Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've been trying to buy photo books when I can, I love flipping through them. My favorite that I own currently is definitely "The Iconic Photographs" by Steve McCurry.

It's a larger book than you'd expect for the price, which is pretty incredible in contrast with most other comparable books, and it's full of a ton of a gorgeous photos.

Also, on a somewhat related note, I just posted over in the photojournalism thread about a handful of books being funded through Kickstarter if anybody wants to check those out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536198&pagenumber=4#post420338160

BobTheCow posted:

I've been interested in a handful of Kickstarter projects lately by photojournalists putting out books of their work. These are two that I've contributed toward, I'm super excited to see the final products:

Common Ground by Scott Strazzante

A project now 20 years in the making documenting the life of a farm and the subsequent transition to a suburban subdivision, presented as a series of diptychs in the book.

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by Preston Gannaway

A former Virginian-Pilot photojournalist and Pulitzer winner documented a troubled Norfolk neighborhood during her last few years in the area.

And here's one that I only just learned about :

Red Ball of a Sun Slipping Down by Eugene Richards

Eugene Richards has been doing this for a long time, both independently and as a Magnum member. This book is about southern poverty, race and aging as he photographed it first in the 60s and 70s and including recent work as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

"Kim" is Kim Kardashian West, and "Selfish" is her book of hundreds of her selfies. She doesn’t waste time refuting the predictable accusations. She instead goes full-bore on the project, with artful and convincing obsessiveness. Many of the pictures are imperfect, taken in low light, and with lurid colors — which is part of why they are good photos.

:raise:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

BANME.sh posted:

I came across Sam Abell's Life of a Photograph at a thrift store yesterday. No idea who he is other than a Nat'l Geographic photographer, but the book shows multiple takes of the same scene or subject. Really cool and interesting. Much of the subject matter seems to be right up Dorkroom's alley, too.

Sam Abell owns, I've got a signed version of that book and it's one of my favorites. He was one of my earliest influences and still is today. His photo of cowboys branding cattle has always stuck with me: http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/wallpaper/ngm/50-best/cowboys-branding-abell/

If y'all don't know Alex Webb, check him out too, works with layers amazingly well in a similar way. The Suffering of Light is probably my single favorite photo book right now.

• Locked thread