Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I really like The Photographer's Eye. It goes into all the aspects of making a strong composition, whether it's simply balancing the shapes and colors of a photo or capturing a particular moment of action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I just got a copy of this: http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Contact-Sheets-Center-Photography/dp/0500543992

Contact sheets by some very famous photographers. There are several iconic photos included in this book, and you get to see the other photos taken on the same roll of film, along with a brief explanation by the photographer. Did they work the scene and finally arrive at the photo we all know, or was it a serendipitous "decisive moment"? It's an awesome behind-the-scenes look at such images like the portraits of Margaret Thatcher, Muhammad Ali, and Che Guevara, or the man before the tanks at Tiananmen Square.

Seems kinda pricey at $100, but it's a huge loving tome. You really get your money's worth:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Link works fine, and it reminded me of the page with the Dali photos.

Many people have probably seen it at some point, but did you know it was all done with practical effects? And did you know that capturing it was exactly as tedious and frustrating as it looks (I think twenty-something takes to get it right)? Not only do you get about half a dozen outtake shots in the book, but you get some of the backstory of setting everything up. In an ultra–low-tech form of chimping, Halsman apparently went into the darkroom after every shot to develop it and see how it came out before making another attempt.

• Locked thread