Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
I would contribute some of my terrible photos to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

elgarbo posted:

If people are seriously interested in participating in a Dorkroom zine, I'd be happy to organise and produce it.

I've been getting some prices on some seriously high quality papers with very low print runs. It's surprisingly affordable. Even more so for any of you non-Australian goons given the current value of Australian dollarydoos.

Make it so.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

It is done. And now, to leave this thread to the serious book talk.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

who makes the best photobooks for the Vain Photographer?

I just finished a mega trip out to California and want to make a nice photobook for my girlfriend for christmas! Here's a picture that I took!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Guitarchitect posted:

who makes the best photobooks for the Vain Photographer?

I just finished a mega trip out to California and want to make a nice photobook for my girlfriend for christmas! Here's a picture that I took!

You can consider Blurb.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

elgarbo posted:

It is done. And now, to leave this thread to the serious book talk.

Posting cause your zine came in the mail today. Haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly yet, but the print quality is great. Really nice colors and mastering (what's the book printing term for levels setting?). Only thing I might recommend for international shipping is a little cardboard or card-stock insert in the envelope if you can find a cost-effective way to do it. No major damage to my copy but it got a bit bent and the envelope was a bit torn, and I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on any part of this gem!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Hey thanks man. Yeah I made a few first time mistakes on it. Going for an A4 format basically meant the envelope was full with little room for protection. Next time I'll be better prepared.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
Do you have any tips on setting up layout/using In Design? I wanted to make some of these, would love to categorize some of my travels into print. Also really gorgeous work to the ones posted so far, definitely an inspiration.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

MythObstacleIV posted:

Do you have any tips on setting up layout/using In Design? I wanted to make some of these, would love to categorize some of my travels into print. Also really gorgeous work to the ones posted so far, definitely an inspiration.

Yeah I just copied layouts from photobooks I own. I figure if it's good enough for Stephen Shore it's good enough for me.

As for using InDesign? Coming from Photoshop it's completely unintuitive. I just did specific internet searches to solve problems whenever I hit a brick wall (which was pretty much every time I tried to do something for the first time.)

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147

elgarbo posted:

Yeah I just copied layouts from photobooks I own. I figure if it's good enough for Stephen Shore it's good enough for me.

As for using InDesign? Coming from Photoshop it's completely unintuitive. I just did specific internet searches to solve problems whenever I hit a brick wall (which was pretty much every time I tried to do something for the first time.)

I would prefer to use PS as I know that quite well. Do you just make each page or spread as a separate pdf file? I'll have to browse for templates or how to get the formatting right. Thanks for the tips.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Since the holidays are coming up, filling my photobook wishlist up. I'm interested in picking up something by William Eggleston--what book would you guys recommend?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
William Eggleston's Guide

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Chromes and then make a video of you blending it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Fraction is having a big print sale: http://fractionhps.bigcartel.com/

e: Wish I could justify spending $400 for that Laura Pannack 10x10

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 23, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here's a really nice online only photo book/zine series, download the high-res pdf for free:

http://www.unlessyouwill.com

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Spedman posted:

Here's a really nice online only photo book/zine series, download the high-res pdf for free:

http://www.unlessyouwill.com

This is solid, thanks.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

:kimchi:

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Haha good lord those are small! I was considering getting the set because I'd really like a copy of Niagara but man I dunno if I'd be happy with a copy that tiny. :( Awesome package though!

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
They're perfect for me because I have a tiny coffee table.

(The postcards are pretty cool but I agree, it's a bit of a novelty)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Can anyone here vouch for Color: American Photography Transformed or How You Look at It: Photographs of the 20th Century?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

try it with a lime posted:

Can anyone here vouch for Color: American Photography Transformed?
Mentioned on p1 but not sure if anyone actually bought it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Amazon has 25% off a single book max $10 through the 14th with code 25OFFBOOK

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I recently discovered that Australian surf magazines have transformed into incredible, affordable photo books.

For example, I got this today:

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 19, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

elgarbo posted:

I recently discovered that Australian surf magazines have transformed into incredible, affordable photo books.

For example, I got this today:

:swoon:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

My sister came through big time with an early Christmas present.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Thoogsby posted:

My sister came through big time with an early Christmas present.

You've got a rad sister, awesome book.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The NY Times have posted their Best Photo Books of 2015.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

"Kim" is Kim Kardashian West, and "Selfish" is her book of hundreds of her selfies. She doesn’t waste time refuting the predictable accusations. She instead goes full-bore on the project, with artful and convincing obsessiveness. Many of the pictures are imperfect, taken in low light, and with lurid colors — which is part of why they are good photos.

:raise:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

"Kim" is Kim Kardashian West, and "Selfish" is her book of hundreds of her selfies. She doesn’t waste time refuting the predictable accusations. She instead goes full-bore on the project, with artful and convincing obsessiveness. Many of the pictures are imperfect, taken in low light, and with lurid colors — which is part of why they are good photos.

Shut down the NY Times

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

DJExile posted:

Shut down the NY Times

Someone's gotta be paying the bills, and it certainly isn't my non-subscriber rear end.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

BobTheCow posted:

poo poo like this is why I will never go to Art Basel

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of flicking through a copy of Selfish. Taken individually on merit each photograph probably is terrible, and the concept behind the book might be borne of shallow narcissism, but there's an argument to be made those very reasons are why it reflects a large section of modern society. As such is becomes a legitimate and notable cultural record and so it succeeds as a photobook, if not in the way the author intended (or evidently the way the NY Times writer enjoyed it).

Time to sleep and see if Santa leaves me any photobooks...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MMD3 posted:

poo poo like this is why I will never go to Art Basel

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Another new pick up. Only leafed through it so far but it's really cool!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

According to tumblr LPV Show S3E1 should be dropping tomorrow.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I got this before Christmas. This is Nowhere by Jeremy Koreski. I backed it on Kickstarter because I met Jeremy on a trip to BC a few years ago.

It's really just an ode to the British Columbia coast, in and and around Vancouver Island, Tofino, etc. 1 part Surf, 1 part Flyfishing, 1 part WIldlife, 1 part Landscape. Lots of beautiful work though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Lost Photos of Scott by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I noticed this from the Starbucks line at my local Chapters. It's got a pretty discussion about the rise of photography among explorers and the Royal Navy in the early 20th century, along with some great photos.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
More architecture than photography, but I picked up an old copy of Living Architecture: Islamic Indian for a couple of euro bucks and there's some good stuff in here.

(also keep this thread alive 'cos I've used it as a guide to pick up some nice stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I came across Sam Abell's Life of a Photograph at a thrift store yesterday. No idea who he is other than a Nat'l Geographic photographer, but the book shows multiple takes of the same scene or subject. Really cool and interesting. Much of the subject matter seems to be right up Dorkroom's alley, too.

• Locked thread