Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I got this a little bit ago, cat for scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Stephen Shore's Uncommon Places was re-released and on Amazon Prime. It's probably one of the best photo books I own next to Grays the Mountain Sends

http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Shore-Uncommon-Places-Complete/dp/1597113034/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

pootiebigwang posted:

Stephen Shore's Uncommon Places was re-released and on Amazon Prime. It's probably one of the best photo books I own next to Grays the Mountain Sends

http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Shore-Uncommon-Places-Complete/dp/1597113034/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

If you only buy one photo book this is pretty much the only one to get.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

whoa, great thread! I hadn't seen "Magnum Contact Sheets" or "Shooting Space" before. headed over to Amazon now to buy 'em both :D I consider it a badge of honor that I've had a photo printed in a Phaidon book but drat I'm jealous of the folks that got included in "Shooting Space".

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Why People Photograph by Robert Adams

Buy this loving book.

I got a copy for a dollar at used book sale and I managed to tear through the entire thing in one sitting. I've read and enjoyed excerpts from his essays on ASX in the past, but I never expected for thoughts I've had ruminating in my mind about photography to be defined so well and given such clear voice. I cannot emphasize this enough, if you enjoy or agonize thinking about your photography, buy this book now.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 19, 2015

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Hot tip, thanks.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

try it with a lime posted:

Buy this loving book.

I got a copy for a dollar at used book sale and I managed to tear through the entire thing in one sitting. I've read and enjoyed excerpts from his essays on ASX in the past, but I never expected for thoughts I've had ruminating in my mind about photography to be defined so well and given such clear voice. I cannot emphasize this enough, if you enjoy or agonize thinking about your photography, buy this book now.

Another really good read in the same vein might be this book by David Hurn: http://www.lenswork.com/obp.htm

Very illuminating and echoes a lot of my thoughts on being a 'photographer'.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

alkanphel posted:

Another really good read in the same vein might be this book by David Hurn: http://www.lenswork.com/obp.htm

Very illuminating and echoes a lot of my thoughts on being a 'photographer'.

I've read the David Hurn book. It's excellent. Just reading that book brought my photography to a new level, with how I approached taking photographs. There was a definite dip in my photo's quality when I tried incorporating the wisdom from it in what I was doing, but after a few months break (and some other stuff) I've come back much stronger with what I've been doing.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Buy this loving book.

Hell yeah I just got this one a few months ago and have read it three times.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Buy this loving book.

Yeah it's one of my favorite books, everyone please read it.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I loving love photo books. I should have started posting here earlier.
Here are my newest acquisitions/stuff thats currently on my desk:

Untitled by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Alkanphel's book is awesome. Nuff said.

DSCF5003 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Technically not a book per se, but one of those artsy fashion magazines printed on super heavy paper with the tears of angels (and priced accordingly). Some really interesting stuff there, but it kinda tries too hard to be edgy.

DSCF5006 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Michael Wolf's Hong Kong: front door/back door is kinda disappointing. I really like this guys stuff in general, and the work in this book is strong, but on a technical level a lot of these images fall apart. A great deal of images are muddy and unsharp, as if they are severe crops taken from an early digital sensor (which might be the case). I had a chance to see his later work from Transparent City in person, which was printed huge, and it didn't seem to suffer such problems. I feel like the book was printed too big.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Didn't realise you bought a copy, thanks for the support!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

If you're a fan of Missy Prince, she's being featured in the next Selektor magazine.

http://selektor.fr/magazine/missyprince/

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009
Huge fan of japanese photographers, one of my favorites is Shomei Tomatsu: Skin of the Nation
Looks like you can see some of the pages here: http://www.photoeye.com/BookteaseLight/bookteaselight.cfm?catalog=YU061
If you don't know Shomei Tomatsu and you like other Japanese photogs like Daido Moriyama or Araki you gotta check him out.

As far as photo books with words go, everyone who loves landscape photography should read Thoughts on Landscape: Collected Writings and Interviews by Frank Gohlke.

"Eden becomes the object of our desire only after we are cast out. The best landscape images, whatever their medium and whatever other emotions they may evoke, are predicated on that loss. They propose the possibility of an intimate connection with a world to which we have access only through our eyes, a promise containing its own denial. In the case of landscape photographs, the paradox is sharpened because the world represented must have existed for the picture to be made, and yet the existence of the photograph attests undeniably to that world's disappearance."

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Aperture put out a Tomatsu book last year, Chewing Gum and Chocolate. I tore through it at the Aperture store when I was in NY, it's a really good book and definitely worth getting if you're a fan of his-- it's still semi-reasonably priced too.

Gonna check out that Gohlke book, sounds dope.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Buy this loving book.

Read through it, it was great. I need to find more like it.
One thing did bug me about it though. It was his prose, or grammar or what have you. He keeps interjecting "in my opinion", "it seems to me", and its variants, and it just feels super unnecessary. We know it's his opinion, he wrote the book.

But yea, good book in all other respects.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Read through it, it was great. I need to find more like it.
One thing did bug me about it though. It was his prose, or grammar or what have you. He keeps interjecting "in my opinion", "it seems to me", and its variants, and it just feels super unnecessary. We know it's his opinion, he wrote the book.

But yea, good book in all other respects.

Have you read Shore's "The nature of Photographs"?
It is also throughly excellent and I can't recommend it enough.
His writing style is brief, but quite dense so you will probably have to re-read some paragraphs. It's totally worth it, however.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Been interested in a lot of southern photography as of late and coincidentally found William Christenberry's book Kodachromes for 20 bucks at a thrift store and I was very excited because he is an incredible photographer and these images are also incredible.

http://aperture.org/shop/william-christenberry-kodachromes-book

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

If you're a fan of Missy Prince, she's being featured in the next Selektor magazine.

http://selektor.fr/magazine/missyprince/

Pre-ordered this. Can't wait, she's rad.

Also, Mossless vol 3 is great, but I really don't like the book design. The photos are small and jammed together and the text is too small. I got it and kinda felt like, really?

There's an article in today's NYT about a book called "Project Lives", which is a collection of photographs taken by kids in NYC projects using disposable cameras. It looks pretty interesting (and all royalties go to NYCHA programs).

Link: http://www.powerhousebooks.com/books/project-lives/

VomitOnLino posted:

Have you read Shore's "The nature of Photographs"?
It is also throughly excellent and I can't recommend it enough.
His writing style is brief, but quite dense so you will probably have to re-read some paragraphs. It's totally worth it, however.

Just bought this from the Strand as well and I've been reading it slowly. There's not much text, but I'm enjoying it.

Oh, and speaking of selektor, does anyone have the either of their two prior releases (Alex Cretey Systermans and Shane Lynam)? I like both of their work a lot.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Awkward Davies posted:

Oh, and speaking of selektor, does anyone have the either of their two prior releases (Alex Cretey Systermans and Shane Lynam)? I like both of their work a lot.
I've got both; really good. The paper's a little thin but I understand it's thicker in issue 3.

I just pre-ordered Ciarán Óg Arnold's I went to the worst of bars hoping to get killed. but all I could do was to get drunk again. I'm looking forward to the publication of Luigi Ghirri's The Complete Essays 1973–1991.

Ric fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 26, 2015

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So, does anyone know anything about printing a photo zine? How one would even go about doing that?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Awkward Davies posted:

So, does anyone know anything about printing a photo zine? How one would even go about doing that?

I folded up some paper into a 1/4 sheet zine and laid out my photos and then unfolded it to get my print layout, put that into a pdf and got doublesided color copies which I sliced in half and stapled and then lost money selling them all because making money on zines is not very punx

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I folded up some paper into a 1/4 sheet zine and laid out my photos and then unfolded it to get my print layout, put that into a pdf and got doublesided color copies which I sliced in half and stapled and then lost money selling them all because making money on zines is not very punx

lol if you think the point of a zine is to make money not to print at huge expense and foist on family and friends who will slot it into a bookcase and throw it out the next time they move (that's my plan at least).

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What happened to the zine exchange ting that was about to go down?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
While not really books, but I figured it fits here, Magnum are having a sale of small signed prints from a bunch of their photographers, 6"x6" for $100, here's the Alec Soth one that I might get:

http://store.magnumphotos.com/collections/square-prints-sale/products/magnum-square-print-by-alec-soth

And the full list:
http://store.magnumphotos.com/collections/square-prints-sale

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Spedman posted:

While not really books, but I figured it fits here, Magnum are having a sale of small signed prints from a bunch of their photographers, 6"x6" for $100, here's the Alec Soth one that I might get:

http://store.magnumphotos.com/collections/square-prints-sale/products/magnum-square-print-by-alec-soth

And the full list:
http://store.magnumphotos.com/collections/square-prints-sale

Looks like I need to spend some cash.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
$5 thriftstore find

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Awkward Davies posted:

For anyone interested, the Systermans issue is currently discounted: http://selektor.fr/magazine/alexcreteysystermans/

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Maybe a little different than most of the collections posted here, but I finally got to look through my copy of Save the Last Dance. Really beautiful stuff with a conservation message, and the photog is a great guy (got to hang out with him for a couple of days this spring).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Two of my favorites:

The Chinese one I found when I was looking through my library's photography section, I liked the photos so much I found a copy on Amazon on my phone and ordered it right there. Photographs for the Tsar was actually a friend's thrift store find that he left over and never claimed, which is good because it's an amazing book full of some of the earliest color photos ever

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

2 books from my favourite Japanese photographer Toshio Shibata: Visions of Japan and Contacts

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

^ Nice. I have Contacts, would love to see the large prints of the same images.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ric posted:

^ Nice. I have Contacts, would love to see the large prints of the same images.

Yeah it's a shame the books are so small, would have been great if they were in a normal/large photobook size!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

alkanphel posted:

Yeah it's a shame the books are so small, would have been great if they were in a normal/large photobook size!
I like the book as it is! I tend to like small books for their portability and the personal viewing experience. Here, I also really like the concept that he normally makes huge, immersive prints but these contact prints distill the images to their geometric essence. I just wish I'd seen the prints to experience the contrast, rather than just mid-sized images online.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Got a fat stack of Life Library of Photography books, at a local Goodwill for a 50 cents a piece. Really awesome set of books dealing with different facets of photography, and filled with Life Magazines gorgeous photos.
The information in these books is really good too, especially if you are shooting film. There is a whole section in one of the books on diagnosing problems in color negative development for example, and one for preparing your film gear for arctic environments. I highly recommend them, especially since last time I looked amazon resellers have them even cheaper than what I got them for.

_DSF0044 by Maciej, on Flickr
_DSF0046 by Maciej, on Flickr_DSF0049 by Maciej, on Flickr_DSF0051 by Maciej, on Flickr

Putrid Grin fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 6, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ric posted:

I like the book as it is! I tend to like small books for their portability and the personal viewing experience. Here, I also really like the concept that he normally makes huge, immersive prints but these contact prints distill the images to their geometric essence. I just wish I'd seen the prints to experience the contrast, rather than just mid-sized images online.

Ah for me I do prefer larger books so that I can see more details, as I feel his photos are printed just a bit too small in the books. I really wish I could see those huge prints in person though!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just saw that Curran Hatleberg is releasing a book later this fall with TBW Books. I really like his stuff. Cant seem to find a place to order it, but I guess I'll keep an eye out.

http://www.vice.com/read/lost-coast-0000714-v22n8

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Just fantastic. There are a few photos that broke the tone at just the right moments and really shocked me with the contrast (in the plates themselves + between them and the super neutral majority of the book).

I like getting secondhand photo books when I can because I feel like I can actually read them since they're just books.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Where do you find second hand photobooks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

bobmarleysghost posted:

Where do you find second hand photobooks?

eBay, Amazon, bookstores, same as any other books. you aren't as likely to find more esoteric books for low prices but any decently well known photographers books shouldn't be too hard to find.

• Locked thread