Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I too need more shelves.

MrBlandAverage posted:

I need more bookshelves :shepface:
I see one two we both have.

Ric fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I'm really pleased to finally have a copy of Takashi Yasumura's Domestic scandals, I've wanted it for years.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I've got the New Topographics one too. It's good, the essays are very thorough, and it's pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Awkward Davies posted:

Oh, and speaking of selektor, does anyone have the either of their two prior releases (Alex Cretey Systermans and Shane Lynam)? I like both of their work a lot.
I've got both; really good. The paper's a little thin but I understand it's thicker in issue 3.

I just pre-ordered Ciarán Óg Arnold's I went to the worst of bars hoping to get killed. but all I could do was to get drunk again. I'm looking forward to the publication of Luigi Ghirri's The Complete Essays 1973–1991.

Ric fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 26, 2015

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Awkward Davies posted:

Oh, and speaking of selektor, does anyone have the either of their two prior releases (Alex Cretey Systermans and Shane Lynam)? I like both of their work a lot.

For anyone interested, the Systermans issue is currently discounted: http://selektor.fr/magazine/alexcreteysystermans/

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

^ Nice. I have Contacts, would love to see the large prints of the same images.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

alkanphel posted:

Yeah it's a shame the books are so small, would have been great if they were in a normal/large photobook size!
I like the book as it is! I tend to like small books for their portability and the personal viewing experience. Here, I also really like the concept that he normally makes huge, immersive prints but these contact prints distill the images to their geometric essence. I just wish I'd seen the prints to experience the contrast, rather than just mid-sized images online.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I just bought Paul Graham's The Whiteness of the Whale. It combines American Night, a shimmer of possibility and The Present, which I couldn't afford when they came out and even less now, so I'm very pleased to have it. Mack has published most of my favourite books of the past few years.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

try it with a lime posted:

Can anyone here vouch for Color: American Photography Transformed?
Mentioned on p1 but not sure if anyone actually bought it.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

crap nerd posted:

More architecture than photography, but I picked up an old copy of Living Architecture: Islamic Indian for a couple of euro bucks and there's some good stuff in here.

(also keep this thread alive 'cos I've used it as a guide to pick up some nice stuff)
I bought this today after discovering it here, thanks. I found a nice used copy in a local book shop.

Here are a few other great books I've got in recent months:
Rinko Kawauchi: Illuminance (2011)
Michael Mack (ed): Reconstructing Space (1999)
Jason Nocito: Loads (2009)
Juergen Teller and Nicolas Ghesquière: The Flow (2015)
Wolfgang Tillmans: Tillmans/Tillmans Burg/Truth Study Centre set (2011)

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Aperture are soon to publish a Todd Hido mid career retrospective monograph, Intimate distance. It might be interesting, but probably less so than his individual bodies of work. It's also considerably smaller than his Nazraeli/Twin Palms titles.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Here's the somewhat empty intro text from the normally insightful David Campany. Perhaps there is nothing to say of the collection. I'm not moved to make a purchase.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

MMD3 posted:

Is anybody aware of any photo mags printed with Blurb's magazine printing service? I'm thinking about putting something together and just want to get my hands on an example or two for layout inspiration and to see how the cover weight feels.

this review makes them look pretty nice, but definitely want to get one in hand.
http://www.learningsurfphotography.com/review-blurb-magazine-print-on-demand-service/

They took over MagCloud, who printed the old LPV and Kalina magazines, and a number of architects' portfolios. Perfectly respectable.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Chill Callahan posted:

I got in eggleston's selected works from the democratic forest books and the prints are gorgeous. Much better than the older eggleston books I've gotten though ILL.
+1, fantastic book, was very excited that this abbreviated/affordable volume was published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Shane Lynam: Fifty High Seasons just hit kickstarter too, promises to be good.

• Locked thread