Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Depending on the hook, you could have the dead Dragon's buddies give it some kind of resolution, for extra drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, what are some good resources for learning the ins and outs of Wuxia? I've got enough of the history down to have fun with 83 AD (69 advanced 14 years, the campaign I'm writing now is the old Junctures 14 years later and post C-Bomb) but I feel like I don't quite have a good feel for how to do heroic martial artists having desperate kung-fu battles with evil sorcerers, bandits, and Guiding Hand Monks who have decided the time for taking the past is now.

Also, Blood of the Valiant made the Guiding Hand go from a faction I was tremendously bored with to really, really great. That book is fantastic.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe check this thread for suggestions?

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
That thread is great for getting grounded in Wuxia cinema.

For literature, it's a bit harder to get started. It's not a bad idea to read Outlaws on the Marsh, which, while a pre-Wuxia work, did serve as a pretty essential inspiration to the genre (and also served as the main inspiration for the Suikoden games if you've played those). It's also one of the four great classic novels of china, so it has a lot going for it.

Strange Tales From the Chinese Studio by Pu Songling has an affordable penguin translation. It's not Wuxia by any means, but a collection of ghost and other supernatural stories. It's excellent and a wonderful source for the fantastic in a Feng Shui game.

You can also read Romance of the Three Kingdoms (there's a good translation floating around online) and Journey to the West (Anthony C. Yu's translation is the best, but it's expensive. The abridged version, Monkey by Arthur Waley, is decent and easy to get but it is VERY abridged.) They're great works, rightly considered classics, but I feel like they are a bit more distant influence on the genre.

After that, you can jump into the genre proper, and there's not really a better way than reading Jin Yong. It's easy to find quite a few translations and fan-translations of his work by googling. The Book and the Sword is probably the best translated of the bunch, having had an officially licensed translation that took 4 years to complete.

The comic Weapons of the Gods is a good time too.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
A warning: If and when you read Outlaws, you will feel a sudden urge to replace any and all instances of "Mooks break down the door to threaten the heroes and provide clues" with "A tiger attacks."

Not even a transformed tiger. Just a regular one.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

So, what are some good resources for learning the ins and outs of Wuxia? I've got enough of the history down to have fun with 83 AD (69 advanced 14 years, the campaign I'm writing now is the old Junctures 14 years later and post C-Bomb) but I feel like I don't quite have a good feel for how to do heroic martial artists having desperate kung-fu battles with evil sorcerers, bandits, and Guiding Hand Monks who have decided the time for taking the past is now.

Also, Blood of the Valiant made the Guiding Hand go from a faction I was tremendously bored with to really, really great. That book is fantastic.

The big four of Chinese lit are:
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Outlaws of the Water Margin/Marsh
Journey to the West
Dream of the Red Chamber

Any one of those will give you so many ideas.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, moving 1850 to 1864 to go with the 14 Years Later thing not only means the US is still in the middle of the Civil War and that's distracting the hell out of the Ascended, but China's in the midst of the self-strengthening movement (which I imagine would piss off the Guiding Hand because 'westernizing' the military is the opposite of what they want) and has lost a second Opium War. I think I can still use the general themes and information from Blood of the Valiant, but I've got to imagine 14 years of setbacks have really pissed off Quan Lo and possibly managed to make him even more extreme. Are there any really major events in the 1860s in China I should look into?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Blood of the Valiant goes into some detail on the Taiping rebellion, IIRC; that's actually still going on in 1864, and is in fact just wrapping up over the course of the year.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I got my physical shot tracker from the Feng Shui 2 KS. Very high quality, but I'm not sure how I'm going to store this thing. Even in halves the tracker is a bit large.

The tracker has two tokens for each archetype, multiple Boss/Featured Foe/Mooks by faction, four generic "power type" tokens, and four blank tokens.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So what is written on 4, 9, and 14?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I got...a sticker with Robin Laws' signature on it in the mail. Apparently, my book was supposed to have gone out signed, which I don't remember being part of my backer tier, but you know, I'm okay with it.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So what is written on 4, 9, and 14?

fēngshuǐ

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Should've realized that, wonder why those numbers specifically? Probably some sort of significance in Feng Shui/Chinese culture.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Should've realized that, wonder why those numbers specifically? Probably some sort of significance in Feng Shui/Chinese culture.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture

Four and fourteen are very unlucky, nine is lucky.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Secrets of the Chi War is out, add on PDF(if you backed at more than $10, you get a code for free) that gives tips and hints for all the Juncture fights, including the fact the Hong Kong Disneyworld still is pretty much intact (with just about all the buildings holding portals).. and the New Simian Army makes their Future Home in the city of Apeworld , and that they host arena combat (complete with weapons on the cage wall ala the Mad Max series) and a demolition derby with weapons.. the current leader of the Demo Derby is Goodyear Chimp. (oy vey).

That's not even the worst pun. The subsection heading about a pop-up juncture to a caveman timeframe with intelligent dinosaurs? "Yabba Dabba Fu."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The official best plothook is the implication that Pui Ti caused Frozen and that she's worked a spell to see through the eyes of every child to ever dress up as Elsa.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

unseenlibrarian posted:

The official best plothook is the implication that Pui Ti caused Frozen and that she's worked a spell to see through the eyes of every child to ever dress up as Elsa.

:aaaaa:

Needs to DL and read this when I get home.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah if anyone thought it was weird all the pop ups had more detail than the permanent junctures in the rulebook... This is where it all is.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's a shame that Secrets of the Chi War isn't a print title. I love that cover.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's a shame that Secrets of the Chi War isn't a print title. I love that cover.

If enough people ask, I'm sure they can make it PoD on DTRPG, there just needs to be enough interest to justify the whole loving around with margins and proofs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok I'm reading this a little more and there's a bizarre amount of hippie-bashing in the Zodiac Summer chapter.

Edit: Bummed that we didn't make that Hong Kong '96 chapter. Oh well.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 30, 2015

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok I'm reading this a little more and there's a bizarre amount of hippie-bashing in the Zodiac Summer chapter.

Edit: Bummed that we didn't make that Hong Kong '96 chapter. Oh well.

Maybe Robin got Ken Hite to write that one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was mildly disappointed by the Netherworld Section in Secrets of the Chi War. It only really covered the Monarchs besides some small stuff at the beginning. Granted the Four Monarchs are a big deal in the Netherworld, but there is a lot more to it than that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I was mildly disappointed by the Netherworld Section in Secrets of the Chi War. It only really covered the Monarchs besides some small stuff at the beginning. Granted the Four Monarchs are a big deal in the Netherworld, but there is a lot more to it than that.
Yeah I was hoping for like, more detail about what's up at the Biomass Reprocessing Center and poo poo like that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So is this the second or third time we've been the November thread of the month? :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Third

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Last night was the second session of our game and man, if anyone knows some secret tech to make Ghosts not bad, please let me know so I can help my player. Right now the best solution I can find is "it's only two games in, would you like to retcon as a Sorcerer or something?"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What are you finding bad about them?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

They just get really boring options in fights: fly away and shoot ghost beams, or do nothing so someone else gets to have more fun. The other two players are a Sifu and a Sword Master, archetypes with extra fun stuff they can do. Bullet immunity is kinda cool, but it's hard to justify why anyone other than mooks are using guns against a ghost more than once. Also, it doesn't cover thrown weapons (came up last night) or magic (coming up next week). When an enemy does throw poo poo or close the distance, which is gonna happen because my named foes aren't all idiots, ghosts are tied for lowest Defense in the game so they are guaranteed to get clocked hard.

The next fight has a named sorcerer as one of the enemies so I'm gonna talk to the player and try to help her come up with some spooky tricks to not get waxed, and it'll probably be as simple as "tell one of the other players to keep him from zapping me" but based on the past couple fights the archetype just seems really unerwhelming compared to the other two in play.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lynx Winters posted:

Bullet immunity is kinda cool, but it's hard to justify why anyone other than mooks are using guns against a ghost more than once.

Just describe the second time as they are paralyzed, mouth agog, by their bullets having no effect. The third time they are reloading. Or they drop their gun and fumble for it for however long you want them to. Whatever. The point is they aren't doing damage to the other characters, and the Ghost feels cool.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Personally, I'd have the bullet immunity apply to other mundane forms of ranged attack such as arrows, thrown knives, cruise missiles, etc.

Also, you could do some pretty crazy stuff with the insubstantial ability depending on what the chosen materials are (they shouldn't be super common).

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Let's be honest. They're going to empty their gun at the ghost, then throw it, and then the ghost has to duck. Because hey, Superman gag.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You know, the thread title and OP could probably do with an edit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Then we should think of a new title.

Feng Shui 2: Guns, Sorcery, Kung-Fu, CyberApes, and Interior Decorating

I'm not very good at these.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Actually, someone should probably just make a whole new thread, since Cassa hasn't posted in two years. I'll draft an OP in a couple of hours unless someone is really attached to doing it.

e; I've started working on an OP, draft's here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1waanUceTCoMaX5br6rHgJD_3VY0KuObf-N0bVRg7ZiM/edit?usp=sharing

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 7, 2015

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Can anyone explain healing in FS2? Is there a difficulty on the check?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

There's no difficulty, you just roll the dice and apply it to whatever you're using (medicine skill, martial arts for Healing Chi, etc), and subtract whatever the result is from the target's current wound points. For example if you're a Sifu with Medicine 15 and use it to heal someone after a fight, and you roll a +2, the person you're healing gets rid of 17 (15+2) wound points.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Thanks! Other question, how do you get backlash for sorcery schticks that don't have rolls like all the Divination ones?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has the book started showing up in game stores yet? I can't find anything one way or the other on Atlas' site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Mechayahiko posted:

Thanks! Other question, how do you get backlash for sorcery schticks that don't have rolls like all the Divination ones?

There is actually one Divination schtick that needs a roll (Warning).

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has the book started showing up in game stores yet? I can't find anything one way or the other on Atlas' site.

One of my players has seen a copy in the wild, at the store he plays Magic at in Arlington, VA. So, there's one.

• Locked thread