Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
This is a photo book.

These are also photo books.

Photo books can be printed in a variety of ways, including on inkjet/laser printers, like from Hamburger Eyes.

Photo books don't have to have photos in them - they can also have discussion and criticism of photos.

Photo books don't have to be about art - Understanding Exposure is an instructional photo book that's often recommended in the Dorkroom for beginners.

For this discussion we'll also consider magazines like Aperture, which is probably one of the longest running periodicals in existence. Zines are also cool here.

Besides the magazine, Aperture also publishes photo books, like the Bernd & Hilla Becher book at the top. Other publishers that publish lots of photo books are Steidl, Hatje Cantz, Phaidon, Twin Palms, Nazraeli, Taschen, and Little Brown Mushroom. There are also places where people make print-on-demand photo books, like MagCloud, Blurb, Moleskine, and Lulu, but these are basically vanity presses.

Discuss your favorite photo books! I'll put up reviews of mine as I have time to do them.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sharizard posted:

This is probably a really stupid question, but can online photo magazines like Square also be discussed in this thread or is this strictly a print + paper affair?

Yeah, I was hoping to keep this limited to physical media - you should make a separate effort thread about online photo magazines/blogs!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
This is The Last Days of W, by Alec Soth. It's an artist's book printed on newsprint, and it's awesome. It's the first of a series of books Alec Soth has printed on newsprint. Despite being significantly more flimsy than a traditionally bound book the printing quality is still pretty high, and that makes these newsprint books way cheaper to own, which is great, because the photos aren't any less awesome. First seeing Alec Soth's work while I was in high school is what got me interested in the idea that a series of photos can tell a story about something without their all directly containing that thing, and this book is a prime example of that.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

[...] I think most (if not the majority) of people using those services are getting copies made just for themselves, or friends/family, rather than trying to sell them commercially because a traditional publisher wouldn't touch them.

Yeah, that's pretty much the definition of "vanity press."

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 30, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

I also recently got some of Alec Soth's work, "Three Valleys"
http://www.littlebrownmushroom.com/products/lbm-dispatch-4-three-valleys/

Only $18, and totally worth it, lots of great shots and stories, I need to order the entire set of LittleBrownMushroom dispatches.

I have all of the other Dispatches, and I have to say I wish they were all color like The Last Days of W. Still so, so worth it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dukeku posted:

Cookbooks: also photo books.

They aren't necessarily, but I love it when they are.

Also from Phaidon:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I had a photo published in an analog zine called Cadillac Ranch Dressing:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

2. What was the name of that movie from a couple of years ago about photojournalists getting shot at in early-90's South Africa?

Bang Bang Club?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

try it with a lime posted:

Can any of you vouch for Mossless Magazine? I need to know if I should be $45+shipping poorer.

Issues 1 & 2 were good but issue 3 is fantastic and absolutely worth the $45.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'd like to see all of your photobook collections. Do you have a stack in a corner? Or are they sprawled on the coffee table? In your lab?

I need more bookshelves :shepface:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Shelf-killing acquisitions continue unabated. I've been waiting for this one.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

try it with a lime posted:

Did that motherfucker finally get a reprint or did you decimate your wallet?

edit: buyin' dis

Yep, second edition. :getin:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
picked up on woot fatigue's recommendation

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Breadnought posted:

Just got my copies Mossless and Grays the Mountain Sends, everyone who recommended them was super right. And lucky me, a gallery in NYC is showing pictures from Grays the Mountain Sends until January 11. I hope the prints are gigantic.

It's probably the same prints I saw, which makes them up to 40x50 :getin:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
AbeBooks is good for the really, really esoteric stuff, but prices will not be low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

365 Nog Hogger posted:

What is documentary style portraiture?

I'm not sure either but I'm guessing just documentary photography that focuses on people? :confused:

Steve McCurry - Portraits
Mike Brody - A Period of Juvenile Prosperity
Tim Hetherington - Infidel
Edward S. Curtis - The North American Indian

• Locked thread