I dug its eyes out with a knife. Still weird as poo poo.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 30, 2014