Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Back when I was working on my undergrad thesis (and later when I had graduated but was still working on campus), I used to take sanity breaks and go up to the 5th floor of the library, where all the photo books were. Pick five or so at random, go sit down, and page through them. I'd sometimes check out the really interesting ones and scan stuff I really liked (no idea what happened to the files though), and if I could find a copy cheap enough, buy one for myself secondhand. Sadly, all of those are boxed up in storage back in the US. On my bookshelf now I only have one book of strictly photos (みさお と ふくまる by Mioko Ihara, which is series of an elderly lady who lives in the countryside, and her cat with mismatched colored eyes), the rest are sorta technique or theory oriented. I need to re-read "Criticizing Photographs", picked it up on a Dorkroom recommendation and it was really good. I've also got the monumental "Way Beyond Monochrome" tome to read too, as well as a few digital post-processing books :negative: I think I'm finding Youtube tutorials preferable to the latter though.

I used to pick up Aperture, Photo Technique, and B&W on occasion at newsstands when I lived in the US, and would probably have a subscription to at least one of them if I was still there.

MrBlandAverage posted:

There are also places where people make print-on-demand photo books, like MagCloud, Blurb, Moleskine, and Lulu, but these are basically vanity presses.

I guess this rubs me the wrong way because "vanity press" is typically pejorative, and I think most (if not the majority) of people using those services are getting copies made just for themselves, or friends/family, rather than trying to sell them commercially because a traditional publisher wouldn't touch them. I've got a book of photos I took from the year I studied in Thailand (plus traveling afterwards) I had printed through Inkubook, and it's such a drat nice thing to have.

Inkubook went under not too long ago, so I'm going to have to find a new place to do them with. So far the Thailand/Southeast Asia one is the only one I've printed, but I'd like to go back and do them for other periods of my photo-taking life (deliminations kinda arbitrary, mostly based on how much material I have to work with: college, post-college, a trip to British Columbia, a roadtrip across the States, each year I've lived in Japan, and probably a book per year afterwards). I was curious how difficult it would be to actually just learn to print/bind them myself, so that I can maintain a consistent look across years (rather than have to worry about whatever company I was using going out of business). Does anyone have any experience with that?

Really, I can't recommend making books of your stuff enough. They're nice to sit down and leaf through, and I've found that other people especially like them.

edit: books own git yo books printed

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

404notfound posted:

I just got a copy of this: http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Contact-Sheets-Center-Photography/dp/0500543992

Contact sheets by some very famous photographers. There are several iconic photos included in this book, and you get to see the other photos taken on the same roll of film, along with a brief explanation by the photographer. Did they work the scene and finally arrive at the photo we all know, or was it a serendipitous "decisive moment"? It's an awesome behind-the-scenes look at such images like the portraits of Margaret Thatcher, Muhammad Ali, and Che Guevara, or the man before the tanks at Tiananmen Square.

Seems kinda pricey at $100, but it's a huge loving tome. You really get your money's worth:

That's pretty awesome. I love looking at contact sheets, I feel like I learn tons more about photography than just all the iconic "keepers".

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Not really a book of photos per se (there are some throughout), but I just finished River of Shadows: Edweard Muybridge and the Technological Wild West. It definitely indulges in some pretentious navel-gazing, and doesn't focus entirely on Muybridge and his work (Muybridge and his work are more or less the centerpiece around which the author discusses the settlement of the American West), but it was still a pretty informative read and I'd recommend it to anyone who thinks they'd be interested.

• Locked thread