Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Joshlemagne posted:

I don't know why it bothers people so much that broken stuff is in the game. If that's not the playstyle you like then simply don't use it. I kind of prefer being able to do what I want in the game rather than spending dozens of hours hand crafting the perfect fight arena and grinding for the super low drop things to make fights possible. And there's so much crap in the game that even if you nerf one broken thing chances are something will be there to replace it. I see this with so many games lately where people play a game a bunch to the point where it becomes easy to them then demand the developers make it harder and harder until it's basically impossible for all but a tiny percent of people to play and have fun with it. Especially considering the building/exploration aspect of the game not everyone is looking for a ridiculously tough, white-knuckle fight from the bosses. Some people just want to see what the game has to offer and build cool poo poo and offering a way to trivialize the bosses if killing bosses isn't your thing and you want to put in the effort doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

There's other caster gear if you want to play a caster without being 'broken'. It's still possible to win the fights as melee or ranged so you're not forced to use the broken stuff. If you want the bosses to be harder challenge yourself to re-fight them by putting self-imposed restrictions on the gear or consumables you use. I don't really understand how nerfing the specter gear makes the game more fun for anyone.

I pretty much agree with you, but this sort of near-crusade happens in basically every game ever. Wish I could understand the mindset that generates it, but it is what it is. :shobon:

Meanwhile, I'll just keep digging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

The argument is less 'the Spectre set absolutely needs to be nerfed' and more 'let's not make other parts of the game harder just to compensate for it'. At least, that's what it started as.

I can acquiesce to that argument, then, yeah. Like Powercrazy said, the reward for dragging yourself up from scraps to godhood should be... godhood. IMO at least, being able to completely trivialize poo poo that used to be horrifying owns.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kanos posted:

A lot of people play cooperatively with friends and it's never fun to want to play one way but realize that you're just arbitrarily shittier than a friend who wants to play another way just because. If something is way too good it can ruin the experience accidentally in that kind of environment, too.

That's fine. Tell your friend "hey, this is kinda boring when you trivialize poo poo, could you wear something else?" If they're not a douchebag, they'll probably do so. I would.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Synastren posted:

Basically, it would be better to slightly nerf Magnet Sphere's damage per hit than it would be to nerf the set bonus of Spectre armor.

Or maybe make the lifesteal reduced on multi-impact spells? I only started recently despite owning the game for ages, but if Magnet Sphere hits an enemy X times whereas like the Diamond Staff only hits once, maybe the lifesteal could be reduced by a degree. Kinda like reduced lifesteal on multi-hit ranged weapons in PSO.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Vatek posted:

I'm not sure exactly where it stores character/world data but this would be totally doable with a USB key.

My Documents\My Games\Terraria, by default.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I am sure this is old hat by now but I just finished my Ivy Whip and holy poo poo. This is AWESOME.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Man, I was way more worried about the Eye of Cthulhu than I should've been. Being able to loving Spiderman my way around my world's living tree and a nearby tower I'd built combined with my Diamond Staff made quick work of him. :science:

If I felt he was really, really easy, do I stand a good chance versus the Eater?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, I've either got a full set of Platinum Armor or a full set of Jungle Armor, plus my Diamond Staff and a Phaseblade, and the Musket from my first Shadow Orb.

I may hold off on going after him until I get the Tinkerer, though, so I can merge some of my accessories (get a Blizzard in a Balloon, Mana Flower, etc).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Tollymain posted:

Oh yeah you are more than loving ready go kill him already :v:

Oh well okay :yayclod: Of course I gotta go find two more Orbs but whatever.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

J.A.B.C. posted:

Boom! Boss fight, easy demonite ore/shadow scales. Seriously, with your gear set, it won't stand a chance.

Yeah, I've been exploring incredibly aggressively. I lucked into a huge cache of sapphires which turned into a hook and a staff, and then found a pretty decent vein of diamond - enough to make a staff, at least - and that thing has seriously been murdering everything, I love it to bits.

Glad I listened to my girlfriend, because I'd been going through a serious "nothing sounds fun to play" funk but goddamn this game is great. :neckbeard:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fortis posted:

I keep seeing screenshots of people in the Spectre Armor set (I think) with what looks like a little skull ghost floating over their heads. What is that? I guess it's not a pet, but I can't figure it out. It doesn't seem to be a result of the Spectre Armor set bonus, which seems to be entirely stat-based. Can anyone tell me what that little dude is? Cause I want one.

edit: Just to clarify, it's definitely not the baby Skeletron head. It's like... a little cartoon skull surrounded by a blue flame.

Maybe it's this?

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Wisp_in_a_Bottle

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zereth posted:

I built a branch off my hellevator a bit under where the dirt wall appears to make clorphylyte incubators and they're working. Depth meters do not seem to be obtainable anymore though and I don't have any old characters around to raid for one so I don't know how deep I am.

I got a Depth Meter a couple of days ago, but I couldn't tell you what from. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I stole a bed from hell. Today was a good day for digging.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So you guys were right, Skeletron wasn't poo poo. And then I punched into the dungeon and got a Aqua Scepter and Water Bolt! Goddamn they're so much fun to play with. :neckbeard: Running around in robes spraying monsters with a magical hose is too drat fun.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

That looks like an Emerald to me. Not sure why it'd randomly appear though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kin posted:

I think the problem might be the wiki. It's full of useful information but when i last looked at it i couldn't find a progression guide of any kind.

There's this one that I used a bit: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Walkthrough

It doesn't have new 1.2 stuff yet, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

A lack of Demon Scythe drops is getting on my nerves. loving demons. :argh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

What are you saying here, spawn rates go up just from having a water candle in your inventory, if you place them on the ground or both?

According to the wiki, a placed Water Candle has the same effect (but does not stack with) a held Water Candle.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

Huh? The wiki says the opposite:

Oh. Clearly I should not try to read the wiki while distracted at work then. :doh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zemyla posted:

The vast majority of metals are silvery in real life. They probably exaggerate/change the colors so people aren't going, "Is this Tin, Iron, Silver, Platinum, Palladium, Mythril, or Titanium?"

I still have that issue between Silver and Platinum. :saddowns:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

I don't understand, this game has some sort of progression, but I have yet to even come across any of it. Just a lot of holes and bypassing large bodies of water in dungeons.

Progression is kinda open-ended, and it's as you find things.

That Walkthrough link I linked earlier is decent for pre-hardmode.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

voltron lion force posted:

When I first started this last playthrough I found a floating island pretty early since its right above my base and the Starfury I found there lasted me well into hard mode. I'm not sure there is a better item for scouting out caves.

Eventually Demon Scythe will beat it out, depending. The sparks/light from it impacting a wall travels a long time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Edwhirl posted:

Well, my last attempt was 3 ingame days before the first. Maybe, I guess.

I had an issue like this and it was due to the fact that I didn't have a valid home for the new Guide. Check that? :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So I finally made a world with Crimson and rushed it to hard mode and got my stuff for a Golden Shower and holy poo poo. :iia:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Good work, there, Necromancer. You're sure threatening now.

(Actually they're always threatening because jesus christ, the Hard Mode Dungeon does not gently caress around)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

It annoys me to a significant degree that I now have four Bone Feathers but no Wisp in a Bottle or Magnet Sphere. :argh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

A decent mid-level gun (clockwork assault rifle is a good start), gobs of cursed/crystal bullets, lightning boots, and a long sky runway make the twins pretty easy. Just continuously run backwards and shoot them. With the lightning boots they should basically never catch up.

That's how I dispatched the Twins as my first HM boss, but with Crystal Storm instead of a gun. Careful use of wings flight just barely let me dodge Spazmatism's crazy-rear end charges.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah Golden Shower completely chumps the Destroyer. That spell is so loving good - I carry it around in my ranged build because a quick spritz makes my explosive-ammo megashark do much more damage for a bit.

I'm curious if the defense-reducing effects stack on The Destroyer, because each individual segment you hit gets off-colored like normal.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fewd posted:

I've gotten every dungeon drop a few times over now except not a single wisp in a bottle or sniper rifle. These loving droprates :suicide:

I got like three rifles, which are no use to me as a magic-based player. :v:

I finally got my wisp though, it's a cutie. :kimchi:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

voltron lion force posted:

Yeah I think boss farming is definitely the most efficient. A safer way I guess you could call it would be to get a shitload of obsidian (pretty easy to do) and craft obsidian skulls to sell.

Doubly so if you build an obsidian generator.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

It would be really neat if they were more diverse, though. Modifiers with "+% chance not to use ammo" or "+# extra projectiles" would be really neat to mess around with and let you make cool gimmick builds.

Those would be cool and not imbalanced (IMO), given that -% Mana Cost exists.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Personally, I'd settle for one that just increased the drop rate on monster banners.
I want those loving banners.

I have so many banners that dropped instead of stuff that I'm after that they are starting to remind me of photon drops from PSO. "Oh, a thing! gently caress, it's a banner! :argh:"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

RatHat posted:

I can't even guess at how long it'd take to farm the rare spawn banners like the Groom, Tim, Pinky, Goblin scout ect.

Of those, only looks like Goblin Scouts have a banner - Tim and Groom don't have one and Pinky just drops a generic Slime Banner (at least all according to the wiki)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

morcant posted:

Thanks, guys. :) I did place that stone block myself in a fit of trying to get the door put down, since the wiki was of little help. But I'll go back and replace the floor when I can... Honestly, now that I have more of an understanding what houses are - I'm carrying over a lot of Minecraft habits where I'd look for a cool cave to build a house in - I might just start over on the surface rather than spend time hollowing out that whole hillside.

Nah, building sweet hobbit holes in a hillside is awesome. This is what my girlfriend and I have cobbled together on our multiplayer server (or at least an older version of it, we've got a few more rooms now):

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

morcant posted:

Oh. Well poo poo, that looks pretty cool, too. I also really like the look of the ice walls, and the ... Well, everything. I need to go exploring and get some materials for color torches - though I do like my Star in a Bottle. Thus far it's been me hollowing out the hill while my boyfriend runs around collecting stuff in caves. Now that we've got a couple chests for me to store stuff in, I want to go explore a bit - especially since there's a winter/ice biome right nearby.

Yeah, we've been trying to tailor the decor of each room to the occupant of said room - the super pink room with the pink vase is the Party Girl's room, the dark room with the Clothier painting is the Clothier's room, etc.

We built a room totally out of clouds and cloud walls for our Nurse yesterday; I'll get pics of what our hobbit hole looks like now when I get home from work.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Breaky posted:

Meteor strike?

quote:

16% of the world centered on your spawn point is protected from falling meteors. Also meteor won't fall within 25 blocks of a player, NPC or a chest.

So it ought not really be an issue.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

morcant posted:

Oh. Well poo poo, that looks pretty cool, too. I also really like the look of the ice walls, and the ... Well, everything. I need to go exploring and get some materials for color torches - though I do like my Star in a Bottle. Thus far it's been me hollowing out the hill while my boyfriend runs around collecting stuff in caves. Now that we've got a couple chests for me to store stuff in, I want to go explore a bit - especially since there's a winter/ice biome right nearby.

Here's what our most recent updates look like:

For some reason, when it blizzards, it shows even indoors. :iiam:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

AceClown posted:

Really annoyed that my Temple didn't have a golem altar, so I go to a new world, search for ages to find it, get to the door and realise that the temple key a one shot item and now I'll have to kill plantera again..

Very annoying

Bring a pair of teleporters from your other world's Steampunker and rig them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The Leper Colon V posted:

That is a really cool idea. Dunno what I'll make the chain out of, though, and I'm worried it'll be really easy to screw up and make it look dumb.

Probably Tungsten Bricks, if you can get enough raw Tungsten Ore to make it happen. (1 Stone and 1 Tungsten at a furnace)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

benzine posted:

Finally got the wyvern banner, so I have all the monster banners. :shepface:

Now you're going to curate them in a detailed museum-like hallway in alphabetical order, right?

• Locked thread