Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
You pretty much just build a pit/area that guys can't jump out of. All you need is a tiny covering of lava at the bottom. Add traps to suit.

You can grab the loot from below or the sides of your pit area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
You don't have to have it planned out from the very beginning. I mean, if you have a plan, that's great. But I find that I like building organically.

I started out all rectangles, gray brick and stone walls. My crafting area was kind of cool but really no decorations to speak of. I just kind of built up and decorated and replaced things/entire rooms as I went. It's not a masterpiece like you see in here but it has that certain something that makes it feel like home.

Also, I don't play this all that much so I just got to hard mode for the first time. The Wall of Flesh fight was not what I expected, it was very easy. I had built up a highway maybe a little over halfway on a small map. I took it on with a space gun, demon scythe (I got lucky), and meteor armor. Ironskin and soup. No crazy mods or accessories really.

Probably gonna get owned now since I kind of did that on a whim and didn't really prepare for hard mode :)

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Holy poo poo, the corruption spreads fast in hard mode.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Managed to get a set of Frost Armor almost immediately in hard mode. That was a nice bonus. I'd also heard about the mushroom guy from the chat here, so I picked up that spear too. So handy.

I had enough pixie dust and crystals to make a set of greater healing potions. I built a platform and a campfire and summoned the Destroyer. Took him out. Wasn't too bad.

Skeletron Prime spawned randomly and he killed me the first time. He spawned in again but I got him that time. That was less fun that the Destroyer.

Just got the Golden Shower yesterday. I guess I need to build a super long runway and try the Twins. Is there anything I should make sure to have first?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Male Man posted:

Wings, Hermes boots (or one of their descendents) and a powerful ranged weapon are all you need to take out the Twins. Fortunately your Frost armor is just as good at boosting ranged weapons as melee weapons. Whip up a megashark, summon them, and start running in one direction. You'll have enough vertical mobility to get over hills and such in your way and enough horizontal speed to keep out of the range of the melee eye. Just burn them down over time. You can probably do it with just normal health potions, but if you've got spares lying around you might as well use them.
Thanks man. I have boots, and I just need a tiny bit of cash to get the Leaf Wings. (I was dumb early on with the reforging.) I think I only need a couple more shark fins to be able to make the Megashark. I think I have spare crystals to make a bunch of crystal bullets too.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I need to dig out an area for Plantera now. You know, at least expand the nearest big open area a bit. Ugh.

edit: beat Plantera. Somehow the Queen Bee managed to spawn at the same time, which was weird. Plantera wasn't too bad with campfires and heart lanterns sprinkled around.

gently caress the dungeon though. Jesus.

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 8, 2013

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Goddam Planterras second form is hard as balls solo

I just did this. I found a bulb, found the nearest big cavern area, and dug out a bunch more. A couple rows of platforms, plenty of space to run and fly around. I sprinkled the area with campfires and heart lanterns. If I had heart + star statues, I would have used those too. I also covered the jungle grass with blocks to prevent those gigantic vines and stuff from spawning.

Then it's just buffing up, getting some Nimbus Clouds going, and shooting the fucker a million times. Make sure to pee on him so he constantly has the defense debuff.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

BlueOccamy posted:

Do campfires stack with each other or should I just have one of those and one heart lantern in my arena?

A campfire + heart lantern stack. 2 campfires or 2 heart lanterns do not stack. Depending on how big your arena is, you may need more than one of each. Heart lanterns go a little farther than campfires.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I was flying around a central island in a massive naturally generated cave kinda near the surface, and landed in honey all the time, and didn't fall below 300HP until he transformed, at which point I did about 5k damage before getting wrecked. I'll try the platform method.

I have a bunch of drops from the hardmode dungeon, but I'm trying not to use them until I unlock it because I got them in multiplayer and I'm just playing solo a bit while my friends aren't here, but the piss spell seems to wreck him so long as you don't get hit.
Sorry for not being more clear. Just hit him with piss for a second so he gets the debuff, then shoot the gently caress out of him. Megashark plus crystal bullets is what I used. I had the frost armor set. I also used the nimbus clouds just in case he happened to stop in the vicinity of one, they do a lot of damage.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I heard earlier that you can try getting key molds by using meteorite in whatever biome. Can you still do that?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Awesome, thanks! Have to make a new world to get some meteorite first. Oops.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I'd use ash anyway because then you can scoot across it and pick up fireblossoms if you don't already have a garden for them.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Desperate Character posted:

Does anyone have a good set-up for infinite honey? I just found my first hive and it's right above hell :unsmigghh:
Use the trick where you can dump liquid on a block and it goes half on each side. That gets it going; you're already infinite. Eventually you can just use pumps.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

DelphiAegis posted:

The only problem I found when using pumps, is that since honey is so slow to move, it can take forever for a pump to refill the reservoir it's pulling from. You probably want to have a single inlet pump and multiple outlet pumps. I think this still multiplies your output, anyway.
Correct. You can also use a slower timer to give the honey a chance to fall down before the pumps activate again.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I'm gonna have to take on the pumpkin moon soon. Even though I should probably send another world to hardmode + farm a few more uber traps first. Oh god.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I don't and I probably don't have enough money to ensure I can get them. I'll probably end up giving it a shot after a while anyway.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

ConfusedUs posted:

So at what point should I move on to hard mode? I haven't died in easy mode in ages, except through my own stupidity (drowned in honey when I accidentally mined through into a water cave and got stuck under honey blocks).

Should I finish my home before I move on? Should I take the time to get buckets of lava for the roof and moats? That sort of thing?

Also what's a reliable way of finding sky islands? Build a long bridge across the top? I found one but I feel it was by luck more than anything.
You don't need to prepare your house, unless its not in the sky already. If it's in the ground or on the surface, yeah, you'll need some protection.

You shouldn't need anything more than meteor armor and the space gun honestly. Anything you have better than that is a bonus. Right when you start hard mode, you can get the mushroom spear and the frost armor set, which is better than almost anything else in hard mode.

Also, islands. If you have the meteor armor + space gun, just walk along the ground firing straight up every little bit. If there's an island above you, you'll hear the space gun hit a block. Then you can just build a tall 1-block sand pile to get up there.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
My experience was the opposite. Magically geared character, picked up Magnet Sphere, Inferno Fork, Nimbus Staff, and most of the magic stuff in general without trying too hard. I wasn't going out of my way to just sit there and grind, let's put it that way.

Random is random.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Rynoto posted:

Download TShock and set up a private server with your farm map. Turn the spawn rate down to 1 and the limit up to 1000 or something else insane. You'll get that mold within 5 minutes or so.
If you're going to go this far, just spawn the item in directly.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
What's so crappy about the Terraria wiki? I'm not saying it's the paragon of awesome websites or anything, but it's perfectly serviceable.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

dis astranagant posted:

I think it's supposed to turn 1 random tile into ebonstone/crimstone and another into pearlstone every time you break an altar.
This is correct. You can verify if you use a map viewer.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Tin Tim posted:

Oh, any tips on getting Fireblossom seeds? I'd imagine I will have to bring a bucket to hell, and dump some lava over some flowers that already grew there, right?
Unless you're really committed to growing your own, I wouldn't worry about them. Just build a big bridge out of ash in the underworld and Fireblossoms will grow there naturally. Harvest every so often. You'll have more than enough.

If you are committed, then yes.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I think the dual hook is better than the ivy whip anyway.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Yeah. There are a couple bulbs to start and each hardmode boss you kill creates another bulb.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
If you have the meteorite armor and a space gun, the Wall of Flesh won't be too bad. Should be no problem if you have a long bridge built down there. Do it out of ash, by the way, so you can harvest Fireblossoms when you need them.

You might want to move your house first. Make a mushroom biome above ground and build a house there. If you have some decent cash stored up, that will be useful. You can buy a great and hugely powerful spear right away from the guy that will move into the mushroom biome.

Build a house in the jungle too. You could also build arenas or skybridges, etc. for the various hardmode bosses if you want to. Depends on how much preparation you want to do really. You don't necessarily need them.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Enallyniv posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about gearing up for hard mode really, it'll be rough at first but I honestly didn't even have half the problems people seemed to be warning everyone about.
Same. The mushroom spear and frost armor set, which are pretty easily obtained right from the get go, will get anyone through a lot.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
It's a lack of art direction. Look at the tree outside the house or the earthy bits underneath the house compared to a lot of the stuff inside the house. It's like they are two different styles, among other things. They don't mesh.

Compare that to the art direction of Terraria, which is consistent throughout. There are lasers and guns and ships and all kinds of weird crap, but at least from an artistic point of view, they all look like they belong in the same game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Equal parts talent and luck, frankly. Talent because the game was pretty well put together, even at the beginning. Every game has its faults but it was far from a pile of trash. Lucky since for whatever reason the pricing, timing, marketing etc. all worked out for it. They sold a shitload of copies.

It's a lot easier to be the cool dev and put out great stuff like this when you have a small team who is pretty competent and gets it and is sitting on a pile of cash.

• Locked thread