Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

I made my own photo book. It's terrible, but at least I got the name right...

I dig it. Would you mind discussing paper, binding, and layout tools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

Of course.

It's basically a 20 page zine. The pages are a 150 gsm silk art paper and the cover is the same except 170 gsm. The pages look sweet but if (when) I do this again I'll probably fork out some extra money to upgrade the paper of the cover to a more textured fine art paper, probably about 200 gsm.

It has a basic saddle stitch (ie. a couple of staples along the spine.)

I used and taught myself Adobe Indesign for the layout - I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out on my first attempt, but I've since learned a lot about magazine design by buying and dissecting some really high quality art and culture magazines. Probably should have done that first, but you live and learn.

When it was all complete I sent it off to a local printing company. It cost $4 per copy for fifty copies.

thanks, did you supply the printing company with the paper or was it something they had?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

If people are seriously interested in participating in a Dorkroom zine, I'd be happy to organise and produce it.

I've been getting some prices on some seriously high quality papers with very low print runs. It's surprisingly affordable. Even more so for any of you non-Australian goons given the current value of Australian dollarydoos.

Make a thread and lay out how you want this to work in the OP

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Amazon has 25% off a single book max $10 through the 14th with code 25OFFBOOK

• Locked thread