Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kly posted:

My buddy made this on our multiplayer server for the truffle.

Wait...

You can hold watches and bottled clouds in your hand?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kly posted:

The watch doesn't do anything when I have it selected
Aw. :eng99:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, really getting back into it for the first time. What's easier, digging out a thick trench to keep your base safe, or just building an island in the sky?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fewd posted:

In 1.2 there are teleporters so you can connect your base to some further away ugly/simple/optimal defense tower or something.
I never said I wanted ugly, simple, or optimal. I just can't decide if I want to build a sky fortress, or a giant sword piercing the crust of the earth. :black101:

Edit Because both are going to take absolutely absurd amounts of different materials. I'm probably gonna use Tin Bricks, either way. It's the right material, it looks good, and it's pretty drat common. Not sure what I'm gonna do for the handle. Tungsten Brick, maybe? That's pretty rare pre-hardmode, though, and even in a Large world, I might have trouble getting together enough for the size I want.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 18, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fewd posted:

Well obviously the answer is "both" in that case. Remember to post pics when done.
Doing both will require either a map-hack, or basically just strip-mining several different worlds. Maybe both. Not that I'm opposed, just noting that the material cost is going to be enormous. I'll probably prototype both in dirt and stone, while I collect, so I know the layout before I spend several real-time weeks gathering all that crap.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

So do you guys (and people in general) who build these gigantic masterpieces actually mine all of the resources, or hack in some chests filled with stacks of whatever?
I plan to do it legitimately, but I'm completely loving insane (and, more to the point, currently unemployed).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Re: Project Big loving Sword

I decided I wanted to get an idea of the scale, so I built a sort of prototype-outline in my current world with Stone and Dirt, making it about the size I considered reasonable for getting it done. (I want it to be big, but also actually doable. I'll save my Heaven-To-Hell sword for another time. Or a smaller world, at least.) I made the blade just long enough to punch from spawn-level surface (it is, in fact, centered ON the world spawn) to the start of the Underground biome in a large world.

Regular base included at left, for scale.

The 'blade' is 27 blocks wide, which by quick napkin math and measurements makes the blade about 160 blocks long, with the hilt being about another 80 blocks or so. This gives the blade an area of almost 4500 blocks. That's quite a few.

A bit more math for how much tin ore I'm going to need says that, with a perimeter of 374 blocks, I'd need at least that much Tin Ore to get a single-layer-thick outline of the blade. But I don't want a single-layer outline, I want whatever's inside to be completely impervious to hallow/unhallow/crimson. Which means four layers. Factor in walls, partitions, and having some supplies for screw-ups, I'm going to need somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 to 2000 Tin Ore. (Back walls are responsible for a HUGE portion of the rest, considering the 4500-block area that'd need wallpapering.) And that's just the blade.

MATH! :pseudo:

Kenny Logins posted:

It would probably be pretty easy to repurpose an existing Hellavator into a phasesaber if the hilt was surface-side.
Yeah, but that's the lazy man's way. (Also, hunting that many gems is even more of an insane prospect than hunting this much tin, given their respective rarities.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 18, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I just started playing this game the other day and have a quick question. I've got a Blood Moon rising for the first time in this game so far. Right now I'm exploring the crimson/ice biome. Do I have to rush back to my home to defend NPCs against hordes, or if I hang out in a different biome will they be alright? Do enemies only spawn like crazy around you, or over the whole map?
Even if they die, an identical one with a different name will spawn in their room not long after. :ssh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think I have the layout of the sword figured. At ground-levelish is where I'll be keeping all the NPCs. And, as is to be expected of a good base, there's no way in from ground level. Those gaps in the hilt will be the entrances. The gem at the end of the pommel will be where all my best loot is kept (gold chests should make for a nice map image), and further down will be workshops, storage rooms, etc. Not sure what to do with the upside-down pyramid room at the very bottom, just yet.

Gotta say, this thing's gonna look :krad: when it's done.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think I may have actually figured out a way to cut a corner on this.

If I make the outer blade out of Tin Brick, but the rest of the inside of the blade out of regular gray brick, then it should cause a two-tone effect, where the sharper part of the blade is 'shinier' than the rest, and cut down on my having to hunt down Tin significantly! :toot:

Edit Green Brick would look nice, for the hilt. Would require strip-mining the Dungeon, though. And I'm not sure if it'd end up causing a Dungeon Biome there or not?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

You should do some runes on the blade of that sword in lava, otherwise only the edges will be visible once it's filled in.
I actually plan to live in it. So, inside, it will be my base. If I do the other two like Angry Diplomat suggested in a reference to Norwegian landmarks, I'll probably end up doing that.

Eox posted:

And then when you're done, build a floating island with a giant chain attaching it to the pommel :getin:
That is a really cool idea. Dunno what I'll make the chain out of, though, and I'm worried it'll be really easy to screw up and make it look dumb.

KataraniSword posted:

I may be mistaken, but last I heard, it was the background walls that determined Dungeon Biome, not the brick walls, which makes it a little different from Hallow/Corruption/Crimson.
Did some research, looks like in any case, as long as they're player-placed, the dungeon walls do still prevent the spawn of monsters.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Progress report! Finally finished hollowing out the land, then realized I hadn't made the blade wide enough to fit a minimum-width NPC room on each side, so I had to widen the whole thing. From here, it looks like I'm about 1000 tin away from finishing the edge of the blade, maybe closer to 800. Since I'm now rocking Crimson equipment and have killed the Queen Bee, I may pop over to a small world and get my strip-mining on.

My personal quarters are at the very bottom, with every workbench-type item I've currently got available in the area above. From there, lots of empty space, then another, more casual work area, the World Spawn Hall, and then the NPCs. I'll likely need to put more NPC housing in a bit farther down, as 10 isn't going to cut it for long.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 18, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Logan 5 posted:

I really wish there was an end game bee gun. Nothing game me such joy pre-hardmode as that bee gun.

putt-putt-putt-putt-putt-putt-putt-putt-putt BEEEES
Question, related.

If you use the Bee Cloak, the Honeycomb, and the Sweetheart necklace at the same time, do you explode into a giant cloud of bees when you take damage?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Actually, beating one of the old mechanical HM bosses (Twins, Destroyer, Skel Prime) apparently speeds it up, whereas killing Plantera or Golem is what slows it to an inconsequential state.
Not to mention that beating a Mechanical boss means a chance of a Solar Eclipse the next day.

BFS Update: I'm done with the hilt! :toot: About halfway done with the blade, too. Pics coming up in just a bit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Big post about pretend sword bases incoming!

Here's the entryway, where the hilt meets the blade. I'm gonna be lining more cool banners along that ceiling. Once I run out of room, I'll be picking and choosing but for now, if it's not already up there, it goes up! You can see my EoC trophy from this shot, too.

The blade is made of Tin Wall, the inside is Grey Brick, and the hilt is made of Green Brick and Green Tiled wall. Knocking down the above-ground portion of the dungeon gave me almost all the material I needed for that. (Which I had to find in another world, this world's is pink.)

Rest of the hilt. I'll be putting more trophies along the hilt with the EoC one, once I start getting some. My "rare/valuable items with no immediate use" tend to go into the upper chest, sorted by category. (Paintings, materials, clothing, furniture, etc.)

The World Spawn dumps you in the big room. The sign says "Welcome to the BFS! Help yourself to whatever you need from the chest. Exit's up above." The chest has some iron armor and tools, and a few stacks of torches and potions. It mostly exists in case I ever decide to take this world online.

Below that, empty space! I've been focusing on the outer parts of the blade more, so this area still lays mostly neglected. Not sure what I'll do with it. Some of it's almost certainly gonna be storage, but aside from that...

More empty space! It's called the Big loving Sword for a reason.

My base at the base. Also, more empty space that I don't know what to do with. You can see the blade-in-progress really well here.

And here's the whole thing for scale/the OP.

It's also really starting to look pretty fuckin' sick on the minimap.

Work to still be done
Finishing the Blade is priority 1. Which means I'm gonna need a lot more tin.
After that, I'll probably finish the inside, get everything solid, so I can go hardmode without worrying about contamination.
Once that's done, I'll slowly be converting each of the generic apartments to match its occupant. For now, though, I've got enough to do. :effort:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 19, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

That's awesome and I may have to steal your idea. That must have taken alot of tin and stone to build.
So much tin. :negative:

And a fuckoff lot of stone, too, but it's not like it's hard to find stone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That feeling when you get a Warding Obsidian Shield on the first try. :toot:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've been busy with the sword; I haven't even reached hell yet. :eng99:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm really proud of myself for my stupid Fun-guy's mushroom house.

It's a Super Mario Mushroom made out of Mushroom Biome.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zereth posted:

Actually, you can place glowing mushrooms and they turn into a block! And mine back into a mushroom. :eng101:
Wha.. I... that's... but...

...they don't glow in the dark. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

subhelios posted:

My guide died before I knew what the hell I was doing (I still don't, not really).
Make him a house, and he'll respawn! (Don't ask.) At least 6 tall x 10 wide, counting walls, ceiling and floor, with a back wall. It'll also need either a door, or one-way platforms as a way to enter/exit. Wood's a good starting material. Put a torch, chair, and workbench or table in there. That's now valid NPC housing. Stack a bunch of them together, and you have a village, and more dudes will show up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ideally, your first stop after you start Hardmode should actually be the Truffle's house, and then the Ice Biome while it's raining. Ice Golems only spawn during that area's specific weather, and drop pieces of the Frost Armor, which is better than 2/3s of the armor you can get from mining ores. Just be careful, the fuckers have eye lasers that freeze you.

EDIT: Forgot the most important part. :downs:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 20, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

omeg posted:

Welp, got stupidly reckless in Hell and melted in lava. Turns out you can't mirror out fast enough! RIP :supaburn:
Spoiler: Switch windows, then force-quit it while the game is paused and unfocused. Instant-speed get-home mirror.

Edit This of course requires you to be running windowed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pre-Hard Mode, I actually find Meteor Armor to be the best for boss farming. The handful of defense you lose can easily be made up for with trinkets, and if you've got a good spacegun, you can tear through any of the pre-hard bosses incredibly quickly.

Edit gently caress, that'll teach me to leave the response window open for hours/days on end.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alright. That's two separate guide voodoo dolls thrown in lava, two separate guides dying, both times after a save and quit.

Why isn't the WoF spawning? I didn't expect the new stuff to break the old!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

President Ark posted:

Water in hell evaporates, and quite quickly.
If you dump a huge amount in, you can get obsidian over a very significant portion of the lava, though. Doing it on the West/left end is a decent way of starting your Wall of Flesh hallway, assuming your dungeon's also on that side. (Otherwise, maybe not worth the trip.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fishstick posted:

When browsing the wiki, I keep seeing random recommendations of keeping your entire home X amounts of block above the surface in Hardmode - is this really required? I currently have an all-underground hobbit hole with just a small door on top of the surface, with a pit next to it.

Depends on what it's made of and if you don't mind your base suddenly being smack-dab in the middle of a biome filled with tough enemies. Starting hardmode also supercharges the spread of Corruption and a new biome, Hallow. It spreads far and fast, so keeping your base at least 4 blocks off the ground is the only way to for certain keep it safe, unless you have really thick walls and/or use corruption-proof materials (like Red Brick, made from clay).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Segway Rave posted:

Definitely not. Buying an item from the Dryad once you activate Hardmode that spreads the nicer of the two endgame biomes and placing it around Corruption/Crimson zones pretty much solves all your problems.
All your problems except getting impaled by unicorns.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Anyone interested in some multi but not have a server? I might either open up my just-barely-pre-hardmode Giant Fuckoff Sword world, or start a new big world, and bring it online.

But I'd only want to let on people I know, because the internet is a dick.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Esposito posted:

Really the Goblin Tinkerer is probably the least competent NPC.
And yet, the one we'd miss the most if he left.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

Changes:
Mice can no longer spawn in hell
You can longer place Campfires in water
Minimap now draws over enemy health bars
:saddowns:

quote:

Sunflowers now reduce Crimson’s effects
Added new Halloween themed pets
Several friendly NPCs will sell costumes
:swoon:

I have very complicated feelings about this update.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Speaking of disappointing news, turns out that the Bee items don't stack. Cloud of Bees Man is going to remain just a dream, sadly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What's the best way to spawn and farm mimics? I really need a Titan's Glove, for a Power Glove (and eventually, a Fire Gauntlet).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fishstick posted:

So what's a good plan when just starting out in Hardmode? I have a full set of molten armor, night's edge, molten fury, demon scythe and a bunch of semi-useful accessories like the obsidian shield. I've just been trying to farm crimson and hallow a bit for souls, since the underground jungle and dungeon are kicking my rear end.
Get your Mushroom Spear. That poo poo will carry you through the whole of hardmode if you let it.

Then, go into your snow biome, and start hunting the guys with the eyelasers. The spear can hit them through walls, so abuse this. Do this until you have an Ice Feather, and a full set of Frost Armor. Frost Armor is better than the first two tiers of Hardmode ore, and arguably than the third, too, depending on your build. From there, hang out on your flying island until you kill enough Wyverns to get 20 souls of flight. Make Frost Wings, if you have a Mythril Anvil. Get one, if you don't.

You are now set to stomp all over hardmode.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mental Midget posted:

I waited through 2 Full Moons to farm Werewolves for that drat thing and no drops yet. It's literally the last component I need for my Ankh Shield)
Why not Rusty Armored Bones? None in your dungeon?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kjermzs posted:

Do I need a new world for bags of goodies to drop off monsters?
Nope!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mental Midget posted:

The only other items I can think of that require many stages to construct like this are the Terra Blade. Any other obvious ones I'm missing?
Flame Gauntlet takes a few, as does the Ninja Outfit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kjermzs posted:

Weird, I just killed a bunch of stuff but nothing's dropping :/
It's a rare-ish drop.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hunting trinkets and broken Hero's sword, oh boy. :confuoot:

My kingdom for a potion of "increased item find chance".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Thanks for the help everyone, I actually found it like, two feet from my hellivator while on my way to get a hellforge :frog:(don't you dare mention how hosed my progression is)
Your progression is hosed.

But Frost Armor and Shroom Spear don't take forges!

• Locked thread