Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Discendo Vox posted:

Kojima is, sadly, all of those things. It's difficult to tell which parts of Kojima products are his own ideas and which ones are from his production team. It's kinda a George Lucas situation, though the source of the bad and good is more ambiguous.

I would not always say it is sadly. Because some of the things Kojima includes are amazing.

The man could put some more clothes on his ladies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
MGS4 was such an absolute trainwreck of poor decisions all the way through that I can never really trust his work again-and his treatment of the child characters so far in phantom pain has been really freaking awful.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boktai seemed to be pretty cool throughout.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Kojima's problem has always been that he needs an editor, someone to step in and rein in his more insane ideas. Hopefully Guillermo Del Toro can be that guy.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Veloxyll posted:

I would not always say it is sadly. Because some of the things Kojima includes are amazing.

The man could put some more clothes on his ladies though.

Yeah Kojima being insane and/or a genius aren't really "sadly". Most of the best parts of the franchise (both ridiculous-wise and serious-wise) come from the place where those two facets of him meet.

Kojima being sort of sexist needs work, but then that's not really unique to Kojima.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Kojima working on a Silent Hill game didn't click for me either until I saw someone mention Psycho Mantis tricks. So, a game with Del Toro's monsters and Kojima's attention to detail as well as shenanigans ala Psycho Mantis and The Sorrow happening for the whole game instead of in discrete sections is going to be neat as hell.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

tlarn posted:

Kojima working on a Silent Hill game didn't click for me either until I saw someone mention Psycho Mantis tricks. So, a game with Del Toro's monsters and Kojima's attention to detail as well as shenanigans ala Psycho Mantis and The Sorrow happening for the whole game instead of in discrete sections is going to be neat as hell.

But are we going to have Kojima's love for wacky easter eggs?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

tlarn posted:

That point about Psycho Mantis tricks makes me think we might end up with some amazing cross between the older Silent Hill's ambience and the spontaneous events that Eternal Darkness had in relation to sanity effects - especially how they'd sometimes completely screw with the 4th wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXcajQnasc

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
You'd think with all those fat YouTube Let's Play bucks rolling in, Voidburger could afford a fancier car*.

*Not actually Voidburger's car.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
I think the best evidence for Kojima being a good fit for Silent Hill is:

-Almost everything about Psycho mantis in MGS1
-"Mystery" levels in the MGS1 VR missions
-Laughing Octopus fight in MGS4 (especially on harder difficulties)

Laughing Octopus is still one of the best fights/mindtrips in that game, if not the series.

MGS 1 had a lot of great atmosphere in general, all of the outdoor locations had an empty feeling to them. But there was also that section with the wolves, which was openly threatening the first time.

Hell, even the photography mode (if he could curb some of his less desirable propensities) could be applied as some sort of Fatal Frame meachanic. I haven't played P.T. but it looks like you're using a handheld the whole time, so there's that.

What was this thread about again? Oh yeah:

WAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HALLOWEEN HALLOWEEN

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Man, this game looked sort of neat for the first few videos: the attention to detail was neat and the music was not yet grating. First impressions are a hell of a thing when they're misleading :smith:

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I caught up on this LP. One thing I noticed was that Jack's run animation is literally the same running animation that Dante has in the first DMC game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, I think we have a strong contender for "least thrilling rescue in a video game".

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ManlyGrunting posted:

Man, this game looked sort of neat for the first few videos: the attention to detail was neat and the music was not yet grating. First impressions are a hell of a thing when they're misleading :smith:

It's kinda sad. There was clearly a decent amount of effort put into this game. But none of that effort seemed to go into the gameplay, and they quickly ran out of ideas. That nobody has even mentioned the game in the last few pages really says a lot about its quality. It's not even bad in a notable way.

Archaedes
Nov 3, 2013

AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
Can I cross my fingers and HOPE that the game pulls some kind of Shakespearean twist and becomes good in the last 20-25 minutes? Please?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Archaedes posted:

Can I cross my fingers and HOPE that the game pulls some kind of Shakespearean twist and becomes good in the last 20-25 minutes? Please?

Well, you CAN, but I doubt it will help.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Archaedes posted:

Sure. You like disappointment, right?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Archaedes posted:

Someone hyped up the final battle song early in the thread. Apparently the best part of the game is the very last chapter. According to someone I'm too lazy to go back and find.

So, clearly, there is hope. There is a reason to keep watching.

Or maybe it was just a cruel joke to get us to all keep watching this thing well after we've gotten all whaaa-haaaed out.

Archaedes
Nov 3, 2013

AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
Ok it seems like I shouldnt get my hopes up, and instead, Im going to start spitballing responses to the final boss.

Wow, was that it?
Oh ok, I guess the music was ok.
Oogie wa-haa'ed his way into my heart!
Jesus Capcom, you released that? THAT thing?

Etc, etc.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
That someone is me. And yes, I like the final boss, or to be more precise, the song battle against the final boss. And I'm not the only one who likes that part.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Well, then, I can not wait to see. All I have been seeing to date is a lot of signs the dev and design teams were running out of steam/funding by this point. Or Oogie was the project manager. One of the two...

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Oh, I'll admit its a remix, but they put more effort into than the other songs.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Archaedes posted:

If this game were in any way Shakespearean, it would have been great from start to finish :colbert:

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
If anyone hasn't seen it yet, Bob figured out PT's solution. It's insane.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

If this game were in any way Shakespearean, it would have been great from start to finish :colbert:

If this game were Shakespearean, it would be sex jokes and puns from start to finish.

ThatPazuzu posted:

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, Bob figured out PT's solution. It's insane.

I figured the majority of the video would be arguing why what it had was the correct answer. Nope, holy crap, that game is insane. On the flipside, there may be multiple solutions and the majority of that video is over thinking, but hey, Kojima.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 22, 2014

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Looking in the comments section pretty much has half a dozen people pointing out that the guy is going way too far and making up puzzles where there aren't any.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Cheez posted:

going way too far and making up puzzles where there aren't any.

That's Silent Hill fandom in a nutshell for ya.

And More fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 22, 2014

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ramos posted:

I figured the majority of the video would be arguing why what it had was the correct answer. Nope, holy crap, that game is insane. On the flipside, there may be multiple solutions and the majority of that video is over thinking, but hey, Kojima.

<rubs temples>

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Yeah, there's a bunch of peeps in the comments saying "BUT I SOLVED IT DIFFERENTLY" and we're like "Dude, we KNOW. We're not saying this is the only way to solve it, it's just very, very consistent so far." There's definitely multiple solutions here.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Samizdata posted:

<rubs temples>

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

You did it wrong, it's "Wha ha!"

Anyway, ignore my early morning post that was I clearly too sleepy to make. I was basically saying that I was expecting the video to be the usual Silent Hill debate stuff from the title, but instead it went so much further into almost conspiracy level of analysis.

However, due to how much of a stretch it was to get the answer, it's got to have multiple solutions or at least multiple ways for people to trip upon the answer. The big problem with working with abstract puzzles is that your player may not even realize they're there. Thus, you have to give multiple ways to trip upon the solution or multiple solutions to the same problem.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

VoidBurger posted:

Yeah, there's a bunch of peeps in the comments saying "BUT I SOLVED IT DIFFERENTLY" and we're like "Dude, we KNOW. We're not saying this is the only way to solve it, it's just very, very consistent so far." There's definitely multiple solutions here.

The whole angel thing is just a bit much if you ask me. Someone in the comments pointed out that anything involving a "j" sound is fair game. Basically, if you just skip the numbers derail from 4:15 to 7:00 you get: Whose name should I whisper? - J.'s.

It's not that your solution isn't correct on principal, but it just goes way too far. The way Kamoc solves that numbers puzzle is also really wonky.

Ramos posted:

The big problem with working with abstract puzzles is that your player may not even realize they're there. Thus, you have to give multiple ways to trip upon the solution or multiple solutions to the same problem.

Kojima initially assumed that people would take weeks to finish the teaser. This final puzzle was not meant to be solved by some random shlub. Turns out, a million streaming apes can brute force their way through just about anything.

And More fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 22, 2014

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

And More posted:

Kojima initially assumed that people would take weeks to finish the teaser. This final puzzle was not meant to be solved by some random shlub. Turns out, a million streaming apes can brute force their way through just about anything.

That's how people beat that one puzzle website that ended in the guy essentially demanding you use ESP to connect with his brain and get the answer to the final "puzzle", or some completely insane poo poo. And of course he claimed it's doable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cheez posted:

That's how people beat that one puzzle website that ended in the guy essentially demanding you use ESP to connect with his brain and get the answer to the final "puzzle", or some completely insane poo poo. And of course he claimed it's doable.

You mean this one?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In my eyes the messages and their order seemed clear, only the numeric code and possibly the final statement seemed questionable.

Have folks at least confirmed that mic input is required for the second laugh?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Discendo Vox posted:

Have folks at least confirmed that mic input is required for the second laugh?

People have gotten it without it. But the mic seems to be the accepted way to solve it. Bob's Jarith method is just one that works consistently.

Edit: I was a "playtester" of this theory and I can confirm Bob's method works perfectly.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 23, 2014

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ThatPazuzu posted:

People have gotten it without it. But the mic seems to be the accepted way to solve it. Bob's Jarith method is just one that works consistently.

Edit: I was a "playtester" of this theory and I can confirm Bob's method works perfectly.

I noticed the name in the video. I did wonder if it was THAT ThatPazuzu..

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So is this LP dead or is there just life stuff getting in the way?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
:ssh: Void's probably waiting for Halloween to come around again, is what I figured. Also I can't blame her or Kamoc for putting off getting back to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
On the bright side, it's mid september, that means most retailers are starting to get halloween stuff in again, that means the jack hunt is back!

• Locked thread