Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zurai posted:

Party Girl is supposedly just have 7 NPCs, but she only has a 2% chance of spawning each day. It appears that also counts for respawning.
This is the case, and it sucks. Once she shows up the first time she should just be put on the automatic instant waiting list like everyone else. I mean, the game doesn't force us to go find the mechanic in the dungeon again if she dies, nor the wizard or the goblin. Or defeat another invasion after every time they die. The 2% chance should be a first-time deal only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Here's an easy way to kill the dungeon guardian solo, but you'll need to have finished the lihzard temple first:
Build a long runway near the depth where he comes to get you, and place a teleporter on each end. Put the switches for both teleporters on the same side so you won't have to move your mouse to warp, only right click. A missed click is death. Line the ceiling of the middle of the runway with spiky ball traps all on a 1-second timer. Put a protective wall on either side next to the teleporters so the spiky balls don't roll from the middle onto your teleporter pads.
Now lure the dungeon guardian (hopefully you'll only pull one) to the runway, and as soon as he almost reaches you, teleport. He'll then roll down the runway, smacking into all the spiky balls on the way. As soon as he almost reaches you on the other side, teleport again. You can just keep him rolling back and forth through infinite spiky balls forever, until he dies. Each ball will only do 1 damage (2 on a crit) so even though he takes a lot at once, he'll take a while to go down.
It's important to build the runway at a good length. Too short and you'll be teleporting about once a second just to stay alive. Too long and the teleport will bring you so far away the guardian will despawn.

To speed this up, wear turtle armor with a master ninja gear / black belt accessory. Take one hit from the guardian before your first teleport. Most of the time this will kill you (so set your spawn point nearby) but once you get lucky you'll do a huge chunk of his health at once and the following teleport sequence will take only about half as long.
To speed it up even more, try changing into full frost armor between teleports, when you have time. Even traps inflict frostburn.

You can build the killing tunnel aboveground, which won't take so long, but as I said if you ever get too far from the dungeon guardian he'll despawn, so you'll need a series of like two or three teleporters just to get you to the surface so you never travel too far in one movement. Teleport halfway up, wait for him to catch up, teleport again, and you'll be at your death tunnel, then start teleporting as above.

Brief version: Build a trapped tunnel for the guardian, teleport back and forth while he rolls around in traps, and your patience will be rewarded. Eventually.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Any enemy can only take so many hits per second. Unless the flame trap can do enough damage to get past his insane defense, which I doubt, I don't think it would go any faster.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wish there was an accessory or method that could boost drop rates. People are going to grind anyway, why not give them an in-game buff? No matter how difficult to obtain it would be better than leaving idling the oft-chosen recourse for people seeking keys and the like.

Personally, I'd settle for one that just increased the drop rate on monster banners.
I want those loving banners.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RatHat posted:

I can't even guess at how long it'd take to farm the rare spawn banners like the Groom, Tim, Pinky, Goblin scout ect.
Some rare monsters (like the antlion) have higher drop rates to compensate. The Nymph, however, has a 0.5% chance to drop its banner.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

benzine posted:

I'm just missing 2 banners to complete the 87 :smith:
How long did it take you, and did you literally just do it by constantly running around in their spawning area?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

benzine posted:

A lot, but the jungle ones were easy as i was trying to get an UZI, after that I turned the jungle into a mushroom biome. Also I started a server with increased spawn rates, farming for the rare ones would be crazy.
Using what tool? I wouldn't mind a crazy-infested world myself.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Er, I meant what tool did you use to increase the server spawn rates?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Someone was asking about black dyes. I found a pretty good setup for a low-impact ocean farm. You'll need lihzard spear trap blocks, a one-second timer, and the neptune shell, but it works great. Holding a water candle won't show up visibly but the effect will stay. All the dyes, banners, and even pirate maps you could want.

Building it into the slope stops jellyfish from going too far, and will get enemies coming from the left to drop down to you. I got really lucky when I set mine up and, like in this screenshot, only really got enemies coming from the right side. Occasionally a mummy or zombie would wander in from the left but for the most part it was a constant parade of ocean enemies from the right. Start a local server and tab out if you want to idle and you'll have 50 inks and a dozen stacks of worthless glowsticks before you know it.
I hooked it up in sequence so the spears didn't go at the same time. If they do only one hits, this keeps a nice back and forth rhythm. You could probably use spiked balls but the lack of spread on the spears ensured I picked up items as they dropped, rather than just leaving them on the nearby ocean floor.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Office Thug posted:

Turtle armor is pretty much the best way to go for afk farming if you can tank whatever it is you're farming. I got at least 2 of each key just from overnight turtle-farming. Find a spot that combines more than one biome, like a hallow/corrupt ice biome.
Hallow and Corrupt cancel each other out. You can't get both keys from the same area.
You can however get Hallow/Crimson keys (and souls) at the same point. So you could make an artificial snow+jungle+crimson+hallow/corruption farm and get all four keys, plus souls. Only the leftover biome would need to be found separately.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

benzine posted:

It's up to you to decide.
I'm on the same quest now. So what was your method? Just crank the spawn rate and cap to like 10x and charge through the biomes slaughtering everything with piercing weapons? How'd you get super-rare ones like the nymph?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Nah, I'd rather earn them myself. I tried upping spawn rate and cap, but things got pretty hairy. You recommend just the rate, not the cap, then?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Blackheart posted:

I'd really like it if you could make mineral bricks with ore bars instead of needing the raw ore. I tend to convert all my ore into bars out of instinct.
Or at the least, turn bars back into nuggets. It would save so much space.
I hope more accessible modding becomes a thing because the first change I'd make is to add those recipes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RatHat posted:

Do the Twins only drop their individual trophies if killed last?
If the Twin is going to drop its trophy, it will do so on its death, regardless of whether it is killed first or second.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

I Said No posted:

Also a cool tip that might not be commonly known - you can paint grass blocks, and anything that grows from them will match the color.
That doesn't include trees, right? I tried planting trees on painted grass and they looked normal when grown so I just assumed that's not how it works.
Also I do know that glowing mushrooms can grow rainbow colors.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Rather than making a single teleport hub that leads to 6 destinations, it's much simpler (and quicker, and cheaper) to just build a sequential series of teleporter towers or waystations. Even on large worlds, by the time you go 2000 wires out, you'll find some place you might want to stop. Then just put a switch on both sides and you have a linear transport that'll take you from one side of the map and back again, with all the important landmarks along the way.
It's also easier to remember what's where instead of "which switch is the jungle, again?" and if the surroundings aren't immediately apparent, you can just throw in a little decoration to designate each station. Easy as pie.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You could have just said "Blue Filter".

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RatHat posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the best potions use Daybloom as ingredients? I'm always running low on them, even with a farm.
Daybloom is definitely the single best ingredient. It's really the only herb I end up having to farm, ever, even if I'm making potions for 3-4 people.

Fireblossom is good for only 2 potions, grav and lavaproof, which you really only need for a specific purpose (finding floating islands/mining hellstone) and then never again. No need to farm, and you'll end up with more than you can carry just going around hell.
Waterleaf is used in lavaproof and 2 fairly worthless watery potions, you'll have more than you'll ever need in just one trip through the desert.
Blinkroot is used in 7 utility potions, most pretty useless (invisibility), but thankfully it's more than common enough just about anywhere you might go that you'll have plenty for the occasional good potion (spelunker).
Moonglow is rare-used but useful, featured in both the mana-power and mana-regen potions, plus spelunking. But it's frequent in the jungle so you'll only find a scarcity in the very early game.
Deathweed is also pretty useless, so though it appears in the magic power potion you'll doubtful need to farm it. Run through the Crimson/Corruption a handful of times and you'll be set pretty much for life.
Daybloom, however, is used in 8 potions, more than anything else, and includes such popular items as Ironskin, Health Regen, Mana Regen, and Shine. Hands down the king of herbs. Which makes it convenient that it grows so fast and blooms so easily.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep, all three can naturally spawn even if you've already killed them. Enemies won't drop summoning totems once you've killed a given boss, though.
I don't think that's true. I've played a lot and I've never once seen the hardmode bosses spawn by themselves in a world after being defeated the first time.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So uh, I assume this isn't supposed to happen?

Friend and I challenge the Pumpkin Moon. We get about 8 or 9 waves in. We've killed 4 or 5 pumpkins and what feels like a dozen or more mourning woods. Sun rises and we gather our loot.
The next night, "Hey, why is that music playing again?".
We run to the battlefield as enemies start to pour in, evidently picking up where we left off. We fight 3 pumpkings at a time and live to tell the tale. We make it to the final wave and poo poo gets crazy. Just as the worst of it comes, the night ends.
We spend the entire day regrouping, restocking on mana, bullets, sorting out new wild equipment, etc. We're at the arena and ready when night falls again. And good god, what fresh hell awaits us?

6 loving Pumpkings. At once. And at least as many Mourning Woods on top of that. We kill them like mad. We die and rush back at top speed. It's a bloodbath. Even with our crazy new toys we can barely keep up. We fight literally the ENTIRE NIGHT, wondering when it will end. But it doesn't.
Every night, hell comes to earth.

So I think my game is bugged.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It is? Even with 6+ mourning woods, too? Did Red playtest this at all?
And no, no one was using the moon pendant, I'm sure of it. Even if someone was I don't think it's supposed to pick up at wave 9 or whatever, right?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

shymog posted:

Also, I was futzing with my TShock server and some friends and apparently now every night is PUMPKIN WAVE 15 after executing /pumpkin once. That did not go well with our increased maxspawns, resulting in a mess with 10+ Mourning Wood and 15+ PumpKings on screen at any given time. Also, death. Lots and lots of death.
I was using Tshock too, so that narrows the culprit down pretty definitively, I'd say. We didn't use the /pumpkin command or any spawn altering commands though.
We were so fed up with the game by the end of it, until we turned on godmode and sat there slaying dozens of pumpkings and finally realizing "okay there is something wrong here besides just a lack of balance".

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Just make generators for each of them, and combine as needed, it's about the only construction I've actually done other than my NPC ghetto. Really easy
I just did a manual one with a bucket initially, then scaled it up to 3 tanks with pumps and channel/pipes to mix as needed, for infinite obsidian and crispy/blocks of honey
Sounds neat! Any chance we could get a screenshot?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Rotten Eggs are not useless. They let you take out your frustration on the obnoxious NPCs in your town. :colbert:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
With specter armor nerfed, even with a cross necklace on it can be hard to heal enough to compensate for the damage you're taking, especially when Pumpkings can hit for 120+ damage. And if a teammate crosses nearby and needs some healing for themselves it's just going to cut into your own survivability.
Cross necklace + turtle armor + vampire knives is the only way to be truly safe and even then you gotta be sure you're constantly hitting something.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Well, more damage means more healing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

Presumably, it goes nigh-invincible like Skeletron/Prime do after dawn. Sucks to be you if a Plantera bulb spawns on/near the surface!
He's asking about the reality of it though, since people are torn between this idea and the "instantly goes into second phase" idea I think he wants to know which it is actually, not presumably.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's just for decoration. There is no Halloween Biome.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Verviticus posted:

Is it actuated slime?
Yeah, it looks like orange slime that's been actuated into the background to appear darker and thus browner.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
But it needs a hallowed pick which means he'll have to wreck hardmode bosses anyway.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The White Dragon posted:

I'd honestly rather him just get to the "real final boss"
Red's been saying lately that the ultimate confrontation, the Lunar event he's been talking about, is probably going to be a horde/invasion style thing like the Pirates or Pumpkin Moon, rather than a traditional boss.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Powercrazy posted:

There should be a "univsersal constructor" item. Where you combine all the various crafting stations into a single item at a demon altar, and then you can place it in your base and as long as you have the materials, you can craft EVERYTHING.
This would have been a bad idea some time ago, but now that we have an awesome crafting grid to view long recipe lists all at once, I'd be much more comfortable with a universal crafting bench.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I hadn't played the Story of Red Cloud since pretty early in its development, and thought about going back to play the last version by using TConfig or whatever to revert to a version of Terraria that's compatible with it. But then I thought about all the minor changes and improvements that 1.2 brought, and the countless "quality of life" style fixes, and the map, and the one-block-slopes, and I just can't bring myself to go back.

I really hope a new API is released, and soon. Or better yet, I hope Red officially supports modding before he stops working on Terraria for good. I feel like this is a game that could really benefit from mods in a pretty diverse way, and some of the stuff people had started on already looked pretty ambitious.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, that's the whole reason Key drops became Mold drops: Red wanted to make sure you couldn't open the chests before beating Plantera and the three mechanical bosses. My first time into Hardmode a corrupt key dropped only ten minutes in and I got the key Scourge of the Corruptor pretty much the first night. I used it pretty much from then on. I can see why Red wouldn't want people lucking out like that and skipping all the other gear.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

robziel posted:

I've put 74 hours into Terraria in the past two weeks, I have seen exactly zero key drops and zero mold drops I kind of don't believe they exist. I really like a lot of the stuff that was added in with 1.2 but it seems like to experience all the new gear you have to farm for days just to have a chance of seeing it and that's a HUGE turn off for me. If I wanted to grind for infinity I'd go play a korean mmo.
The problem with hardmode, as I see it, is that pre-hardmode, the majority of cool items A were made with B amount of C item, which drops 0-2 per kill off of enemy D. You could still be more or less lucky as enemies had a drop range, but after killing enough you were guaranteed to have what you needed.
Once you reach hardmode, that stops. There's only a few items that use souls of light/night which are generic and come from any enemy, but most of the really outstanding gear isn't crafted from dropped resources, it's just straight up given to you in completed form with like a 0.2% chance per kill. Why not have Sniper Skeletons drop a small range of gun parts on every kill, which can be crafted into a sniper rifle? Or every crimson enemy drops Crimson Essence (more for tougher enemies) which can be eventually crafted into a Crimson Key? Making it all or nothing not only removes crafting which has been a huge part of the game up to this point, it makes farming into grinding and turns the player into an RNG slave.

That's part of why I liked the Story of Red Cloud (sandbox) so much: none of those really badass items you could get were on super rare drops, but on kill progression. And you could still get rare drops which would save you some time by giving you an intermediary item, so you could still feel lucky, but it was never prohibitive like this.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kajeesus posted:

The Crimson is at the bottom of the cliff on the right, but I planted a bunch of sunflowers offscreen, so the area around my house isn't counted as corrupted.
For future reference, the fact that the background is that of the Crimson biome means that you absolutely are in the Crimson and thus the house is not livable.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

crestfallen posted:

If you're going to go this far, just spawn the item in directly.
That's not an apt comparison at all. With this method you still have to survive, fight, and kill the enemies. There's just less waiting around between spawns.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Eh, for an afk farm to even work reliably you basically have to be unharmable. Spawning 50x the enemies isn't going to make my spike trap murder pit any more dangerous for me so yeah I mean if I'm going to cheat I may as well just give myself the item directly.

I guess I could crash Terraria, that's a risk.
Oh, I glossed over the part where he said it was for an AFK farm. My mistake.
When I want banners for instance I just crank up the spawn rate and go crazy in the appropriate biome. Your health can drop amazingly fast.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

mr. mephistopheles posted:

There are a ton of weapons that swing constantly. He intentionally differentiates the ones that do or don't for balance.
And how is making the Terra Blade not autoswing balancing it, for instance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm just saying that the un-upgraded earlier versions of the sword autoswing, but then when you upgrade it, it loses autoswing.
That doesn't seem like sensible balance at all.

• Locked thread