Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Newsprint has been having a minor revival in small run publishing, such as Alec Soth and Co.'s excellent documentaryish LBM Dispatches. I only have these 3, but I need more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I also don't really understand the recs for it, there are like 3 concepts in the book, and they can all be explained in a page each iirc.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Want this book:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
These are the photo books I got for christmas. :3

A very Soth christmas.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
currently a stack on my floor, but once i get into a better place+get moving expenses done with... Collecting intensifies.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

deaders posted:

Probably worth it, haven't read it myself though.

FYI there will be new edition of Robert Adam's The New West coming out this year, you can preorder on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Adams-The-New-West/dp/3869309008/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

:rznv: :fh:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

try it with a lime posted:

Why People Photograph by Robert Adams

Buy this loving book.

I got a copy for a dollar at used book sale and I managed to tear through the entire thing in one sitting. I've read and enjoyed excerpts from his essays on ASX in the past, but I never expected for thoughts I've had ruminating in my mind about photography to be defined so well and given such clear voice. I cannot emphasize this enough, if you enjoy or agonize thinking about your photography, buy this book now.

Yeah it's one of my favorite books, everyone please read it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Awkward Davies posted:

So, does anyone know anything about printing a photo zine? How one would even go about doing that?

I folded up some paper into a 1/4 sheet zine and laid out my photos and then unfolded it to get my print layout, put that into a pdf and got doublesided color copies which I sliced in half and stapled and then lost money selling them all because making money on zines is not very punx

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Just fantastic. There are a few photos that broke the tone at just the right moments and really shocked me with the contrast (in the plates themselves + between them and the super neutral majority of the book).

I like getting secondhand photo books when I can because I feel like I can actually read them since they're just books.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

bobmarleysghost posted:

Where do you find second hand photobooks?

eBay, Amazon, bookstores, same as any other books. you aren't as likely to find more esoteric books for low prices but any decently well known photographers books shouldn't be too hard to find.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Thoogsby posted:

Can anyone make some must-have recommendations for documentary style portraiture?

What is documentary style portraiture?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
$4 a copy is really good, you planning on selling some to us (at a higher price hopefully)???

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

bobmarleysghost posted:

We should create a Dorkroom zine in all honesty.

Ps yes if you have a zine you should be posting it

Quoting because I fully endorse both of these.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

elgarbo posted:

It is done. And now, to leave this thread to the serious book talk.

Posting cause your zine came in the mail today. Haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly yet, but the print quality is great. Really nice colors and mastering (what's the book printing term for levels setting?). Only thing I might recommend for international shipping is a little cardboard or card-stock insert in the envelope if you can find a cost-effective way to do it. No major damage to my copy but it got a bit bent and the envelope was a bit torn, and I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on any part of this gem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

• Locked thread