Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

maketakunai posted:

You know those awesome accessories you used previously such as the Obsidian Shield and the Specter Boots?

Ask the guide about them :)

In fact, if you get an accessory, just ask the guide about it 'coz it probably makes something new.
Any item that can be crafted into something else will have "Material" in its text.
Check EVERYTHING for "Material" and put them on the Guide and look at all the poo poo there is to build.
Even if you think you know everything that can be built from an item, put it on him anyways. You may be surprised. so many wings!

Then clean up those bricks when you discover that previously endgame items have at least two more stages to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Ashsaber posted:

Okay, there's definitely something off with how suitable NPC housing is determined now. I just went back to my old worlds and noticed an NPC moved, and the room they used to stay in was deemed unsuitable, despite nothing changing. So I put down a table and a chair, and added another torch, and it was still seen as unsuitable. Any idea what's changed?
Any uncovered cracks in the background wall are now unacceptable, whereas before I swear you could get away with small open windows.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Skwee posted:

I hope there was a pressure plate or something that triggered that poo poo, cuz if boulders could just fall on you out of nowhere in other difficulty modes than the easy one i am in that would kind of suck.
Yeah, it's a pressure plate trap. Survivable with more health and armor. Dart traps are also triggered by pressure plates.

As are explosive traps, which are... significantly less survivable.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I used to make these horrible landspike spires over my hellevators with crafting/storage at/around ground floor, and two columns of NPC apartments on either side of the main shaft. Real easy to access with the right floor spacing. The incredible number of new NPCs means the spire's height starts getting out of control and wyverns become a problem, though, so I'm trying out a three column setup. Not sure if I like it.

Devour or Fire posted:

All the ultra endgame stuff is nice but I've really taken a shining to Golden Shower since 1. It has infinite penetration, a high rate of fire, and low mana cost along with the defense debuff jacking up the damage a good deal which makes it fantastic for mowing through hordes of poo poo while also hitting things like paladins hiding behind a skeleton army so they don't plow my face with hammers plus generating loads of health with ghost armor 2. It is piss magic, like the KC Green comic
Okay, you need Tim's hat, and a raincoat from rain zombies so you can complete the look.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Crimson is awesome as hell. I still have a soft spot for the Corruption - the music is rad, the chasm layout is really distinctive and menacing and eerie, and the Eater of Worlds is a legitimately cool boss - but the Crimson completely nails that horrifying otherworldly Lovecraftian feel in a way the Corruption never did. When I visit the Corruption, I'm all upbeat about it because it's a cool Evil Dangerous Biome to kill stuff and get treasure in. When I visit the Crimson, I'm all :ohdear: because oh god this place is so dangerous and gross and scary oh no leave me alone spiders nooooo. It just fulfills the role of a horror-themed danger zone so much better.
The Corruption is a virulent darkness. It is simple to understand, one half of a black and white relationship with the Hallow. We cognitively compartmentalize it easily.

But the Crimson? The Crimson is just meat.
Everything there is made of meat.
The monsters are meat.
The drops are meat.
The boss is meat.
You are meat.
MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT :unsmigghh:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Meat is truth. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane.

The Hallow and Corruption represent light and dark (but not good and evil - this is Terraria, everything is evil), but the Crimson defies even such basic classification. It is beneath symbology, just as under our faces and identities, we are all giblets and gore.

The Crimson strips away the false dichotomy of Corruption and Hallow, leaving only what is Real: an insane bovine globe.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Shadowmorn posted:

Fellow Goons, how do you sort your junk?

Because seriously, i need a better system then 4 chests with an item above them on a shelf trying to indicate what type they are. :smithicide:

I'd kill for a sorting system, like modded Minecraft. Something like wiring all the chests together to a Sort-a-Tron and it cleanly stacks everything together.
Don't bother with signs. You have to stop and read them individually. Too slow.

I put two blocks in the floor that represent what's in the storage column above them.

Two copper ore in the floor, thus everything in the column above is related to copper. In the current system, the chest directly on the ore contains the final products - armor, tools, etc. Immediately above, platforms with a chest containing copper ingots. Then a platform holding 2-tall crafting stations (same height as chests - 3-tall stations go elsewhere). Finally a platform and chest containing the actual copper ore. By standing on the crafting platform, I can easily reach all of my materials.
Extend this to cover all your basic ores. You can easily mix originals with alt versions now, since chests have doubled in size.

Extend further to cover Tier 2 stuff. Demonite/MEATMETAL ore indicates Corruption/MEAT materials and items. Jungle indicates Jungle materials and items. Meteor and hellstone for their respective stuff, but this may be unpleasant for unwary guests. Two dungeon blocks indicate dungeon drops and bones - I also include cobwebs since they go into the Necro armor.

This handles hardmode ores nicely, of course. And all your building materials are covered with a simple one-layer version.

For each column, types of storage can show how much the materials have been processed. For instance, ores in barrels, ingots in brown chests, final products in gold chests.

The new biome-specific chests simplify some things even more, since one glance tells you where they're from and what you can expect inside. Not all biomes are covered, so mix up the two systems.

The greatest thing is that unloading is real easy. If you put singles of items into a few unoccupied chest slots, you can just go from chest to chest hitting quick stack instead of inventory hunting.

EDIT: ah, I have found an example

Also shown: pre-1.2 blast shielding, NPC storage, and tree farm organization.
The giant stacks of gold chests at the top was for the mountains of armor, weapons and accessories we accumulated. The tux is cosmetic items, ninja is ranged, shadowscale and wizard cover melee and magic respectively.

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 5, 2013

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

SirSamVimes posted:

So how do you host without Hamachi? I tried doing so with both the Host and Play and dedicated server options, and my friend couldn't connect to me either way.
Whatever Red changed, everything that worked for me in the past doesn't anymore. I'm resorting to Hamachi now, but the 5 player limit sucks.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

lohli posted:

You should be able to get around that with the host being in multiple hamachi network groups.
Well, this is certainly a thing.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I've noticed that the temple floors are spaced so that on a high enough resolution, you can see lizard dudes spawning in on the next floor down. Going on a marathon circuit through the temple to get power cells was mind numbing, to say the least.

But, after nearly a dozen heat rays and other assorted drops, I finally got a Picksaw, allowing me to dig a hole down to the next floor and do this:

E I E I O

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Shark Tower posted:

I'm too lazy/efficient for that though, so my home's just a floating tower with all my NPCs' rooms stacked on top of one another, separated with wooden platforms so that I can easily fly up the middle.
You must somehow incorporate a shark tank into this, so that you are not wasting your name.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Note that digging really close to it below 0 feet may cause the Guardian to go schizo and murder you without warning.
There's really nothing quite like exploring a horizontal shaft in the Corruption and suddenly being greeted by the "BWOOOORGH" of a boss summon, promptly followed by your giblets being slapped across the area by a giant supersonic skull erupting out of the ground.

Ssthalar posted:

Stems back to when the game came out.
The guide would happily wander around, even during blood moons, and would be most graciously and open the door for all the monsters outside all the time.
If you dig around and find the Dev LP from extremely early prerelease versions of Terraria, even Red himself couldn't stand the guy after a while. The slime spawns were also completely out of control.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Enallyniv posted:

I swear half my decent spelunking expeditions end in an accidental Mirror-port, after which I remember why I never keep that loving thing on my bars.
Are you misscrolling or accidentally selecting the mirror with a stray mouseclick? I know I tend to keep the mirror on 0 and used to have a problem with stray clicks and accidental teleports.

If that's the problem, there should be a lock icon next to the bar when you open your inventory, and it turns off mouseclick selection of items on the bar.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

voltron lion force posted:

Jesus christ how have I never noticed this.
A lot of things going on with the interface were put in to address problems with prior versions of the interface. So they come across as somewhat obvious to people who had to deal with the earlier problems, but to anyone unfamiliar with the entire history, it's just kind of "uh, wait, what?" For instance, that lock icon was put in specifically to address stray clicks hitting the quick select bar, and anyone who had that problem, then noticed the sudden appearance of the icon after a major patch could put 2 and 2 together and go "does this do what I think it does?!"

Warframe, of all things, has a similar situation going on with its UI.

I did a couple UI test of Terraria and I assure you, just as I assured more than one tester, that no, you are not the retarded one in this situation.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Akett posted:

To the lower right is a regular block with a lowered platform on top of it. It acts like the blocks of old and I can't walk over it. Not the most exciting thing, I know.
On the contrary! It may not be as incredibly bizarre as other plank/halfblock interactions, or as grandiosely evil as some traps, but with this information, I think you have given us what is potentially the most insanely infuriating thing to do to people in early game multiplayer.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Didn't know about Plantera's enrage when I got a few other people to fight it. The bulb was close to the surface, we broke it and flew out. I thought something was up when it arrived and we got annihilated in seconds.

Despite that, I didn't look up any changes and we tried again. Since it was deeper this time and I knew the path better, everyone stayed at the surface while I was on break-and-run detail.

Turns out I can outrun and despawn Plantera, even through a winding unlit jungle path. :cripes:

Only then did I find out about the enrage, but I swear stage 1 Plantera moves a whole hell of a lot slower now. When we finally found another bulb, we built an arena around it and spent a surprising amount of time waiting for it to show up, but back when I fought it solo and pre-enrage, it would always come barreling in from off screen within seconds, and kiting it to the surface - even with a drop shaft - turned into a really close chase.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Hot Lead Allergy posted:

While everyone was freaking out about him not being easy to cheese, this was the actual change. Plantera moves like a snail until second form now.
Now that I'm certain this is the case, stage 1 Plantera really isn't any problem at all with just a rudimentary arena, that you will have plenty of time to get to since it's so drat slow. Really, you're probably more at risk of outrunning and despawning Plantera like I did.

...or getting hit because you were standing around laughing at someone for bumping their magic mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

While messing around with the Pumpkin Moon in multiplayer, the first activation on top of a skybridge summoned the harpy and wyvern air force instead, until we went down to ground level.

I might have to see if that's repeatable, or if it has a similar effect in Hell.

• Locked thread