Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Nah. TVLine did an article saying Jennifer Morrison, Lana Parrilla, Robert Carlyle and Colin O’Donoghue are in talks to renew their contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

Holy poo poo, that's hosed up. So now, not only did you sleep with the woman who would eventually be the mother to your ex-baby daddy, but you killed your love's grandfather too.

It's like they have a checklist of Regina's traits that they are grafting onto Hook. They've gone through all the major ones, and now we are down to the details, like: 'killed Emma's grandfather'.

Surely one of those will make Hook as popular as Regina!!! :downsgun:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hook's like 300 years old, there are still generations of Emma's relatives he can have murdered. Before Henry's Bar Mitzvah, we'll flash back to the time he killed her great, great grandmother on Snow's side.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Everyone on this show Emma's had a semblance of being with is 200+ years old. Neal, Graham, Walsh, now Hook, they're ALL old. You just kind of have to say, "gently caress it," to the weird time dynamics.

:colbert: And I don't care what y'all say, I still love Hook's character. I just have no idea how they're going to write around this.

But this is a show where nothing makes sense. Rumple and Regina have killed a ton of people, Snow's killed Regina's mother, and somehow they'll manage to make a very merry Thanksgiving episode someday.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Graham is not over 100 years old, though? Nor was August. The Storybrooke folks were only stuck in a time loop for about 20 years, or however old Emma is canonically in the first episode. It's just Hook and Neil who have centuries on her because of Neverland shenanigans. Not that I'm rooting for or against Hook.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Graham is not over 100 years old, though? Nor was August. The Storybrooke folks were only stuck in a time loop for about 20 years, or however old Emma is canonically in the first episode. It's just Hook and Neil who have centuries on her because of Neverland shenanigans. Not that I'm rooting for or against Hook.

Well, Graham is as old as the Evil Queen, so you have me there, but Pinocchio/August was a wooden puppet for god knows how long, we just know he was a kid who helped out Emma's grandpa.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There's a point at which determining the age for pretty much any of them is pointless, I guess, because like Snow White has two full lives full of memories, one for Mary Margaret and one for Snow White, each about 30 or so years, and then an additional 20 or so of being caught in a time loop in which she didn't age and was somehow unaware of living the same week over and over, but I'll be damned if that will stop me from making jokes about how many of Emma's ancestors he might have murdered accidentally.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

It was an interesting reason for Rumple's taste of the darkside for the sake of someone else and how his cowardice passed on to both sons. But goddamn it, I'm so through with this cyclical, "Let me help you be bad," bullshit, with Belle lapping that up.

Regina was amazing this episode for being the only one to face up to what she's done and admit it. Having the Evil Queen back is also fun.

Also, goddamn it Hook. :smith: Way to taint what was supposed to be the proposal with you lying to her face.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I like all the lampshading on the proposal, especially Emma going HURR NO MORE SECRETS!!! So... yay. More drama, I guess.

I'm also glad the queen is back, though, and Regina continues to be the only character who learns and evolves in a way that feels natural.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did they ever re-merge Regina and the Queen? My girlfriend quit live watching this so I lost track of this.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Did they ever re-merge Regina and the Queen? My girlfriend quit live watching this so I lost track of this.

That's probably the next episode, from looking at the preview. As of now, the Evil Queen just got back from being a snake and Regina's still feeling sorrier by the second for everything she's done.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I literally forgot what had happened to de-merged queen until my wife reminded me toward the end of the episode, it's the most weirdly listless plot. I'd be all for it just so Lana can camp things up, but she almost seems to do that better with Regina all of a sudden.

Bobby Carlilse's weird "halfway between Rumple and Mr. Gold" voice didn't really work for me this episode, and they seem to have lost all sense as to how to structure episodes so that individual plots have beats (the proposal, for example, felt weird because it was literally the first time Emma was in the episode and Hook spent maybe a collective 8 minutes, mostly as portrayed through rum glasses wrestling with his demons to lead up to it). I also wasn't a huge fan of trying to pin some of Gold's early failures in resisting his power addiction on some kind of Neal ret-con; the alcoholism parallels are a little too close to make it seem like his early lapses were the fault of his son (however that's explained through ~magic~).

Other than that I sort of liked this episode. If we have to endure the inevitable Belle and Rumple reconciling, at least getting a little more into his abusive upbringing works, I like Fake Robin allying with Zelena, for once it's believable that Hook is having trouble being forthcoming with honesty, because he tried and a life event stepped in his way, and the actor they got to play Rumbelle Baby is way better than their last two villains.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

When are the two Reginas just going to make out already?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

When are the two Reginas just going to make out already?

Is that how they'll merge?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Is that how they'll merge?

That plot has been put to bed, they shoved their hearts together and then shoved the hearts into one another and gasped and made ecstasy faces, and that cured the Evil Queen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

That plot has been put to bed, they shoved their hearts together and then shoved the hearts into one another and gasped and made ecstasy faces, and that cured the Evil Queen.

Wait, so are there still two of them?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Wait, so are there still two of them?

All of the heart-loving for some reason made the Evil Queen decide to go back to Robin, so Henry wrote in his book and she got transported to the fake wish universe and lived happily ever after with the alterna-Robin. There are two of them but one has been functionally written out of the show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

All of the heart-loving for some reason made the Evil Queen decide to go back to Robin, so Henry wrote in his book and she got transported to the fake wish universe and lived happily ever after with the alterna-Robin. There are two of them but one has been functionally written out of the show.

LoL, I need to watch this poo poo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

LoL, I need to watch this poo poo.

The best was the flashback where the Evil Queen used a magic spell to lead to her to the person she hated the most so that she could find where Snow White was hiding and it led her to a closet...

...with a mirror inside of it!!!!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Henry has 3 moms now and apparently magic's idea of giving Regina a fresh start is sending her to a world where everyone hates her. Also hello Rose McIver everyone please watch iZombie.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Man this was such a bullshit episode. All that conflict with the Evil Queen for it to just end like that? Not to mention all that Hook conflict for him to just gently caress off? Wow, this episode sucked.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pan Dulce posted:

Man this was such a bullshit episode. All that conflict with the Evil Queen for it to just end like that? Not to mention all that Hook conflict for him to just gently caress off? Wow, this episode sucked.

To be fair, this is at least a different kind of dramatic irony, in which Hook actually wanted to return and confront his past but is now without the ability to do so due to outside interference, as opposed to the endless amount of "There's no reason for me to keep this a secret, but I'm going to do it anyway" that the entire Charming family has been doing since season 1.

The seventh season is going to be even weirder, I think. The ABC President has lent some credence to the "soft reboot" rumors, they've cast some characters for the end of this season that are almost definitely the folks to carry the torch, and they've only started contract negotiations with about four of the actors. If it gets renewed, it's probably going to be as a transition into an entirely new show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

The seventh season is going to be even weirder, I think. The ABC President has lent some credence to the "soft reboot" rumors, they've cast some characters for the end of this season that are almost definitely the folks to carry the torch, and they've only started contract negotiations with about four of the actors. If it gets renewed, it's probably going to be as a transition into an entirely new show.

I've heard that Carlyle is one of the actors they're in talks with to come back, when I would have thought he'd be one of the guys most likely to want to leave.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard that Carlyle is one of the actors they're in talks with to come back, when I would have thought he'd be one of the guys most likely to want to leave.

Yeah, it's weird, right? Also, if anything, I'd have thought this would be a decent gig for Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas; it seems like, whatever flaws the producers have, they've been pretty good about letting them take some time for their family. Maybe they've put enough away that they can take a few years off and that's what they're looking for.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Princess tales with Jasmin and Ariel, Snow White drunkenly challenging Vikings to darts with daggers, people figuring out how to save poo poo without using magic, I love it! You know, apart from the Nemo bit, which I was bored by, and Aesop being Gideon (big surprise, he was practically salivating for Savior tears on the napkin), which I'm so tired of; the entire Gold family tree sucks.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Ladies Night Out was super awesome, but I definitely only paid half attention to whatever those A/B plots were. Nemo is dull and Hook is dull and his brooding rages are dull.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

So, does everyone who gathered in the room just have a 9-hour sleep cycle now?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Argue posted:

So, does everyone who gathered in the room just have a 9-hour sleep cycle now?

Apparently, the sleeping curse could have been solved this whole time with some Melatonin.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I like how trivially easy it is to pop between worlds now. Rumple had to wait literal generations to cast his dark curse to get to Earth, but Blackbeard straight up carries a magic bean around in his pocket the whole time and there is a random flower that grows around evil people that is also a portal? Really???

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cailleask posted:

I like how trivially easy it is to pop between worlds now. Rumple had to wait literal generations to cast his dark curse to get to Earth, but Blackbeard straight up carries a magic bean around in his pocket the whole time and there is a random flower that grows around evil people that is also a portal? Really???

I think sometime in the middle of season 3, it became abundantly clear that his master plan was the Rube Goldberg device of magic. "Why don't you just find the drat White Rabbit, Rumple, or one of the beans they seem to give out like candy, or just be more evil for awhile to get some pixie flowers to grow, or find a mermaid?" I think some of those have limitations that only work on non-magical realms or only work for good people or something, but come on!

I will admit I'm enjoying this season more than the last two overall, though. More of the complete nonsense is of the fun variety rather than the infuriating variety. I really hope they kind of just wrap things up at the end, though.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So with 'the whole of Storybrooke' sipping down the sleeping curse, I can only assume they're going to use that to get rid of the town cast.

But I actually really liked the Charming flashback which was surprising.

I hope someone eventually edits the Once like Chronologically Lost.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Andrew_1985 posted:

I hope someone eventually edits the Once like Chronologically Lost.

It's harder to do this with OAUT, because apart from all the realms where time passes differently and things are unclear (for some reason Victorian England where the Darlings come from is a different realm, for example), there are a bunch of them starting in season 4 that straight-up do not make any sense at all when you try to figure out where they go.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My favorite one is when it turned out that Regina and Hook had met a long time ago but they made a deal that if they ever met each other again they should just pretend like they don't know each other and never ever mention that time they ever worked together.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I actually kept an in-order timeline in some Google Doc for the first two seasons, but then I gave up at some point in season 3. It's too much effort for something this goofy.

e: actually it looks like I did all of season 3, but I think my wife told me that some of it was wrong anyway. I also tracked a full list of all the deals Rumpelstiltskin had made and had a list of who was who in Storybrooke, which understandably became less and less interesting to do as the show went on.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 17, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The guys who make OUAT were also writers on Lost, weren't they?

Obviously:

+

=

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

I like how Snow and Charming were willing to risk falling asleep forever for Emma's sake, completely forgetting that they have ANOTHER child who arguably needs them a lot more than Emma does.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Silent Linguist posted:

I like how Snow and Charming were willing to risk falling asleep forever for Emma's sake, completely forgetting that they have ANOTHER child who arguably needs them a lot more than Emma does.

In the last episode, everyone is going to walk into the sunset only for the show to slowly build the music, faster and faster, coming to a crescendo, until it zooms in on baby Neil, left behind alone in his crib.

....L....O.....S.....T....

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Bicyclops posted:

It's harder to do this with OAUT, because apart from all the realms where time passes differently and things are unclear (for some reason Victorian England where the Darlings come from is a different realm, for example), there are a bunch of them starting in season 4 that straight-up do not make any sense at all when you try to figure out where they go.

Also that one guy in this thread would be super mad about Snow's baby weight.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Captain von Trapp posted:

Also that one guy in this thread would be super mad about Snow's baby weight.

:ssh: You'll summon her, you fool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I liked this episode. It wasn't a complete retcon and it revisited the best time the show had, the beginning. I liked Tiger Lily and appreciated getting a better, albeit rushed, proposal.

• Locked thread