Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SirSamVimes posted:

I have come to the conclusion that my jungle just plain doesn't have hives.

:smith:

Honestly, look in every goddamn little nook and cranny where you might think the hive could possibly fit. My friend and I only found the one in our jungle by random chance when digging into a wall some. There's a good chance it might not be visible from the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mazz posted:

I can't be sure with the metals yet, but there is definitely a difference in the new woods in terms of build quality of items.

The new woods are pretty easily picked up if nothing else. Don't think the wood from the Corruption and the Crimson are any different stat-wise. Same with alternate ores. Just there to be different and have a different look about them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I meant that the Crimson/Corruption woods are the same and just a reskin, just like the ores. Of course some tiers of wood are higher than others.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Even if there is a tiny difference between some varieties of ore/whatever, it's generally not going to mean much because you're probably going to blast past those tiers quickly enough.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dapper Dan posted:

With the new patch, I've been wanting to get back into Terraria. I'll only be playing single-player, are there any recommendations on world size?

Small for sure if by yourself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

My friends and I got the mushroom guy to spawn more or less immediately after we started Hard Mode. All I can think of is that we had an above-ground mushroom biome sitting on top of our base. Maybe that spawns it? No idea about other NPCs, though. Also, the Wall of Flesh must have been made easier, because we sort of trashed it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Flares are limited, but more are sold at the merchant for 7 copper each.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The same happened on my friend's multiplayer server, but it was a message about the ground trembling before the Destroyer decided to burrow around in our base and kill every NPC. We had just started Hard Mode. It was hilarious.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Azzents posted:

That's the reason why I'm hunting them down. I just found one but it had the pharaoh getup. Could any Terarria old guards give me some tips on if it would be easier to farm small worlds or large worlds.

Small all the way if you're by yourself. Easier to scout out and explore. When a map is smaller it doesn't necessarily have less of stuff. It's just crammed together a little bit tighter, so if a map is gonna have a pyramid it's going to be determined by the random chance when creating it and not the size.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Medium worlds seem to be enough for even servers with 4-5 people, so I really don't recommend anyone make a Large world unless they really want to. Travel time on those is loving insane.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Do those ice golems have specific spawning conditions? Like, aboveground/underground or various weather events? I've only encountered one and got the 'special' thing it drops, but I want more of the equipment they also have.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

KataraniSword posted:

In the dungeon in my current world, there was a King Statue right in the path of a dart trap.

I lost half my NPCs on my first hardmode trip before I realized what the gently caress was happening. :downs:

How do you actually GET an above-ground Mushroom Biome anyway, short of steampunk shenanigans that I can't afford since Redigit fixed all the easy money glitches?

Plant mushroom grass seeds above-ground in mud. It's been changed so that they can spread up there.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dr Tasty posted:

Is anyone having issues with remapping controls? It's not allowing me and some other people to assign controls to different buttons and nothing on google seems to address it.

I can't remap controls either. It's weird, as I can click on each button and it brings up a little underscore like I'm supposed to press the key I want bound to it instead, but it does absolutely nothing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The Crimson definitely does look/feel cooler than the Corruption. Almost in a way where it feels like it's had more work done on it. Also less of a pain in the rear end to cross over when traveling across the map.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The new high-tier picks/axes are there for people who don't want to hear the annoying as hell noise of a chainsaw/drill all the time. No difference otherwise.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The temple in general is kind of lackluster beyond the boss, unless you want to take the traps for yourself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I would honestly say that making bosses harder is kind of the wrong way to go when the more logical thing to do would be to nerf the overpowered things. There's plenty of people who don't really feel like abusing the broken as poo poo healing of the Spectre set, and 'punishing' them for it by making the new bosses even harder to kill would be a swift kick in the rear end. No one wants it to turn into a test of whether or not you have X and Y required to win instead of a test of skill/brute force/preparation/whatever. It's an issue that's pretty much always going to be present when a game has a very defined 'tier' system for armor/weapons with not much deviation, but it doesn't help to enable people using the overpowered stuff by making it tougher for the rest.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

More unique tactics used by bosses would be neat, but at this point it would be hard to imagine what could exactly be done considering that there's only so much players can use against them. If bosses can disable buffs and heal from certain types of damage occasionally and whatever the hell along with making GBS threads out large amounts of damage and taking forever to kill, it'll just turn into a game of seeing how many players you can get to brute force the poo poo out of the boss so you can ignore the 'special' conditions. The game is fun, but it's pretty simple at heart. The Spectre armor seems like something that was cool in concept but when released to the public quickly turned into an easy way to chump out basically everything, because we all know how people are and how well they can figure this poo poo out. The Spectre armor being relatively easy to make compared to other stuff doesn't help matters, either. (I say most of this because I highly doubt Redigit will go back and add extra crap to the bosses in the 1.2.1 update.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The argument is less 'the Spectre set absolutely needs to be nerfed' and more 'let's not make other parts of the game harder just to compensate for it'. At least, that's what it started as.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It would probably help if it took more to make the set, since as it is now it's incredibly easy to get the materials needed. Adding in a second ingredient would probably go well towards making it more of an end-game thing depending on what it is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

How fast the pickaxes swing doesn't even come into play, as you can hold down the button and move your cursor around to rip out blocks just as fast as you can with an equal-quality drill.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

MR. J posted:

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/S.D.M.G.

Has anyone actually gotten one of these? I've been picking up all the silt and slush I find on my excavations and no luck so far.

I'm like 100% sure the devs have confirmed that gun isn't in the game yet, and that wiki page is lying to get people to waste their time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'm positive I've seen a link to the official forums where one of the devs specifically says that there's no way to get the gun without hacking it in. Even with the weird drops some things have, it also makes no sense to have some ultra-megashark thing be a rare drop from the extractor thing. As for the Uzi? No clue. It's entirely possible a decimal was misplaced or some poo poo. Given that Plantera likes to drop a green-accented Grenade Launcher, the vine things dropping a green-tinted Uzi doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I have an idea to make a Doom/Quake-themed loadout with the new explosive weapons and a shotgun, but I dunno what armor to use in the vanity slots to make it look 'close'. Going to be using Shroomite stuff for the actual gear, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

KataraniSword posted:

Turns out that dye is both more and less effective on different outfits than I expected, and that with the right combinations of dyes, the Jungle Shirt and Crimson Greaves worked better for both types. I'm still looking for a better dye for the Doomguy helmet, though.

For the Doomguy, that's a Lime/Black Dye, Green Dye, and Green/Black Dye (since I was lacking other dyes to experiment with and didn't want to farm them :effort:) on a Meteor Helmet, Jungle Shirt, and Crimson Greaves.

Whereas Quakedude came out far better with a simple Lime/Black, and a Wood Helmet. Copper (or some sort of dyed iron) would likely work almost as well, though.

An iron helmet would probably go well with the Quake outfit, since it has that 'tactical' helmet sorta look. The wood seems a tiny bit too blocky, even if the Quake models were a bit lackluster in detail.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The short answer is 'probably not'. There's a lot of dangerous enemies in the dungeon.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fewd posted:

So to create a surface shroom biome for Truffle, I just need to spread an underground glowing blue biome to the surface? I noticed there's one next to my hellavator so theoretically I could just slap mud all over the hellavator wall and it'd get to surface eventually. I'd get a nice lighting on it as a bonus.

In other news, killed WoF yesterday (who dropped a +15% magic dmg + 4% dmg emblem) and mushed the altars. Got all the new hardmode ores in my world. I'm fine with this. :woop:

You can just plant the mushroom seeds aboveground now. The stuff can spread like usual, but it requires you to intervene because normally it won't be able to spread to the surface.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

trucutru posted:

So, hardmode enemies have stopped spawning in my world's dungeon. Is this a known bug or am I just that unlucky?

We should probably keep quoting this for like 5 or 6 pages.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Having the Hardmode Dungeon enemies be locked behind Plantera is interesting. Definitely sets a new 'chain' of things to do.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Spectre boots are just a tinker combination of Hermes boots and rocket boots. They have nothing to do with the Hardmode Dungeon ectoplasm drops.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Chances are you were doing something that killed Voodoo Demons without you knowing it and they happened to be over lava.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I got the left painting of the dude in red fighting the Destroyer from the dungeon.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

They took out the hellstone/cross necklace exploit because it was pretty dumb. The bosses were also dumb, but they've been nerfed a little bit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Golems get stuck on the terrain a lot and falls into pits super easily. Make sure to look around a little bit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The reforge system would be a lot less dumb if the prefixes you could get for items were all positive in some way and there weren't lovely/overpowered ones in the mix just to spite you or make you obsessively spend gold to get the 'best' prefix. Being able to choose one that fits your playstyle best instead of grinding the luck game for the highest stats is always preferable.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mostly I just enjoy games where one option or another isn't the 'best' when you get to the highest tier of play. The reforge system will probably always be a moneysink, but I would mind less if none of the options were objectively shittier or better than the others. Needs more varied options for sure.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Having the Destroyer melt after a couple of seconds using certain debuffs due to multiple segments always seemed like a weird oversight as far as difficulty goes, so good that that was changed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jesto posted:

Does anyone know what content is removed after the Halloween event ends? Can you no longer summon Pumpkin Moons? Because that would suck, it's a huge piece of content that I'm still struggling with. :(

I want to get everything before the event ends, but don't know what to focus on.

You'll be able to get Pumpkin Moons after the event by crafting Pumpkin Medallions. They take pumpkins, Hallowed bars, and Ectoplasm to make. The Dryad or whoever will keep selling pumpkin seeds all the time after the event ends to let you grow your own.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jesto posted:

Thanks! So it's just goodie bags that vanish? Cauldrons?

I think so, but don't take my word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If there's anything one should take away from the advice given in this thread, it's Never Go Melee, Just Use Ranged Options.

• Locked thread