Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Holy diamonds, batman :stare:

Time to upgrade my staff! I have Aqua Scepter, but the staves are nice for longer range.

So, this is my hardcore character. I've cleared out Crimson, Dungeon and Jungle (killed one Queen Bee and got a Bee Gun :dance:, still need to find temple entrance). Heading to Hell now to gather materials/raid some chests. I'm quite a bit afraid of killing WoF, as on a previous mediumcore char both Destroyer and Twins spawned on their own just a couple nights after triggering hardmode, when I was anything but ready to fight them. Any advice for minimizing the risk?

So far I have:
  • Full crimson/meteorite/soon hellstone sets.
  • All pre-hardmode Jungle craftables
  • Spells: Aqua Scepter, Crimson Rod, Bee Gun, Diamond Staff, Water Bolts, Magic Missiles
  • Accessories: using: Lightning Boots, Obsidian Shield, Mana Flower, Horseshoe Balloon, Panic Necklace (most forged as +3/+4 armor, but I don't have a lot of gold). In stash: Climbing Gear, more Mana Flowers, Cobalt Shields, Bezoars, Nazars, one Band of Regeneration

One of my issues is money: I don't have enough to reforge everything to the state I'd like. What's the easy way to farm now?

My MO for hardmode prepping is:
  • Prepare a fortified house, because right now it's not protected at all save some wired stone enclosures.
  • Prepare a boss arena, with nurse and a buff potion chest. I'll probably set my spawn there initially so if a boss appears on its own I can mirror there immediately. I have one heart and one star statue so those will help a bit.
  • Obtain a minishark (Maybe? Is it still worth it?)
  • Make a Star Cannon? Would need to farm more stars though, is it worth it?

I'm still thinking of what to do after triggering hardmode itself. Main concern is the time pressure of bosses that could spawn on their own. I don't know what the chances of that happening are, but I had it happen very soon after triggering hardmode. So probably the first thing is to get better armor ASAP, but that can be a pretty dangerous thing on its own if you can't die.

Fakeedit: I've checked the code and (spoilers for hardmode events)
it seems bosses can only spawn if you're underground? :v: And the chance for boss spawn is 10% each night for every mechanical boss you haven't killed yet.

Code: http://pastebin.com/D63PR8wP

With that info I can probably gather ores without much worry. Just need a clock. Killing multiple WoFs for drops is a good idea as well (it can spawn at daytime, right?) I've only seen a bit of 1.2's hardmode before, so this will be fun. More hardcore hardmode trip records on the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Well yeah, probably noone cares about spoilers at this point anymore. :v:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

DoublePLayer posted:

I don't think this is correct, as I've had bosses spawn while I was farming wyverns for their souls.

Also, you're crazy for going hardcore, shine on, you crazy diamond. :downsrim:

Welp. Well, Terraria's code is a pretty much one giant coding horror so :v: We'll see how it goes.

Edit: I've read the code backwards. Bosses spawn if you are over the world surface. So staying underground for a night should be a safe option.

omeg fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 20, 2013

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Well, that's a bit close for comfort. :ohdear:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Welp, got stupidly reckless in Hell and melted in lava. Turns out you can't mirror out fast enough! RIP :supaburn:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

drat, I need more play time. My second ~successful~ hardcore character is nearing the end of pre-hardmode like the previous one. Also I just flooded half of the dungeon. Glad I have the diving gear.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Now it's a proper dungeon. With BLOOD! :unsmigghh:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Got back to my hardcore char after a few days break. Was happily exploring the jungle and suddenly BOOM, TNT trap. Survived with ~100 HP. :aaa:

One of those killed my previous char, at least it was very early on. I guess I need to walk with the wrench active all the time.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

So I finally took my hardcore character into hardmode after constructing a proper floating base. Killed WoF 3 times or so, got laser rifle and stuff. And then...

Welp. I'm sure I can handle that! :haw:
It took a lot of time and running around inside/outside the house to not risk it, but I guess it paid off:

After that I finally went to smash altars, mined, killed WoF few more times (still no clockwork rifle) and now have full Orichalcum armor. God, that looks awful. At least my strategy for avoiding spontaneous boss spawns works: you just need to spend nights underground.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

carnassials posted:

All the boss spawns I've encountered in hardmode have been when I'm underground. And can't you just magic mirror away when the boss spawns?

Weird, are you sure you were below "sea level" depth? I've gotten "terrible night" and "cold air" messages, but I've stayed below ground and the boss never spawned. Reading the code seems to confirm that behavior.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

That's why I never take off the watch until I'm reasonably ready to take on the bosses. :v:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Hardcore trip report:
Orichalcum armor is awesome with the rain spell, so much incidental damage with little effort.
Poison Staff dropped from some spiders, that's a pretty solid spell shotgun.
Farmed some ichor. Golden Shower rocks as much as people say.
My Snow biome seems to be overtaken by Hallow. It's a pretty nice mix of stuff inside but I have trouble finding Pixies and getting dust for potions.
One night I got bored of staying underground in the fear of a boss spawn and decided to risk it since there was no boss spawn message this time. Well hello there Skeleton Prime! Seems that when the "spawn boss" flag is set it persists for a long time. :v: I fought him, didn't have that much trouble staying alive. The DPS part was definitely a problem though. I saw that I couldn't kill him before night's end so I jumped into my hellevator. Thankfully he didn't follow and apparently despawned.
Knowing that I'm pretty good on the survivability front and having the Golden Shower I decided to not avoid boss spawns any more. I've set up some heart/star statues in the arena above my fortress. Destroyer appeared and went down like a chump, I don't think I even needed to drink a potion once.
I made a Drax from the hallowed bars. Then I realized I could've made a pickaxe. I hate drills. Oh well, at least I can mine chlorophyte now.
Finally made home for Truffle and bought the spear. Wasted all my money on Lightning Boots reforges.
Bought a few teleporters from the steampunker girl and sealed my base shut, just in case.
Had my first solar eclipse. Fought the mob head on with the help of my dart trap pit. Got two bat wings, a broken hero sword, moon stone and an eye spring. Also an Alien outfit from a goodie bag.
I guess a trip to the Jungle is in order. Was there before to check on things, moss hornets were kind of a pain but manageable. Could use some turtle shells as well.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

HC trip report: RIP :gibs:
Paladins really don't gently caress around.

I've recreated the character and am playing in the same world to at least see all the new stuff, but the challenge is over. Maybe some other time... :arghfist::reject:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

:stare:

IRC posted:

00:32 < omeg> huh.. spectre armor with butterfly wings seem... appropriate, somehow
00:33 < omeg> BUTTERFLY OF DOOM
00:33 < omeg> although it doesn't feel that OP
00:38 < omeg> hm, shadowbeam staff
00:39 < omeg> holy poo poo this is nice
00:39 < omeg> and inferno fork just dropped \o\
00:40 < omeg> and another one @_@
00:40 < omeg> lol
00:42 < omeg> oh god, NOW I'm the proper butterfly of doom
00:42 < omeg> and magnet sphere
00:42 < omeg> I think something broke
00:43 < omeg> I was in the dungeon for hours and only got ectoplasm and some trinkets

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I've also got a black belt, a tabi and two bone feathers now. Praise the RNG!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

There should be multiple bulbs anyway so just look around the jungle.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Yes, characters transfer between single and multiplayer. You can make a server that forces server-side characters but that's another story.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Speaking of modding, I will always wonder what this game would be like if it were as open to modding as Minecraft was.
An official modding API could have changed everything.

I remember trying to mod some stuff long time ago. Since the game is in C# it's not hard to decompile it (that's how TShock server got created I guess). It wasn't terribly difficult but the quality of the code was so loving bad I just wanted to cry.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

You can try using TShock sources, it should be pretty easy.

E: the HP thing at least. I'm afraid pickaxe mechanics would require some code changes.

omeg fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 8, 2014

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

TShock has a command to set the time of day so there's that at least.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

So how exactly will it be different from Terraria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I'm loving hyped. These devs are insane :magical:

• Locked thread