Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I am trying to play through Call of Pripyat for the first time right now. I forgot how much fun these games could be. I beat SoC years ago and loved it, but never finished Clear Sky or CoP.

I am playing on the hardest difficulty and I just had a fun time with that quest early on in the game where you try to steal info from the mercenary base. I upgraded an L85 with a 4x scope and used it to shoot down a couple of their guards wandering around the perimeter, then the rest of them came out after me. There was a running gunfight and they chased me away from the compound, but I was able to slip away and sneak into the compound from the back and steal the info while they were out looking for me. I could hear grenade detonations around my previous positions as I was sneaking into the back. I like how you can trick them like that.

Monolith. posted:

The nights are incredibly dark, especially if you use Full Dynamic Lighting. Make sure you get the scope changer as well as the default scopes look terrible and are mostly all washed out. The weather goes from clear and sunny to very rainy to incredibly foggy and when its night it gets extremely dark.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/autumn-aurora-compilation-mod/addons/alternative-scopes-for-autumn-aurora-2

Why do so many mods do that? The AI has no trouble seeing and shooting at me from pretty far away at night - why would you want to make it impossible to see them when they can see you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I finally got myself a nice gaming machine a while ago and I think I might try SoC or even Clear Sky again. It's been years now, and I've never been able to run them on high settings.

I thought about trying the Misery mod but maybe that's a bad idea. It's fun watching people flail about and die over and over trying to play it on youtube but I don't think it would be that fun to actually play. Plus I don't really like the mods that make the guns super accurate and powerful. I think I might try a nice graphics mod like Atmosfear or something that doesn't change the gameplay at all.

This post kinda summed up how I feel:

your evil twin posted:

That's a criticism I don't undersand. In most videogames I've always felt that four or five bullets in the body feels about right. I guess that's because of years of playing FPS games like the Half-Life franchise. The enemies never felt bullet-spongey to me.

I always figure that if an enemy is wearing body armour or is some kind of alien or mutant creature then it is reasonable for them to be able to withstand several bullets.

Of course a headshot should be instantly lethal, unless they are wearing some kind of protection like a mask or helmet. (I know that in reality a helmet protects from shrapnel etc but can't save you from a bullet, but its reasonable in videogameland. Especially if it is some fancy sci-fi exosuit or something.)

If enemies die from 1 or 2 bullets to the body, then how can you have fun firefights? I like it when enemies yell in pain and run off to find cover and stuff. If they die in one or two bullets, you just mow them all down and they don't get to show off any interesting AI. No-one would have been impressed by Half-Life 1's revolutionary AI for the human grunts if the player had been able to mow them down before they hand a chance to react.

I love the long, running gunfights you can get into in these games. Some of my favorite firefights were the ones really early on in vanilla SoC, when both you and your enemies are running around popping away at each other with the really inaccurate pistols and shotguns you start out with. You might have to actually worry about ammo consumption, and you can watch how the AI behaves. You can trick them and lure them out to an area where they can be flanked. I don't think it would be as much fun if you can just shoot them down instantly the moment you see them.

Making the guns super powerful seems even less realistic to me in a way. I read about real-life gunfights every now and then that last for ages with no one even being hit at all. Real people, often trained police officers, can't seem to hit a loving thing if the other guy is more than 10 feet away, and this is a game about a bunch of drunk Russians running around in the wilderness spraying bullets at each other with rusty old piece of poo poo weapons.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Monolith. posted:

I like bullet sponge enemies the same way Ddraig likes Misery.

It's fun because one misstep and I'm dead just like them. There's a very fine balance to all this and it's easy to step on either side of the line. I don't know, I think Autumn Aurora 2.2's difficulty on Master is pretty much a good balance of challenge and fun.

Ultimately I think its because I played a lot of Halo as a kid and I hated how many bullets it took to kill people with the assault rifle.

Another thing I don't like about that is that it turns it into a quicksave/quickload fest. If you're not dying and quickloading all the time then you're sneaking around blowing all the AIs away before they have a chance to react.

Maybe I just haven't played around with those mods enough, or I suck at them. I suppose I can see why some people would enjoy them. You would have to creep around more and snipe and surprise the enemy I guess. My favorite way to play this game though is to drink lots of beer and then run around getting into big firefights and unloading entire mags in the general direction of the enemy while chucking grenades left and right.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

buglord posted:

Clear Sky wouldn't have been so bad if the game didn't try its hardest to prevent me from completing it. I had so many broken questlines and doomed save files. The other game that refused to let me beat it for the same reasons was GTAV.

That's what happened to me when I played Call of Pripyat. I made it pretty far in that game (at least I think I did) and then it broke and the save corrupted. I was using the CoP Complete mod though I think, so maybe that's what did it. Maybe that's what that mod was really supposed to do - to get the true Complete experience, the game must crash and bug out.

I kinda want to play these games again though since it's been years.