Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I'm exploring the dungeon and picking up all the banners I see because I like fancy decorations and I don't remember them from 1.1. However, on the wiki, it says that the dungeon now has flags that determine what enemies spawn there in hard mode. Does that refer to the banners? If so, does that mean I'm neutering the hard mode dungeon by stealing all these flags?

More importantly, can I set up some sort of nightmarish thunderdome wherever I want with these things in hard mode, or are they only active in dungeon biomes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
At first, I made a nice set of treehouses in a World Tree because I found it really early and I loved the aesthetic. I rapidly ran out of room, however, and the treehouses grew ugly and cramped. Even with the most stacked apartments possible on the branches, I still couldn't make enough to fit all the NPCs I was going to get. I was also worried about the Hallow/Crimson corrupting the whole thing from under me one day and turning life into a living hell. So, I decided to make a new fortress. I had plenty of clay, dirt, stone, or anything I wanted to make your standard castle...

...but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make a flying castle from the very bones and skulls of my enemies :black101:

It will eventually have everything I need to survive hard mode - a crafting hall, storage, a glowing mushroom farm, some herb farms, and maybe an armor showcase. The capper on top I have planned is a skull made of skulls with lava in its eye sockets that is also drooling lava from its mouth down the sides of the castle.

My God I forgot how much I loved this game.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
To those of you who said I'd have to worry about wyverns and that I had a dumb idea:

Totally worth it.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So, I unlocked hard mode and went to the Crimson to smash some altars. I was feeling pretty cocky, since I'd handled hard mode pretty well in 1.1 and had a decent idea of what to expect...from 1.1 hard mode. I went down into a Crimson cave and immediately got peed on to death by a bunch of flying transparent squid. Then I discovered that the hardmode Crimson had spawned directly in the middle of my hardmode Jungle, and got murdered by a giant turtle hurling itself like artillery tag-teaming with a bird-thing named a Derpling and a...thing called a Herpling. I decided to turn right the gently caress around and check the other side of the map. The Hallow appears to be completely buried under the snow biome, which showed almost no changes. Past that, I entered the dungeon to see if I could still nip in for some extra bones to spruce up my house, only to run face first into a giant caster that teleported every time I hit it and fired bouncing lasers that tore me to giblets before anything else even showed up.

I haven't gone underground yet. I'm scared. :stonk:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
My hardmode Crimson is inside my jungle and is spreading. Does this mean I'm on a time limit to get stuff out of the hardmode jungle/jungle underground, or does it not spread underground? Do the spawn tables get shared if it's a crimson jungle?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Machai posted:

Use the gun thing from the Steampunk lady to cleanse the crimson and it should grow back into jungle.

I don't think you quite grasp what I meant by inside.

(That strip on the right is the new Crimson, the bit on the left was the original biome)

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

MooCowlian posted:

Whoah, did your jungle dungeon turn into crimstone somehow?

No, I'm using TEdit and it hasn't updated its sprite display for new stuff yet, so any new tile is that neon pink.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Either spectral gear is way too powerful, or ectoplasm is way too plentiful, because I just went to make the dungeon into my magical realm screw around in the dungeon with my Golden Shower and cobalt gear and walked out with enough to craft a pickaxe that lets me jump six equipment tiers ahead in pickaxe power :stare:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Yeah, I tried my usual "laugh at everything that hits me and skeet all over them with Golden Shower" trick with the Pumpkin Moon, until I realized the nerfs this time around had teeth, and I got ripped to pieces over and over. It's good to get some health back, but now you take damage so much faster in a mob and you get health back at a comparatively reduced rate, so you have to be a lot more evasive if you don't want to die.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kyrosiris posted:

Correct. If it thinks it's in any biome that's not Underground Jungle, it goes into an unkillable murder frenzy. This includes the Temple, Corruption/Crimson/Hallow, anything that's not strictly Underground Jungle. It's also super picky, too.

But apparently Red got Absolute Virtue syndrome. :v:

Well there's a reference I didn't expect to see. Back when I played FFXI, I played on the server that had the linkshell that kept finding ways to beat Absolute Virtue in ways that the developers didn't intend, eventually ending in several hotfixes and GMs threatening to ban them all if they kept it up. They then introduced a boss that absolutely required poopsocking to brute-force until another linkshell on some other server had people get health issues from the 11+ hour fight and they got a shitload of bad press. Instead of making the boss mechanics less arcane, they just put a two hour time limit on it.

FFXI was a game design dinosaur in so many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

President Ark posted:

Well, bosses having enrage timers isn't exactly unique to FFXI. Most raid bosses in WoW have a berserk timer that gives them +500% attack speed and +150% damage if you take too long to kill them, mostly so that you don't just bring a raid full of healers and attrition them to death. But in that case, they're usually designed such that unless you go out of your way you're not going to run into them or the fight is designed around the timer, such that you have to stay alive while dealing sufficient damage to the boss before it goes nuts and murders you, as opposed to being a band-aid solution to it being a poorly-designed piece of poo poo.

To elaborate on the timer, Pandaemonium Warden wasn't set to enrage after two hours, he just vanished. Nothing else about that fight changed.

Absolute Virtue, meanwhile, had spells players wouldn't get for YEARS, every single job's two-hour cooldown power, and could spam them, including the one that completely healed him. This made fighting him legitimately effectively impossible, so The Wall of Justice (a zone divider that was JUST short enough to let people on the far side target Absolute Virtue without being targeted back) and other exploits were used to kill him like clockwork to get his drops once they were figured out. Of course, Squeenix threw a shitfit and patched out all the ways of dealing with him except their intended version, which they eventually had to spell out for the playerbase because nobody ever figured it out.

It was something like "when Absolute Virtue uses one of its two-hour job abilities, someone in the alliance fighting it must IMMEDIATELY use the same ability and then Absolute Virtue will no longer be able to use it." It was a really obtuse, unexplained, no-hints way of trying to get an alliance with most of the jobs in the game together to fight him, except all you had to do was lock down his Mage abilities and a few other troublesome ones from common jobs and go for a tank-and-spank.

:shepface: I played too much loving FFXI. I remember when Goblin Smithies were the incarnation of Pubbie Tears, dragged to zone boundaries by veterans to sit there forever, one-shotting any poor idiot who wanted to come level.

• Locked thread