Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So in honour of Bundle of Holding having a big old sale on Feng Shui, I felt a thread was in order. As such, I'm going to crib from Mors Rattus' Fatal and Friends rundown for most of this.

"Welcome to [b posted:

Feng Shui[/b]."]Feng Shui is the game in which you and your friends face off against sinister time-travelling eunuch wizards, secretive time travelling conspirators and twisted time travelling mad scientists. In Hong Kong, of course. This secret war is all for the control of feng shui sites, which harness and intensify the planet's chi, or life force. Those who control the sites benefit from it, and thus was geomancy born. History belongs to those who control the feng shui. (Which you pronounce however you want, says a sidebar.)

Everyone wants to control the feng shui sites. Whoever manages it in the end will rule the world. Unfortunately, the war isn't just now: it's across time. Fortunately, you've found a portal into the Netherworld, aka the Inner Kingdom, a mysterious realm which holds the key to time travel. You are now an Innerwalker, a Secret Warrior: one of the players in the war for the world's history. You're outnumbered. You're probably outgunned. But that's okay. You're a hero. If your will is strong, you can dodge bullets. If your heart is pure, you can take 18 slugs to the chest and keep going. If your kung fu is great, you can run up a vertical wall, leap off and have a swordfight with someone who did the same thing in the other direction. This is the land of the Hong Kong action movie. The stunts are crazy, the melodrama is high and the stakes are higher.

As for mechanics:

quote:

For every time you roll dice, you roll 2d6. One of these d6s is positive, the other is negative. The book suggests different colors to make it easy to tell apart. There's two kinds of rolls: Closed and Open. A closed roll is simple: roll the positive die and the negative die, subtract the negative from the positive, take the result and add it to your Action Value for the action to see what happens. An open roll is similar, except the dice explode. However, if you roll a 6 on each die, rather than both exploding, we call that boxcars. Boxcars mean you either critically succeed or fail, and you find out which by rerolling, ignoring further Boxcars results.

If your roll plus your Action Value beats the difficulty of a check, you succeed. If not, you fail. Succeeding by higher amounts is better. Simple! You can critically fail (excuse me, Way-Awful Fail) in two ways: The first is to fail a roll after Boxcars. The second is to have a final check result that is negative. Something really bad happens - your guns jam, or if you are a sorcerer you suffer backlash. Boxcars and success, well, they typically mean something interesting and cool happens.

There's more, but I'm still trying to convince my group to go back to RPG's from Boardgames, so it's at the top of my to be played pile. Hoping other people jump in and share the knowledge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I'm keen, for however you wanna do it.

• Locked thread