Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I don't think so, but you can always paint the wall behind or the floor under the chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mental Midget posted:

I love that I got like 4 answers to the dilemma, and they are all different, yet valid ways to do it. This game is ridiculous with content!

Thanks so much for the reponses, all, I think I'm going to try each method tonight just for the hell of it! First up I need to build a house for my Dryad since I already killed Eye of Cthulu.

A little side note: if you use explosives you can pick up all the crimstone blocks that drop and use them to build stuff, but if you place too many, you can accidentally create an artifical crimson biome and get lots of horrible fleshmonsters spawning, which makes the NPCs not want to move in.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Soloing bosses as a mage for me usually means wearing melee armor just for the defense, and using magic power potions and the crystal ball to make up the difference in damage output. Regen/ironskin/soup potions also of course.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

President Ark posted:

I'd think reforging all your accessories to have +3-5 defense on them would give you better results as a mage since you'd still have your set bonus.

e: Also: Find heart statues and wire them up to timers around where you're planning to fight bosses! Those free hearts add up.

The set bonuses for (non-spectre) hardmode-tier wizard armors are really bad. All they do is reduce mana usage, and mana consumption is meaningless since you can buy unlimited greater mana potions from the wizard. All you're really losing from wearing the melee helmet instead of the mage hat is the innate bonuses from the mage hat itself, which are all increases to damage and/or crit chance. The melee helmet set bonus on the other hand, includes a buff to movement speed, which is still very useful for a mage build. Essentially wearing the melee helmet instead of mage gives you at least 20 more defense and a bunch of movement speed, in exchange for some damage or crit chance. Mages can buff their damage with potions and the crystal ball, so I think the increased defense is a fair trade.

I know heart statues are really useful, but I've never ever found even one, in the four or five worlds I've played since heart statues were introduced.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You probably won't need more than three gravitation potions to find all flying islands on a small world. Two is probably enough if you keep moving once you find one and go back to loot it later. Ropes are the easiest way to get up to an island you already know about once your potion's worn off.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

graynull posted:

Goofy question, I'm sure this has been asked before but wasn't able to find it. Does ebonstone brick cause corruption (either biome or vegetation)? I know raw ebonstone does, and that demonite bricks do not. I'm starting the great rebuild of my little town and considering my various building material styles and options.

It didn't corrupt before, but several things changed in the big patch regarding what spreads corruption. I can confirm that since the new patch, corruption still can't jump more than a 3-tile gap, so you can do a test by surrounding a little flying ebonstone brick with some normal stone and seeing if it turns to ebonstone. Just put your experiment a half-dozen tiles above the ground and you should be safe.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TwystNeko posted:

Okay, when is it a good time to attempt the hardmode bosses? I've got Palladium armor, along with the Golden Shower. I tried the destroyer, and it just annihilated me. I seem to be in a catch-22: I can't get good stuff in the jungle, because I can't mine what little chlorophyte ore there is. I can't get stuff from the dungeon, because no hardmode enemies until I kill Plantera. No eclipses before killing a hardmode boss either. Am I stuck scouring Hell for adamantite? What should I be doing at this point?

What accessories are you using? A good mage setup for him is mana flower, sorcerer's emblem, spectre boots, wings, and cross necklace. Health regeneration ring or philosopher's stone are good choices if you don't have a cross necklace. Band of starpower isn't a necessary, with your mana flower and a big stack of mana potions from the wizard, you'll have practically infinite mana anyway. Reforge them to get as much +defense as you can, and make sure to bring all the relevant buffs. Ironskin potion, bowl of soup, regeneration potion, crystal ball, and Mana power potions are the things you want. Also, consider wearing the palladium melee helmet instead of the mage hat. It'll lower your damage a bit, but give you a LOT more defense.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Darn it. Can I kill it with full Oricicalcum and a golden stream, or should I farm some hallowed armor?

Yes, you'll be fine. Bring some buff potions and sticky bombs to make a biggish room to dodge in. (be careful not to blow up the pink flower itself, that destroys it without summoning Plantera).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Wall of flesh comes from the nearest edge of the map. So if you're left of the map center, it'll come from the left.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Deathweed still grows randomly on crimstone. I don't know if it grows on crimson grass, I don't recall ever seeing it there.

The only other loss from getting Crimson is you can't get vile mushrooms, which means no vile powder, which means no directly transmuting Hallow to Normal terrain until you get the Clentaminator.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Is the "I'm a newbie, what do :saddowns:" pretty much the same post-patch as it was pre-patch, i.e. Just Start Digging? I haven't played this in at least half a year.

Are you looking to encounter the new stuff the big patch added, or just progress through the game in general?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

The whole game, really--last time I played I never really got very far at all.

If you want to see roughly everything in a given world here's a fair start. You can sequence break this a lot once you understand the game.

Day 1: Make a house.

Collect wood and stone, and kill at least one slime to get a gel. Craft a workbench out of wood and place it down, then stand near it to get access to new crafting recipes. Build a house for the guide and yourself. A house consists of a solid barrier of player-placed blocks with no gaps in it except for doors or wooden platforms. The house needs to be about 8 blocks high, ten blocks wide. The house needs a table, a chair, (craft out of wood while near the workbench) and a light source (make a torch out of slime gels and wood). Finally the house needs a background wall. Make stone or wooden background walls at the workbench. Background walls prevent enemy spawns in that area and allow the room to be considered a house.

Day 2: Arm and explore

Collect more wood, make a wooden broadsword and wooden armor at the workbench, maybe a bow and arrows if you have enough wood and stone. Go exploring along the surface and kill things. Smash pots and loot any chests you see. If you run into the jungle or the corruption, turn back. The desert or the ice biome is fine though.

Day 3: House the merchant.

If you have at least 50 silver from your explorations, then make another house for the merchant. Make a bunch of torches, then find a cave and start exploring. Mine any shiny ores you see, loot chests, especially collect crystal hearts and use them immediately to increase your max hp. Your goal is to get at least 15 iron (or 15 lead) ore.

Day 4: Return home, and make a furnace out of stone, wood, and torches. Use the furnace to smelt all your ores into bars, and use the iron or lead to make an anvil. Now you can make metal tools and weaopns.

Day 5: Explore caves, mining ore and upgrading your gear, getting as deep as you can. Collect a bunch of cobwebs, and keep smashing pots until you find some bombs or grenades.

Day 6: Make new houses. If you found a bomb, you'll attract a demolitions dwarf to sell more bombs to you. If you found a crystal heart, you'll attract a nurse who can heal you instantly for a little money. Buy a bunch of bombs and craft them together with gels to make sticky bombs. Now you can just huck them at ore or walls to mine quickly and easily. Make a sawmill, then a loom, then craft your cobwebs into silk. Craft silk and wood to make a bed, which lets you set it as your spawn point. Loot gems and valuable metals from the deep earth.

Day 7: Have you found a spooky looking altar anywhere in your travels? If you haven't check down a hole in the corruption. Collect at least 6 lenses from the floating eyes that attack you at night and bring them to the altar to craft a Spooky Looking Eye. Use the eye at night for Fun. If it's too much Fun for you, then try to upgrade your long-range options, or build an area where it's easier for you to have Fun. Check the various merchants in your town for things that might be helpful.

By now you should understand the basics. Ask the guide about any new items you find to see what you can make out of them, explore deeper and more dangerous biomes, kill things, build more houses every so often to see if you qualify to attract new NPCs. Do reckless things to attract Fun. If you've done all this, ask again for more tips on where to go next.

Throw the doll in the lava.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

apostateCourier posted:

No, but the normal enemies there still spawn dungeon spirits. They made it easier to get spectre armor.

Have you tried this? Because I thought only enemies with more than 100 hp had a chance to spawn spirits, and that means only the dungeon slime until you unlock the harder dungeon mobs.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I end up using the social slots for storing backup stuff, like whatever helmet gives me a set bonus while keeping the miner helmet on for the light most of the time. I guess later on I'll need to reconsider my light source but the helmet's been the most convenient so far.

Have you set up an alchemy garden? A line of ten to twenty clay pots will keep you in night owl and shine potions forever, and free up your head slot when you need more combat stats.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The tinker can spawn anywhere at cavern depth, dungeon included. He's easy to find in the dungeon because like all bound NPCs, he takes one of the enemy spawn slots, and the dungeon tends to have a high enemy turnover rate.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ssthalar posted:

I transplanted a crimson biome into my main map that has corruption.
Tossed down about 400 Crimsand on the surface and watched as it started to spread to the nearby grass.
(then I built a temple on it)

Was this in hard mode?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The best way I know to make money is to farm the Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu, turning all the ore drops into bars, and then selling the bars. You can easily make more than 15 gold per kill, getting the materials to summon them is easy, and you don't even need to wait for nightfall. Killing one won't take you more than a minute since you've got hell-tier equipment.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mental Midget posted:

The way I'm playing, which is kind of like this, is I'm keeping my main world and main base on Normal Mode, because I want to keep building and decorating in relative peace, and keep the majority of my loot in one centralized area. Then I'm spawning additional worlds to do different things like farm Wall of Flesh, explore hardmode stuff, etc. but only building one room outposts on those worlds. It's a bit of metagaming that I'm finding pretty fun.

Are you just planning to never get hardmode NPCs?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Just go off about your business. If you spend a bit of time elsewhere on the map, they'll have teleported to their new homes by the time you get back.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Shine potions. Glowing mushroom + day bloom.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you've got 81 bars of meteorite you can make a full space suit and a space gun, which is hilarious fun at this stage of the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Don't forget to place a heart lamp for even more regen, and a water candle to accelerate the enemy spawns to plow through the waves faster.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RatHat posted:

Yeah I don't think the water candle will make a difference.

The water candle increases the number of enemies that can be on screen at once by 50%. Does it not work during a pumpkin moon for some reason?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tin Tim posted:

Is there some trick to getting Moonglow seeds? I've been searching the Jungle at night, but can't seem to find a single plant. Are they just really rare, or do you have to go into the underground?

They're not really rare, but like all alchemy plants, when the game first spawns them they look like a little immature grass that has to grow up before it blooms/is harvestable. This can take a few days. If you have been running through there often cutting all the grass, you're probably destroying all the immature moonglow before it has a chance to bloom. Clear out the shrubs, leave the jungle for a few days and come back. That said, they do seem to be more common underground, so if you are buff enough to handle the underground jungle, then just explore down there at night time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I'm going to go against the general sentiment and say there are enough easily accessible powerful options that the super rare drops are more like a nice bonus if you happen to luck into them and totally unnecessary to play the core game.

Mushroom Spear is a great melee weapon and easily obtained, Megashark for ranged, and Golden Shower for magic. If you needed the dungeon chest uber weapons to progress then yeah it would be bullshit, but you don't at all.

It's not the fact that the game is too hard without the drops, it's the fact that people (myself included) resent having to do endless tedious grinding to access all the content of our singleplayer game. I know I CAN win with golden shower and the megashark, but I want to mess around with all the stuff. Getting the rare drops isn't difficult, it's just incredibly boring.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Nothing for permanent, but there are accessories that give you up to seven seconds of lava exposure before you start to take damage.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TerryLennox posted:

What's the consensus on map revealing? I'm about to enter hardmode, got my bridge in hell ready for the fight, wearing necro armor and have a few stacks of meteor shot for my minishark. Before I enter hardmode, I kind of want the staff of regrowth but my freaking jungle shrines love to repeat the same items again and again, I've gotten about 5 feral claws and I'm sick of endless exploring of the jungle looking for that one item.

I wouldn't bother looking for it. It's a terrible weapon, and if you just want to spread grass you can buy grass seeds from the Dryad for 20 copper pennies each. Unless you just want one of every item in the game in which case good luck with that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TerminusEst13 posted:

I'm a bit confused about the whole "progression" thing, though. I really...have no goddamn clue what I'm supposed to do or where to go next, though some people have told me that's the charm of it. At the very least, I wish the guide wasn't so drat cryptic. :shobon:

In the meantime, here's a little mountain fortress-thing I made in a few hours.

That's a cool fort design. It looks like you've got some good armor, so your next goal is probably to load up on bombs and go to the creepy biome. Head down the shaft(s) there until you find something ominous and glowing, and blast your way through the unminable blocks to get to it.

Also if you hit those stucco blocks with a hammer, you can turn them into ramps/half blocks and even out that jagged bump in your floor there.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No, the whole point of pots is that you have to selectively mine them in order to harvest their contents. Great if you only have one seed and you want to grow more while being sure that you don't accidentally hit the immature plant. Not so good if you're trying to mass-harvest and have no shortage of space to work with.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah selling demonite bars from the destroyer should make you 5-10 gold per boss kill, and if you have a ball o' hurt, vilethorn, or blade of grass, he'll die in like 30 seconds.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there any sort of mod that cures the case of MMO super-rare drop-itis the main game has? I've never experienced like 30% of the items in this game just because I don't want to grind dire moles or whatever for hours.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

kazil posted:

Just get an editor and give yourself whatever you want. Yeah the drop rates suck but there is no penalty for cheating.

I know I can cheat. Cheating involves tabbing out and seeing what stuff I'm supposed to be able to get from what guy, finding the item, adding it in, it's awkward and inconvenient, although I grant it's slightly less awkward than actually farming the stuff up legitimately. I was hoping there would just be a mod that just ups the rare drop rates so I don't have to mess with all that external stuff and can feel like I'm still proceeding somewhat legitimately.

Vib Rib posted:

The GRealm mod has something called Affluent Ingots, which are super difficult/expensive to get, but you can use them make a pretty solid armor set.
At full, the affluent armor set has an 8% drop-doubling effect, which isn't exactly what you're looking for, but increased drops on an armor set is pretty awesome.

That's a cool idea for an armor set, but as you say, an 8% chance to double doesn't help when there's a .01% chance to get even one of something in the first place.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Imagine if Terraria had two kinds of enemy, flying and not-flying, and there was only ever one on the screen at the same time, and that they both die in one hit, and that you die in two hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Deakul posted:

I haven't played Terraria in about 4 years, what'd I miss? :ohdear:

The guide only lets monsters into the house half as much as he used to.

• Locked thread