Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
AbeBooks is good for the really, really esoteric stuff, but prices will not be low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I somehow dropped $150 just re-reading this thread.

I got this for $1 at a yard sale and it's fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Bound-Glory-A...bound+for+glory

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

For some reason I never thought to check those sites. I wonder if the second hand photo book market is super niche.
Time to dive into the net and see what I can find.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bobmarleysghost posted:

Where do you find second hand photobooks?

Used book stores. It helps to live in a college town or city with a strong art/academia scene. Like, say- the People's Republic of Boston/Cambridge.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Anyone that has ordered something from Mossless have zero notifcations for shipping / order confirmation? I got charged for the issue I bought a week ago but then nothing.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Thoogsby posted:

Anyone that has ordered something from Mossless have zero notifcations for shipping / order confirmation? I got charged for the issue I bought a week ago but then nothing.

I've never ordered directly from Mossless but that's pretty standard for small independent publishers TBH. Same goes for record labels. It's usually one person handling everything shipping related so it's not exactly fast.

Any new york goons going to the New York Art Book Fair next weekend, Sept 18-20? If you have any interest in photo books or zines you really should try to make it down there.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Thoogsby posted:

I've ordered from them before and had the local postal service gently caress up and sent the book all the way back to US from Australia, and Mossless were good enough to resend the book. Get in touch with them if you're having problems.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

feigning interest posted:

I've never ordered directly from Mossless but that's pretty standard for small independent publishers TBH. Same goes for record labels. It's usually one person handling everything shipping related so it's not exactly fast.

Any new york goons going to the New York Art Book Fair next weekend, Sept 18-20? If you have any interest in photo books or zines you really should try to make it down there.

Godammit I'll be out of town for a wedding. gently caress, I'd really like to go.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Anyone listen to Bryan Formhals' podcast?

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Used book stores. It helps to live in a college town or city with a strong art/academia scene. Like, say- the People's Republic of Boston/Cambridge.

I actually kick myself now a day because back a few years ago when i was still in Uni, on campus there would regularly be second hand book sales, including photography books for just a couple dollars., and I never actually took the time to browse around and buy any because I was so focused on studying. If only...

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Can anyone make some must-have recommendations for documentary style portraiture?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I would like to know this too.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Thoogsby posted:

Can anyone make some must-have recommendations for documentary style portraiture?

What is documentary style portraiture?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

365 Nog Hogger posted:

What is documentary style portraiture?

I'm not sure either but I'm guessing just documentary photography that focuses on people? :confused:

Steve McCurry - Portraits
Mike Brody - A Period of Juvenile Prosperity
Tim Hetherington - Infidel
Edward S. Curtis - The North American Indian

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Yeah sorry I kind of invented a term for what I was thinking of. Thanks for the recommendations.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I just bought Paul Graham's The Whiteness of the Whale. It combines American Night, a shimmer of possibility and The Present, which I couldn't afford when they came out and even less now, so I'm very pleased to have it. Mack has published most of my favourite books of the past few years.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Thoogsby posted:

Yeah sorry I kind of invented a term for what I was thinking of. Thanks for the recommendations.

Actually documentary portraiture pretty much describes the late Mary Ellen Mark's style.

http://www.maryellenmark.com/

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Apart from the LPV Show and Jörg Colberg's youtube channel he stopped updating, are there any video or podcast discussions of photobooks kicking around?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Well, this looks loving incredible

http://oneyearofbooks.tumblr.com/post/129768322517/christian-patterson-bottom-of-the-lake

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Starting an LPV Show game where you take a drink every time Bryan mentions his screenplay.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I made my own photo book. It's terrible, but at least I got the name right...

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

I made my own photo book. It's terrible, but at least I got the name right...

I dig it. Would you mind discussing paper, binding, and layout tools?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Dren posted:

I dig it. Would you mind discussing paper, binding, and layout tools?

Of course.

It's basically a 20 page zine. The pages are a 150 gsm silk art paper and the cover is the same except 170 gsm. The pages look sweet but if (when) I do this again I'll probably fork out some extra money to upgrade the paper of the cover to a more textured fine art paper, probably about 200 gsm.

It has a basic saddle stitch (ie. a couple of staples along the spine.)

I used and taught myself Adobe Indesign for the layout - I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out on my first attempt, but I've since learned a lot about magazine design by buying and dissecting some really high quality art and culture magazines. Probably should have done that first, but you live and learn.

When it was all complete I sent it off to a local printing company. It cost $4 per copy for fifty copies.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'd like a copy actually.
$4 for 50 copies is nothing! I'm gonna do the same. $4 per copy is still not bad.

PS. The title font (and the capitalised letters font) is really bad.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

Of course.

It's basically a 20 page zine. The pages are a 150 gsm silk art paper and the cover is the same except 170 gsm. The pages look sweet but if (when) I do this again I'll probably fork out some extra money to upgrade the paper of the cover to a more textured fine art paper, probably about 200 gsm.

It has a basic saddle stitch (ie. a couple of staples along the spine.)

I used and taught myself Adobe Indesign for the layout - I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out on my first attempt, but I've since learned a lot about magazine design by buying and dissecting some really high quality art and culture magazines. Probably should have done that first, but you live and learn.

When it was all complete I sent it off to a local printing company. It cost $4 per copy for fifty copies.

thanks, did you supply the printing company with the paper or was it something they had?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
$4 a copy is really good, you planning on selling some to us (at a higher price hopefully)???

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Maybe I should start pimping my zines here too.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

We should create a Dorkroom zine in all honesty.

Ps yes if you have a zine you should be posting it

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

bobmarleysghost posted:

We should create a Dorkroom zine in all honesty.

Ps yes if you have a zine you should be posting it

Quoting because I fully endorse both of these.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'd like a copy actually.
$4 for 50 copies is nothing! I'm gonna do the same. $4 per copy is still not bad.

PS. The title font (and the capitalised letters font) is really bad.

Yeah I had no idea about design when I put this thing together. I have since taught myself more about design. Too late for this zine, but when I release volume 2 one day it'll probably look nicer.

Dren posted:

thanks, did you supply the printing company with the paper or was it something they had?

They had the paper. They have access to thousands of different types of paper and I just chose one from a swatch. Since this was my first foray, I went for a balance of affordable and presentable but I'd fork out more in future now I know what I'm doing.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

$4 a copy is really good, you planning on selling some to us (at a higher price hopefully)???

Gladly. $10 inclusive of postage within Australia or $15 anywhere else in the world. Either send me a PM or email me at garbutt at gmail dot com and I'll hook you up.

Edit: I too would be keen on a Dorkroom zine.

Edit2: in fact I'd be happy to organize and design the thing if nobody else wants to take charge.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 11, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Here are my 3 zines:

Japan Quietly
What We Remember
Until We Meet

They're all printed and distributed via MagCloud.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

EDIT: ^ Definitely ordering "What we remember"

It really is something we should all have a go at and sell each other. Way better than shoving pixels on here to gawk at.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

EDIT: ^ Definitely ordering "What we remember"

It really is something we should all have a go at and sell each other. Way better than shoving pixels on here to gawk at.

Thanks! I'd say that 95% of the photos in those zines haven't been shown in the Dorkroom, so at least it's something new for those buying them.

And yeah it would be good to see more zines from Dorkroomers. The only one I have is from 365 Nog Hogger I think.

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 11, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

alkanphel posted:

Thanks! I'd say that 95% of the photos in those zines haven't been shown in the Dorkroom, so at least it's something new for those buying them.

It really does blow me away how much you shoot, and the consistent quality.

I'm looking forward to putting a zine together, seems much more manageable than doing a show, both in terms of cash and time.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

It really does blow me away how much you shoot, and the consistent quality.

I'm looking forward to putting a zine together, seems much more manageable than doing a show, both in terms of cash and time.

Thanks again, and yes you should definitely do a zine because it really forces you to work on your curation and sequencing. You really learn a lot just by even attempting it seriously.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

You got a link that I can use to throw cash money in your face with?

E: disregard, didn't notice the links

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 12, 2015

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ima buy all your zines. I'm also putting together one, tho I have no idea when I'll be done with it.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

If people are seriously interested in participating in a Dorkroom zine, I'd be happy to organise and produce it.

I've been getting some prices on some seriously high quality papers with very low print runs. It's surprisingly affordable. Even more so for any of you non-Australian goons given the current value of Australian dollarydoos.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

If people are seriously interested in participating in a Dorkroom zine, I'd be happy to organise and produce it.

I've been getting some prices on some seriously high quality papers with very low print runs. It's surprisingly affordable. Even more so for any of you non-Australian goons given the current value of Australian dollarydoos.

Make a thread and lay out how you want this to work in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

elgarbo posted:

It would be really great.

Dren posted:

Make a thread and lay out how you want this to work in the OP

• Locked thread