Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Asehujiko posted:

Then there was Lord Kazzak, who was a boss walking around in the open world, who, if he wasn't dead in 6 minutes, would enter "Supreme Mode", which meant that he would start casting all his abilities every second and become practically invincible. The most dangerous of these abilities were a debuff called Twisted Reflections that healed him every time the victim would take damage and a volley of projectiles that would damage everything within drawing distance. These abilities made him a fairly challenging fight with the gear available back then when cast every 30 seconds but in Supreme Mode, he would take 50% of everybody's health and heal back to full again every second because they'd overlap. The result was that if somebody managed to lure him to a capital city, the constantly respawning npc's and local players getting killed repeatedly would trap him in an endless loop where he turned the city into a no-man's land and killed everybody who tried to get near, typically resulting in a GM being required to reset him.

He also healed considerable amounts of HP any time anyone within a very large range died. So you could grief other people's attempts by intentionally running level 1 characters into his projectile volley, or in the case of being kited into a capital city, he would never, ever die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I remember Kazzak being the subject of one or more "paladin retribution bomb" videos, where paladins would somehow store up enough damage to one-shot him from full hp. The ability was nerfed into the ground pretty soon after.

To bring it back to Terraria, I think part of the reason that Plantera enrages on the surface now is that it was super easy to cheese it by building a really tall rope and then hanging just out of reach of most of its attacks. This is probably still doable, but you'd have to dig a pretty huge hole

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
My underground jungle happens to have a naturally occurring huge hole, should I just seal off the bottom (it opens into the underworld) and kite Plantera to there? I'm at the point where it's the next thing I should fight.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Didn't know about Plantera's enrage when I got a few other people to fight it. The bulb was close to the surface, we broke it and flew out. I thought something was up when it arrived and we got annihilated in seconds.

Despite that, I didn't look up any changes and we tried again. Since it was deeper this time and I knew the path better, everyone stayed at the surface while I was on break-and-run detail.

Turns out I can outrun and despawn Plantera, even through a winding unlit jungle path. :cripes:

Only then did I find out about the enrage, but I swear stage 1 Plantera moves a whole hell of a lot slower now. When we finally found another bulb, we built an arena around it and spent a surprising amount of time waiting for it to show up, but back when I fought it solo and pre-enrage, it would always come barreling in from off screen within seconds, and kiting it to the surface - even with a drop shaft - turned into a really close chase.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

My underground jungle happens to have a naturally occurring huge hole, should I just seal off the bottom (it opens into the underworld) and kite Plantera to there? I'm at the point where it's the next thing I should fight.

Sounds like a good idea. My general Plantera strategy is to find the largest cave in the jungle (if it's a new world) then carve as direct a path as possible from the nearest bulb to it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So they made it so that if you use a teleporter while fighting Plantera it despawns, so there went my plan.

I've got full Shroomite Gear and a Megashark with like 3000 crystal bullets. I should be able to kill it pretty easy, right?

I used these to kill the dungeon guardian with a comically little amount of effort (teleport back and forth on a 1 second timer while it runs in traps) so I wonder if they'd done this for all bosses so that you can't teleporter cheese them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cicadalek posted:

To bring it back to Terraria, I think part of the reason that Plantera enrages on the surface now is that it was super easy to cheese it by building a really tall rope and then hanging just out of reach of most of its attacks. This is probably still doable, but you'd have to dig a pretty huge hole

You can cheese Destroyer this way too, since he doesn't fly but "swims" through blocks.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

Only then did I find out about the enrage, but I swear stage 1 Plantera moves a whole hell of a lot slower now. When we finally found another bulb, we built an arena around it and spent a surprising amount of time waiting for it to show up, but back when I fought it solo and pre-enrage, it would always come barreling in from off screen within seconds, and kiting it to the surface - even with a drop shaft - turned into a really close chase.

While everyone was freaking out about him not being easy to cheese, this was the actual change. Plantera moves like a snail until second form now.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

MR. J posted:

Did you try to escape a Wall of Flesh fight by quitting and moving to another world? That'll happen if you did.

If I was fighting a boss, I didn't know it... I jump from world to world all the time.

So, here's my meat farm. Skeletons give money through hooks and helmets and other drops, bunnies and crabs and fish are there for hilarity. The bunnies aren't hit by the arrows. I just hang there and get rich.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

DrPlump posted:

At this point I have pretty much kicked the poo poo out of normal mode but I am scared to activate hardmode. I have the night blade, ivy whip, hellstone tools, jungle, necro, and hellstone armors, space gun and armor, and magic scythe move.

It seems like both ranged options are rather weak. I have been using the space gun mostly but am worried it is not going to cut it in hard more. Is there a better ranged options I should acquire first?

Clockwork assault rifle. It drops from wall of flesh and pretty much ruins the poo poo out of anything in hardmode up until the bosses. In demon scythe you have the perfect weapon for grinding the wall. Make sure you have a mana flower and plenty of manapots if you plan to go that route. If you don't feel like grinding wall, you can go with a phoenix blaster (handgun + hellstone) but it isn't as good as the rifle.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Hot Lead Allergy posted:

While everyone was freaking out about him not being easy to cheese, this was the actual change. Plantera moves like a snail until second form now.
Now that I'm certain this is the case, stage 1 Plantera really isn't any problem at all with just a rudimentary arena, that you will have plenty of time to get to since it's so drat slow. Really, you're probably more at risk of outrunning and despawning Plantera like I did.

...or getting hit because you were standing around laughing at someone for bumping their magic mirror.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

yrF posted:

If I was fighting a boss, I didn't know it... I jump from world to world all the time.

So, here's my meat farm. Skeletons give money through hooks and helmets and other drops, bunnies and crabs and fish are there for hilarity. The bunnies aren't hit by the arrows. I just hang there and get rich.

It'd go faster without the bunnies, crabs and fish due to the max limit on spawns. Also, you can wire up to 6 different 1 second timers to a statue to make it spawn faster.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone here tried the iOS version? How does it stack up? Does it include the v1.2 content?

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013

omeg posted:

So I finally took my hardcore character into hardmode after constructing a proper floating base. Killed WoF 3 times or so, got laser rifle and stuff. And then...

Welp. I'm sure I can handle that! :haw:
It took a lot of time and running around inside/outside the house to not risk it, but I guess it paid off:

After that I finally went to smash altars, mined, killed WoF few more times (still no clockwork rifle) and now have full Orichalcum armor. God, that looks awful. At least my strategy for avoiding spontaneous boss spawns works: you just need to spend nights underground.

All the boss spawns I've encountered in hardmode have been when I'm underground. And can't you just magic mirror away when the boss spawns?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

carnassials posted:

All the boss spawns I've encountered in hardmode have been when I'm underground. And can't you just magic mirror away when the boss spawns?

Weird, are you sure you were below "sea level" depth? I've gotten "terrible night" and "cold air" messages, but I've stayed below ground and the boss never spawned. Reading the code seems to confirm that behavior.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
What's hilarious is when you get those messages but continue loving around underground, and end up forgetting that it is in fact a terrible night. So you finish whatever obsessive mud collecting you were doing, hit your magic mirror... and the Twins show up to eat all your NPCs :negative:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

That's why I never take off the watch until I'm reasonably ready to take on the bosses. :v:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I didn't play FFXI but I played EverQuest during the early "glory" years and again as recently as 2012, so I understand what you mean to a great degree.

Has any more been said about the "Very Large" world option? The dev said something about it about a month ago, that it was pulled from the initial 1.2 patch and that it was a "spoiler" for something - he was being oddly enigmatic and I wondered if any more had been said on the matter.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
One thing I'd like is to lengthen the world size without it going deeper too. I like how long the medium and large worlds can be, but it's the depth that really kills it for me.

Also holy gently caress, Shroomite armor and chlorophyte bullets. :stare: I went from nearly dying to Plantera as melee (stupid, I know) to ripping that flower apart. I hate that I feel like I need full Warding on my accessories but at least I could focus more on dodging.

And then holy gently caress, the Stynger! Remind me why I ever wanted to switch over to magic again? :stare: :stare:

Edit: And Pumpkin Moons still kick my rear end. I made it up to wave 12 before day broke. I don't know if I'm doing something incredibly wrong, but how the hell do you dodge the Pumpkings? Even with wings, lightning boots and the master ninja gear to zig-zag through the air and changing direction on a dime, I still get hit by them often enough that not only do I need to keep my healing potion on cooldown, but I have to ration the drat healing items that drop on the ground just so I don't die. I feel like this is way too much if you don't want to rely on health drain.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 5, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm pretty new to the game, but have a ton of fun since I jumped in. At the moment, I wonder how you best go about getting lots of water into hell? I made a three block wide shaft to quickly get there, and just figured that I pour a bunch of water down it. But the problem is that the physics are kinda weird for that. My shaft clogs up after a certain amount of water is inside, and I have to block the flow for it to clear. Then I also saw that a lot of the water just seems to dissapear once it gets down to hell? I mean, I have it set up so that the water should gather in two big pockets down there, but when I followed the stream down, lots of it just vanished. I really shot down a lot of water, but only like a third or less actually makes it down there. So yeah, kinda confused how to handle that?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
After a certain amount of time free water just evaporates in hell. However honey will not arbitrarily disappear.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Sage Grimm posted:

After a certain amount of time free water just evaporates in hell. However honey will not arbitrarily disappear.
Huh, so that's the problem! I figured I can just make some pools and direct them how I want afterwards. I obviously want to get hellstone and obsidian, so water is important for me. Welp, back to the drawing board.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tin Tim posted:

Huh, so that's the problem! I figured I can just make some pools and direct them how I want afterwards. I obviously want to get hellstone and obsidian, so water is important for me. Welp, back to the drawing board.

The easiest way to do that (at least as far as Obsidian goes) is bring lava back to the surface and make generators.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Anony Mouse posted:

Has anyone here tried the iOS version? How does it stack up? Does it include the v1.2 content?

It doesn't even have the 1.1 content. No hardmode.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Anony Mouse posted:

Recently purchased the Android version for 5 bucks and I've put about 8 hours or so into it. I've definitely gotten $5 worth of entertainment out of it considering I played the hell out of it on 4 2-hour flights.

It's basically a bare bones version of the PC game, not only is there no 1.2 stuff or hardmode, but if you get impatient with mobile phone games and wonky mobile controls than I wouldn't recommend it. As it is, it has decent building and exploring fun times. Combat is pretty terrible though.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Cyberventurer posted:

Edit: And Pumpkin Moons still kick my rear end. I made it up to wave 12 before day broke. I don't know if I'm doing something incredibly wrong, but how the hell do you dodge the Pumpkings? Even with wings, lightning boots and the master ninja gear to zig-zag through the air and changing direction on a dime, I still get hit by them often enough that not only do I need to keep my healing potion on cooldown, but I have to ration the drat healing items that drop on the ground just so I don't die. I feel like this is way too much if you don't want to rely on health drain.

The easiest and most reliable way I've found to dodge them is just flying straight up and down. Their AI is set to hover a fixed space above you, so you probably take some touch damage flying up and coming down, but you dodge most of the poo poo their arms fling at you.

That said, I'm also in Turtle armor with vampire knives, so the close proximity + the healing means the touch damage is inconsequential.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Nighthand posted:

That said, I'm also in Turtle armor with vampire knives, so the close proximity + the healing means the touch damage is inconsequential.

This is the way to do it, I don't need a single health potion with this setup

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Wow, the hardmode dungeon does not gently caress around :stare:

Plantera went down pretty easy, I had one failed attempt but the second went by very smoothly after I cleared out a chunk of the underground jungle and put campfires and heart lamps everywhere.

Also had the pirates show up. All I got for it is a single measly golden door and a banner. How lame.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Which setup is more effective for pumpkin moon, tons of pygmies or spectre armor and magic (magnet sphere mostly)?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

andrew smash posted:

Which setup is more effective for pumpkin moon, tons of pygmies or spectre armor and magic (magnet sphere mostly)?

Spectre Armor and Nimbus Rod.

Also, summon a pygmy anyways, it's extra damage.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Kyrosiris posted:

Spectre Armor and Nimbus Rod.

Also, summon a pygmy anyways, it's extra damage.

Man, this event is fun but for some reason wyverns are spawning randomly too (i'm fighting at ground level) and they're getting really loving annoying.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

andrew smash posted:

Man, this event is fun but for some reason wyverns are spawning randomly too (i'm fighting at ground level) and they're getting really loving annoying.

Wyverns spawning should basically be a boon at that point, you're going to take much less damage from them than the other mobs and it will trigger your invincibility timer (I hope you're using a cross necklace) all the same. Similar principle to the old meteorite/hellstone arena + cross necklace idea.

Also summons are poop compared to the other options available @ endgame.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

andrew smash posted:

Spectre armour with nimbus rod, magnet sphere and golden showers will keep you alive. The main problem I found with the pumpkin moon event is that a single player is simply not able to dish out enough damage to kill things fast enough. I killed about 4 mourning woods and almost a single pumpking before running out of time (admittedly I died a few times). The other problem is that after 10 or so waves you just can't see what the hell is going on because there is so much stuff on screen at once, all overlapping.

Also summons like the hydra don't work with spectre armour sadly, but I found that the flame traps from the jungle temple do. So it might be possible to construct a flame throwing arena for the pumpkin moon event and complete is playing alone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

If you can manage to get the Bat Scepter from the event, that will help a ton for trying to reach wave 15. Also, make sure you use every consumable you can - Ironskin, Regen, Magic Power, Mana Regen, and a pumpkin pie (that's what I needed to finally break through to wave 15 solo).

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

If you can manage to get the Bat Scepter from the event, that will help a ton for trying to reach wave 15. Also, make sure you use every consumable you can - Ironskin, Regen, Magic Power, Mana Regen, and a pumpkin pie (that's what I needed to finally break through to wave 15 solo).

Yeah the Bat Scepter is probably the best spell for single targets that aren't vulnerable to piercing attacks. I completely wreck the Twins, Skeletron Prime, and endless Pumpkings with it. Golden shower still beats it for worms though.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
I've been following a strategy posted on the Terraria Wiki http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Pumpkin_Moon#Creating_an_Arena

Essentially it's creating a big pit with flame traps and spiky ball traps, anchoring yourself above it with some walls for protection, equipping your best magic and damage increasing items with the spectre armor, having all buffs you can, and spamming magic attacks.

At first it starts out pretty rough since this strategy relies heavily on the bat scepter, but once you get that it'll be easy going. This guy can get to wave 15 easily. I've farmed every possible drop from the event using this strategy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GenericOverusedName posted:

Plantera likes to despawn in Hell, don't do this.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jinx posted:

Also summons like the hydra don't work with spectre armour sadly, but I found that the flame traps from the jungle temple do. So it might be possible to construct a flame throwing arena for the pumpkin moon event and complete is playing alone.

Yeah the Hydra doesn't work with Spectre armor, but the healing from it would be negligible anyway. It's still free damage if you have time to set it up every minute.

And yes, an arena helps a lot. It allows you to focus on the bosses while the fodder is killed by your traps.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dr Tasty posted:

I've been following a strategy posted on the Terraria Wiki http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Pumpkin_Moon#Creating_an_Arena

You really don't even need that. Just have a platform that you hang out on that's 10 blocks off the ground and put a crystal ball and a couple of camp fires there for HP regen, then constantly keep up Nimbus Rod rainclouds centered over yourself. This will be sufficient to deal with the minor trash. Bat Scepter and Magnet Sphere (and optionally Inferno Fork) damage will deal with Horsemen/Woods/Pumpkings. Throw out a hydra and a pygmy/raven if you have them. Your accessories should at least include an Obsidian/Ankh Shield and a Cross Necklace, plus full Spectre Armor. Gear for damage, not defense. (I run +4% damage Cross Necklace, +4% damage Ankh Shield, +4 Defense Wings, +4% damage Sorcerer's Emblem, and +4% damage Mana Shackles.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Don't forget to place a heart lamp for even more regen, and a water candle to accelerate the enemy spawns to plow through the waves faster.

• Locked thread