Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
If you are interested in some talk about the new edition of Feng Shui, it was briefly addressed on Robin Laws and Ken Hite's podcast this week: http://www.kenandrobintalkaboutstuff.com/index.php/episode-59-thwarted-by-trees/

It's a good podcast in general, but the Feng Shui stuff is about 3/4 of the way through.

Some highlights I remember:
- The "future" time points will change, in order to reflect the consequences of different Feng Shui sites being controlled

- Some fine-tuning of the rules, rather than reinventing everything (for example, finding a way to make the "big guy who hits rarely but very hard" archetype more practical in play)

- Also, making the rules more consistent with the genre emulation (example given was eliminating penalties for doing flashy, crazy stuff during fight scenes, since that is what you're supposed to be doing anyways)

- Sticking with the Types for characters, rather than a more general point-buy system

- Including some of the Types in the main book that were originally in supplements

- Some discussion on how to handle the iconic characters, with the eventual conclusion that they'll most likely be "re-envisioned" as if the show/film series is getting a reboot, or possibly grouped into a supplement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Yes, I think the new Contemporary juncture will be 2013ish Hong Kong. They specifically mentioned the parts about Hong Kong's relationship with China as being pretty dated by now in the original book, and one of the things they'd like to update.

The other effect of that is that, when the book first came out, Hong Kong action cinema was not so well known and part of the idea was to introduce its aesthetic to the audience. But now, it's much better known and has had many more films released. Accordingly, Robin mentioned updating the description and working in some more Hollywood action aspects as well.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
http://atlas-games.com/in/kickstartfengshui2/

You can sign up to be notified the very instant it goes live, anyways.

They also said at the GenCon panel that they're shooting for a summer 2015 ship date at the latest and will be trying to avoid kickstarter rewards or stretch goals that will delay the process.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Was the swordmaster archetype in the original docs? I don't remember and I don't know where my copy went to check.

Robin Laws mentioned on google plus that there were originally 35 archetypes in the pre-KS document, so the sword master was added to make it a more auspicious 36. So I think it's new.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I remember walking out of the GenCon Feng Shui panel last year and Rob Heinsoo (13th Age, 4e, other stuff) was talking about using Feng Shui 2 rules to run Ken Hite's Day After Ragnarok setting. Mixing and matching is indeed what RPGs are about and I think Feng Shui (either in terms of setting or rules) is very comfortable with that idea.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
That's super disappointing. I will probably still back Unknown Armies when it comes out, but I'm certainly going to be wary of any fancy add-ons after that response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So I'll just keep journo'ing my campaign if nobody objects.

I finally sprung the Chi War on my players after 4 sessions. After my own created adventure, I started running Shadow of the Future of the Apes with some slight modifications.

One thing I've been doing is introducing new character archetypes as the series has progressed. I took out all the magic and non-Contemporary Juncture characters (except for fan-favs like The Old Master and The Ninja) and have been reintroducing them as the series progressed as being "unlocked" whenever the PCs defeat that Archetype in a fight. So the characters beat an Eaters of the Lotus bad guy, they got the Sorcerer, they beat a couple of SLA baddies and they get the Cyborg, etc. etc.

I am enjoying the write-ups. Generally you don't see a ton for Feng Shui.

I also really like the "boss unlock" idea to introduce new or esoteric archetypes. I also feel that the Chi War is fun but that the Shadow of the Future of the Apes is just way too much for players new to the setting.

• Locked thread