Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
This is a photo book.

These are also photo books.

Photo books can be printed in a variety of ways, including on inkjet/laser printers, like from Hamburger Eyes.

Photo books don't have to have photos in them - they can also have discussion and criticism of photos.

Photo books don't have to be about art - Understanding Exposure is an instructional photo book that's often recommended in the Dorkroom for beginners.

For this discussion we'll also consider magazines like Aperture, which is probably one of the longest running periodicals in existence. Zines are also cool here.

Besides the magazine, Aperture also publishes photo books, like the Bernd & Hilla Becher book at the top. Other publishers that publish lots of photo books are Steidl, Hatje Cantz, Phaidon, Twin Palms, Nazraeli, Taschen, and Little Brown Mushroom. There are also places where people make print-on-demand photo books, like MagCloud, Blurb, Moleskine, and Lulu, but these are basically vanity presses.

Discuss your favorite photo books! I'll put up reviews of mine as I have time to do them.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I am proud to be able to say that I own several photo books. Some of them have more pictures than the others; some of them are old, and some of them are new. One of them talks about a school where people go to learn to take photos. I like that one. I also have a bunch of them that tell you how to take photos, so you don't have to go to the school.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
The Nature of Photographs was recommended to me earlier and it is absolutely stunning. One of my favorite photo books to date.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I really like The Photographer's Eye. It goes into all the aspects of making a strong composition, whether it's simply balancing the shapes and colors of a photo or capturing a particular moment of action.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Newsprint has been having a minor revival in small run publishing, such as Alec Soth and Co.'s excellent documentaryish LBM Dispatches. I only have these 3, but I need more.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

This is probably a really stupid question, but can online photo magazines like Square also be discussed in this thread or is this strictly a print + paper affair?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sharizard posted:

This is probably a really stupid question, but can online photo magazines like Square also be discussed in this thread or is this strictly a print + paper affair?

Yeah, I was hoping to keep this limited to physical media - you should make a separate effort thread about online photo magazines/blogs!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yeah, I was hoping to keep this limited to physical media - you should make a separate effort thread about online photo magazines/blogs!

A blog/online thread would be pretty sweet.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yeah, I think I'll whip up an OP sometime soon for this. Thanks!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If need to buy myself a house so that I have reason to buy a coffee table, and hence then have justification for buying more 'coffee table' photo books than I do.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

Speaking of physical media, you should make sure to buy your photo books as proper, old fashioned books, not as e-books. I've made the mistake a few times, and it's been horrid. I think it's pretty obvious that art books should be bought as the real deal, but even non-art photo books usually work better as physical books.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I will be the odd man out and say that Understaning Exposure is super hokey with the whole Big Brother Blue Sky and Mister Green Jeans or whatever peyote smoking poo poo. I sort of checked out after that.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I also don't really understand the recs for it, there are like 3 concepts in the book, and they can all be explained in a page each iirc.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Sharizard posted:

We have that thread, its the post good photos/photographers thread.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
My favourite all round photography magazine is the British Journal of Photography, no gear wankery, and available in hard and soft copies. They do great articles with tons of photos of both masters and up-n-comers, a little bit of gear reviewing in the back (including film/large format when applicable), and a good overview of important news-not just when the next 5d is coming out.

/plug

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Reichstag posted:

I also don't really understand the recs for it, there are like 3 concepts in the book, and they can all be explained in a page each iirc.

I get it tho - use pretty pictures to illustrate basic concepts for beginners and then use a bunch of cutesy poo poo to demonstrate handy rules of thumb for spot metering / zone system type stuff. If there was a big comprehensive .pdf of common scenes and appropriate compensation for spot metering (grass gets +2/3, brick gets +1/3, etc.) then we could just refer people to it for that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Back when I was working on my undergrad thesis (and later when I had graduated but was still working on campus), I used to take sanity breaks and go up to the 5th floor of the library, where all the photo books were. Pick five or so at random, go sit down, and page through them. I'd sometimes check out the really interesting ones and scan stuff I really liked (no idea what happened to the files though), and if I could find a copy cheap enough, buy one for myself secondhand. Sadly, all of those are boxed up in storage back in the US. On my bookshelf now I only have one book of strictly photos (みさお と ふくまる by Mioko Ihara, which is series of an elderly lady who lives in the countryside, and her cat with mismatched colored eyes), the rest are sorta technique or theory oriented. I need to re-read "Criticizing Photographs", picked it up on a Dorkroom recommendation and it was really good. I've also got the monumental "Way Beyond Monochrome" tome to read too, as well as a few digital post-processing books :negative: I think I'm finding Youtube tutorials preferable to the latter though.

I used to pick up Aperture, Photo Technique, and B&W on occasion at newsstands when I lived in the US, and would probably have a subscription to at least one of them if I was still there.

MrBlandAverage posted:

There are also places where people make print-on-demand photo books, like MagCloud, Blurb, Moleskine, and Lulu, but these are basically vanity presses.

I guess this rubs me the wrong way because "vanity press" is typically pejorative, and I think most (if not the majority) of people using those services are getting copies made just for themselves, or friends/family, rather than trying to sell them commercially because a traditional publisher wouldn't touch them. I've got a book of photos I took from the year I studied in Thailand (plus traveling afterwards) I had printed through Inkubook, and it's such a drat nice thing to have.

Inkubook went under not too long ago, so I'm going to have to find a new place to do them with. So far the Thailand/Southeast Asia one is the only one I've printed, but I'd like to go back and do them for other periods of my photo-taking life (deliminations kinda arbitrary, mostly based on how much material I have to work with: college, post-college, a trip to British Columbia, a roadtrip across the States, each year I've lived in Japan, and probably a book per year afterwards). I was curious how difficult it would be to actually just learn to print/bind them myself, so that I can maintain a consistent look across years (rather than have to worry about whatever company I was using going out of business). Does anyone have any experience with that?

Really, I can't recommend making books of your stuff enough. They're nice to sit down and leaf through, and I've found that other people especially like them.

edit: books own git yo books printed

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 6, 2013

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've been trying to buy photo books when I can, I love flipping through them. My favorite that I own currently is definitely "The Iconic Photographs" by Steve McCurry.

It's a larger book than you'd expect for the price, which is pretty incredible in contrast with most other comparable books, and it's full of a ton of a gorgeous photos.

Also, on a somewhat related note, I just posted over in the photojournalism thread about a handful of books being funded through Kickstarter if anybody wants to check those out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536198&pagenumber=4#post420338160

BobTheCow posted:

I've been interested in a handful of Kickstarter projects lately by photojournalists putting out books of their work. These are two that I've contributed toward, I'm super excited to see the final products:

Common Ground by Scott Strazzante

A project now 20 years in the making documenting the life of a farm and the subsequent transition to a suburban subdivision, presented as a series of diptychs in the book.

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by Preston Gannaway

A former Virginian-Pilot photojournalist and Pulitzer winner documented a troubled Norfolk neighborhood during her last few years in the area.

And here's one that I only just learned about :

Red Ball of a Sun Slipping Down by Eugene Richards

Eugene Richards has been doing this for a long time, both independently and as a Magnum member. This book is about southern poverty, race and aging as he photographed it first in the 60s and 70s and including recent work as well.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
This is The Last Days of W, by Alec Soth. It's an artist's book printed on newsprint, and it's awesome. It's the first of a series of books Alec Soth has printed on newsprint. Despite being significantly more flimsy than a traditionally bound book the printing quality is still pretty high, and that makes these newsprint books way cheaper to own, which is great, because the photos aren't any less awesome. First seeing Alec Soth's work while I was in high school is what got me interested in the idea that a series of photos can tell a story about something without their all directly containing that thing, and this book is a prime example of that.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

[...] I think most (if not the majority) of people using those services are getting copies made just for themselves, or friends/family, rather than trying to sell them commercially because a traditional publisher wouldn't touch them.

Yeah, that's pretty much the definition of "vanity press."

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 30, 2013

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I also recently got some of Alec Soth's work, "Three Valleys"
http://www.littlebrownmushroom.com/products/lbm-dispatch-4-three-valleys/

Only $18, and totally worth it, lots of great shots and stories, I need to order the entire set of LittleBrownMushroom dispatches.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

I also recently got some of Alec Soth's work, "Three Valleys"
http://www.littlebrownmushroom.com/products/lbm-dispatch-4-three-valleys/

Only $18, and totally worth it, lots of great shots and stories, I need to order the entire set of LittleBrownMushroom dispatches.

I have all of the other Dispatches, and I have to say I wish they were all color like The Last Days of W. Still so, so worth it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Want this book:

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Reichstag posted:

Want this book:

Looks like I found my birthday gift to myself.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Cookbooks: also photo books.

Fäviken

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dukeku posted:

Cookbooks: also photo books.

They aren't necessarily, but I love it when they are.

Also from Phaidon:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
These are the photo books I got for christmas. :3

A very Soth christmas.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
A worthwhile bump for this thread and this book project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sovietbusstops/soviet-bus-stops-limited-edition-photo-book

And one more Book project that looks worthy of some of our dollars.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1055996590/mossless-issue-three-the-united-states-2003-2013?ref=card

Musket fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 27, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I had a photo published in an analog zine called Cadillac Ranch Dressing:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
This is a good blog that showcases self-published photo books that are awesome. (NSFW) Self Publish, Be Happy

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

feigning interest posted:

This is a good blog that showcases self-published photo books that are awesome. (NSFW) Self Publish, Be Happy

This is great warning: dicks

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mods, please do the needful to the thread title TIA.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I just got a copy of this: http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Contact-Sheets-Center-Photography/dp/0500543992

Contact sheets by some very famous photographers. There are several iconic photos included in this book, and you get to see the other photos taken on the same roll of film, along with a brief explanation by the photographer. Did they work the scene and finally arrive at the photo we all know, or was it a serendipitous "decisive moment"? It's an awesome behind-the-scenes look at such images like the portraits of Margaret Thatcher, Muhammad Ali, and Che Guevara, or the man before the tanks at Tiananmen Square.

Seems kinda pricey at $100, but it's a huge loving tome. You really get your money's worth:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

404notfound posted:

I just got a copy of this: http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Contact-Sheets-Center-Photography/dp/0500543992

Contact sheets by some very famous photographers. There are several iconic photos included in this book, and you get to see the other photos taken on the same roll of film, along with a brief explanation by the photographer. Did they work the scene and finally arrive at the photo we all know, or was it a serendipitous "decisive moment"? It's an awesome behind-the-scenes look at such images like the portraits of Margaret Thatcher, Muhammad Ali, and Che Guevara, or the man before the tanks at Tiananmen Square.

Seems kinda pricey at $100, but it's a huge loving tome. You really get your money's worth:

That's pretty awesome. I love looking at contact sheets, I feel like I learn tons more about photography than just all the iconic "keepers".

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

404notfound posted:

I'm desperately procrastinating working on my dissertation, so I went looking for this book in the university library. I didn't find it, but I did find a review of it in The New York Times Book Review. It's behind a paywall (I think, library made me sign in but the result is buried in something called the Literature Resource Centre). Anyway, the review makes it sound like a highly awesome book. I added it to my amazon wishlist, today's been a great day for thinking about spending money I might have at some point in the future. Also, $100 is the current sale price, regular seems like closer to $150.

Here's the URL for the review, titled "Outtakes", if you can get access to it:

http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA274048272&v=2.1&u=usaskmain&it=r&p=LitRC&sw=w&asid=42b3a9c7e0bff02541c382e21c87440e

The New York Times Book Review By JENNIFER SCHUESSLER posted:

Patrick Zachmann's contact sheet showing a chaotic scene in Cape Town the day of Nelson Mandela's release from prison in 1990 goes dark after the 12th frame, when the blurry riot police shown firing straight ahead turned out to be pumping lead right into the photographer. ''They opened fire on you with bullets,'' Cartier-/Bresson wrote in a postcard, ''but just think of your camera as a flamethrower, and a lot more effective.''
1. loving amazing.

2. What was the name of that movie from a couple of years ago about photojournalists getting shot at in early-90's South Africa?

EDIT: \/\/\/ that's the one! Thanks!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 19, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

2. What was the name of that movie from a couple of years ago about photojournalists getting shot at in early-90's South Africa?

Bang Bang Club?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Link works fine, and it reminded me of the page with the Dali photos.

Many people have probably seen it at some point, but did you know it was all done with practical effects? And did you know that capturing it was exactly as tedious and frustrating as it looks (I think twenty-something takes to get it right)? Not only do you get about half a dozen outtake shots in the book, but you get some of the backstory of setting everything up. In an ultra–low-tech form of chimping, Halsman apparently went into the darkroom after every shot to develop it and see how it came out before making another attempt.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
If you live in NY you just missed CCNY's photo zine and self-published book fair.

But the NY Art Book Fair is going on this weekend at PS 1 if you wanted to check it out. There's also music and beer and a vending machine filled with art books. I'll probably go back tomorrow.

http://nyartbookfair.com

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Can any of you vouch for Mossless Magazine? I need to know if I should be $45+shipping poorer.

edit: Sold!

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 27, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

try it with a lime posted:

Can any of you vouch for Mossless Magazine? I need to know if I should be $45+shipping poorer.

Issues 1 & 2 were good but issue 3 is fantastic and absolutely worth the $45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Gonna have to snag me a copy I think, shipping to Aus isn't horrendous either.

• Locked thread